ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond at Butler

So, Doc is a Fan of the Coach or a Hater of the Ex-Coach. Either way, not everyone is gonna agree.

Turnovers / mistakes ended up being about equal. Butler had them in the 1st half and Richmond had them in the 2nd half.

Zeigler completed 9 passes in the 1st half for 186 yards and 3 TDs. Cheek countered by going 22 of 26 for 267 yds and 4 TDs, mostly in the 2nd half. Richmond also had several long gainers on the ground, so I'm guessing without seeing the final numbers that the total yardage for both teams ended up being pretty even.

Turnovers / mistakes ended up being about equal. Butler had them in the 1st half and Richmond had them in the 2nd half.

Zeigler completed 9 passes in the 1st half for 186 yards and 3 TDs. Cheek countered by going 22 of 26 for 267 yds and 4 TDs, mostly in the 2nd half. Richmond also had several long gainers on the ground, so I'm guessing without seeing the final numbers that the total yardage for both teams ended up being pretty even.
Which equals= not great defense on both programs(at least for this game)

Which equals= not great defense on both programs(at least for this game)
Butler's corner play is killing them at the moment. The run defense is very stout up the middle, but anything on the outside is a problem, especially against teams with great speed like Mallard Creek and Richmond. I was hoping that Butler's best corner (Brown) would dress for this game, but he didn't. The other corner (Cureton) is still limping around since getting hurt against Mallard Creek. Butler played several bodies tonight trying to find someone that was effective, but none of them looked very good to me. Brown can't get back into the lineup soon enough, Butler really needs him. In the meantime, if you get the ball out to the perimeter quickly against the Butler D, good things will happen for you.

Richmond's run D also looked pretty good to me. I don't know if it's stop Zamir good, but it's good enough to stuff most of the teams they'll play this year. The pass defense is not great (understatement), but Butler presents a unique skillset in the passing game that Richmond won't see from anyone else they'll play in the regular season. Butler's pass attack is very sophisticated and very, very good when it's clicking (which is was tonight). Looking down the remainder of Richmond's schedule, pass defense will not be a drawback for them. Maybe in the playoffs, but that's to figure out later. Dudley's rush attack vs Richmond's rush D will be very interesting for me to see.

Butler's corner play is killing them at the moment. The run defense is very stout up the middle, but anything on the outside is a problem, especially against teams with great speed like Mallard Creek and Richmond. I was hoping that Butler's best corner (Brown) would dress for this game, but he didn't. The other corner (Cureton) is still limping around since getting hurt against Mallard Creek. Butler played several bodies tonight trying to find someone that was effective, but none of them looked very good to me. Brown can't get back into the lineup soon enough, Butler really needs him. In the meantime, if you get the ball out to the perimeter quickly against the Butler D, good things will happen for you.

Richmond's run D also looked pretty good to me. I don't know if it's stop Zamir good, but it's good enough to stuff most of the teams they'll play this year. The pass defense is not great (understatement), but Butler presents a unique skillset in the passing game that Richmond won't see from anyone else they'll play in the regular season. Butler's pass attack is very sophisticated and very, very good when it's clicking (which is was tonight). Looking down the remainder of Richmond's schedule, pass defense will not be a drawback for them. Maybe in the playoffs, but that's to figure out later. Dudley's rush attack vs Richmond's rush D will be very interesting for me to see.
they will keep him under 125 if the oline play at sc doesn't get better and some sense of a passing game is developed

Great essay Hokie
You break it down good. Are you by chance a journalist sir?

So, Doc is a Fan of the Coach or a Hater of the Ex-Coach. Either way, not everyone is gonna agree.

The new coach is better than the 0 adjustment old coach...Lucky him, T. Wiley caught absolute fire in 08 or he’d be gone a long time ago..

Special Teams cost the Raiders the game...Kick off return 90 yards , untouched.......Blocked extra point kick right up the gut......Two punts under 10-15 yards.....Blown field goal with 50 seconds left to win game ...Dont even get the kick attempt off from about 15 yards out, on 4th and 4.....Not to mention , I'm thinking 6-7 holding calls against us to ONE for them....I'm sure the Raiders had 100 yards of penalties at least... ..Sort of reminded me of the Page game from last year with the special team play.......No excuse for the confusion on the game winning fg attempt.....We did have a TIMEOUT ALSO.....Oh well, great game for us fans to watch....We had a few chances in the last minutes to win that game ..Hats off to butler....We didnt blitz tonight as much as usual...Seems like the few times we did they had the right call for it...We did seem a little confused in the secondary a few times....On several instances the qb just had to much time to throw and found open receivers...Oh well it's over ...Lets get ready for Southview at Raiderville...Proud of our team and coaches for the effort they gave tonight....It was worth the drive up and the price of admission....nuff said...

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc Holliday-JB
I caught it trying to get work done on the road and make it to this game. I will say it was worth it. Not the greatest execution at times, but entertaining by any football fans standards.

We owned the first half and Butler owned the second half. I would echo Hokies analogy. I was very pleased with our play in the first half. The lines held their own. Butler looked flat to me, but I think we hit them pretty hard and they awoke in the second half. Great adjustments by Butler in the 2nd and they played with some real energy. I would have at least like to have seen the field goal attempt get kicked, but the holder was looking at the coach when the ball was snapped. If we would have hit it, still time for Butler to score though.

You could look at every post I have made and never comment on calls. I thought they were awful and I also think we could spend a good week working on penalties. Lots Were legit, but a few I have no clue what happened and I don't think they did either. By no means the reason we lost as we had chances.

More later, but great game to watch.

The game...

1. The Refs...wow!
2. Raider Offense - Can't be stopped in first half and can't find their butts with both hands in the second half - see #1 for some (not all) of the reason
3. Big time props to the Butler student section - Great display of patriotism - singing the national anthem with the band was awesome!!!

Some stats of note:

Butler was flagged 14 times (nearly all in the 1st half) and Richmond was flagged 18 times (nearly all in the 2nd half).

Richmond QB Ziegler had 9 completions for 187 yds and 4 TDs in the 1st half, and added 40 more yds in the 2nd half.

Butler QB Cheek went 22 of 26 for 265 yds and 4 TDs, mostly in the 2nd half.

Richmond RB Bennett had 5 carries for 96 yds and a TD in the 1st half, and finished with 146 yds for the game.

Butler WR Kusegi Cureton caught 9 passes for 125 yds and 3 TDs.

Last edited:
It's time to quit talking about the old coach Doc. This Coach has yet to beat a Big-time Charlotte team. His adjustment last night was to turn a 16 pt halftime lead into a loss. A well-coached disciplined team would've won that game last night.

It's time to quit talking about the old coach Doc. This Coach has yet to beat a Big-time Charlotte team. His adjustment last night was to turn a 16 pt halftime lead into a loss. A well-coached disciplined team would've won that game last night.
I think Hales made adjustments to beat Richmond more so than Coach C making bad adjustments. Hales is one of the best coaches I've ever seen at adjustments.

Reactions: Doc Holliday-JB
The game...

1. The Refs...wow!
2. Raider Offense - Can't be stopped in first half and can't find their butts with both hands in the second half - see #1 for some (not all) of the reason
3. Big time props to the Butler student section - Great display of patriotism - singing the national anthem with the band was awesome!!!

Twister...Could you provide the game stats for each team? #3-the Butler students-They really cheer hard and agree with your comment.

Twister...Could you provide the game stats for each team? #3-the Butler students-They really cheer hard and agree with your comment.

Unfortunately I don't have a stat guy this year and tho I tried, I just can't do both. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT