ADVERTISEMENT

Richlands football coach steps down

If Dlee were still around he could name off player after player that should have been Richland's players, but played at SWO or Jacksonville. Richland's is battling there conference and also playing some very good teams from the area. If someone has 4-6 years then they may turn Richland's around, but the job has potential (Walmart changed people's perception of Richland's and they are growing with houses out that way).

Reactions: UNC91
I guess I heard wrong. I hate to say this, but we will be having this conversation in another 3 years. Good luck to all.

Reactions: UNC91
I dont think the principal is real sports savvy to say the least. It is sad because they had a legend and I think they can win there.

I think they wanted a commitment to the future from a solid coach, instead of a legend for just a year or two until the Jacksonville job might open.

Coach Dempsey is our coach now and for the future. Coach Padgett chose to retire with 295 wins and then chose to turn down the Southwest job when given the offer to continue coaching after retirement.

Coach Dempsey is our coach now and for the future. Coach Padgett chose to retire with 295 wins and then chose to turn down the Southwest job when given the offer to continue coaching after retirement.

Hahahha you must be out the loop there young one. But keep thinking like that Welcome to the boards haha

Hahahha you must be out the loop there young one. But keep thinking like that Welcome to the boards haha
Hahahha, “young one”? I was a Stallion when you were still crapping in your britches, son.
And I’ve forgot more about Stallion football than most have ever known. My son played on the 2009 team that went to state and I played on the 1980 team that was the first to the Eastern Finals. I remember as teenagers, we helped pick up the roots and lighter knots that were left when the land was cleared for the football field.

I was on the message boards years ago, but it got old and I forgot my old login, so I had to make a new one. I’ve known every coach well from years in the booster club. I remember when some were against Phil like they are against Coach Dempsey now. Luckily, they gave Phil a chance and supported him, instead of agreeing with Principal Jay Randall, who wanted to hire a more experienced coach. It turned out very well and we got to see him grow and learn each year and I think it turned out very well. Don’t you agree?

1) Nobody is against Dempsey, all coaches face difficult parents of players

2) Dempsey is turning into a very good head coach, but as mentioned a million times high school football recruits players, especially the military kids that move in yearly. Dempsey is losing that battle (but is turning out some fantastic offensive lines). Padgett got everybody, and the rest of the area schools got players that would not see the field at SW.

3) Padgett motivated the kids who did not come from the best living situation, Dempsey reputation so far has been he would rather not be bothered (only a rumor).

4) Padgett is SW!!! Dempsey is a product of SW. Which would you rather have?

Reactions: kenan98 and UNC91
1) Nobody is against Dempsey, all coaches face difficult parents of players

2) Dempsey is turning into a very good head coach, but as mentioned a million times high school football recruits players, especially the military kids that move in yearly. Dempsey is losing that battle (but is turning out some fantastic offensive lines). Padgett got everybody, and the rest of the area schools got players that would not see the field at SW.

3) Padgett motivated the kids who did not come from the best living situation, Dempsey reputation so far has been he would rather not be bothered (only a rumor).

4) Padgett is SW!!! Dempsey is a product of SW. Which would you rather have?

Padgett was SW. He chose to retire and not come back when offered the job. This is understandable and he is enjoying his retirement. He has a great radio show where he talks about the good old days. SWO is looking to the future now, though. Coach Dempsey is our future. Time to move on. Coach Padgett had to learn his way the first few years too, and he was already a head coach on the JV level. That helped him a great deal. Coach Dempsey was thrown into the deep end of the pool in April when Phil decided he didn’t want to come back and was handed a bare cupboard with a team without hardly any skilled players. He is learning his way very well, though. Both Coach Padgett’s and Coach Dempsey’s first 5 years are very similar.

Reactions: kenan98
WOW!! Very similar coaching starts:

Padgett started in the weak Coastal Plains 1A and Dempsey jumped into the tough East Central 2A for his first 2 years and has been in the weak Coastal 8 2A/1A the last three. Neither one could control what conference they were in and both took care of business in the weaker conferences, as they should. After starting out 7-4 and 4-2 conference his first season, Padgett won 4 straight Coastal Plains titles in his 2nd-5th seasons, winning 24 straight conference games. Dempsey won 3 straight Coastal 8 titles in his 3rd-5th seasons, winning 21 straight conference games. Padgett won 5 playoff games in his first 5 years, despite losing his first playoff game 51-8 to North Duplin in 1988. Dempsey won 8 playoff games in his first 5 years, despite not making the playoffs his first season in 2015 in the East Central Conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenan98
Coach Padgett won 44 games in his first 5 seasons and took SWO to one Eastern final in his first 5 seasons (in his second season in 1989). Coach Dempsey won 43 games in his first 5 seasons and took SWO to two Eastern finals in his first 5 seasons (in seasons 3 and 4 in 2017 and 2018).

All this being said, is Coach Dempsey as good a coach as Coach Padgett, obviously not at this point due to years of experience. Is he as good after their first 5 seasons? Numbers would indicate so. Looking forward to the next 20 years with Coach Dempsey leading us.
GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: kenan98 and SWO-#1
Coach Padgett won 44 games in his first 5 seasons and took SWO to one Eastern final in his first 5 seasons (in his second season in 1989). Coach Dempsey won 43 games in his first 5 seasons and took SWO to two Eastern finals in his first 5 seasons (in seasons 3 and 4 in 2017 and 2018).

All this being said, is Coach Dempsey as good a coach as Coach Padgett, obviously not at this point due to years of experience. Is he as good after their first 5 seasons? Numbers would indicate so. Looking forward to the next 20 years with Coach Dempsey leading us.
GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahah wow.... always wonder how a human can be so confused in life. Comparing Dempsey n Padgett is laughable. Dempsey hasnt won a big game ever. Blown out in every big game. Like my buddy posted above, no athletes will come to sw like we used to have. There is three sections in swo that have been a pipeline for years. Them boys are all going to Jville since Dempsey took over. Dempsey has no clue how to relate to the boys with less fortute kids. Compare the wins all you want. Padgett coached against clinton, ed, WRH every year in conference. ECC 2a was the best conference in the state for 15 years when padgett was there. Padgett is swo, put swo on the map. Dempsey has made swo laughable lately. Blown out by NE twice. Padgett lead SWO won the game before they stepped on the field alot of times. Dempsey lead swo puts zero fear into teams. You can keep hyping Dempsey all you want buddy. I bleed black and orange class of 81, didnt miss a game for 21 years, last four years cant go because get to upset watching Dempsey lead SWO.

I think they wanted a commitment to the future from a solid coach, instead of a legend for just a year or two until the Jacksonville job might open.

Future? They change coach's every three years, pay attention ha. Until the Jville job opens? If Padgett wanted that job he would have had it years ago, pay attention ha. Phil is in the hall of NC, pay attention ha

Hahah wow.... always wonder how a human can be so confused in life. Comparing Dempsey n Padgett is laughable. Dempsey hasnt won a big game ever. Blown out in every big game. Like my buddy posted above, no athletes will come to sw like we used to have. There is three sections in swo that have been a pipeline for years. Them boys are all going to Jville since Dempsey took over. Dempsey has no clue how to relate to the boys with less fortute kids. Compare the wins all you want. Padgett coached against clinton, ed, WRH every year in conference. ECC 2a was the best conference in the state for 15 years when padgett was there. Padgett is swo, put swo on the map. Dempsey has made swo laughable lately. Blown out by NE twice. Padgett lead SWO won the game before they stepped on the field alot of times. Dempsey lead swo puts zero fear into teams. You can keep hyping Dempsey all you want buddy. I bleed black and orange class of 81, didnt miss a game for 21 years, last four years cant go because get to upset watching Dempsey lead SWO.
It's a different time, and a different era, Dempsey has done a great job, especially given all the negative things you have stated about him. SWO is still one of the best 2a programs in the East. I think that says a lot about how good of a coach he is.

So Dempsey coaches with less talent then Phil had? Im seriously asking a question, no opinion on the matter. Only see y'all the first game every year and we know how that goes. Wink Wink.

So Dempsey coaches with less talent then Phil had? Im seriously asking a question, no opinion on the matter. Only see y'all the first game every year and we know how that goes. Wink Wink.

Not at all. Just said that walked into a bad situation his first season, not being named until so late and inheriting a team with very few skilled players.

Reactions: redskins55

Did you not have Mrs. Pawlowski for reading comprehension?? I said their first 5 years are very similar, no way to compare over 25 years until it happens. Phil struggled with big games in the first 5 years, too. Blown out by 1A North Duplin 51-8 in his first playoff game. Had the #1 team in the state in 1991 and lost first round of the playoffs to the #16 seed. Since you know so much about Stallion football, you would think that you would know that we were in the weak ass Coastal Plains conference from 1985 to 1996. Phil's first year in the East Central was 1997. You haven't been to a game since Coach Padgett left? Sounds like you bleed Phil Padgett, not orange and black.

GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!!!

Going to the East Central in 1997 was great for Stallion Football. Coach Padgett had been a coach for about 10 years and was up to the task. The better competition and his coaching experience really launched SWO football to the next level. Never said that Coach Padgett isn't a great coach or that Coach Dempsey is a great coach. Just that their first 5 years are almost identical and I'm glad that in 1987 the Southwest community gave Coach Padgett support and got behind him. Coach Dempsey deserves the same support.

GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!

Dempsey had HUGE shoes to fill. Hes gone to 2 eastern finals. At Dixon, Swansboro, white oak or Richlands they would build this dude a shrine. Give him time. You guys are like Duke basketball fans, Spoiled to the gills.

Dempsey had HUGE shoes to fill. Hes gone to 2 eastern finals. At Dixon, Swansboro, white oak or Richlands they would build this dude a shrine. Give him time. You guys are like Duke basketball fans, Spoiled to the gills.

Not me, brother. I have supported whoever coaches and whoever plays for the Stallions!!! I think Coach Dempsey is doing a great job.
Redskins55, can you see the similarities in the first 5 years that I was trying to point out?

Honestly man, I see both sides. Never really paid attention to Southwest but had a few old Paradise Pier buddies that went there. I know Phil, he went to school with my sister at Jacksonville Senior. Always been cool. All i know about Dempsey is he's been one game away from the State Championship twice. And hes done it relatively fast. Take in consideration that Dixon nor south lenoir have ever won a high school playoff football game. I mean in like 40 years. That puts things in perspective.

This Richlands thread went south pretty quick, about halfway thru the first page. Now all about SWO.

I got hooked on SWO in 1982. Got stationed at Camp Lejeune. Watched the Devil Pubs that year. SWO beat them, Was only one of few games the Stallions won that year. But from that game on I went to all SouthWest games. There was just something about the way they played. Went thru 2 coaches prior to Phil. I think I probably missed less than 10 games form mid 1982 thru 2012. I retired in 2013 and moved out of state. Live in Missouri now but make it back for some games and listen to the Broadcast every Friday Night.

Is Dempsey a good coach, I think so. He will have some tough years all all the prior coaches did. Will he win some big ones, probably.

GO STALLIOOOOOOOOOOONS

Did you not have Mrs. Pawlowski for reading comprehension?? I said their first 5 years are very similar, no way to compare over 25 years until it happens. Phil struggled with big games in the first 5 years, too. Blown out by 1A North Duplin 51-8 in his first playoff game. Had the #1 team in the state in 1991 and lost first round of the playoffs to the #16 seed. Since you know so much about Stallion football, you would think that you would know that we were in the weak ass Coastal Plains conference from 1985 to 1996. Phil's first year in the East Central was 1997. You haven't been to a game since Coach Padgett left? Sounds like you bleed Phil Padgett, not orange and black.

GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!!!

Okay smart guy. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. If you think Dempsey will win a title at SWO your drinking way to much. The way Tim Foster did Phil was wrong period. He didnt want to retire, he was forced out. Hence the reason Dempsey first year was so bad. SWO had abput 10-12 kids not play their senior year, they didnt want to play for Dempsey. Football these days, you cant compare to the late 90s and early 2000s.

Okay smart guy. Whatever makes you sleep better at night. If you think Dempsey will win a title at SWO your drinking way to much. The way Tim Foster did Phil was wrong period. He didnt want to retire, he was forced out. Hence the reason Dempsey first year was so bad. SWO had abput 10-12 kids not play their senior year, they didnt want to play for Dempsey. Football these days, you cant compare to the late 90s and early 2000s.

Come check out a game this fall and check out the kids playing for the school you claim to bleed orange and black for.

GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach Padgett is loved by all of us and is a legend. He went to his first State Title game in his 12th season and won his first State Title in his 13th season. Glad no fair weather fans like some of y'all didn't run him off before he got the experience to get it done. Stallions will get to another East Final this season and very well could go beyond. Come check out the kids playing at Phil Padgett Field at The Corral. They deserve our support.

GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come check out a game this fall and check out the kids playing for the school you claim to bleed orange and black for.

GO STALLIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the same there buddy, when i wore SWO Jersey it meant a littlw different. What years did you suite up??????? You been arpund Padgett for 30 plus years?????

You guys should settle this with a good old Oklahoma drill at Onslow Pines Park. If you are as old as me, just make sure the Haws Run EMT's are there with Oxygen and a stretcher.

Not the same there buddy, when i wore SWO Jersey it meant a littlw different. What years did you suite up??????? You been arpund Padgett for 30 plus years?????
Just made my point for me. You bleed Padgett, not Orange and Black and SWO. I helped clear the field as a teenager and I've been there ever since. Supported Coaches Boyle, Stefano, Nobles, Wall, Padgett and Dempsey. If you want to live in the good old days, Coach Padgett has his radio show every Friday at 9am where you can hear about things from the past. Some great stories him and his guests talk about. The memories are awesome!!

And I never had a suite out there, but I suited up in the 80s and my son played in '08 and '09.

I'm so thankful for Coach Padgett and all he did for Southwest High School. He is truly a legend with all of us SWO fans. I'm so glad that the narrowminded folks back in 1988 didn't get their way and we decided to give him a chance as our Coach. UNC91, I'd encourage you to do the same with Coach Dempsey. See you on a State Championship Saturday soon!!

I'm so thankful for Coach Padgett and all he did for Southwest High School. He is truly a legend with all of us SWO fans. I'm so glad that the narrowminded folks back in 1988 didn't get their way and we decided to give him a chance as our Coach. UNC91, I'd encourage you to do the same with Coach Dempsey. See you on a State Championship Saturday soon!!

Ok buddy, if you say sir. Ill agree to disagree. Hope for the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT