ADVERTISEMENT

Post Boys Scores- December

very difficult to co-ordinate info...also what's up with highschool ot?? they're about 2 days behind the ball on stories....I thought for sure they would be covering the Wall tourney.....Holiday time I guess.............

very difficult to co-ordinate info...also what's up with highschool ot?? they're about 2 days behind the ball on stories....I thought for sure they would be covering the Wall tourney.....Holiday time I guess.............
I could do it ... and I'm old

Will someone please explain how Asheboro is " rated " over Greensboro Smith ? Asheboro has played Providence Grove ( 3-10 ) three times , Southwestern Randolph (2-10 ) three times, Uwharrie Charter, a 1-A team twice. Asheboro has the same record as Smith, 11-1, but pansy their non conference schedule every year with nothing but 1-A and 2-A squads. Meanwhile, Smith has played Grimsley, Page, Dudley, and Southern Durham to name a few. I guess some institutions are happy with a great regular season record, only to get curb stomped in the second round. This " poll " is from the NCHSAA and is worthless.

TEAM
RECORDWPOWPOOWPRPI
1Ashbrook10-1-00.9090910.7528240.5218500.730412
2Hickory9-0-01.0000000.5625700.6018410.705580
3Central Cabarrus11-0-01.0000000.4936070.5947410.675865
4North Lincoln9-2-00.8181820.6016050.5995090.665949
5Central Davidson13-1-00.9285710.5251440.5348420.649082
6North Henderson10-2-00.8333330.5848500.5460550.647756
7Kings Mountain7-2-00.7777780.5716410.6137710.646121
8Southern Guilford11-1-00.9166670.4632120.6070310.642394
9Asheboro11-1-00.9166670.4745730.5753100.637422
10Ben L. Smith11-1-00.9166670.4480850.6071460.63637

Last edited:
How is Central Cabarrus not rated number one ? Central Davidson is number five ? Really ? Some that think Dudley isn't Dudley this year may be in for a surprise at the end of the campaign.

How is Central Cabarrus not rated number one ?

Doesn't factor in margin of victory. And it can't tell the level of competition your OWP is against. For instance, you'd be better off winning by 2 over a school that was 10-0 after it beat a bunch of 1A schools than you would be blowing out a private school that had lost four or five games playing a national schedule. But it tends to get more accurate as the season goes on.

Page beat Grimsley and Greensboro Day School and lost to Greensboro Smith by 3 in the championship game of the Haeco.

Page has lost quite a few really close games.
by 3 against a 9-2 West Caldwell
by 2 against a 11-1 Southern Guilford
by 1 against a 6-1 Fayetteville Westover
by 3 against a 9-2 Ben L Smith

Sitting at 6-6, Page seems like they may be able to be some kind of darkhorse in conference play and in the playoffs.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
McDowell beat Roberson 62-57 on the road to move to 10-1 (1-0). They still have a few non conference games left. South Caldwell and Hibriten at home. I think the MAC comes down to Reynolds or McDowell.

Will someone please explain how Asheboro is " rated " over Greensboro Smith ? Asheboro has played Providence Grove ( 3-10 ) three times , Southwestern Randolph (2-10 ) three times, Uwharrie Charter, a 1-A team twice. Asheboro has the same record as Smith, 11-1, but pansy their non conference schedule every year with nothing but 1-A and 2-A squads. Meanwhile, Smith has played Grimsley, Page, Dudley, and Southern Durham to name a few. I guess some institutions are happy with a great regular season record, only to get curb stomped in the second round. This " poll " is from the NCHSAA and is worthless.

TEAM
RECORDWPOWPOOWPRPI
1Ashbrook10-1-00.9090910.7528240.5218500.730412
2Hickory9-0-01.0000000.5625700.6018410.705580
3Central Cabarrus11-0-01.0000000.4936070.5947410.675865
4North Lincoln9-2-00.8181820.6016050.5995090.665949
5Central Davidson13-1-00.9285710.5251440.5348420.649082
6North Henderson10-2-00.8333330.5848500.5460550.647756
7Kings Mountain7-2-00.7777780.5716410.6137710.646121
8Southern Guilford11-1-00.9166670.4632120.6070310.642394
9Asheboro11-1-00.9166670.4745730.5753100.637422
10Ben L. Smith11-1-00.9166670.4480850.6071460.63637

Not trying to come off as a smart a**, but it's just simple math. The teams that Asheboro has played, played better teams than the teams that Smith has played. That is the OOWP column. Honestly, I wouldn't even look at RPI until around 75% of the season has played out or mid way through conference games. As someone stated above, it will correct itself as the season plays out.

I believe for football they don't even post them until week 7 or so.

Not trying to come off as a smart a**, but it's just simple math. The teams that Asheboro has played, played better teams than the teams that Smith has played. That is the OOWP column. Honestly, I wouldn't even look at RPI until around 75% of the season has played out or mid way through conference games. As someone stated above, it will correct itself as the season plays out.

I believe for football they don't even post them until week 7 or so.
First of all i do not think your're a smart ass at all, but I did receive an extended chuckle over your " Asheboro has played better teams than Smith " comment. Smith has played five 4-A teams, five 3-A teams, High Point Christian Academy, and ONE 2-A team. ALL of Asheboro's non conference games have been against 2-A and 1-A teams. Shouldn't WHO you have played figure in the RPI ranking system ? According to whomever makes this poll, a win against Myers Park is the same as a win against Southwestern Randolph or Providence Grove ? As far as I'm concerned the method the NCHSAA uses for these " rankings " is known as Outer Space Math, void of all common sense. Is common sense even in Webster's any more ?

First of all i do not think your're a smart ass at all, but I did receive an extended chuckle over your " Asheboro has played better teams than Smith " comment. Smith has played five 4-A teams, five 3-A teams, High Point Christian Academy, and ONE 2-A team. ALL of Asheboro's non conference games have been against 2-A and 1-A teams. Shouldn't WHO you have played figure in the RPI ranking system ? According to whomever makes this poll, a win against Myers Park is the same as a win against Southwestern Randolph or Providence Grove ? As far as I'm concerned the method the NCHSAA uses for these " rankings " is known as Outer Space Math, void of all common sense. Is common sense even in Webster's any more ?
I went and looked up the current rankings and Asheboro's opponents are .497070 while Smith's are .453051. So overall, yes Asheboro has played the "harder" schedule based on win percentages of those teams.

I agree that they should factor in if it is a 1A or a 4A, but they don't. Also, like I said before, the math/rankings will be more accurate later in the season, especially when teams get into conference play.

FYI: RPI = (0.3 x WP) + (0.4 x OWP) + (0.3 x OOWP)

I went and looked up the current rankings and Asheboro's opponents are .497070 while Smith's are .453051. So overall, yes Asheboro has played the "harder" schedule based on win percentages of those teams.

I agree that they should factor in if it is a 1A or a 4A, but they don't. Also, like I said before, the math/rankings will be more accurate later in the season, especially when teams get into conference play.

The divisions in basketball aren't really as big of a deal. Its a lot more parity between 1a-4a then you might think. Cause its a lot of 2a ranked teams that are ranked highly in the state

The " system " of awarding 3-A teams that play their entire non conference schedule against lower class teams should be " punished " for doing so, possibly by a points system. To say Asheboro's schedule of nothing but 1-A and 2-A teams is stronger than Smith's is laughable at best. We'll see who's still standing after the second round.

Reactions: thekidd12
The divisions in basketball aren't really as big of a deal. Its a lot more parity between 1a-4a then you might think. Cause its a lot of 2a ranked teams that are ranked highly in the state
There's not a lot of difference between the Reidsvilles, Salisburys, or Farmville Centrals, but the average 2-A team generally doesn't fare too well against the average 3-A or 4-A team.

Reactions: thekidd12
The " system " of awarding 3-A teams that play their entire non conference schedule against lower class teams should be " punished " for doing so, possibly by a points system. To say Asheboro's schedule of nothing but 1-A and 2-A teams is stronger than Smith's is laughable at best. We'll see who's still standing after the second round.
I may have voiced similar concerns during football season about this same scenario. There was one team that I believe played an entire schedule of teams that was of a higher classification and yet in the end they ended up with a 3 seed. Despite having only one loss while continually playing “up”…
That is the only tweaking to current RPI system I would like to see implemented…
But what do I know? Used to think I was well schooled in fencing but was proved wrong by a certain poster…

images

I may have voiced similar concerns during football season about this same scenario. There was one team that I believe played an entire schedule of teams that was of a higher classification and yet in the end they ended up with a 3 seed. Despite having only one loss while continually playing “up”…
That is the only tweaking to current RPI system I would like to see implemented…
But what do I know? Used to think I was well schooled in fencing but was proved wrong by a certain poster…
Fencing, amateur and professional , has taken off by leaps and bounds over the last few years, Mister Kidd. Word on the street says Sports Nutt Seventeen sold his house, packed up the VW van, gathered up some Byrds, Allmans, Dylan, and Otis Readding eight track tapes and headed for the tryout camp of the Lexington ( Kentucky ) Lungers professional fencing team, a member of the MILF league, the Midwest International League of Fencing.

Sorta of a strange season so far as the best teams in the area that I have seen are Reidsville and South Stokes. Some good teams in the Charlotte area.

Reactions: GSO-Triple5
I've often wondered if some of the pollsters perhaps are bikini wearing maidens that spit fire as they walk on stilts through raging campfires that got out of hand when she put too much lighter fluid in her mouth , or perhaps a drunken damsel from Tennessee that needs assistance getting onto her newly purchased camel from one of them oil countries, or maybe some part time wannabe circus performer that slipped through the gates of the circus and donned the uniform of a red nosed clown. The only person that saw all this was the dude sellin' peanuts at his roadside peanut stand, but since he was on the road with Joe Tex this occasion, nobody saw her put on the Ms. McDonald, as in Ronald, costume.

I'm not arguing with you. Like I said, come back when each team has played 20 games instead of 10 and see how it stacks up. IT will be more accurate then. The more games played and the more teams that have played other teams, the more data the system has to go off of.

Page beat Grimsley and Greensboro Day School and lost to Greensboro Smith by 3 in the championship game of the Haeco.

Page has lost quite a few really close games.
by 3 against a 9-2 West Caldwell
by 2 against a 11-1 Southern Guilford
by 1 against a 6-1 Fayetteville Westover
by 3 against a 9-2 Ben L Smith

Sitting at 6-6, Page seems like they may be able to be some kind of darkhorse in conference play and in the playoffs.
If all the Greensboro squads except Page should somehow squander in the upcoming playoffs, I'm hoping they forgo their individual colours and back Page.

Big game Wednesday in the MPC. Central Davidson travels to Asheboro. I've been curious about the Spartans ever since they beat both Randleman and Trinity by double-digits. It'll be real interesting to see if they can slow down Stanbeck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hon Dines
As far as Asheboro's scheduling goes.......

They're in a weird situation. The Comets are the only team in Randolph County that's 3A. Everyone else is 1A/2A (and in the same conference). Although I also would like to see them schedule some tougher opposition, I can see why they do what they do because they'll usually draw a good-sized crowd regardless of which RC team they go up against.

Yeah, the Comet opposition so far hasn't been the greatest. However, they've beaten a pretty good Randleman team twice by double-digits. Although ER is down from last year, that's still a good win for the Comets as well.

I'll see what's what Wednesday.....

Last edited:
Central's a fun team to watch. They've got five/six identical guards that are quick, can handle, and knock down a three when needed. They also have a Napoleon Dynamite look-alive named Devon Sigmon who's a good interior defender and can knock down a three as well. Point guard Eli Tysinger was impressive.

Luke Staten was the MVP of last night's game. That kid had ice in his veins. He hit two threes in OT over the outstretched arms of Stanback.

Fencing, amateur and professional , has taken off by leaps and bounds over the last few years, Mister Kidd. Word on the street says Sports Nutt Seventeen sold his house, packed up the VW van, gathered up some Byrds, Allmans, Dylan, and Otis Readding eight track tapes and headed for the tryout camp of the Lexington ( Kentucky ) Lungers professional fencing team, a member of the MILF league, the Midwest International League of Fencing.
First Allmans post in quite a long time. If I knew how to do those emojis things I would give you one.

As far as Asheboro's scheduling goes.......

They're in a weird situation. The Comets are the only team in Randolph County that's 3A. Everyone else is 1A/2A (and in the same conference). Although I also would like to see them schedule some tougher opposition, I can see why they do what they do because they'll usually draw a good-sized crowd regardless of which RC team they go up against.

Yeah, the Comet opposition so far hasn't been the greatest. However, they've beaten a pretty good Randleman team twice by double-digits. Although ER is down from last year, that's still a good win for the Comets as well.

I'll see what's what Wednesday.....
With all due respect, Mister Juke Box, and i love reading your posts and game reviews, but why not invite Dudley or Smith down, as both fan bases will pack their gym. Asheboro isn't required to play all the county teams, or they'd play Trinity and Wheatmore. They just have a different philosophy than most schools, as most schools like to play at least one " good " team so they'll know what their strengths and weaknesses are so they can be improved upon.
P.S. If Asheboro was in the Mid State conference, they'd finish fourth, at best, but probably fifth..
P.S.S....Asheboro is not in a " weird position, " but they love to play that card.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT