ADVERTISEMENT

RAIN

Half game fee if they didn’t take the field. Officials still had to be onsite 1 1/2 hours prior to kickoff. And probably drive at least an hour to game site. That’s all part of reasons games are moved that most, people don’t even consider, just complain because back in the day they played.

What are official fees now? But you are correct. Everyone has a simple mindset and can't get past what they did 40 years ago.

What are official fees now? But you are correct. Everyone has a simple mindset and can't get past what they did 40 years ago.
What are gas/wear on vehicle costs now?
Not trying to turn this thread into something else but also what is the price of a person’s dignity or pride? Both of which are often assaulted at various sporting events.
Now back to the weather forecast and I sincerely apologize to the poster I quoted if I misunderstood his point.

Not trying to turn this thread into something else but also what is the price of a person’s dignity or pride? Both of which are often assaulted at various sporting events.
Now back to the weather forecast and I sincerely apologize to the poster I quoted if I misunderstood his point.

My point was in support of Sportsnut. Officials absolutely deserve to be paid if they show up esp as Sportsnut said when they drive so far. I think my original point was misconstrued about schools having to pay. It sucks for the schools but as Sportsnut said that's why we move games now. I remember when schools just settled on playing Monday. I think Saturday or Monday was the wiser choice here.

I think it's nuts that Starmount and Mount Airy are still planning on playing Friday.

Is this what you were asking for? I knew back in 2008 it was around 50 cents per mile. That is supposed to cover gas and wear and tear on your vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
My point was in support of Sportsnut. Officials absolutely deserve to be paid if they show up esp as Sportsnut said when they drive so far. I think my original point was misconstrued about schools having to pay. It sucks for the schools but as Sportsnut said that's why we move games now. I remember when schools just settled on playing Monday. I think Saturday or Monday was the wiser choice here.

I think it's nuts that Starmount and Mount Airy are still planning on playing Friday.
They probably don't want to move it to Thursday. So they're probably waiting to see how weather is Friday and will bump to Saturday if they have to.

Reactions: thekidd12

I think Starmount is hoping for some weather help there

I think Starmount is hoping for some weather help there
I doubt that. They throw the ball. They definitely don't want to play in the rain. That's really the only chance they have. They can't run it. Not in that defense. If so number 4 will be in at QB real fast.

Is this what you were asking for? I knew back in 2008 it was around 50 cents per mile. That is supposed to cover gas and wear and tear on your vehicle.
Thank you sir for your efforts. I was really just asking a rhetorical question. While cost can be compensated some with the formula used for such, I still believe pay falls short. However I misunderstood @Thunder_struck8712 and at least tried to convey that towards the end of my post.
Context clues!!’
I need to be not such a knee jerk poster…

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
I hope you get gas mileage on top of that. especially for a 50-plus mile trip. mileage should be mandatory. I posted state guidelines but if not being paid by a state agency I have seen them lower. Also, those posted are to be filed to the IRS for tax prep.
No mileage, we are considered private contractors. Straight $104. Home school responsible for paying officials. I have been from West of Asheville to Lumberton, Rocky Mount, gosh knows how many times to Charlotte area. I bet through multiple sports I have been to Mt Airy 50 plus times, remember I live west of Winston. Not 1 cent of mileage. Until last season it was $94 per game and 5 years ago it was $80 per game

OBTW, I wouldn’t change a minute of the enjoyment I have gotten from it. Well maybe one or two, but not many.

Last edited:
If any local folks want pre-sale tickets for Mount Airy-Starmount game, I will be selling them until 3:30 today at the SHS gate house. They are $7.

You can beat the long line at the ticket booth.

Heard this morning from staff that Thomasville and North Rowan were considering Monday, but that wasn’t definite at the time.

I just saw where areas of the Smokey Mountains have already received 8 to 10 inches of rain and the hurricane want even come ashore until tonight—prayers for those mountains and everyone in its path. The worst is yet to come.
helen-cone-5a-092624.jpg

As I said in my last post, the worst is yet to come. I just hope it doesn't reach us but there can be a lot of water coming down the mountains into the foothills like the Thursday night, Sept. 20, 1979, that washed away Lowes Hardware when it was on HWY 52 and 40 million dollars in damage to other buildings in Mount Airy and the county.

Flash Flood, All area football games canceled. We were looking forward to the North Surry vs Mount Airy Football game but had to wait till Monday and still played on a Mount Airy rained mud-soaked field. Riverside Park looked like a lake as the water was 5 to 6 feet high in the park as it was in many other areas all over town. town. My Girlfriend at the time was 5'3" and standing at the front of a Laundry Mate with several other business the muddy water level was over the top of her head on the side of the large glass windows
Best I can remember it Was around 40 million dollars in damages with President Jimmy Carter getting involved in disaster relief.A lot of damage to the Mount Airy football field and Field house. Maybe Bareman remembers more about the damages at the high school than I do. Best I remember water level got up into the bleachers and maybe the school ; lower level of the school. Several rivers and creeks run through Mount Airy, Lovills Creek & Ararat River gave most of the damage in town both became lakes in places
The news continues on several pages of each newspaper. Who remembers more about the damage to Mount Airy High School & Football field and field house, only one at that time which is the visitor field house now

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT