ADVERTISEMENT

PSHS Football Coach

RamsFan,

i agree a typical Principle cannot just open positions. But this is Robeson County were we elect criminals into public office and reelect criminals into multiple positions.

"Law Dog, law dont go around here!" Ike Clanton.

Hopefully one day we have one that will stand up and say "I'll be your huckleberry" or even better "Tell em i coming and hells coming with me you hear, HELLS COMING WITH ME"

Originally posted by the173herd:

Now it is down to only 8 interviews, i knew my ppl wouldnt and couldnt interview 27 ppl. but give them a free buffet and they will stand in line for 27 hrs. Just saying.

so 4 were interviewed yesterday and 4 more today. the annoucement will be made in 2 weeks. what will take so long? who are the 8?

SwettRams or Mr Prez why is it taking so long?
This post was edited on 1/30 8:44 AM by the173herd
I hear the same thing-8 interviews. Heard last night you got 1 dead ringer/ace in the hole who interviewed yesterday. Has experience at all levels-MS, HS, and college. I do not know who all has apply and being interviewed but this hire will be interesting.

I was told the same thing. 4/4 and that he might move in his complete staff. Dont know how true that is and dont want to start rumors but that is what I collected

The announcement will be the 2nd Tuesday of Feb at the Board of Education.

I hope Swett gets a good hire. Heil is as good a coach as they could have but I guess he ticked off some of the wrong people.

In closing just let me say that although many people are curious to see who gets the Swett job, reading the jibberish that has been posted by some of the Swett posters is mind numbing, ridiculous and just frustrating to read. It is so silly and I guess you have to have some twisted sense of humor to understand it. This thread has not been as bad but some of the previous threads were just awful.

This post was edited on 1/30 10:08 AM by bubbafine

This post was edited on 1/30 10:08 AM by bubbafine

Apex,
How so?
I know he has college experience, But why not bring that coach From Dillon, SC who is currently getting payed $63,000 and is requesting $80,000 to come to Purnell Swett.

I was told by a military buddy of mine from Dillon that the $80,000 request has already been denied. The coach has a astonishing record on his watch.

My question is:
Has there ever been a African American coach(period) in the history of Purnell Swett?

This post was edited on 1/31 7:41 PM by swett2victory

The hiring process should be blind to race. Anything else is racism.

George is who they want and can afford. And in hiring George, you'll get very close to what you want from a racial aspect.

The Dillon coach is a friend of mine. We played together years ago. He is making 70000 as an assistant in Dillon. I would love to see him at PS.

Apex
+1
I like your responce. That is exactly why I asked the question.

QB4ever
Thanks for the correction on the dollar amount and his current position. Preach to me a lttle more about your coach

1. His Name
2. What is the status of his interview
3. Does he have college experience
4. From your close friendship, what would he bring to Purnell Swett
5. Besides the dollar amount what else has he requested?

This post was edited on 1/31 9:09 PM by swett2victory

I talked to him 3 days ago. He is the Assistant Head Coach and has been the OC. They have won 5 State Championships. I think he would love to come back to RC. I don't think he asked for anything other than that salary of 80k. I have attended games and they are always exciting to watch. I am going to talk to him again soon.

Originally posted by QB4ever:
I talked to him 3 days ago. He is the Assistant Head Coach and has been the OC. They have won 5 State Championships. I think he would love to come back to RC. I don't think he asked for anything other than that salary of 80k. I have attended games and they are always exciting to watch. I am going to talk to him again soon.
QB4ever...great information. This is a great small snapshot of the coach but it is tough to judge without seeing a complete record of his injected history.

Dillon Coach

He has contributed to 5 State Championships
As a current Assistance Coach he has dominated the OC side
Asking for $80,000
What are the concerns with this coach?
How long has he been coaching?
What has been his average terms in a coaching position?
With knowing that he would love to go back to RC: does this mean he would not have longevity at Purnell Swett?

I SEE THIS ASSISTANCE COACH BEING PROMOTED TO PURNELL SWETTS COACH AND BRINGING PURPOSE, DIRECTION AND MOTIVATION. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR FROM A LEADER AS A SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT IN THIS FIELD...

This would be all the Purnell Swett community has been asking for. So why not pitch out the $80,000 and build a program that has a seed of the healthy vegetables Purnell Swett fans have been looking for...

IS WINNING NOT WHAT PURNELL SWETT WANTS............WELL THIS IS WHAT IT COST IN 2015

LET'S BREAK BREAD, GET THE LOAN, AND BUILD THIS EMPIRE

----------------------------------------BREAK-----------------------------------------------

Coach Coltharp
He has college experience
also has a great record on his watch
What can he bring to the game that Dillon's coach cannot?
How many Championships has he been a part of?
What are the concerns with this coach?
How long has he ben coaching?
What has been his average terms in a coaching position?
How much is he asking for?
Is he in it for longevity?

If I was part of the hiring authorities, My one word for both of these great coaches would be longevity[/B]. I wouldnt want to see a state championship and then coach moves on to another chapter

This post was edited on 1/31 11:46 PM by swett2victory

Through many military friends and them knowing the coaches, this was my conversation. Any information here may be inaccurate, so if it is someone come up on the net. Ok, so here is the way I am seeing it.

1. Dillon Coach: 5-Time Champ contributor, OC bonafied. asking $80,000
2. Coach Coltharp: MS. Red Springs, College experience
3. J Deese: Purnell Swett JV. Great record. Awesome coach.
4. Coach Sampson: Purnell Swett grad, was at Swett in the early 2000s, been at New Hanover past few years
5. Lumberton Coach: no information
6. Hoke coach: no information
7. Hoke coach: no information
8. Smith coach: no information

Extra: J Deese: (Florida) College experience, came home for the Holidays and was denied his own staff.

As a fan:
I choose to have a coach who will be a stranger to all of the Purnell Swett community: That way, the buddy system goes out the door.[/B]

This post was edited on 2/1 3:13 PM by swett2victory

Remember 2 things about why coach Heil was asked to leave:

1. Coaching staff lost faith in him. Well D.O. (One of the assistant coaches) wants the Sampson guy so he can stay on staff. Any coach with a set of balls would fire him in a second after he pulled his sword out of the last coaches back.

2. XXX - That was the other rumor/reason he was asked to leave. Now the principle and board have a chance to hire a coach of color, only the second in school history behind Thomas Humphrey. He should make this hire, not because he is worried about hiring a black coach, not because he wants ppl to not think he is racist but because of the coaches record.
This post was edited on 2/5 10:34 AM by Deana_King

My understanding is Sampson was contacted and asked to apply. Not sure what that means.

Funny that is what thr gridiron club did when they wanted Heil in 2007. Asked him if they got stone out would he come back? Wonder how long before Heil left did they ask Sampson to apply?

This post was edited on 2/1 4:45 PM by the173herd

This post was edited on 2/1 4:46 PM by the173herd

Just talked to Coach about an hour ago. He has been with Coach Hayes the entire time helping to build Dillon's program. I do know the people of Dillon as well as the player's really like him and would sure hate to lose him. Those other guys on S2Vs list seem to be winners also. Funny thing is that Stones name has come up. We both played for him way back when.

This post was edited on 2/1 5:06 PM by QB4ever

"You can check the meat if you stick your head up a bulls ass or you can ask the butcher" tommy boy

I want a proven winner that is a OC or higher experience at a championship winning team. Not a 1a school or a d-line coach. Yes you have to start somewhere but not in a 4a conference that is one of the best conferences in the state.

Qb4ever
That last message was a little bit lopsided/fishy.

Anyhow, If he has 5 state championships in one school then I believe the whole community would have an understanding why he chose to leave.........CAREER PROGRESSION

So since you talked to him about 2 hours ago now, What was spoken about in terms of Purnell Swett?

His interview was Friday. I didn't ask him anything other than how it went. He said it was good. My statement about players and people not wanting him to leave was simply to show how well respected he is in the community. Not sure what was fishy there.

I have respect for him just acknowledging his contributed record. Since he makes $70,000 a year that's why the grid iron club is there to support and match up his request at Purnell Swett.

This post was edited on 2/1 7:48 PM by swett2victory

Gridiron club is a joke!

Better off doing what you have been doing, get it yourself S2V

I don't think in NC Booster Clubs can legally contribute towards a coaches salary. Think it's legal in SC. Can anyone clarify that?

Mr. Wildcat
The Booster Club and the grid iron club are two different animals.

HERD
Im trying to do what I can to best suit the things in need.....Swettram[/B] Got upset with me because he thought made it sound as if I was stealing someone's thunder and as if I was going to ask for a reward For the work I'm trying to do it.............that was STUPID[/B]

The money I collect up is for the kids and for the program and I don't want nothing out of it and I sure don't want to be acknowledged for it. I Grew up in a poor area in my country but I was raised up to realize where I came from and to give without any expectation of reward.

This post was edited on 2/2 12:12 AM by swett2victory

i agree a typical Principle cannot just open positions.
But this is Robeson County were we elect criminals into public office
and reelect criminals into multiple positions.

While this might be true, every state DPI I have ever been involved with will not allow this to happen. If the new coach comes in and says he wants to bring all 12 of his assistants and the principal agrees and fires 12 of his teachers in the courses these assistant coaches teach my guess is that they would all go straight to the school superintendent and if they did not get any satisfaction they would go to the state superintendent who would not allow this to happen. Remember that this is not college where they are hired to only coach FB. The majority of them are hired to teach as well. The only ones who do not teach are either retired from teaching or work another job and are hired as part time assistants or volunteer. So, the guy who wanted to bring in his entire staff must have been dreaming. The guy who wants $80,000 also needs to understand that $20,000 - $25,000 or more of that will have to come from sources other than the school system (booster club). That depends on where he is on the teaching scale because the state of NC has a scale based on years of experience as well as the LEA has a set amount they pay for a local supplement and a coaches scale. It is not like the school principal can agree to simpl;y give him what he wants. In some LEA's it is illegal for the Booster Club to supplement coaches salaries. But like you say Roberson County boosters clubs may be able to do this.

Originally posted by No.1RamsFan:
i agree a typical Principle cannot just open positions.
But this is Robeson County were we elect criminals into public office
and reelect criminals into multiple positions.

While this might be true, every state DPI I have ever been involved with will not allow this to happen. If the new coach comes in and says he wants to bring all 12 of his assistants and the principal agrees and fires 12 of his teachers in the courses these assistant coaches teach my guess is that they would all go straight to the school superintendent and if they did not get any satisfaction they would go to the state superintendent who would not allow this to happen. Remember that this is not college where they are hired to only coach FB. The majority of them are hired to teach as well. The only ones who do not teach are either retired from teaching or work another job and are hired as part time assistants or volunteer. So, the guy who wanted to bring in his entire staff must have been dreaming. The guy who wants $80,000 also needs to understand that $20,000 - $25,000 or more of that will have to come from sources other than the school system (booster club). That depends on where he is on the teaching scale because the state of NC has a scale based on years of experience as well as the LEA has a set amount they pay for a local supplement and a coaches scale. It is not like the school principal can agree to simpl;y give him what he wants. In some LEA's it is illegal for the Booster Club to supplement coaches salaries. But like you say Roberson County boosters clubs may be able to do this.
In a 10 month period:
Teachers with:
Bachelor's Degree
with 5-9 years of experience: over $36,000
10-14 years of experience: $40,000
15-19 years of experience: over $43,000
AND SO ON

Masters Degree
2-4 years experience: over $36,000
5-9 years of experience: over $40,000
AND SO ON

SPECIAL SUPPLEMENTS
depending on how many months/years they have:
The supplement for a head football coach goes up with experience, starting at $2,550 and rising to $3,300 with 12 years of experience
WGT TRN Starting at $411

Overall on a average range a NC Coaches salary is between $16,000 - $65,000
Bill Kimrey from Dutch Forks, SC made $104,000
Some of the SC football coaches salary is astronomical compared to what their NC counterpart make.

Purnell Swett has 150 certified positions alone and I would say this is in favor of the new coach to wish upon his stars.

Am I partly correct Mr Ram Fan sir or am I off?

This post was edited on 2/2 12:19 AM by swett2victory

Jack Scmidt,

who is the dead ringer?
Wasn't going to name names but since somebody else decided to let most of the cats out the bag why not. Royal, assistant HC @ Hoke. Didn't know 2 from Hoke applied. Didn't know Coltharp have MS experience either.

Originally posted by Jack ScHmIdT:

Jack Scmidt,

who is the dead ringer?
Wasn't going to name names but since somebody else decided to let most of the cats out the bag why not. Royal, assistant HC @ Hoke. Didn't know 2 from Hoke applied. Didn't know Coltharp have MS experience either.
Jack
MS: typo
He only went through I think Red Springs, Harnett HS and Lanes college. Well known for his air raid(10yrs experience in HS)

HOKE: that is what was told to conversation

Thanks for coming up on the net and correcting that

I will say this again. we need to hire a coach with excellent resume! Not someone wanting to start a resume. We need to compete with RC and SC before we can even think about playoffs. Right now we cannot do that.

We need to hire a coach with no ties to the area or school, a coach that will invest in the area because the area will invest in him.

the one coach that was asked to drop his application has ties to the area and already has support of some on the coaching staff. he has ties to the area and will have no choice to play a nephew, cousin, preacher, or telephone repair mans kid.

the one from Dillon has a resume out of this world. that being said he still lives within what i consider driving distance to the school. that is one thing I thought about Heil is that him living in Fayetteville he couldnt give the program all the attention he wanted to. If the coach is hired and has to commute 30-45 mins depending on traffic he will be in the same predicument.

hire a coach with no ties to the area and has to make West Robeson his home, be part of the community, go to the churchs the kids go to, go to the resturants the kids eat at.

I agree with you 100%. I believe you and I can think outside the box and at the same time throw it away.

I believe Coach Brown would be the perfect fit for PS. He is African American, He is near by Dillon and not too many people know hime(like that), He is an assistance AD & OC, He has 30 years of experience, and he may be ready to retire from SC to come to NC

But I find something kinda lopsided/fishy: Was there a couple coaches asked to apply?

also, I may start to belive that Coach Coltharp may be the man because Coaxh Brown has never ever been a head coach in 30yrs and I thought he was young at first.

I know one thing: Coach Coltharp interview was flawless and he can sell ice to a polarbear. This may be more of reality but just not sure since he ha a couple hickups in the past.

This post was edited on 2/2 12:07 PM by swett2victory

Brown is AFrican American. Been with Jackie Hayes at Dillon for pretty good while. Don't know much else about him other than they been real good at Dillon for a while too.
Royal is African American. From ARizona. Combat Veteran-not sure what branch-1st Gulf war. Been coaching over 20 years. Told he was 1st guy Paris hired at Hoke-don't know how their connected before HOke.
Coltharp is Anglo American. Been head coach at WEstover, W.Harnett, RS. He had success at RS, not sure about other places-don't think things went real good at WH. Hard to win at WH.

ANGLO AMERICAN: a citizen of the United States or Canada whose ancestors were originally from Great Britain and whose language and culture derive from Great Britain

that is the definition of anglo american. So shouldnt you refer to all of them to be Anglo American??????? just saying.

So I have heared that a second coach has been told to drop a application. Another Lumbee. Why would we do that???? If someone wants the job wouldnt they apply???

Photo

AR-306059996.jpg&MaxW=550

Story Tools:[/B]

http://robesonian.com/article/20140605/news/306059996/&template=printthis[/URL][/URL]

Font Size:[/B]

https://ncpreps.rivals.com/#

Social Media:[/B]

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

RED SPRINGS - In his time at the helm of the Red Springs High School football team, George Coltharp continually pushed one idea on his players: have the courage to be what you're supposed to be instead of what people think you are.

It's advice he took for himself this week.

Coltharp announced Thursday that he will be leaving Red Springs to become the offensive coordinator at Pine Forest, ending a three-year stint that included back-to-back 10-win seasons and a Three Rivers Conference championship in 2012.

"This is nothing against the kids, nothing against Red Springs, it's just time to move on," Coltharp said. "This is just another step in my career

Knowing that Coach Brown has been coaching for 30yrs and now knowing he is not young:

My questions are:
1. Why has he not been given the head coach position?
2. Follow by- Is he ready to be a coach

This is just another step in my career???????????????????????????????????

NOT!!!! the talent pool was dry in the town of Ye old Springs!!!!!!!

I dont want a coach that is looking to get a notch in his belt like some pimp on prom night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get us a coach that wants to know the legacy of Big Mo!!!!

Get us a coach that will tell the likes of Paul Brooks, Russell the barber, and the rest of the polititicians to get away from my practice and my locker room!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT