ADVERTISEMENT

REGIONAL FINALS SITES

Hon Dines

Aug 21, 2002
China Grove, NC
I just read on twitter from Nick High SchoolOT that no central locations as in the past. 8 High Schools across the state will host the Regionals. 4 in the East and 4 in the West. I'm guessing that will be what the emails will tell us. Which schools will host!

The NCHSAA will announce regional game times and locations on Wednesday morning, following Tuesday night's fourth round games.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I hope they tailor it to the schools that win tonight, choosing which site gets which game on what's most central to the matchups. The HighSchoolOT article says each class will have a site. So for instance, in 1A it would be great if they had the flexibility to choose somewhere around Asheville if it ends up being Murphy/Heritage in girls and Hayesville/Bessemer City in boys, but to choose something around Winston if, for example, it ends up being Thomasville/WSPA in boys and Bishop is in the girls' game.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan
Game times will be set by the neutral host schools and will be either 12 p.m. and 2 p.m., 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., or 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Is there any indication whether the 4 sites will be spread throughout the west (i.e. some around the Triad, some near Charlotte, maybe one farther west)? Or will they all be in the same city?

Is there any indication whether the 4 sites will be spread throughout the west (i.e. some around the Triad, some near Charlotte, maybe one farther west)? Or will they all be in the same city?
I'd say they are waiting till after round 4 to decide which site so I'm guessing it will be the closest to the teams in the West finals or state Semi-Finals. Who know what they will come up with!

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I can’t think of any Charlotte high schools with enough seating capacity to host a regional final. I’ve heard the 4 sites in the west that will be hosting and they’re actually pretty far west. 3 are west of US321.

Did the host sites choose the start times? When i first saw the locations Lee Co and Southern Lee, my thought was see as many as possible as a BB junkie. BUT they start at same times. Why not one site early and one late?

Did the host sites choose the start times? When i first saw the locations Lee Co and Southern Lee, my thought was see as many as possible as a BB junkie. BUT they start at same times. Why not one site early and one late?
Yes it is just like the NCHSAA to screw things up. The 4 teams in Charlotte 4a Boys and Girls are having to travel to McDowell High School to play their 2 games. SMH

This is disgusting. No issue if all the games are scheduled for a central point such as LR or Winston but to send four Charlotte schools to McDowell to play is absolutely ridiculous. I am sure Weddington and North Meck could have figured something out. I would think paying Davidson to host would work out better than that drive.

In 3A I would have let Central host WC and the girls teams find a middle point int the Hickory area. The girls game does not require a gym as large Freedon although that is fine as it is somewhat central to the two schools.

Independence Arena is being used this weekend but Davidson and UNCC are on the road. They may have agirls game scheduled but I think they could work through that as the crowd will not be huge. Catawba is in their tournament. Got to be a better way!

One issue when you try to go to a college or a public/private arena is they are not interested in taking on something with a few days notice. Security at high school events is becoming a big issue and very costly.

I was told by one college athletic department administrator that they did not want the high schools back due to the potential for vandalism and violence. Catawba had a shooting in the lobby at the long running Christmas tournament. 13 and 14 year olds wounded and two juveniles charged.

With that said I think a high school closer to Charlotte would have been appropriate due to the three teams being from that area in 4A and 3A. The NCHSAA could make it much easier on the ingress/egress if they would separate the games out by three hours instead of two or thirty minutes. If a game starts at 2pm and is completely finished up with presentations are 4pm leaving an hour until the next game much of the crowd will leave and it will make for a much easier seating situation.

Wingate basketball is not at home Saturday and that would be a great place for the 4A boys game but does Wingate want that game on a few days notice?

One issue when you try to go to a college or a public/private arena is they are not interested in taking on something with a few days notice. Security at high school events is becoming a big issue and very costly.

I was told by one college athletic department administrator that they did not want the high schools back due to the potential for vandalism and violence. Catawba had a shooting in the lobby at the long running Christmas tournament. 13 and 14 year olds wounded and two juveniles charged.

With that said I think a high school closer to Charlotte would have been appropriate due to the three teams being from that area in 4A and 3A. The NCHSAA could make it much easier on the ingress/egress if they would separate the games out by three hours instead of two or thirty minutes. If a game starts at 2pm and is completely finished up with presentations are 4pm leaving an hour until the next game much of the crowd will leave and it will make for a much easier seating situation.

Wingate basketball is not at home Saturday and that would be a great place for the 4A boys game but does Wingate want that game on a few days notice?
There aren’t any high school venues in Charlotte to host the crowds that are expected for these games. That’s just the reality of it. If bigger gyms are built then that becomes a possibility but turning people away is not good for anyone. If these were hosted in Charlotte at a small HS gym and the lines were super long to get in and people get turned away then people are complaining about that. The NCHSAA is reserving 250 tickets for each team so that’s 500 per game which would almost be half capacity at some the Charlotte High Schools before general public ticket sales even took place. Plus they are also reserving 50 tickets for media/pass holders.

There aren’t any high school venues in Charlotte to host the crowds that are expected for these games. That’s just the reality of it. If bigger gyms are built then that becomes a possibility but turning people away is not good for anyone. If these were hosted in Charlotte at a small HS gym and the lines were super long to get in and people get turned away then people are complaining about that. The NCHSAA is reserving 250 tickets for each team so that’s 500 per game which would almost be half capacity at some the Charlotte High Schools before general public ticket sales even took place. Plus they are also reserving 50 tickets for media/pass holders.
A couple of years ago fourth round games at Cox Mill and Lincoln Charter each had to turn away hundreds of fans on a Tuesday night. I think that was also true of the 4A game in Charlotte, which was maybe at W. Charlotte, but I don't really remember. The NCHSAA and the schools playing probably lost thousands of dollars because the gyms reached capacity and that was that.

The fact of the matter is that we don't really have a good centrally located school or city in the west that is willing to host the regionals. Greensboro is too far to the east, Hickory doesn't really have enough gyms that can handle huge crowds and places like Asheville and Charlotte either have something else going on at that time (SOCON tournament) or haven't shown any interest in hosting.

This has been a problem for a long time and no one seems to know what to do. Frankly I think using some combination of the gyms at McDowell, Freedom, E. Burke, Hickory and CVCC along with ACR and maybe a couple of other locations might be the best we can hope for. Seriously, most of those places are convenient to the interstate and within a three hour drive of anywhere in the west, that's pretty good for almost any school involved.

A couple of years ago fourth round games at Cox Mill and Lincoln Charter each had to turn away hundreds of fans on a Tuesday night. I think that was also true of the 4A game in Charlotte, which was maybe at W. Charlotte, but I don't really remember. The NCHSAA and the schools playing probably lost thousands of dollars because the gyms reached capacity and that was that.

The fact of the matter is that we don't really have a good centrally located school or city in the west that is willing to host the regionals. Greensboro is too far to the east, Hickory doesn't really have enough gyms that can handle huge crowds and places like Asheville and Charlotte either have something else going on at that time (SOCON tournament) or haven't shown any interest in hosting.

This has been a problem for a long time and no one seems to know what to do. Frankly I think using some combination of the gyms at McDowell, Freedom, E. Burke, Hickory and CVCC along with ACR and maybe a couple of other locations might be the best we can hope for. Seriously, most of those places are convenient to the interstate and within a three hour drive of anywhere in the west, that's pretty good for almost any school involved.
For the past few years i thought Kimmel Arena on the campus of UNC Asheville would be the perfect place for western regionals. 3,600 seating capacity, newer arena, ample parking. Could do a couple games on Friday evening then the rest on Saturday.

For the past few years i thought Kimmel Arena on the campus of UNC Asheville would be the perfect place for western regionals. 3,600 seating capacity, newer arena, ample parking. Could do a couple games on Friday evening then the rest on Saturday.
I think they play some of the SOCON women's tournament games there.

I am fairly well versed in the logistics of this. I have been to every state championship and a regional since 1991 until last year so I have experienced the craziness. Had conversations with Charlie Adams, Que, and Rick Strunk about it.

I am not a fan of the gym at LR but it is a decent venue and for Hickory it is a good sized event. The regionals at LR in 2020 were a complete fiasco. I watched from inside as people crushed toward the doors before the arena opened. ZERO security outside. I told Que that I expected major changes...when someone was seriously injured and they sued. That Saturday LR had the spring football game, a softball game, a wedding, and a reunion all going on. Too much. Throw in that Cox Mill and SWG were playing adds to the crowd along with the mountain teams having great followings.

Not sure if Hickory is a sponsor of the event this year or not. In the past having a "sponsor" was a big component of the site / area determinatuon

You are correct Charlotte Meck does not have a gym that could hold the crowd. I do think if you separate out the game times far enough that you can do this much more orderly. The people coming in for the second game while the first game is playing is part of the issue but for some reason the NCHSAA does not understand egress and ingress.

My main point about using a high school gym is to have just one game played there and you can probably find one that will work or separate the game out further. The two hour time schedule does not work especially if you get a few tight games.

I would rather them to play the games at eight different venues. Lets go back to 2008 or so when they put the games in the high schools in Forsyth County. Three Charlotte boys teams drove to a high school gym, North Forysth, that is not that large. Then two on Saturday. I think the issue that year is the sponsor had dropped out.
Splitting up the tickets between four schools when many of the fans will not be there for most of one of the games is an example this is not planned out as well as it could be.

First thing, the NCHSAA needs to look at using some colleges for one offs or two games. Once again, UNCC. Davidson, Wingate. and Catawba gyms are all free this Saturday.

Last edited:

I feell very confident the game at West Charlotte was not moved due to socio political reasons. That gym would be tight for a big junior high game. That was against Ardrey Kell and was not the regional.

Cox Mill drew huge the last two years of their run.

I remember games being played at Greensboro Coliseum and a local school driving by the complex on the way to play in the East Regional in Greenville.

Regarding the drive, I agree that three hours is not that terrible. What is terrible when all four teams are located with thirty minutes of each other and are making that three hour drive. That is an issue.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Btango good points but the real issue is you dont know what teams will get in ahead of time and which teams make great matchups. Basketball by its nature doesnt draw as much regular season vs. Playoffs. You mentioned the WC/AK game was moved. There were other mitigating factors in that game also concerning playing at WC. Even at Vance the game was a complete sell out and folks couldnt get in. This after folks waited in line for almost 2-3 hours for the WC/Olympic game the week prior. WC regular season games had plenty of space most games.

The other big WC/AK game was a regional final and was played at Wake Forest. It was the perfect atmosphere with ample parking and a closeness. Some of these games just are perfect matchups. WC/CC and weddington/NM would saleout Halton arena IMHO. You would need 3 hours minimum between games though

Lenoir-Rhyne atmosphere was great in 19 and it was a sellout. Again regular season basketball vs. Post season crowds are completely different

Last edited:
As a long-time follower of high school basketball in North Carolina I’m excited to hear that our hometown is hosting the 4A West Regional on Saturday.

I completely understand some of the concerns expressed about the regionals especially about crowd control issues.

One thing I will say about our gym is that first, it’s a very spacious facility. It seats about 3500 per the fire code. From what I’ve heard the online tickets allotted (both games) are capped at just under that number. I would be shocked if any additional tickets are made available to the public on game day. This should allow the representing schools ability to have their fans there.

Another nice setup about our gymnasium is we have two separate exit and enter points for normal game day operations, one on the balcony level and another on floor level. Those entrance and exit points also come in handy because access to the main parking area is adequately accessible from either point you are entering or exiting from.

I would assume both will be used for the regionals. Hopefully that will limit scenarios like the L-R incident in 2020.

Btango good points but the real issue is you dont know what teams will get in ahead of time and which teams make great matchups. Basketball by its nature doesnt draw as much regular season vs. Playoffs. You mentioned the WC/AK game was moved. There were other mitigating factors in that game also concerning playing at WC. Even at Vance the game was a complete sell out and folks couldnt get in. This after folks waited in line for almost 2-3 hours for the WC/Olympic game the week prior. WC regular season games had plenty of space most games.

The other big WC/AK game was a regional final and was played at Wake Forest. It was the perfect atmosphere with ample parking and a closeness. Some of these games just are perfect matchups. WC/CC and weddington/NM would saleout Halton arena IMHO. You would need 3 hours minimum between games though

Lenoir-Rhyne atmosphere was great in 19 and it was a sellout. Again regular season basketball vs. Post season crowds are completely different
It is not that difficult geographically. If you have LR, Catawba, UNCC, Davidson, Wingate, NC A&T (in tourney play), UNCA involved to soe degree early on in some discussions you may can make it work. It is not like football where the field conditions are an issue. The gym is used year around and ready for play most likely at any time.

At the end of the day the emphasis to get it done is not there. Texas can pull off their football playoff games on a weeks notice with centrailized locations.

I doubt we are seeing 9,000 at Haltom for a high school game unless we have two big time elite recruits going at it. I think the crowd this Saturday could be huge but it is just one game, WC v CC or Weddington v NM, it draws huge. When WC is hot they draw in the playoffs. The best atmpshere for a state title game was at 2012 Reynolds Coliseum when WC lost to New Hanover with 2015 East Carteret beating WS Prep in Carmichael. Note, the combination of the arenas and the fan bases were a big part of the atmosphere.

Imagine the 3A and 4A at Haltom. Friday 7pm one game. Saturday 1, 4, and 7pm. Nice awards ceremony and not rushing the teams off the court as the next game participants have to get out for their warmups. I think the gate would make up for the cost.

I would be fine with a single game ticket for $10 and a day pass for $15. Games at noon, 3:45, and 7:30. Clear the arena after each game. $15 ticket you can come back in. Indiana did that in their old days of the single class on championship Saturday.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I doubt we are seeing 9,000 at Haltom for a high school game unless we have two big time elite recruits going at it. I think the crowd this Saturday could be huge but it is just one game, WC v CC or Weddington v NM, it draws huge. When WC is hot they draw in the playoffs. The best atmpshere for a state title game was at 2012 Reynolds Coliseum when WC lost to New Hanover with 2015 East Carteret beating WS Prep in Carmichael. Note, the combination of the arenas and the fan bases were a big part of the atmosphere.

Imagine the 3A and 4A at Haltom. Friday 7pm one game. Saturday 1, 4, and 7pm. Nice awards ceremony and not rushing the teams off the court as the next game participants have to get out for their warmups. I think the gate would make up for the cost.

I would be fine with a single game ticket for $10 and a day pass for $15. Games at noon, 3:45, and 7:30. Clear the arena after each game. $15 ticket you can come back in. Indiana did that in their old days of the single class on championship Saturday.
Agree. My point is that you are not sure which teams are going to be in it to know if a super large venue is even needed or where the teams are coming from. Agree with Halton being a great spot. Liked LR too. If WC/CC were played at Halton this Saturday I think it easily draws 6k to 8k. As a combo game with Weddington/NM it sells out between the two. If it were Enka/Ben L. Smith at Halton I doubt it even gets 2k and folks would complain about the drive to Charlotte. If it were Enka vs. WC/CC at Freedom it seems like a perfect central location. Either way folks are gonna complain. That's why I like LR, NCAT, and CLT for the west. Best of both worlds.

You mentioned Texas football. Its easier to schedule because you have more large stadiums and the college schedules are made to accommodate TX high school playoffs. Have no real issue with Freedom, just personally it would benefit me to have it closer. LOL Really wanted to see NM/Weddington, and WC/CC as these are two very intriguing matchups. Imagine those games at Queens?

Agree. My point is that you are not sure which teams are going to be in it to know if a super large venue is even needed or where the teams are coming from. Agree with Halton being a great spot. Liked LR too. If WC/CC were played at Halton this Saturday I think it easily draws 6k to 8k. As a combo game with Weddington/NM it sells out between the two. If it were Enka/Ben L. Smith at Halton I doubt it even gets 2k and folks would complain about the drive to Charlotte. If it were Enka vs. WC/CC at Freedom it seems like a perfect central location. Either way folks are gonna complain. That's why I like LR, NCAT, and CLT for the west. Best of both worlds.

You mentioned Texas football. Its easier to schedule because you have more large stadiums and the college schedules are made to accommodate TX high school playoffs. Have no real issue with Freedom, just personally it would benefit me to have it closer. LOL Really wanted to see NM/Weddington, and WC/CC as these are two very intriguing matchups. Imagine those games at Queens?
Per my prior post you do NOT have know exactly what teams are in the Final 4. They need to work on the relationship dynamic to have the numerous gyms available to select from. The chances are Charlotte metro is going to have multiple teams in 3A and 4A.

Once again, I would be fine with them having the boys and girls play at a separate venue if it made sense geographically. Hypothetical example: Meck and Cabarrus boys team make the regional final and play in the Charlotte area. A school between Greensboro and Hickory plays a school west of Asheville in girls they go to ACR or a like school that is sufficient for the expected crowd and is geographically central.

There are plenty of small college and large high school gyms this can work. Need to get them on board. I am not as familiar with the east but have heard from a few that it is not being received well there either.

I think it would work well to book something around Charlotte, something around Hickory, something in the Triad, and something a little west of Hickory and assign each site the 2 games that are most central to them. But also, nobody will ever be happy.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Per my prior post you do NOT have know exactly what teams are in the Final 4. They need to work on the relationship dynamic to have the numerous gyms available to select from. The chances are Charlotte metro is going to have multiple teams in 3A and 4A.

Once again, I would be fine with them having the boys and girls play at a separate venue if it made sense geographically. Hypothetical example: Meck and Cabarrus boys team make the regional final and play in the Charlotte area. A school between Greensboro and Hickory plays a school west of Asheville in girls they go to ACR or a like school that is sufficient for the expected crowd and is geographically central.

There are plenty of small college and large high school gyms this can work. Need to get them on board. I am not as familiar with the east but have heard from a few that it is not being received well there either.
I see what you are saying. Should have worded it better but what if the matchup is not as great as this years matchups and you have reserved a larger facility like Halton and only get 2k? Where Queens or JCSU would be better fit. Not sure how many colleges would want to be on standby for NC HS basketball playoffs. But agree fully with your premise on having the locations readily available.

Think the games at McDowell and Freedom will be well attended and are great venues. Just a tough location/time for a fan. Would love to see them both. Also agree with Observe and report there will always be something to complain about.

The atmosphere of a packed high school playoff game is one of the best out. Not quite ready to say its better than football, but its very close. TBH The regional games have more flare than the state championships in most cases. The WC/CC winner and the WED/NM winner will be the state champs IMHO>

This argument has been going on for more than a few years. 2017 the 1A and 2A played at Winston Salem Annex and the 3A/4A at UNCG. The larger schools should have been at Wake Forest. UNCG is a great facility but holds 2,000. With four games with two hours scheduled per game it was a cluster as the games were tight. THis was the year Butler lost on a last second shot to SWG and Cox Mill won their first title. As one game would end many fans would remain for the first half or so of the next game and many waiting in line did not get in to see their team or it was after halftime. If you put the larger gap between games you would be much less likely to have people staying.

I am at the point to find the largest high school gym between the two teams playing or in the general area and just let them go there and play one game at the site or the high seed gets the game. They are playing 4A games in the east that are in a gym that I am told is not much larger than Providence HS.

A lot going on with college tournaments getting started. Duke v UNC. First game for the professional soccer team in Charlotte.

I thought we had a lottery for "education." I'm sure some of that education $$ could go to revamp some of these facilites to make them a future venue for certain things. As big as basketball is in and arond the Charlotte region, you would think someone with half a brain would be able to lock down a UNCC, Davidson, Wingate contract or better yet, BUILD a complex that could be geared toward future events. They could play AAU, volleyball, indoor soccer, etc all year but maybe host Christmas tournaments, special event tournaments (ESPN games), Regionals or even state championship games. I'm not sure why NCHSAA or NC Board of Education hasn't realized the need for something like this. They have the $$, utilize it. At some point and time they need to realize that sports, even at the high schoo level, is important and has a $$ impact at all levels. Instead, NCHSAA will continue to take $$, do nothing with it, make the experience for all terrible (driving to Marion for a Regional game between 4 Charlotte schools to play in a high school gym), and have no future plans. How in the world do you not have a primary plan 1 year, 6 months, 3 months ago for this type of situation? Why are they just now announcing regionals and haven't even announced states yet. Terrible, just terrible. If they play a state championship game at a high school again (like last year and the worst atmosphere and run event EVER) schools shold seperate themselves from NCHSAA PERIOD!

Simple solution: Use schools near Charlotte. If you can't lock that down, Use UNC-A or UNC-G. I'm looking for Harrah's (Cherokee) to build something to take advantage of the lack of and $$ they have. Plus, I know it would be a great atmoshere and awesome experience for the kids, teams and communities.

Dad23 The issue is usage. You get/build a big gym for one weekend? Carolina Courts and the Mooresville location already have youth ball locked every weekend. I'm happy we even have this issue because it means people are out and supporting local high school athletes and that highschool sports are alive and well.

I thought we had a lottery for "education." I'm sure some of that education $$ could go to revamp some of these facilites to make them a future venue for certain things. As big as basketball is in and arond the Charlotte region, you would think someone with half a brain would be able to lock down a UNCC, Davidson, Wingate contract or better yet, BUILD a complex that could be geared toward future events. They could play AAU, volleyball, indoor soccer, etc all year but maybe host Christmas tournaments, special event tournaments (ESPN games), Regionals or even state championship games. I'm not sure why NCHSAA or NC Board of Education hasn't realized the need for something like this. They have the $$, utilize it. At some point and time they need to realize that sports, even at the high schoo level, is important and has a $$ impact at all levels. Instead, NCHSAA will continue to take $$, do nothing with it, make the experience for all terrible (driving to Marion for a Regional game between 4 Charlotte schools to play in a high school gym), and have no future plans. How in the world do you not have a primary plan 1 year, 6 months, 3 months ago for this type of situation? Why are they just now announcing regionals and haven't even announced states yet. Terrible, just terrible. If they play a state championship game at a high school again (like last year and the worst atmosphere and run event EVER) schools shold seperate themselves from NCHSAA PERIOD!

Simple solution: Use schools near Charlotte. If you can't lock that down, Use UNC-A or UNC-G. I'm looking for Harrah's (Cherokee) to build something to take advantage of the lack of and $$ they have. Plus, I know it would be a great atmoshere and awesome experience for the kids, teams and communities.
What’s the problem with hosting it at McDowell which is closer for the Charlotte schools than the above mentioned UNCA and about equidistant to UNCG?

McDowell is generally a great site—huge gym, almost the middle of the west north/south and East/west. It’s only a problem when every school that makes it is from Charlotte.

McDowell is generally a great site—huge gym, almost the middle of the west north/south and East/west. It’s only a problem when every school that makes it is from Charlotte.
Go back over the last ten years and see what the number of schools were from Charlotte area in 4A. I wrote about it above when the regional site hosted the semifinal and final and it was played in a high school gym that is not that large.

What’s the problem with hosting it at McDowell which is closer for the Charlotte schools than the above mentioned UNCA and about equidistant to UNCG?
UNCG is too far to the east. UNCA is too far to the west.

Would like to see NC A&T, UNCG, and Elon in the mix for the state championship games. That is the center of the state. UNCC is right at the same distance to NC A&T as Reynolds Coliseum is. A&T is a bit under 5,000 while Elon is just over. UNCG is about a 2,200 seat arena which could handle some games if spread out enough. Greensboro Coliseum is too big and the annex is a terrible basketball facility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT