ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for 72 champ...

Greengold_4ever

Jan 14, 2017
1st off I really do admire your passion for your team. My questions are in regards to the Shelby programs participation. Question 1; How many guys typically play significant time on both sides of the ball for you guys? Question 2; Have you guys seen freshman and sophomores roles increase for your varsity team recently? I guess another or better way to ask that is ...how hard is it for freshmen and sophomores to start for varsity....
Thanks

Answer 1. Zero

Answer 2 . For a freshman to start at Shelby, they have to be an exceptional talent. We get one about every other year.
Sophomores starting is not as rare. It can be talent, but it can also be need based. Maintaining two platoons in a championship caliber program as a 2A sized school creates good opportunities for sophomores.
Can't say if either class participating has increased. Others may know more.
We are incredibly fortunate to get over 100 players out for pre-season camp each year. We also have strong summer 7 on 7 commitments.
Winning draws them And again we have been so blessed.
Each team is different. We generally are senior and junior lead, but can be young and inexperienced, depending on the year.

Reactions: whitemilesdavis
Truly amazing in this day and age, speaks highly of the program. Seeing more and more programs, in all classes, having to depend on contributions from sophomores. This was unheard of or rarely seen 10 years ago. They had to be special to play on Friday nights.

Agreed.
In the 60s to 90s, Shelby as mostly 3A, might have only 3 sophomores make the varsity. And they rarely started.
Then 3 or 4 guys went both ways.
Times have changed.
We still enjoy seeing an opponent with that exceptional player doing his thing on both sides of the ball.
We usually seek him out after the game on the field to acknowledge him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT