ADVERTISEMENT

RAIN

Our church took 5 loads of water and non perishable foods up there today. Mainly towards the Burnsville area.
I go to church in Roan MTN. They had Military Helicopters landing on Cloudland Football field then bringing it to our church. Think the church feed about 500 people yesterday. Been told 50+ dead in Avery Co. and people still missing. Was told they had to bring in a mobile morgue

They tried to shut down the border on the state line last night on the NC side but the sheriff from Avery came down said they can’t do it. A TN trooper turned me around and I had to take a back road home. People from Avery are having to go into TN to get stuff especially gas

Lot of unknowns about what will happen with HS football up in the areas that where effected. People are still in state of shock probably. Just trying to figure how to deal with the situation and move on with their lives.
Most don’t understand how bad it really is around Asheville and the northern counties like Avery, Mitchell, Madison, and Yancey. These places may not be able to even finish the season. The devastation is overwhelming and may take years to fully recover and rebuild.

I have seen so much of the damage and flooding on the TV news channels. It is so unbelievable it got to the mountains that bad. I have said it before and I will say it again, I am Praying for everyone in those areas that got flooded and praying for a fast recovery. 🙏 🙏 🙏

Donate to NC Disaster Relief Fund to Help with Helene Recovery​

https://governor.nc.gov/press-release-terms/disaster-recovery

Last edited:
While helping at church today my wife talked to someone the works at Avery Hospital she said over 200 if the info is accurate. Heard it was really bad in Mitchell Co. We sent up lots of supplies to Elk Park from our church. Had a crew of boys from Virginia show up to chainsaw they went to Avery Co start clearing. Heard that Avery, Mitchell and Yancy county isn’t getting much help. Where is our Governor at. We had 2 National Guard Helicopters today in TN. Had 2 guys from Chattanooga bring a bunch of stuff. There a guy with smoker cooking today that tried to get to Burnsville to cook but was allowed to because the Governor doesn’t want people coming over from state line.

The Governor was in Asheville yesterday. It fits the political narrative to paint a governor or President as derelict if they’re not on the ground with a chainsaw. The best thing elected officials can do is to delegate responsibility to the experts in their field, help get the funding and get out of the way.
The suggestions on restrictions to travel are about limiting it to essential travel. 450 roads closed. This is a very complex problem as you know. Just like after 9/11, we should be rallying around those in need, regardless of political affiliation.

The Governor was in Asheville yesterday. It fits the political narrative to paint a governor or President as derelict if they’re not on the ground with a chainsaw. The best thing elected officials can do is to delegate responsibility to the experts in their field, help get the funding and get out of the way.
The suggestions on restrictions to travel are about limiting it to essential travel. 450 roads closed. This is a very complex problem as you know. Just like after 9/11, we should be rallying around those in need, regardless of political affiliation.
Yeah that’s a bunch of BS on the travel restrictions. When people from across state lines are wanting to help. Of course Asheville is going to get all the help it needs.

My 2nd cousin and her husband live in Bakersville and none of our extended family have heard from them since Helene came through.
Cell service is gone. Starlink works if someone has it that way you can get on WiFi and make a call out. A couple in Roan Mtn was letting people use it for free. Verizon setup a mobile thing at the Roan Mtn fire department. Hopefully some of these places start getting stuff. Greg Biffle got a bunch of Starlink and was trying to WNC areas.

How stupid is our government? They apparently have delivered on emergency cell service to anyone no matter who your carrier is. The problem? You have to turn your phone off in order to get it. So how do the people that have been trapped for days with no power still have power for their phones AND know that this is accessible if you turn your phone off and then back on.

The lack of response from certain elected officials in our state and country sure has been telling…

There is still much information we do not know yet. Many areas that are still cut off. This is a land area the size of the state of Massachusetts in tough terrain. I trust that the ones in charge are doing their best in a fluid situation. Finger pointing isn't helping a dad gum thing.

I echo your sentiment. Hundreds have died and many more or in critical shape. This isn’t time to play the elephants vs. donkeys game but instead unite as North Carolinians and Tennesseans to help those in need. Driving a certain narrative and causing others to lose hope is counterproductive.

There is still much information we do not know yet. Many areas that are still cut off. This is a land area the size of the state of Massachusetts in tough terrain. I trust that the ones in charge are doing their best in a fluid situation. Finger pointing isn't helping a dad gum thing.
This person in charge needed his butt beat.

I echo your sentiment. Hundreds have died and many more or in critical shape. This isn’t time to play the elephants vs. donkeys game but instead unite as North Carolinians and Tennesseans to help those in need. Driving a certain narrative and causing others to lose hope is counterproductive.
How you going to lose hope when you don’t know if anybody is coming. Thanks to good ole boys with chainsaws coming to help is why stuff is getting done

From one source I saw someone said they talked with someone up in the mountains and stated that the games could be canceled rest of the season. That the schools and stadium got hit hard. I can imagine

How you going to lose hope when you don’t know if anybody is coming. Thanks to good ole boys with chainsaws coming to help is why stuff is getting done

when you are safe and you have kin and friends trapped, you can lose hope real fast when you hear people drag politics into the recovery. Like ocdavis31 stated, it take’s a village. We all want our people to survive.

Appvol's post has nothing to do with the federal government.

Meanwhile where do you get your information from.
There were posts before that I was referring to that said the government was not letting help come in and what I have seen on TV. It has been a mess that has not gotten help. They say FEMA does not have the funds to help. But Ukraine gets billions of $$$$$$$$$$ over and over. Sometimes the money needs to stay at home and help people who have lived here for many years, but it also goes to people crossing the border. This Crap pisses me off with our neighbors still without power. My son has not had power since Friday ! ! !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT