ADVERTISEMENT

RAIN

Moving forward will take more than a week, and there’s no plan set by the NCHSAA. Commissioner Que Tucker said the decision on how to proceed will be made by the NCHSAA Board of Directors, which includes Enka athletic director Brian Carver and Jackson County Schools Superintendent Dana Ayers.

“I don’t know if we can play football,” Pruett said. “But I can promise you it’s going to take time. It’s going to take time to figure it out, and a lot of work.”

• Sad
Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I live near ground zero in NC and there are tons of national guardsman, Chinook and other military helicopters, and other federal workers here and they have been here for days. The conspiracies can stop. Storms don't give a darn if you are red or blue or purple. Plenty of both are dead from this.

Looks like the WHC is history for football this year with the devastation to Mitchell, Mtn. Heritage and Avery and Madison.
And Owen. This storm definitely hit the WHC hard. I’m not sure how it shakes out for WNC period besides SMC because Haywood County schools are out all next week and Buncombe is closed indefinitely so that will be at least two straight weeks that are missed when others have played around the state and Pisgah obviously can’t host anything for the year.

Looks like the WHC is history for football this year with the devastation to Mitchell, Mtn. Heritage and Avery and Madison.
I don’t see any way of proceeding with the season in the WHC. A lot of homes are still cut off from civilization and it could be several weeks before power is restored. I was told 6 to 9 weeks for my address. The devastation up here is unbelievable.

I don’t see any way of proceeding with the season in the WHC. A lot of homes are still cut off from civilization and it could be several weeks before power is restored. I was told 6 to 9 weeks for my address. The devastation up here is unbelievable.
Yeah still no power at my house in Avery Co. I drove to Spear yesterday to deliver some hot meals at the Spear Store from my church in Roan Mtn. Man 19E that fallows the Toe River I was like wow!!!!! I was basically a rough one lane road. I can’t imagine what the roads in the hollars look like.

I know this is in Avery Co because I drove by some of this stuff yesterday when I took food

Last edited:
I really think the season will not be over. Playing football would help the community, take people minds off this terrible storm .

• Haha
Reactions: Downeastsmashmouth
I really think the season will not be over. Playing football would help the community, take people minds off this terrible storm .

Unfortunately football is and has to be the last thing on people's minds. This is the worst disaster this state has ever faced. While it can help communities if they can play, I just can't see it happening.

Unfortunately football is and has to be the last thing on people's minds. This is the worst disaster this state has ever faced. While it can help communities if they can play, I just can't see it happening.
I agree with everything you have said. The only one worse for North Carolina may have been Hazel in 1957. I wasn’t born for six more years but my daddy used to talk about it. Very few were prepared for it. The parallels are similar to what occurred with Helene.

I agree with everything you have said. The only one worse for North Carolina may have been Hazel in 1957. I wasn’t born for six more years but my daddy used to talk about it. Very few were prepared for it. The parallels are similar to what occurred with Helene.

And that was 57 when we didn't have the prep and technology we do now.

Reactions: thekidd12
Heartfelt thoughts and many prayers to our western North Carolina neighbors. The footage from there is heartbreaking.
P.S. Hurricane Hazel occurred in 1954.
I TOLD YALL I WASN’T BORN!!!
Sometime in the 50s!!

Can’t believe I posted something without Googling first…
At least the person who called me on it is a digital friend 🙄
And a fellow senior citizen 😜

Yeah it looks like this is going to be the team that could of been for Heritage, this might have been the most athletic team they’ve ever had sucks for the kids but you can’t plan for a natural disaster, hopefully Mitchell will be really good in a year or two cause I don’t think Heritage will have a team this good for good while.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Update:
Here is the status of area school systems (as we understand). This information has been gathered from publicly available official resources. Current as of 11:00am Sunday, 10/6.
*** Delayed hours not included ***
***Regular Schedule***
Catawba County
Hickory City
Newton-Conover
Alexander County
Lincoln County
***Undetermined***
Caldwell County - Announcement expected at 2pm today on status.
***Closed Monday & Tuesday***
Burke County - No word yet beyond Tuesday.
***Closed Monday & Tuesday - Reopen Wednesday***
McDowell County (2 hr delay) - Rest of week
Rutherford County - Athletics can resume Wednesday
NCSD
***Closed thru 10/11***
Watauga County
Ashe County
Yancey County
Henderson County
Transylvania - Athletics can resume Thursday
***Closed Until Further Notice***
Avery County