ADVERTISEMENT

Reidsville Vs Shelby

Reidsville needs to find some depth. Even with the lineman we had out, even if he played it wouldn’t have made any difference. They were way too big and athletic for us. No disrespect to #65, he did the best he could but he only weights around 185 lbs going against a 300lb D1 nose guard he’s Not going to win that battle.

Reidsville needs to find some depth. Even with the lineman we had out, even if he played it wouldn’t have made any difference. They were way too big and athletic for us. No disrespect to #65, he did the best he could but he only weights around 185 lbs going against a 300lb D1 nose guard he’s Not going to win that battle.
This man doesn’t posts much, but shoots it to you straight, whenever he does.

• Haha
Reactions: dogs79 and UNC91
Was livermush being sold on the visitors side?
Thought I would head that way Friday….but I’d hate for there to be a dam misunderstanding! I’ll show my ass!😜

I was Sitting on the Reidsville side and when the linemen came in I said that they were gonna be in trouble if that all the linemen that they had....

I was really impressed with Reidsvilles defense ... to hold Shelby in checkout for as long as they did was good but it felt like Shelby controlled the entire game and it was never in doubt

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
Going into the game, I had several questions:
  • Would Reidsville have difficulty with an almost 3 hour road trip to play a playoff game against an equally athletic team?
  • Would Shelby be able to pressure the QB, since I expected Reidsville to run the quick game passes where the QB throws very quickly to one of their excellent receivers out on the numbers?
  • Would Shelby be able to stop the big running back, who showed his speed and ability to break tackles?
  • Would Shelby be able to protect the QB and establish any type of running game against the talented DL and LBs from Reidsville?
  • Would Reidsville be able to stay fresh if the game got to the 4th quarter with so many of their players playing both offense and defense?
The questions were answered rather forcefully in Shelby's favor.
Playing exclusively home games throughout the playoffs (for a number of years) may have hurt the Rams when they had to travel this time.
The Shelby front 7 was dominant and stopped Reidsville from doing much damage, except for the 82 yard TD pass and the 75 yard TD run.
Shelby's offensive line did better than expected and actually outrushed the Rams and gave Daylin Lee enough time to find receivers, especially in the flats and across the middle.
The Golden Lions seemed to play faster and were fresh in the second half and Reidsville definitely wilted later in the game.

When it's all said and done, both teams have great tradition and lots to be proud of. This year, the Golden Lions were the superior team.
Next week is a new challenge for Shelby and they need to put this game behind them and prepare for another great team in the Western Finals. East Surry won their classification last year, so they know how to win it all.

Going into the game, I had several questions:
  • Would Reidsville have difficulty with an almost 3 hour road trip to play a playoff game against an equally athletic team?
  • Would Shelby be able to pressure the QB, since I expected Reidsville to run the quick game passes where the QB throws very quickly to one of their excellent receivers out on the numbers?
  • Would Shelby be able to stop the big running back, who showed his speed and ability to break tackles?
  • Would Shelby be able to protect the QB and establish any type of running game against the talented DL and LBs from Reidsville?
  • Would Reidsville be able to stay fresh if the game got to the 4th quarter with so many of their players playing both offense and defense?
The questions were answered rather forcefully in Shelby's favor.
Playing exclusively home games throughout the playoffs (for a number of years) may have hurt the Rams when they had to travel this time.
The Shelby front 7 was dominant and stopped Reidsville from doing much damage, except for the 82 yard TD pass and the 75 yard TD run.
Shelby's offensive line did better than expected and actually outrushed the Rams and gave Daylin Lee enough time to find receivers, especially in the flats and across the middle.
The Golden Lions seemed to play faster and were fresh in the second half and Reidsville definitely wilted later in the game.

When it's all said and done, both teams have great tradition and lots to be proud of. This year, the Golden Lions were the superior team.
Next week is a new challenge for Shelby and they need to put this game behind them and prepare for another great team in the Western Finals. East Surry won their classification last year, so they know how to win it all.
Great post

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Hopefully Shelby wins it all this year. And then goes undefeated in the regular season and gets shafted on their seed for the playoffs and gets a lower seed than reidsville and we can run it back next year. I can GUARANTEEE you the outcome will be totally different.

I give it to Shelby, they were DEFINITELY the better team tonight but you cannot tell me Reidsville did not deserve the 1 seed this year. Undefeated and defending state champs..Shelby with 1 loss and another close game versus a pretty good team in burns. Wish Reidsville would have been able to play Eastern Alamance. Would have given them a better test before the 3rd round of the playoffs when they let Hendersonville cut it to a 1 point game after being up 29 to 0. Even with or without playing Eastern Alamance reidsville should have been the 1 seed unless they lost to EA. Seems like the way the system is set up if Reidsville would have played EA and lost they would have gotten a higher seed regardless of winning or losing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lee pretty much hung his head after he realized his line wasn't going to be able to protect him tonight. Reidsville should have tried copying some of these pro teams this year having peoples or flippen run the ball.

Good luck to Shelby the rest of the way..hope yall win it all and hope we can run it back next year. And hopefully the state does something about this seeding system.

Reidsville did not deserve the number one seed this year.

Lol. Lots to breakdown here but I'll just hit on the big issue.... playoff seeding.

FINALLY for the first time the bracket was seeded correctly. Reidsville has always benefited from playing that cupcake schedule, going undefeated, and getting the #1 seed while Shelby is over here playing great 3A and even 4A teams, taking a loss along the way and getting crapped on in the seeding process. RPI ratings was the only way to level the schedules. It worked just as it should.

Requesting the state do something about this seeding system makes you look like a pansy. Schedule somebody and you'll be seeded accordingly next year.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
good observation but actually East Surry lost to Tarboro in the 1-A finals in the spring...Reidsville had played and beaten East Surry in the first game of the spring.....the year before (2019) East Surry won the 1-A title and had defeated Reidsville (Rams only loss that year) during the regular season 55-49....Ironically after that loss the Rams went on their 32 game winning streak only to have it snapped (big time) by Shelby last nite.............

Someone check on The Mule, though, aka
Mu’ Al Preps, aka Mule Simmons. I’m a little concerned about him. He’s one of the more vocal Ram posters, but he has yet to “report to the waterwheel” as many of the other Ram posters have. He was up at 3am pondering how wrong the algorithms were. Even went back, and re looked at them.

lol...The Mule is o.k.....he and his bride actually spent the nite in Shelby so he hasn't gotten back to the Ville to give his observations...Trust me...he will give Shelby it's due......nice to meet you last nite...hope to meet up with you again some day...y'all took us to school last nite, no doubt....I thought our D held up pretty good considering the situations they were put in...but they couldn't do it forever.....we're used to outscoring people....but y'alls D (especially the D line) wouldn't allow the Rams O to get into any kind of rhythm...........

Lol. Lots to breakdown here but I'll just hit on the big issue.... playoff seeding.

FINALLY for the first time the bracket was seeded correctly. Reidsville has always benefited from playing that cupcake schedule, going undefeated, and getting the #1 seed while Shelby is over here playing great 3A and even 4A teams, taking a loss along the way and getting crapped on in the seeding process. RPI ratings was the only way to level the schedules. It worked just as it should.

Requesting the state do something about this seeding system makes you look like a pansy. Schedule somebody and you'll be seeded accordingly next year.
We had 1 seed from 3a scheduled and it was cancelled for COVID-19 . So once again you have no idea what your talking about. But what’s new

Reidsville has been blessed to build OL around 3- and 4-year starters the last three years. Rams didn't have that luxury this season. Those guys did their best all season and paved the way for some great offensive numbers in the playoffs against Chase and Hendersonville. But the young guys (including one freshman) were no match for Santana Hopper and Malaki Hamrick last night. I believe those superstars have been 3- or 4-year starters for Shelby. Reidsville will attest that that is a huge factor. Reidsville had two linemen play in the East-West game this past summer.

• Would Reidsville have difficulty with an almost 3 hour road trip to play a playoff game against an equally athletic team? Or ANY road trip for that matter? When was the last time Reidsville played a playoff game anywhere but home? Although the obviously weaker competition Reidsville plays during their regular season enables them to rack up big win totals and high seeds, in a combined 2A, at some point that advantage won't be as pronounced as it has been. Reidsville is very good, but they remind me of the teams and conferences farther east. Wallace/Clinton (for example) can play their ENTIRE season and the first 4 rounds of the playoffs without playing much outside of their conference. When they get to the title game, they could be world beaters or just the tallest midget in the East, with no way to know for sure since they don't play anybody else. Whoever advances out of the East, no matter who it is, has too often had a much easier road to that title game.

Final thoughts…. Same as I’ve said all year.
Rams not enough players overall in depth or size. We have a good nucleus which is better than most teams. But to win a title you have to have all the above. Our defense was shaky for most of they year. OLine improved throughout the year but overmatched big time last night. Played one of their better games last night. We were not Daniel in the lions den last night. We were the sheep. Only saw Lion attack last night and enjoyed the trip down. Even though I felt we were not going to be on the winning side me and friends sucked it up and made the trip. If it comes to this point next year I’ll do the same. When and only when Shelby leads in titles will I concede anything more. Congratulations to Shelby Lions and all the Shelby posters(even though there’s a few I can’t stand). I would have to say you are the favorite for this year and probably next 2 years. But the rams will be back. I hope this motivates them like it did after the 06 loss to Cummings . Hope those few kids from middle school get some playing time next season.

Fact24, you haven’t been on here since 05, as many of us have.
Go ask your Reidsville old timers why they chose to pursue the “Capitol (sic)” nonsense, on their own, only AFTER you narrowly defeated Shelby in the 2007 title game.
Reidsville already owned the most titles, well before that.
But with the loss to Shelby in the 2005 Title game, the first meeting of the two programs, Reidsville’s awareness of Shelby’s dominance since the 60’s, and the GLARING ABSENCE of Reidsville from even a title game appearance from 71 to 01, your faithful HAD to wait for the opportune time. HAD to defeat Shelby.
It was so obvious. Even comical.
Shelby has the most wins Shelby has the most playoff wins. Shelby has the most title game appearances. Shelby has the most Titles since the merger in 1977 placed all public schools under one governing body. All performed consistently over the last six decades.
Reidsville took 31 consecutive recent years and went away.
Most of your titles came before integration and the modern era of Super Bowl football.
They all count, but to cling to that reality in the face of Shelby’s unmatched consistent domination is weak, sentimental at best.
And Reidsville has been lucky to avoid Shelby most of the time over the last 20 years, actually the last 100 years.
Or last night would have happened more often.
The debate is over.
The Shelby Golden Lions are The True Dynasty in NC high school football.

I agree with you....Reidsville scored less on Shelby than Cherryville did.....let that sink in.

I thought maybe the 2 or 3. I never thought about the 1 seed. Especially when eastern alamance got cancelled. People gotta realize the previous year has nothing to do with that season. So 16-0 state champs mean nothing the following season. That’s the beauty of the sport. Get to start all over

• Love
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I agree with you....Reidsville scored less on Shelby than Cherryville did.....let that sink in.
Shelby scored less on Reidsville than they did on Cherryville.....let that sink in, in your head full of mush. You haven't said one intelligent thing this entire season. Lawn12dog you can't even get off the porch. You live in the Cats liter box.

• Haha
Reactions: Lawn12Dog
I just got a copy of last night's statistics and they tell the story.
Shelby (which has no running game, remember?) had 160 net yards rushing and held Reidsville to 73 net yards (including the 75 yard TD run).
Shelby passed for 261 yards and held Reidsville to 124 yards (including the 82 yard TD pass).
Total yardage was 421 for Shelby and 197 for Reidsville.
Reidsville punted 6 times after punting only 23 times all year.
Shelby scored 14 points following Reidsville turnovers and also got a safety.
Shelby was penalized 10 times for 65 yards, while Reidsville had 5 for 25 yards.
Perhaps the most interesting statistic for Shelby was that they ran 69 offensive plays while Reidsville only ran 42 offensive plays.
Time of possession is rarely a Shelby strength. Of course, with the big play potential for Reidsville, I doubt it is usually one of their strengths either.

For the stat geeks
Reidsville had 73 total rushing yards (75 was on the td by Watlington at end … they lost 80 overall due to many sacks

they had 124 passing yards (82) on the bomb to Flippen

overall 197 total yards with 157 of those on two plays

shelby finished with 160 rushing and 261 passing for total of 421 yards
We sacked Lee 9 times on the night

heck of a defensive performance by the Lions against a great offensive team

Reactions: SHS LION
Someone check on The Mule, though, aka
Mu’ Al Preps, aka Mule Simmons. I’m a little concerned about him. He’s one of the more vocal Ram posters, but he has yet to “report to the waterwheel” as many of the other Ram posters have. He was up at 3am pondering how wrong the algorithms were. Even went back, and re looked at them.
Sorry to keep you from your well deserved gloating but I had other matter to attend to once we got back home today.

Congrats to Shelby on a convincing win last night over Reidsville. The Golden Lions defensive front totally dominated a young and injury riddled Rams offensive line. Possession after possession after possession the powerful Lions front humiliated the smaller Rams. And that was the game. Period.

If this had been fight the refs would have stopped it in about the sixth or seventh round via TKO. No contest.

But the visit was not a total loss. I had a great hamburger steak plate at the Shelby Cafe. With grilled onions and onion rings. Brought back memories of long ago days with long since deceased friends eating at rambbq Short Sugars. My favorite meal there.

Best of luck to the Golden Lions as they seek another state championship. Don't let this game fool you. Those pesky Cards from Pilot Mountain will put up a much better effort than you saw last night.

I just got a copy of last night's statistics and they tell the story.
Shelby (which has no running game, remember?) had 160 net yards rushing and held Reidsville to 73 net yards (including the 75 yard TD run).
Shelby passed for 261 yards and held Reidsville to 124 yards (including the 82 yard TD pass).
Total yardage was 421 for Shelby and 197 for Reidsville.
Reidsville punted 6 times after punting only 23 times all year.
Shelby scored 14 points following Reidsville turnovers and also got a safety.
Shelby was penalized 10 times for 65 yards, while Reidsville had 5 for 25 yards.
Perhaps the most interesting statistic for Shelby was that they ran 69 offensive plays while Reidsville only ran 42 offensive plays.
Time of possession is rarely a Shelby strength. Of course, with the big play potential for Reidsville, I doubt it is usually one of their strengths either.
Reidsville had 42 plays (rush & pash) for 197 yards. The 2 TD plays were 157 yards. The other 40 plays went for 40 yards.

Shelby scored less on Reidsville than they did on Cherryville.....let that sink in, in your head full of mush. You haven't said one intelligent thing this entire season. Lawn12dog you can't even get off the porch. You live in the Cats liter box.
You mad bro ? "You are a dumbfk." There- now I have said one intelligent thing .

Last year's Rams would have been better game. Too many new players not ready for the big game and no size on the line

You mad bro ? "You are a dumbfk." There- now I hav-e said one intelligent thing .
You further prove my point. I, however, do not doubt that you find that to be and intelligent reply. So for that, I excuse you. In answer to your question- No I am not mad. You do have entertainment value.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Last year's (actually earlier this year) Reidsville team would have dominated Shelby ... Hendersonville eliminated Shelby and Hendersonville was put away by Mountain Heritage. And then we saw what happened to Mountain Heritage in the championship game (6-35). That was a great Reidsville team.

This was a rebuilding year for Reidsville after huge graduation losses of all-star players and the young Rams over-accomplished to get to the final 8.

This year's Shelby (probable) state championship team is awesome. Way too much for rebuilding Rams. Props to the 2021 Golden Lions.

Last year's (actually earlier this year) Reidsville team would have dominated Shelby ... Hendersonville eliminated Shelby and Hendersonville was put away by Mountain Heritage. And then we saw what happened to Mountain Heritage in the championship game (6-35). That was a great Reidsville team.

This was a rebuilding year for Reidsville after huge graduation losses of all-star players and the young Rams over-accomplished to get to the final 8.

This year's Shelby (probable) state championship team is awesome. Way too much for rebuilding Rams. Props to the 2021 Golden Lions.
Shelby was missing several key players in that game against Hendersonville. Offense and defense.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
All these feigned shots is a little aggravating
All year we read about the unstoppable offense led by peoples and flippen! Best receivers in the state etc etc etc

then they get dominated by a superior team and it’s all the sudden “ well we’re rebuilding “ “our line is missing a player “ followed with congrats Shelby BUT we were rebuilding etc etc and we would have killed y’all last year nonsense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT