ADVERTISEMENT

RED RAIDERS or no RED RAIDERS

SPRaiders78

May 24, 2020
Belmont
Tonight at 6:30 we will be told the year long findings of the debate concerning the Name & Logo of the South Point Red Raiders. I personally am not going in with any grand expectations. In the woke society we now live in , we evidently must bow to the will of the weak, the trouble makers and the woosies.

If no one else post the results of tonight’s meeting, I will when I get home. Anyone nearby that is interested, the meeting will be held at the Belmont campus of Gaston College. .7220 Wilkerson Blvd. at 6:30.

Tonight at 6:30 we will be told the year long findings of the debate concerning the Name & Logo of the South Point Red Raiders. I personally am not going in with any grand expectations. In the woke society we now live in , we evidently must bow to the will of the weak, the trouble makers and the woosies.

If no one else post the results of tonight’s meeting, I will when I get home. Anyone nearby that is interested, the meeting will be held at the Belmont campus of Gaston College. .7220 Wilkerson Blvd. at 6:30.
Keep us posted. I find it interesting that for the most part the East Gaston "Warriors" have not been part of this discussion. Personally, I dont think the school board will retire either mascot.

East Gaston will probably be safe until they take out South Point. They want to keep this crap front and center as long as possible.

So looking at your mascot is a picture of an Native man with a feather in his hair/head. Your name is the Red Raiders. What's the origination of the name? Give us some background. Give us something to work with.

You say the "woke" society but you're failing to articulate your defense of the mascot. Explain to the board why it isn't racist or whatever.

With a team like the Washington Redskins it was indefensible. Redskin has been a slur for Natives for a very long time. The name had to go. Florida State generally doesn't have these issues because of the respect they show to the Florida Seminole tribe.

As an outsider looking in, Red Raider in conjunction with your mascot means a raiding Indian. It would be like having a mascot with a Black man with an Afro Pick in his hair being named the Black Raiders. When you apply other ethnicities to a lot of the names a lot of you love so much, the shit starts to look asinine.

I don't particulary have a huge stake into this. I personally didn't even know South Point existed until a few years ago. But instead of calling people names like woke or liberal or whatever, properly explain your thoughts on your mascot and explain why you don't believe it's racist. Build an argument. Don't just bs around.

It’s stupid. I’m Native American. Lumbee in fact. It disgusted me to see someone from the Lumbee tribe at the Board meeting. Who paid her to be there? Prior to this debate, there may have only been a dozen Lumbee who even knew south point high school existed. Did someone from Belmont pay her, or is she acting on moneys received from some nation group? The Lumbee council made a proclamation denouncing mascot names while at the same time embracing UNCP that has Braves as a mascot. Again, who paid her to be there? No way she made that drive out of her own concern.

Your mascot doesn’t hurt my ‘feelings’. Red raiders, braves, warriors, Indians, redskins are ok by me. As are ‘white’ mascots. No one is attacking those. Look on your grocery aisle. The only products with people pictured are white. Paraphrasing what Malcolm X said, the white liberal is the greatest enemy.

It’s stupid. I’m Native American. Lumbee in fact. It disgusted me to see someone from the Lumbee tribe at the Board meeting. Who paid her to be there? Prior to this debate, there may have only been a dozen Lumbee who even knew south point high school existed. Did someone from Belmont pay her, or is she acting on moneys received from some nation group? The Lumbee council made a proclamation denouncing mascot names while at the same time embracing UNCP that has Braves as a mascot. Again, who paid her to be there? No way she made that drive out of her own concern.

Your mascot doesn’t hurt my ‘feelings’. Red raiders, braves, warriors, Indians, redskins are ok by me. As are ‘white’ mascots. No one is attacking those. Look on your grocery aisle. The only products with people pictured are white. Paraphrasing what Malcolm X said, the white liberal is the greatest enemy.
You're one person. I know a few Lumbees as well who take offense to some of those names. It works both ways here. The thing is, if they can properly show that the name is offensive and enough people support the removal of the mascot, then democracy wins here.

So looking at your mascot is a picture of an Native man with a feather in his hair/head. Your name is the Red Raiders. What's the origination of the name? Give us some background. Give us something to work with.

You say the "woke" society but you're failing to articulate your defense of the mascot. Explain to the board why it isn't racist or whatever.

With a team like the Washington Redskins it was indefensible. Redskin has been a slur for Natives for a very long time. The name had to go. Florida State generally doesn't have these issues because of the respect they show to the Florida Seminole tribe.

As an outsider looking in, Red Raider in conjunction with your mascot means a raiding Indian. It would be like having a mascot with a Black man with an Afro Pick in his hair being named the Black Raiders. When you apply other ethnicities to a lot of the names a lot of you love so much, the shit starts to look asinine.

I don't particulary have a huge stake into this. I personally didn't even know South Point existed until a few years ago. But instead of calling people names like woke or liberal or whatever, properly explain your thoughts on your mascot and explain why you don't believe it's racist. Build an argument. Don't just bs around.
Pirates are known for their exemplary behavior. Most are depicted as white. Why no movement to ban them?

Vikings are known as great white warriors. But native warriors are the offensive one. Patriots are always depicted as white fighters. Seems it is ok to be white and fight. But Indian fighters are offensive.

You're one person. I know a few Lumbees as well who take offense to some of those names. It works both ways here. The thing is, if they can properly show that the name is offensive and enough people support the removal of the mascot, then democracy wins here.
Tell me one example of how changing the mascot name of a high school in Belmont will have a positive effect on one lumbee life in Robeson county? The council has far greater issues to deal with than a mascot 3 hours away.

Pirates are known for their exemplary behavior. Most are depicted as white. Why no movement to ban them?

Vikings are known as great white warriors. But native warriors are the offensive one. Patriots are always depicted as white fighters. Seems it is ok to be white and fight. But Indian fighters are offensive.
Same reason why a black person calling a white person Cracker is seen as a joke and a white person calling a black person the N word is a big deal. History and meaning.

Popular culture dictates what's okay whether you, I or whoever likes it. 10 years ago it was okay to call gay people the f word. Now it's a firable offense. You used to be able to call the mentally ill/challenge names like retard. Now that's not acceptable. There are many difference theories to why language changes the way it does and why things become acceptable and not acceptable. I don't have the perfect answer for you.

Tell me one example of how changing the mascot name of a high school in Belmont will have a positive effect on one lumbee life in Robeson county? The council has far greater issues to deal with than a mascot 3 hours away.
That wasn't my argument. That wasn't my argument at all. All I said with that post was I know Lumbees who have the opposite feelings that you have and if they want their opinions heard than they have that right. It's a free country.

Thanks Reidsville Ram, but your wasting your time. I learn tonight most of those folks opposing sports logos can’t say anything other than racist. They also enjoy being seen and interrupting.

The Belmont City Council and The Gaston County Board of Commissioners were represented tonight.
At the meeting we were given many interesting facts. I’m sorry I can’t remember the name of the organization that was represented tonight. The founder and current president were there. The founder a member of the Sioux Tribe from N. Dakota and the current president from Illinois a member of the Cherokee tribe.

To the Native American, the color red represents power and victory.
Did you know that the Washington Football Team’s former Logo (the picture of the head of a Native American) was designed by a Blackfoot Indian. Did you know he asked the team if they would consider art for their helmets that better represented Native Americans than just the letter “R”. He was given the go ahead to produce something and they would consider it.

Did you know that 90% of all Native Americans surveyed stated they were not offended by sports teams with Native American names.
They ARE offended by native mascots. A mascot is someone dressing to represent someone they are not.
South Point High School doesn’t have a mascot. They do have a Native American logo.

South Point High School was presented a certificate by the Native American organization for its representation of the Eastern Woodlands Indian. For their portrayal of the pride and strength of Native Americans.

Lastly, for hundreds of years the Catawba and Cherokee Indians fought for control of the North Carolina piedmont. The peace treaty that finally stopped hostilities between the two was signed at the convergence of what is now known as the Catawba and the South Fork Rivers (South Point). Therefore the Red Raider is more of a depiction of honor and respect than disrespect.

Once a South Point Red Raider always a South Point Red Raider! GO BIG RED!!!

If you look up the definition of the word RAIDERS it will read; A person who attacks an enemy in the enemy territory, a maraduder. A person who attacks business premises in order to steal.

Now that isn't quite a positive label by itself. Now add the fact you using a Red Faced Native American to that negative definition. You might think it is harmless, but this isn't your race being stamped on the logo. It is easy to say this nothing to do about nothing when it isn't you being the mascot. Don't you think the Native Americans may be a little hurt their land was taken away and many of them was killed and raped like women and kids. Fake treaties and broken promises........????? We tell other races to get over it! But do we forget 9-11, Pearl Harbor or the Holocaust? Nooooooo !!!!! But we want them to forget THE TRAIL OF TEARS OR WOUNDED KNEE!!!!

Just pain and simple, change the Mascot to something using your race. Problem solved! Nobody saying it was malice in using the name, but the hurt it still the same for a group/race/tribe of people that had everything taken away from them.

See above post. South Point does not have a mascot. If you want to help Native Americans find something worthwhile to oppose. Things like poverty, drug abuse, alcoholism. These things really matter to Native Americans not sports teams logos.

Thanks Reidsville Ram, but your wasting your time. I learn tonight most of those folks opposing sports logos can’t say anything other than racist. They also enjoy being seen and interrupting.

The Belmont City Council and The Gaston County Board of Commissioners were represented tonight.
At the meeting we were given many interesting facts. I’m sorry I can’t remember the name of the organization that was represented tonight. The founder and current president were there. The founder a member of the Sioux Tribe from N. Dakota and the current president from Illinois a member of the Cherokee tribe.

To the Native American, the color red represents power and victory.
Did you know that the Washington Football Team’s former Logo (the picture of the head of a Native American) was designed by a Blackfoot Indian. Did you know he asked the team if they would consider art for their helmets that better represented Native Americans than just the letter “R”. He was given the go ahead to produce something and they would consider it.

Did you know that 90% of all Native Americans surveyed stated they were not offended by sports teams with Native American names.
They ARE offended by native mascots. A mascot is someone dressing to represent someone they are not.
South Point High School doesn’t have a mascot. They do have a Native American logo.

South Point High School was presented a certificate by the Native American organization for its representation of the Eastern Woodlands Indian. For their portrayal of the pride and strength of Native Americans.

Lastly, for hundreds of years the Catawba and Cherokee Indians fought for control of the North Carolina piedmont. The peace treaty that finally stopped hostilities between the two was signed at the convergence of what is now known as the Catawba and the South Fork Rivers (South Point). Therefore the Red Raider is more of a depiction of honor and respect than disrespect.

Once a South Point Red Raider always a South Point Red Raider! GO BIG RED!!!
You throwing percentages out there without sources. I don't do undocumented stats. You're also throwing out a bunch of history without sources. I literally have to take your word as bond. I don't know you so unfortunately I can't do that. Also mascot and logo has been used interchangeably. I thought it was obvious that I wasn't talking about a guy in a costume running around.

Come back with some sources for me to read and I'll take the post more seriously.

But one thing I will say before I leave for tonight. What was once right or accepted in the past isn't always accepted in the future.

Try googling
The Native American Guardian’s Association. Look under the leadership bar, the first two listed Eunice and David were NAGA’s representatives at the meeting.
They can tell the story much better than I can. It’s very difficult to listen to a live presentation without taking notes an report on it . I did the best I could. And yes it was my fault I didn’t bring a pencil.

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91 and PBBear51
Just whitewash the logo. That’s what they really want. Keep the name and put the Las Vegas raiders logo on the helmet. Or perhaps change the logo to a white guy in a suit. If asked to explain the logo, tell them we are now corporate raiders. Gordon Gecko may be available for the first game with the new logo.

If you look up the definition of the word RAIDERS it will read; A person who attacks an enemy in the enemy territory, a maraduder. A person who attacks business premises in order to steal.

Now that isn't quite a positive label by itself. Now add the fact you using a Red Faced Native American to that negative definition. You might think it is harmless, but this isn't your race being stamped on the logo. It is easy to say this nothing to do about nothing when it isn't you being the mascot. Don't you think the Native Americans may be a little hurt their land was taken away and many of them was killed and raped like women and kids. Fake treaties and broken promises........????? We tell other races to get over it! But do we forget 9-11, Pearl Harbor or the Holocaust? Nooooooo !!!!! But we want them to forget THE TRAIL OF TEARS OR WOUNDED KNEE!!!!

Just pain and simple, change the Mascot to something using your race. Problem solved! Nobody saying it was malice in using the name, but the hurt it still the same for a group/race/tribe of people that had everything taken away from them.
This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The great white conspiracy to have native americans forget the trail of tears.
Tell you what....I'm starting a great bering strait land bridge opposition group. Those early nomadic migrators that crossed over 25,000-30,000 years ago that later became eskimos, Mayans, Olmec, Incan and "Native American" chasing animals to kill where slaughterers. Now I'm on the animals side. You can't hurt or talk bad about the animals you know. So, we need to ban all animal mascots too....because these b@stard Bering Straight marauders butchered them and ate them. Oh....that was 30,000 years ago? No matter....I'm offended today.

You throwing percentages out there without sources. I don't do undocumented stats. You're also throwing out a bunch of history without sources. I literally have to take your word as bond. I don't know you so unfortunately I can't do that. Also mascot and logo has been used interchangeably. I thought it was obvious that I wasn't talking about a guy in a costume running around.

Come back with some sources for me to read and I'll take the post more seriously.

But one thing I will say before I leave for tonight. What was once right or accepted in the past isn't always accepted in the future.
We know our history. Mascots and logos aren't used interchangeably. We don't have a bobble-head caricature running around holding a knife. We have a proud, solemn Native American head.
Sources from whom? What makes these sources correct?
Many that live in the SP area know the history. They didn't just move here 10 years ago.............yes - that was a shot. It's hard not to recognize that 95% of the "offended" have moved to NC/south in the last 10-15 years. GO BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Just whitewash the logo. That’s what they really want. Keep the name and put the Las Vegas raiders logo on the helmet. Or perhaps change the logo to a white guy in a suit. If asked to explain the logo, tell them we are now corporate raiders. Gordon Gecko may be available for the first game with the new logo.
If they change their logo to either the Vegas Raiders logo or a white guy in a suit. I will be a Corporate (Red) Raiders fan.

You can't hurt or talk bad about the animals you know. So, we need to ban all animal mascots too
Yes or you'll piss the P.E.T.A off then. We just need to let everyone that's very sensitive decide what we should be or what we shouldn't be, that's the most practical solution. You know, just be a citizen and do what the powers in charge tell you to do.

Here is your background....

Why are we Red Raiders? (courtesy Gaston Gazette and Richard Walker)

Belmont and Stanley were originally named after birds common to the area - Belmont was the Cardinals and Stanley the Bluebirds - but the perception that birds weren’t “tough enough” for football led to switches at both schools in the 1940s.

Belmont changed first when Gerald Cortner became coach in 1946. Assistant coach Ebb Gantt had just returned from World War II, where he’d come in contact with some alumni of Colgate College. Colgate’s nickname “Raiders” intrigued Gantt, who then convinced Cortner to adopt the name with a small twist - “Red Raiders.” The name has since been adopted by several Belmont-area teams, including South Point High in 1969 when that school was borne of the consolidation of Belmont and Cramerton high schools.

Here is your background....

Why are we Red Raiders? (courtesy Gaston Gazette and Richard Walker)

Belmont and Stanley were originally named after birds common to the area - Belmont was the Cardinals and Stanley the Bluebirds - but the perception that birds weren’t “tough enough” for football led to switches at both schools in the 1940s.

Belmont changed first when Gerald Cortner became coach in 1946. Assistant coach Ebb Gantt had just returned from World War II, where he’d come in contact with some alumni of Colgate College. Colgate’s nickname “Raiders” intrigued Gantt, who then convinced Cortner to adopt the name with a small twist - “Red Raiders.” The name has since been adopted by several Belmont-area teams, including South Point High in 1969 when that school was borne of the consolidation of Belmont and Cramerton high schools.
I’ll say it again. Tough. Tough white mascots good. Tough indians….offensive.

im offended by things that matter. My white wife asked me was I offended by the redskins. I told her I couldn’t care less what they call the team in Washington. But I am offended that Mike Tomlin still has a job.

Don't call me a moron or I'll call Dudley football or better yet draw a 50 yard line in front of your house 🤣 be ready for an eg beat down next year

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
The word OKLAHOMA means RED PEOPLE…why is nobody saying anything about that…let’s not forget the Indians we’re not living in peace and Harmony here,they were killing each other too,and raping other tribes women,so let’s not act like everything was was peaceful and tranquil,and those ole mean white people just showed up and killing was a new thing…name me 1 county in the world that don’t have a dark past,that innocent blood wasn’t spilled,and if you do I’ll call you a lier

Further proof you don’t have a clue. EG is losing the troops and the next few years are going to be rough. I’m much closer to your team than you are imbecile.
Yep and you have no clue about the cms transfer running back because your school is trash and you have no idea what you are talking about

• Haha
Yep and you have no clue about the cms transfer running back because your school is trash and you have no idea what you are talking about
I know exactly what I’m talking about. Massey, gone. Lucas, gone. Cogdill, gone. Dunlap, gone. Hill, gone.

You stay on your knees so you better plop down again and pray that RB brings some 280lbs OLinemen with him.

• Haha
I know exactly what I’m talking about. Massey, gone. Lucas, gone. Cogdill, gone. Dunlap, gone. Hill, gone.

You stay on your knees so you better plop down again and pray that RB brings some 280lbs OLinemen with him.
That's so I can see eye to eye with your mom. Be ready to get ftf over

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT