ADVERTISEMENT

Punt advance rule

Reynoldsrocks2

Sep 18, 2015
This may sound strange but I was told that if a punt never crosses the line of scrimmage the punting team can advance it if they catch/recover it. Is this true?? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: tarheelg
This may sound strange but I was told that if a punt never crosses the line of scrimmage the punting team can advance it if they catch/recover it. Is this true?? 🤷‍♂️
Even if the punt crosses the LOS, if it were then to bounce back behind it and the kicking team picks it up there, they can advance. The key is where the ball is possessed (behind or beyond the LOS), not whether or not it crossed it.

This happened in our game with Chambers this past week. We punted it went straight up and bounced around the LOS and went backwards. We picked it up and the ref blew the whistle and gave the ball to Chambers after what was a negative yard punt for us. I was sure we could advance it but no one questioned the call. Thanks for clearing this up!

Reactions: tarheelg
That happens all the time. Some refs don’t even know the rule.

Another that drives me nuts is downing the ball when the punt travels past the LOS. That is a whole different topic

This happened in our game with Chambers this past week. We punted it went straight up and bounced around the LOS and went backwards. We picked it up and the ref blew the whistle and gave the ball to Chambers after what was a negative yard punt for us. I was sure we could advance it but no one questioned the call. Thanks for clearing this up!
I've seen this situation a couple of times over the years. On a training tape from Arkansas HS Officials Association, the director of officials for their state association instructed officials that if the kicking team picks it up, officials should delay a second or two, and if the player does not attempt to advance it, blow it dead then.

The same rule applies on a field goal too. If the defense blocks the kick and it doesn’t go pass the LOS the offense can pick it up and advance the ball.
To bump this up after the reidsville/East duplin game.

After the ball is kicked, what scenario is the ball live and what scenario is the ball dead? I have never seen a live ball situation after a blocked field goal. Every situation was handled by giving the ball at the line of scrimmage, not at the end of the play.

Obviously the white hat knew the rule, but for example, reidsville player starts to advance the ball, the side judge doesn’t know the rule and blows the whistle. What happens then?

Just trying to get an understanding, no sour grapes, duplin earned it.

Inadvertent whistle.

The team in possession may choose to either accept the results of the play at the dead-ball spot or replay the down if, during a down or during a down in which the penalty for a foul is declined, an inadvertent whistle is sounded while the ball is in player possession.

Blocked FG or punt are live balls, either team can advance if the ball is behind the LOS. Only the receiving team can advance if it's past the LOS.

To bump this up after the reidsville/East duplin game.

After the ball is kicked, what scenario is the ball live and what scenario is the ball dead? I have never seen a live ball situation after a blocked field goal. Every situation was handled by giving the ball at the line of scrimmage, not at the end of the play.

Obviously the white hat knew the rule, but for example, reidsville player starts to advance the ball, the side judge doesn’t know the rule and blows the whistle. What happens then?

Just trying to get an understanding, no sour grapes, duplin earned it.
After seeing the replay of this play on TV five or six times, I'm convinced that the Reidsville holder or kicker must have been thinking of the rules on an extra point, where once the ball is kicked, it is dead (i've heard many officials in HS games blow the whistle immediately when the ball is kicked, no matter where the kick is headed), and cannot be returned for 2 points, nor advanced across the goal line for 2 points by the kicking team like (like you can do in college & also now in pros)...on the replay from Saturday you see some guys from both teams stop once the kick was blocked, even though there was no whistle...the Reidsville guy with the ball could have fallen down with the ball and it would have been ED ball right there, or he probably should have taken off with it toward the goal line but that's probably not a situation that you see very often where a kick is blocked back to you....ironically in this game it happened twice...ED punter had kick deflected right back to him and he quickly took off running straight ahead but was tackled a yard or two short of the first down; turnover on downs; Rams ball

Reactions: ReidsvilleRam90
After seeing the replay of this play on TV five or six times, I'm convinced that the Reidsville holder or kicker must have been thinking of the rules on an extra point, where once the ball is kicked, it is dead (i've heard many officials in HS games blow the whistle immediately when the ball is kicked, no matter where the kick is headed), and cannot be returned for 2 points, nor advanced across the goal line for 2 points by the kicking team like (like you can do in college & also now in pros)...on the replay from Saturday you see some guys from both teams stop once the kick was blocked, even though there was no whistle...the Reidsville guy with the ball could have fallen down with the ball and it would have been ED ball right there, or he probably should have taken off with it toward the goal line but that's probably not a situation that you see very often where a kick is blocked back to you....ironically in this game it happened twice...ED punter had kick deflected right back to him and he quickly took off running straight ahead but was tackled a yard or two short of the first down; turnover on downs; Rams ball
ED had such a Golden Horseshoe up their _________ that game, it would have only been fitting if the punter had converted that first down.

ED had such a Golden Horseshoe up their _________ that game, it would have only been fitting if the punter had converted that first down.
In a related story, I'm still amazed by the 6'8, 230 lb freshman WR/DE....i'm used to seeing a lot of guys play on both sides of the ball but those two positions are not two you would normally see together....only ones I can think of lately are AJ Mebane & Jaybron Harvey, both at Southern Durham and both are D1 commits (App. St. & UNC)

I'd rather be lucky than good. I've never lost when I was lucky, but I've been beat when I was good. So hold on to your horseshoe it may come in handy someday!

Reactions: FBRef
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT