ADVERTISEMENT

post scores for -9-06

Avery- 10
Bessemer City- 36
7:00 to go

Offensive Coordinator needed in Newland, defense on the field way to long.

I have no words for what I just saw. Murphy driving to go up 22 to 6 and now down 20-15 after two fumbles in West Henderson territory, unbelievable.

I don't want to talk down about a kid trying his best out there, but regardless of how this game shakes out, the reality is Murphy can't compete with the true top tier teams with #10 at QB. No threat in the passing game (which totally neuters their best athlete #3) so all the load is on the run game.
Hey good thing you don’t want to talk down about a kid trying his best out there.

How did y'all lose to Andrews? All I saw on preps was hayesville top 3 in SMC this year.
A turnover driving in for a score…Then another turnover driving in for a score. Then one more turnover while driving in for a score. Plus 2 other turnovers so 5 total for the game. Hayesville beat themselves tonight. They’ll grow from this having gotten a taste of SMC this early in the season. Another big test next week at Pisgah.

Last edited:
Good win for Murphy, showed a lot of perseverance and mental fortitude to come back after the ending to the first half.

Reactions: NC nole fan
Anyone got the RS Central/Wilkes Central score? Can't find it anywhere.

Same for Carver/Parkland. Max preps has it a Parkland win, Scorestream a Carver won.

Anyone got the RS Central/Wilkes Central score? Can't find it anywhere.

Same for Carver/Parkland. Max preps has it a Parkland win, Scorestream a Carver won.
You know RS Central and Wilkes Central are 2A. The scores posted on that board, not 1a.

I have no words for what I just saw. Murphy driving to go up 22 to 6 and now down 20-15 after two fumbles in West Henderson territory, unbelievable.

I don't want to talk down about a kid trying his best out there, but regardless of how this game shakes out, the reality is Murphy can't compete with the true top tier teams with #10 at QB. No threat in the passing game (which totally neuters their best athlete #3) so all the load is on the run game.
They need to put in some new wrinkles in the passing game with short throws. Some bubble screens to #3, motion him into the flat, and have another wr clear the flat out. Put him in a bunch formation with Clem and Shore...all three of those guys can house it at any time. Roll the QB and run levels on that side to shorten the throw needed.

But I agree #3 needs a minimum of 10 touches/game imho.

I believe what our hayesville fan is trying to say is...yes Andrew's beat us tonight!
In all honesty both teams played pretty good defense. Each team had less than 200 yards of offense. The key stat of the game was that Hayesville turned the ball over 5 times. The good news was each team had few penalties.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
In all honesty both teams played pretty good defense. Each team had less than 200 yards of offense. The key stat of the game was that Hayesville turned the ball over 5 times. The good news was each team had few penalties.
Maxpreps has hayesville at 117 total yards. Is that correct?

Yep and Andrews about 150.
Good luck the rest of the year till we meet again last game of conference. On a side note just want to give Andrews coaching staff some credit. They only have 3 coaches through the week at practice and 1 more that is able to help on Friday nights. I know they're a small school but I can't imagine how hard that must be. Glad to see one of the Martin brothers out there helping on game nights. The culture on Andrews has definitely changed. 8 years ago they would have lost that game in the 4th qtr. Now culture says pull up your big boy pants and keep playing hard. Keep at it Phillips and staff!

It sure was a defensive battle. Not fun to watch but only the 2nd game of season for both teams. Hopefully both teams will be able to increase offensive production as the season goes on. Andrews travels to Mitchell next Friday

Reactions: recycled2
Good win for Murphy, showed a lot of perseverance and mental fortitude to come back after the ending to the first half.
To me this was one of the most surprising scores of the week across the state. Hats off to the coaching staff and players. Wish I could have went and watched it.

Reactions: mbdfan
They need to put in some new wrinkles in the passing game with short throws. Some bubble screens to #3, motion him into the flat, and have another wr clear the flat out. Put him in a bunch formation with Clem and Shore...all three of those guys can house it at any time. Roll the QB and run levels on that side to shorten the throw needed.

But I agree #3 needs a minimum of 10 touches/game imho.
Well I agree with you completely. Right now the passing game is limited to taking a couple shots downfield and that's just not #10's game, he doesn't have the arm strength to pose a threat in the vertical passing game. Even on the bomb to #3 last night it was #3 making a play on a ball that was underthrown. By and large they've just largely scrapped the passing attack all together since the Franklin game though and given how ineffective it was that night I understand it but you've got to be creative (something I know Watson has in his bag) and go a different way because it just puts too much onus on #5 ( who is not ready to carry that kind of load like Stalcup did yet) and #2 to produce all the offense.

#3 is more than capable of racking up YAC, get him the ball out in the flats and let him go to work (#10 has shown he can do ok in the short passing game, we saw them effectively get the ball in Stalcup's hands in the passing game that way last year). We also saw the damage #3 can do on the jet sweep last year against Mount Airy. The bottomline is the objective is to get the ball in your best athlete(s) hands, get it to #3 in space and let him create. They aren't maximizing that at the moment and that's something that will have to be rectified if this team wants to compete for a conference championship and make a deep run.

To give #10 some credit, the young man has good wheels at QB, a few more designed runs for him wouldn't be a bad thing (although the fumbles are a real problem), it gets him more involved and opens things up for others.

Reactions: therealsquid
Well I agree with you completely. Right now the passing game is limited to taking a couple shots downfield and that's just not #10's game, he doesn't have the arm strength to pose a threat in the vertical passing game. Even on the bomb to #3 last night it was #3 making a play on a ball that was underthrown. By and large they've just largely scrapped the passing attack all together since the Franklin game though and given how ineffective it was that night I understand it but you've got to be creative (something I know Watson has in his bag) and go a different way because it just puts too much onus on #5 ( who is not ready to carry that kind of load like Stalcup did yet) and #2 to produce all the offense.

#3 is more than capable of racking up YAC, get him the ball out in the flats and let him go to work (#10 has shown he can do ok in the short passing game, we saw them effectively get the ball in Stalcup's hands in the passing game that way last year). We also saw the damage #3 can do on the jet sweep last year against Mount Airy. The bottomline is the objective is to get the ball in your best athlete(s) hands, get it to #3 in space and let him create. They aren't maximizing that at the moment and that's something that will have to be rectified if this team wants to compete for a conference championship and make a deep run.

To give #10 some credit, the young man has good wheels at QB, a few more designed runs for him wouldn't be a bad thing (although the fumbles are a real problem), it gets him more involved and opens things up for others.
Murphy still has a couple of big guns out because of injury. They should both be back in the near future.

Also, Murphy will have a lot more depth at the skill positions once the JV season ends (right in time for the SMC part of the schedule). Several big lineman will be moving up too. Murphy may or may not use any of the JVs this season but it’s nice having the bodies if you need them. Those boys can sure play. They have a swarming defense and the weapons on offense to score from anywhere on the field at anytime. They are 4-0 right now with the big one coming up at home this week against Robbinsville (also 4-0). Winner should take the conference title.

Reactions: GreyGod623
Murphy still has a couple of big guns out because of injury. They should both be back in the near future.
Getting Breazeale back on the field in a few weeks will certainly be a big help on defense, not sure about the other big gun you're referring to but if it's who I'm assuming you're speaking of I think that particular player is a depth piece only at this point.

As far as the JV squad goes, you're right it's a big group so there's the potential for increased depth but I don't see any of them making an impact on varsity this year with the exception of Davis IF they choose to give him reps, which I'm not sure will happen. To my original point about the QB position, the JV QB Bain has all the tools to be a good future QB at Murphy and I have no reason to think he can't challenge #10 for the position next year if he continues to develop, but I find very unlikely that he will get that opportunity at QB until #10 has graduated.

Last edited:
Reactions: NC nole fan
Getting Breazeale back on the field in a few weeks will certainly be a big help on defense, not sure about the other big gun you're referring to but if it's who I'm assuming you're speaking of I think that particular player is a depth piece only at this point.

As far as the JV squad goes, you're right it's a big group so there's the potential for increased depth but I don't see any of them making an impact on varsity this year with the exception of Davis IF they choose to give him reps, which I'm not sure will happen. To my original point about the QB position, the JV QB Bain has all the tools to be a good future QB at Murphy and I have no reason to think he can't challenge #10 for the position next year if he continues to develop, but I find very unlikely that he will get that opportunity at QB until #10 has graduated.
It will be an interesting QB battle next season for sure. Murphy should have one of the top backfields in WNC next season in terms of talent and depth, so the QB position might come down to how well Murphy can run the ball. If they can run it like I think they can, then you may be right about #10 starting at QB. But, if the coaches desire a strong passing game in addition to a strong running game, then the JV kid could get the nod depending on how he progresses. Murphy will have lots of good people to throw to as well next season. It will be fun to see how it turns out.

Reactions: GreyGod623
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT