ADVERTISEMENT

QB’s in the I-Meck

I have had this argument on various boards over the years. There is no secret fence that wraps around the University Area of Charlotte and keeps all the good football players inside nor is there some kind of special breeding science that continues to feed MC or Vance athletes. The same held true for the Albemarle corridor in the late 90's and 2000's for Indy and Butler . Did Richmond have some special formula to breed talent in the 80's and 90's...............doubtful.

You have to have a talent base to be sure but the dominant programs do two things better than anyone else.

- Get the best athletes in the school on the gridiron
- Develop that talent from the moment they hit 9th grade.

Its 24/7/365 for these coaching staffs with these kids. The true advantage they have is the disparity in coaching talent. That is where the divide gets created. Not by some secret talent pool that they pull kids from.

Reactions: shutdownD24
If that’s the true advantage then why post all that nonsense about population!..It’s about kids buying into a program, maturing early and getting after it! If you have kids just happy to have a jersey on then you’ve lost already!

Last edited:
Reactions: 704CougarsDad
I think because kids might have 2 miss school 2 go down there.. it is a 7/8 hr trip

you sure bout that? Didnt Indy go to Ohio years back? In fact Indy was going to Florida to play until a hurricane came. Vance could also easily play them Saturday. I don't think NCHSAA would prevent you from playing because of distance

you sure bout that? Didnt Indy go to Ohio years back? In fact Indy was going to Florida to play until a hurricane came. Vance could also easily play them Saturday. I don't think NCHSAA would prevent you from playing because of distance

Yep! Indy flew out to Cincinnati to play Elder back in 2007. The Creek has made attempts to play Colquitt & South Florida teams. Couldn't work out the schedule and finances.

Yep! Indy flew out to Cincinnati to play Elder back in 2007. The Creek has made attempts to play Colquitt & South Florida teams. Couldn't work out the schedule and finances.
Exactly there were talks back n forth but nothing was worked out. I'm not sure it was the money or the process of going was the problem but were reaching out 2 schools for next yr. Would love a DF or Ft. Dorchestor, Dorman.

Vance and MC could have played at Colquitt. Colquitt was tight on the purse strings and the travel would have resulted in taking money from the budget to make the trip. Build a program with the money saved plus add dollars to the program by playing a closer located school and / or a home game.

If Colquitt would have offered $5k more than what their final offer was the game would have happened, first with MC and then with Vance after MC pulled out. Think Vance was offered $5k less than MC. MC has a number and appeared to have an agreement but Colquitt wanted to pay $5k less. Rush Propst has a version, Coach P has another.

Last edited:
Reactions: 704CougarsDad
I think Meck teams should look at schools located in Spartanburg County north to York County. A lot of very good competition in that area.

Colquitt is not interested in Saturday games after college football starts. They want Friday games and an opponent that will bring some fans of their own.

The HC at Colquitt, Rush Propst, is probably the guy that pushed hardest and earliest fir national games and ESPN coverage when he was at Hoover. Huge financial support from the boosters, local businesses, and the local government.

If you take the Meck County population and divide it by the number of public high schools you will find that each school equals out to a population very similar to the population of Richmond County. That does not take into account the private schools in Meck County and there is some serious talent in the private schools. Obviously Meck is a much more densely populated area

If you ranked the top schools in Meck County including the privates where would Richmond have ranked in 2017. Using hypothetical matchups I think they would be competitive in every game but there were probably nine NCHSAA teams (8-4A / 1-3A) that were as good or better plus a one of the private school league teams to add to that grouping.

MC, Hough, Vance, North Meck, Butler, Harding, Providence, West Meck,
Catholic, Christian.
Myers Park (edited to add this omission).

Last edited:
If you take the Meck County population and divide it by the number of public high schools you will find that each school equals out to a population very similar to the population of Richmond County. That does not take into account the private schools in Meck County and there is some serious talent in the private schools. Obviously Meck is a much more densely populated area

If you ranked the top schools in Meck County including the privates where would Richmond have ranked in 2017. Using hypothetical matchups I think they would be competitive in every game but there were probably nine NCHSAA teams (8-4A / 1-3A) that were as good or better plus a one of the private school league teams to add to that grouping.

MC, Hough, Vance, North Meck, Butler, Harding, Providence, West Meck,
Catholic, Christian.

Think you would have to add Myers Park.

@btango you think Colquitt will revisit the idea of playing MC in the near future.

Is Wake Forest looking at any out of state games as well?

I'd like to see MC or Vance play Grayson out of Loganville or DeMatha from Maryland

@btango you think Colquitt will revisit the idea of playing MC in the near future.

Is Wake Forest looking at any out of state games as well?

They were willing to play MC last season but not willing to pay MC what they wanted to travel. MC was willing to lose a Home game gate and travel but wanted to cover all expenses and do it right. Colquitt figures they can pay much less to a team that will bring more fans due to the travel distance so they gain twice financially. I don’t believe you need to go all the way to Moultrie to play a great team. I think they are getting a very equivalent team in Dutch Fork.

I have had this argument on various boards over the years. There is no secret fence that wraps around the University Area of Charlotte and keeps all the good football players inside nor is there some kind of special breeding science that continues to feed MC or Vance athletes. The same held true for the Albemarle corridor in the late 90's and 2000's for Indy and Butler . Did Richmond have some special formula to breed talent in the 80's and 90's...............doubtful.

You have to have a talent base to be sure but the dominant programs do two things better than anyone else.

- Get the best athletes in the school on the gridiron
- Develop that talent from the moment they hit 9th grade.

Its 24/7/365 for these coaching staffs with these kids. The true advantage they have is the disparity in coaching talent. That is where the divide gets created. Not by some secret talent pool that they pull kids from.

Agree with this 100%.

I dont think MC or Vance will ever play a national schedule and frankly I have always thought it was overrated. Hell, it takes a monster effort just to get 25 kids to Alabama for one night in the summer when there is no school.

There is GREAT HS football played inside of 4 hours of Charlotte. I love what Palmieri has done with his schedule the last 4 or 5 years. Big time opponent on the road in game one gets everyone focused in the off season. Sprinkle in a Byrnes, RH SP, etc, etc . Then get ready to play the toughest conf schedule in NC. I like it from a fans perspective as well as from a preparation stand point. The results speak for themselves. Think its fair to remember that this is about parents watching their sons play ball as well. 14 hours round trip to Moultrie? Not an easy deal for everyone.

I can think of a dozen matchups I would like to see MC play and if a deep pockets team like Don Bosco or Dematha wants to spend the money to come to MC.....I think thats great as well. In the meantime, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Crest, Hillcrest, North Gwinnett, Dudley, RH NW, Dorman, FT D, Hanna, Boiling Springs.......any of those would work fine. This isnt Bishop Gorman or IMG and it doesnt need to be.

Maybe, just maybe, what green-gold is getting at is the population increase every year in Mecklenburg County. It appears there is a net increase in population in Meck County every year of about 20,000. I am sure that parents with athletes are looking for the best sports program in combination with an outstanding academic program. The economic opportunity in the Charlotte area can draw families with the financial means to decide where to buy their home.

Richmond County has generally lost residents each year since 2012, probably due to lack of economic opportunity in the county.

If a school is in the middle of a good “football run”, certainly they are going to benefit from the infux of 20,000 new residents, some of which are middle and high school athletes.

Maybe, just maybe, what green-gold is getting at is the population increase every year in Mecklenburg County. It appears there is a net increase in population in Meck County every year of about 20,000. I am sure that parents with athletes are looking for the best sports program in combination with an outstanding academic program. The economic opportunity in the Charlotte area can draw families with the financial means to decide where to buy their home.

Richmond County has generally lost residents each year since 2012, probably due to lack of economic opportunity in the county.

If a school is in the middle of a good “football run”, certainly they are going to benefit from the infux of 20,000 new residents, some of which are middle and high school athletes.

You guys act as though every kid plays football in Charlotte....LMAO! With the increase in population, they build more schools. You also leave out the fact, there are over 19 public schools not counting the privates in the area.. South Meck was top 5 largest High School in the State,with over 3000 students. By mid season they had less than 40 players on Varsity. There are numerous teams that barely field a JV team. Just because a parent has finances, does not guarantee the kid can play football. West Meck just lost numerous players because of rezoning. Ardrey Kell had over 150 players on the roster, located in one of the wealthiest areas in Charlotte. Great Facilities with financial support. They were 3-9 last year. If you believe a influx of new residents is the ticket to building a program and a benefit?. It has little to do with nothing.

Last edited:
Hough has a good one
Creek has a good one
North Meck has a pretty solid kid
I’m not real familiar with what Vance has coming back, can’t comment on that one

Mooresville, Nope
LKN, Nope
WC, Nope
Hopewell, Nope

Not the ticket Nepsy but it does help. If you dont think that some parents of athletes care about what schools their kids are districted to then there is no use carrying on here. If it didnt matter real estate agents wouldn’t need to know school districts.

Not the ticket Nepsy but it does help. If you dont think that some parents of athletes care about what schools their kids are districted to then there is no use carrying on here. If it didnt matter real estate agents wouldn’t need to know school districts.

I believe it's more for academics than athletics. Every school in the State gets new kids, Of course it would be more common in larger city's than rural areas. I don't believe it's a legit argument or advantage. A real estate agent knowing the school in a district, or a parent caring about what school his kid attends, does not mean that kid can play football. You can't build a program by replacing the majority of the kids that are already within the program. Although Hough is giving it a shot. :)

I believe it's more of an advantage when kids have been playing with each other longer, before they attend high school.Which is more common in areas like Richmond.

Last edited:
Richmond County does have the advantage of community support no doubt. For the most part though, their population is stagnant. If they want football players (skill and size) they have to hope they are born there

Hough has a good one
Creek has a good one
North Meck has a pretty solid kid
I’m not real familiar with what Vance has coming back, can’t comment on that one

Mooresville, Nope
LKN, Nope
WC, Nope
Hopewell, Nope
Shhhhh I'm not saying nothing...jus know we have a 2nd yr starting QB n a all conference freshman lb coming back...everything else will b displayed vs W. Meck shhhhh lol

The advantage is WAY too insignificant to matter if at all. More people = More schools. Private schools, Charter schools etc,etc. Richmond has the advantage of being the only option in town and an incredible support and fan base that none of the Meck schools have. Its a wash.

The biggest advantage that Richmond has is $$$. I assure you none of the Meck guys are making what a guy like Till or Bailey make.

So they make more money they going to have better players? Make since lol?? More people more schools true but a lot of those schools are not competitive in football. Why is that? If I live in Charlotte and have a son who is playing ball and he is good I'm trying to move to a football school district. Same thing if I'm just moving to Charlotte.

From 1988 to 1998 Richmond won 5 state titles and were easily the most dominant team in the state. There ADM during that time ranged from 1794 down to 1484. There ADM last year was 2208. They had a nearly 50% increase in students and lost to the 4th place team in the Imeck.

Keeping telling me how population growth is an advantage..............LOL

Reactions: Champ_24 and nepsy7
So they make more money they going to have better players? Make since lol?? More people more schools true but a lot of those schools are not competitive in football. Why is that? If I live in Charlotte and have a son who is playing ball and he is good I'm trying to move to a football school district. Same thing if I'm just moving to Charlotte.

Why do you guys believe that just because you have a kid that is good, he will just show up to a Good program, and get on the field ? That's not how it works. A lot of schools are not competitive until they get good coaching. Richmond experienced that 1st hand against North Meck last year. COACHING MATTERS! :) They went from 3-8 to 10-4 with Eric Morman as the new coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Champ_24
I'm not saying population growth is an advantage. Show me where I said that. I'm saying the parents moving to any metro area that has a kid that's good at any sport is going to want to put them at a school that has a good program. If I live in Charlotte and have a kid that's really good at football I'm going to what I need to do to get him away from a 3 win program and get him to a contender. Those late 80's Raider teams was just light years ahead of most everyone else in off season work outs and weight training.

I'm not saying population growth is an advantage. Show me where I said that. I'm saying the parents moving to any metro area that has a kid that's good at any sport is going to want to put them at a school that has a good program. If I live in Charlotte and have a kid that's really good at football I'm going to what I need to do to get him away from a 3 win program and get him to a contender. Those late 80's Raider teams was just light years ahead of most everyone else in off season work outs and weight training.

So are you going to move your kid to Mallard Creek, Butler, Charlotte Catholic, Vance, Hough, Charlotte Christian, North Meck, Providence, Myers Park or Harding last year. ?????????? What if you move your kid and he does not get on the field as expected? Which happens often. What's the next move?

Why do you guys believe that just because you have a kid that is good, he will just show up to a Good program, and get on the field ? That's not how it works. A lot of schools are not competitive until they get good coaching. Richmond experienced that 1st hand against North Meck last year. COACHING MATTERS! :) They went from 3-8 to 10-4 with Eric Morman as the new coach.
Of course coaching matters no one said that it doesn't. I don't think a kid just shows up and gets in the field either. But if a parent moves across town they probably feel pretty convenient there boy good enough too play maybe if talked to the coach before hand

Of course coaching matters no one said that it doesn't. I don't think a kid just shows up and gets in the field either. But if a parent moves across town they probably feel pretty convenient there boy good enough too play maybe if talked to the coach before hand

Yep! I just watched a few players exit the field of no return the other day, that had the conversation with the coach. They felt pretty convenient. So did the players they were competing against. It's not that easy.

From 1988 to 1998 Richmond won 5 state titles and were easily the most dominant team in the state. There ADM during that time ranged from 1794 down to 1484. There ADM last year was 2208...

ADMs at that time would have been for grades 10-12. Richmond has lost students but more importantly they have lost businesses the last thirty years.

You would be 100% wrong. You would be stunned to know how many kids transfer in and never see the field. Some hit the weight room and then practice and dont last a week.

Probably the biggest advantage that I can think of (if you consider it an advantage) when it comes to the metro vs rural thing is the explosion of specialized training that is offered in the Charlotte metro area. These sports performance training centers are popping up everywhere. I’ve seen middle, high school, college, and ex pro athletes training side by side.
Also let’s not overlook the dedication of many of these kids in Charlotte. I lived off of Sam Newell Rd in Matthews during the great Butler championship runs. I would see a number of them get together on their own behind this elementary school and complete drills without a coach being present. Daily. Their self discipline was amazing.

Last edited:
I dont think MC or Vance will ever play a national schedule and frankly I have always thought it was overrated. Hell, it takes a monster effort just to get 25 kids to Alabama for one night in the summer when there is no school.

There is GREAT HS football played inside of 4 hours of Charlotte. I love what Palmieri has done with his schedule the last 4 or 5 years. Big time opponent on the road in game one gets everyone focused in the off season. Sprinkle in a Byrnes, RH SP, etc, etc . Then get ready to play the toughest conf schedule in NC. I like it from a fans perspective as well as from a preparation stand point. The results speak for themselves. Think its fair to remember that this is about parents watching their sons play ball as well. 14 hours round trip to Moultrie? Not an easy deal for everyone.

I can think of a dozen matchups I would like to see MC play and if a deep pockets team like Don Bosco or Dematha wants to spend the money to come to MC.....I think thats great as well. In the meantime, Spartanburg, Gaffney, Crest, Hillcrest, North Gwinnett, Dudley, RH NW, Dorman, FT D, Hanna, Boiling Springs.......any of those would work fine. This isnt Bishop Gorman or IMG and it doesnt need to be.

Blue and Gold.. you hit it on the head... playing a National Schedule is over rated. It takes the “Friday Night Light” out of play. Kids can play a National Schedule when they go to college. High school is about building memories about playing in front of your hometown / city crowd and going to get a bite to eat with your friends / girlfriend after the game. Lol.
We want to play the Dudley, Shelby, Crest, South Pointe type of teams.. where families can load in a car and go to the game. The problem is.... you have Vance, MC, Hough, MP, Butler... and a few others who are having a tough time finding teams in the surrounding area who wants to play... So we are being pushed further out just to get an 11 game schedule.

Probably the biggest advantage that I can think of (if you consider it an advantage) when it comes to the metro vs rural thing is the explosion of specialized training that is offered in the Charlotte metro area. These sports performance training centers are popping up everywhere. I’ve seen middle, high school, college, and ex pro athletes training side by side.
Also let’s not overlook the dedication of many of these kids in Charlotte. I lived off of Sam Newell Rd in Matthews during the great Butler championship runs. I would see a number of them get together on their own behind this elementary school and complete drills without a coach being present. Daily. Their self discipline was amazing.

Total agreement! Remember seeing Indy and Butler kids drilling together in the offseason. Many came up through the same youth program. Watched three NFL receivers running routes with about a dozen high schoolers and college kids.

You get a few high drive leaders and they will get the others to follow.

Blue and Gold.. you hit it on the head... playing a National Schedule is over rated. It takes the “Friday Night Light” out of play. Kids can play a National Schedule when they go to college. High school is about building memories about playing in front of your hometown / city crowd and going to get a bite to eat with your friends / girlfriend after the game. Lol.
We want to play the Dudley, Shelby, Crest, South Pointe type of teams.. where families can load in a car and go to the game. The problem is.... you have Vance, MC, Hough, MP, Butler... and a few others who are having a tough time finding teams in the surrounding area who wants to play... So we are being pushed further out just to get an 11 game schedule.

I believe much of this travel mentality is mostly wrapped up in these HC egos and not about it being a better for the kids and their families. Take a good look at some of these guys like Probst , Tony Sanchez or Poggi up in Baltimore. Ego driven beyond what is already a high ego business.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT