ADVERTISEMENT

American Legion Baseball Post your comments here!!

Just saw where high schools are looking at 120 pitch count. Here's what it says:

*If a pitcher throws 96-120 or more pitches in a day, five (5) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 81-95 pitches in a day, four (4) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 66-80 pitches in a day, three (3) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 51-65 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 36-50 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 1-35 pitches in a day, zero (0) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.

Notice the 1-35 requires "0" days of rest. I'm hoping the American Legion will change their rule to this. What's the point of having a closer, if he can't close?
teams well need 2 closer ,

American Legion today announced their new rules for pitch counts in 2017

http://www.legion.org/baseball/234452/legion-baseball-adopts-pitch-count-rule-2017

I would of liked to see the Max for Senior down from 120 pitches to 110 max.

The one that really bothers me is if your pitcher throws 1-45 pitches he has to take a day off. Where in high school i believe 1-30 you don't have to have any rest days. That will really hurt some teams in the regular season with back to back games and especially the playoffs. 1-20 pitches should be no days off!

How will any opposing teams monitor this!

More scoring will be seen next year!
pitcher cant pitch the 9th inning 2 days in arrow in the state tournament. sometimes you have to play 2 games on the same day. well need a lot of pitchers if a pitcher cant pitch in 2 games on the same day. need to change the state tournament format , shouldnt have play to 2 games on the same day. may want to play a series against the same team instead of playing tournament

Last edited:
North South teams set for Legion Challenge

June 16-18 at Riley Park Sumter, SC
*schedule to be release later*

South Carolina
Florence, Chapin-Newberry, Sumter

North Carolina
Rowan County, Wilmington,Pitt County

It really limits you with players especially with Playoffs. What is the point of the Closer then? You can't tell me a college player isn't going to be used in back to back days on the weekend. You can't tell me a high school relief pitcher won't be used back to back day's either.

With the amount of vacations, travel ball, and work most teams don't have their full 18 every game!

This will make teams want to play series so they can monitor this! There will be no way for another team to know how many pitches the kid threw 2 days ago against a opposing team!

Anyone know of anyone that will not have a team in 2017?
some times a team has to play 2 games on the same day in state tournament. may want to give a team that is 3-0 in a tournament a bye to championship day . in other words, they wouldnt have to play again until there is only one other team left .. well need a lot of pitching if a pitch can't pitch in both games. may want to play a series against the same team instead of playing a tournament

Last edited:
You beat me to it Skools.

I agree with you on the 1-45. Most kids throw a bullpen that's within that range the day before a start. I would like to see the American legion move the roster spots up to 20 players for this reason. 2 more roster spots will allow some flexibility in order to meet this pitch count rule. If not, there will possibly less games scheduled, which means less gate money and also less opportunities for the players. This will be especially tough for some of the programs who are unsure if they will have a team year in and year out. Don't get me wrong, I agree with protecting the players, I just believe adding 2 additional roster spots(most likely pitchers) will balance this out all around. Another issue will be properly keeping up with these stats during the game and weekly. What if my pitch chart doesn't match the opposing teams chart? This will mess with the progress of the game, and the next time a pitcher is available. The last thing I want is kids being involved in protests. Hopefully our state or Area, will figure out fair way of passing this information on during the season. As a coach myself, my job is to focus on my team. I don't always know when the opposing pitcher last had an appearance, or whether he should be on 1, 2, 3, or 4 days rest.
some times a teams has to play to 2 games on the same day in the tournament , if a pitcher cant pitch in both games you well need a lot of pitching. may need to change the playoff format, from a tournament to a series against the same team.

If you notice, it says pitches per day. If I'm reading this correctly, if you have 2 games in the same day, you could have your closer close game 1 and game 2 and just add the pitches together for the total amount of pitches for that day. Hon Dines...is that right?

If you notice, it says pitches per day. If I'm reading this correctly, if you have 2 games in the same day, you could have your closer close game 1 and game 2 and just add the pitches together for the total amount of pitches for that day. Hon Dines...is that right?
It it doesnt make sense if you can pitch in 2 games on the day you cant pitch 2 days in arrow

Sure it does. It talks about days rest, not games rest. If you throw 1-45 pitches you have a day of rest. It doesn't say you have a game of rest. If you have a double header or two games against two different opponents on the same day, then why couldn't you throw your closer for example 20 pitches in game 1 and 20 pitches in game 2 for a total of 40 pitches? He would rest the next day because he's in the 1-45 range and then be able to pitch the day after that.

Reactions: Hon Dines
I've bee a huge proponent of that for a while.

Keep all these teams east of 77 and south of Mooresville Kanapolis
1. Union County
2. Mint Hill
3. Stanley County
4. Queen City
5. Huntersville
6. Concord
7. Kannapolis
8. Mooresville

These are way to far drives. I feel bad for teams that have to go to Union County and Union County having to travel so far

American Legion today announced their new rules for pitch counts in 2017

http://www.legion.org/baseball/234452/legion-baseball-adopts-pitch-count-rule-2017

I would of liked to see the Max for Senior down from 120 pitches to 110 max.

The one that really bothers me is if your pitcher throws 1-45 pitches he has to take a day off. Where in high school i believe 1-30 you don't have to have any rest days. That will really hurt some teams in the regular season with back to back games and especially the playoffs. 1-20 pitches should be no days off!

How will any opposing teams monitor this!

More scoring will be seen next year!
What is a day? if you though your last pitch of a game a 10:06 pm on Monday, at 10:07 pm on Tuesday you have had a days rest.

What is a day? if you though your last pitch of a game a 10:06 pm on Monday, at 10:07 pm on Tuesday you have had a days rest.
BASEBALLFAN1955 All pitch counts use a calendar day of rest. If you pitch on Monday have to wait until Wednesday, Tuesday wait until Thursday, etc.

That is the wording used in the pitch count rules, calendar days, not 24 hours.

BASEBALLFAN1955 All pitch counts use a calendar day of rest. If you pitch on Monday have to wait until Wednesday, Tuesday wait until Thursday, etc.

That is the wording used in the pitch count rules, calendar days, not 24 hours.
carson jr team started a game on friday night and finished on saturday at 500 pm because of rain. can the pitchers that were in the game friday stay in the game saturday at 500 pm? they would be pitching 2 days in arrow. what about the regular game that started at 7pm saturday night?,

Last edited:
I would assume BASEBALLFAN1955 that they would still need a calendars day of rest at the very least. Read here and maybe it will answer some of your questions

https://www.legion.org/sites/legion.org/files/legion/publications/39ACY1116-Baseball-Rule-Book_0.pdf
if a games starts on monday at 7pm and ends tuesday morning at 1am if he needs one days rest can he pitch wednesday or thursday sense he was pitched on tuesday morning . another thing if a pitched at 1159pm on monday and 1201 am tuesday morning (2 min later ) he pitched 2 days in arrow. a day started at 8am under the old rules

I got one what if a pitcher finishes a game in eastern time zone at 11 pm then drives to Chicago at 65 MPH on a 78 mile trip and pitches in another game that starts at 11:30 pm in central time zone does he technically pitch on same day?

Dude I don't know someone will have to figure all this stuff out.

Maybe with a slide rule?

Reactions: Sportsnut17
I wanted to post this in case anyone else is in the same boat:

The Fort Mill Senior Legion Coach just called me and he is looking for a home and home during the week of May 29th. Please email him at tomskula1@gmail.com if you are also looking for games.

They are right over the border and we have played them in the past. Competitive team year in and year out. Probably say the would finish in the middle of the pack in league iv or league III

I have a quick rule question for you guys. A kid attends a NC school near the Virginia Border. Example Gates County High School, Roanoke Rapids, North Hampton County, Waren County, Stoneville, John Morehead, North Surry, Allegheny.

From his home domicile and high school the closest base school is located in Virginia. For some high schools or players there may not be a NC team 45 min to a hour away.

If you read through the rule book the only thing it states is that if a player is transferred across state lines both department chairmen have to sign off on it.

Now that is for transfers. That doesn't tell you about who he first has to try out for.

If you read both recruiting plans A and B it says you have to play for either the team closest to your domicile or high school you attend. What if that is in Virginia.

After all these years I would assume someone would have brought that up and would be in the national rule book.

Any insight to this? How do I I contact national to suggest put that in next year?

want about the player that goes to South Rowan that lives closer to carson than he does kannapolis and he is JR ball age , but went he gets SR ball age he lives closer to kannapolis than rowan or moorsville,? can he tryout for the carson jr team(closest jr team) and kannapolis sr team (closest sr team) in the same year?

Most legion programs to tryouts for senior and jr. at the same time, because most of the time, the younger (more talented) players play senior ball the beginning of the year (until cuts), and then go down to the Jr. team for the rest of the season. I would imagine, depending on where you live, you could try out a different senior team and junior team.

carson is the closest jr team to his parents home , but kannapolis is the closest sr team to his parents home , can he play for kannapolis jr team without carson releasing him ? kannapolis has jr and sr teams, but carson has jr team, only , but he goes to south rowan high school.

Last edited:
carson is the closest jr team to his parents home , but kannapolis is the closest sr team to his parents home , can he play for kannapolis jr team without carson releasing him ? kannapolis has jr and sr teams, but carson has jr team, only
Yes, he can play for Senior team, if they are carrying Carson enrollment.

I agree Sportsnut

High School Season Feburary-May
Summer- May- August
Fall -August-October

Dead season should be November-January- Here is the issue I think they recommend 4 months time off never happens. Kids go see a pitching coach this off season months to get better. They never take off. The mindset in those months is I have to get better. In reality your only hurting your arm.

My opinion is get rid of this fall ball. I never had fall ball growing up but if you must keep it cut it down.
dont know american legion had fall legion. if they dont , they should start one for plays that could play JR or Sr legion the next year. . start the season the week after ws in Shelby , NC play Saturdays and Sundays , only most of players would be off from the first week in July (when the first round of playoffs are over) until late August. most of players would be off most of July ,most of August, November, January, and February, 5 months, not all the 5 months would be in arrow

Just saw where high schools are looking at 120 pitch count. Here's what it says:

*If a pitcher throws 96-120 or more pitches in a day, five (5) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 81-95 pitches in a day, four (4) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 66-80 pitches in a day, three (3) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 51-65 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 36-50 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar day of rest is required before pitching again.
*If a pitcher throws 1-35 pitches in a day, zero (0) calendar days of rest are required before pitching again.

Notice the 1-35 requires "0" days of rest. I'm hoping the American Legion will change their rule to this. What's the point of having a closer, if he can't close?
dont need a closer playing 7 inning games , more starters are finishing games. hopefully they will go back to 9 innings in 2019

if there are more than 16 teams in area 4 they need to more some teams to area 3 so every team can be in playoffs

almost half of the JR teams are in area 3, doesnt make sense for a area with 27 teams to have same number of teams in the state tournament as a team with only 6 teams. something applies to SR tournament as area 4 has more teams need to realign the areas when no area will no more than one more team than another area if there are 64 teams then each area should have 16 teams. if there are 60 each area should have 15 teams , if there are 56 teams each area should have 14 teams. 52 teams each area 13 teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT