ADVERTISEMENT

Post 3rd round scores here!

East Surry 79 - Cherokee 76 Final

East Surry will have their hands full with Murphy/Avery winner. And I gotta disagree with you gdawg, East ain't much at all without Sutphin, she is amazing though.

Did you make the trip mbd?
I did, last minute deal or I would've gotten up with you. Hedged my bets that Murphy would handle Alleghany so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Sutphin is everything she's talked up to be and more, awesome player.

It was a great game and well worth the trip. Thought I made a big mistake after first quarter but lady Braves turned it around and really should have won it, rough first quarter did them in.

Credit to East Surry though, they showed the heart of a champion those last 30 seconds of regulation, they easily could have folded down 6 pts with 30 sec left but Sutphin willed them into overtime with some really big plays and took over in OT.

Last edited:
10 seed Ledford girls, go on the road for another 3+ hour trip and beat 2 seed Bertie 59-38. Ledford will have another 3 hour trip to Kinston, on Tuesday.

cherokee blew it....if that girl doesnt swing elbows....cherokee wins. Murphy will smash avery then east surry. Anyone know who won union academy vs graystone?

Reactions: uk-te-na
Vance County 52, Reidsville 47 -- end of third quarter

cherokee blew it....if that girl doesnt swing elbows....cherokee wins. Murphy will smash avery then east surry. Anyone know who won union academy vs graystone?
Union Academy 59 Graystone 54

Post loss syndrome much? I have always pulled for Cherokee in that conference and have a lot of respect for them but just because your girls blew a 6 point lead with under 30 seconds left doesn’t mean that Murphy will smash everyone. You saying Murphy is going to walk to the state finals is foolish.

Post loss syndrome much? I have always pulled for Cherokee in that conference and have a lot of respect for them but just because your girls blew a 6 point lead with under 30 seconds left doesn’t mean that Murphy will smash everyone. You saying Murphy is going to walk to the state finals is foolish.
Murphy will have their hands full with Avery, should be an excellent matchup. Toss up for me, wish it was at Murphy, homecourt may be the difference. Murphy girls are locked in right now though, probably playing their best ball and that's always important this time of year.

Agreed officiating was terrible both ways, let the game get very physical which was a big benefit to cherokee slowing down East post game. If not for that East would’ve continued to blow it out they were up 18-2 to strt the game.

East Lincoln wins by a comfortable margin and will face East Rutherford next week. Will be a good one

You will find out Tuesday.....why would i care that u pull for cherokee? hey guess what i never pull for avery lol....go murphy bring it back to smc!

Reactions: therealsquid
I actually thought murphy would smash everyone before cherokee loss...cherokee loss has nothing to do with that statement. Cherokee was very good and murphy smashed us 3 times and was honestly expecting a 4th loss if we played again in 5th round.

East Surry are still the favorites in my book but if Sutphin has an off night they won't beat Avery/Murphy winner imo.

Murphy is one of the few teams with enough size to contend with East. Murphy doesn't have quite the size that they had last year but they're more athletic this year. The freshman Rogers is 6'0 or 6'1 and is not a lumbering player, she can move and is a future star. Addison is 5'10 or 5'11 and is also a very fluid athlete and just a real all around player.

Last edited:
Sounds like sandbagging to me mbd...1st u say all they got is sutphin...but they are still the favorite? which is it? I agree with u....without sutphin they wouldnt be much. But hey bulls werent nothing without Jordan lol.

I think they will beat union academy but avery murphy winner will be a different story.

Sounds like sandbagging to me mbd...1st u say all they got is sutphin...but they are still the favorite? which is it? I agree with u....without sutphin they wouldnt be much. But hey bulls werent nothing without Jordan lol.
I didn't say she's all they got, just that they aren't near the team without her. Might be a 2nd round team with a good draw.

But they DO have her and 1 player can make a world of difference, especially at the 1A and 2A level, especially when they're as good as her. I mean if Murphy had Beckner on this year's team nobody touches them. How much better are Mount Airy with Jo Snow? really damn good, probably unbeaten to this point.

Cherokee probably never leads in the game, but East missed some shots around the basket they usually make, and missed 2 FTs. If they don’t miss those, Cherokee never takes the lead and ends up losing by 10 or so.

My bad mbd i translated your statement "they wouldn"t be much without her" as she is all they got. Goodluck the rest of the way!

North Stanly beats Lincoln Charter by 20. Both giants go down in Round 3.

North Stanly played really good. I don't think they missed a shot. LCS could not throw it in the ocean as North played Gabriel a Box and 1 all night and it was very effective as others couldn't make shots for LCS. If North shoots like they did tonight, not sure they can, they have a great shot at playing in Finals. Kid from North can play and spray it from everywhere on the court. Good luck to all teams in the Final 4 on West side.

North Stanly beats Lincoln Charter by 20. Both giants go down in Round 3.

North Stanly played really good. I don't think they missed a shot. LCS could not throw it in the ocean as North played Gabriel a Box and 1 all night and it was very effective as others couldn't make shots for LCS. If North shoots like they did tonight, not sure they can, they have a great shot at playing in Finals. Kid from North can play and spray it from everywhere on the court. Good luck to all teams in the Final 4 on West side.
They ran the box and 1 against Avery last year in the 3rd round on Deacon Heath. It was super effective and they didn't miss a shot (I've never seen a high school basketball team that unconscious from behind the arc). They blew us or by 30. What does the final eight look like in 1A boys? Haven't been keeping up with the men's side since Avery's boys didn't make the playoffs.

You will find out Tuesday.....why would i care that u pull for cherokee? hey guess what i never pull for avery lol....go murphy bring it back to smc!
I pull for WHC teams first and foremost and WNC teams after that. I fully understand you not pulling for Avery. I truly misstated that I pull for Cherokee as I pull for Asheville area teams over others. I'm glad that you are supporting a SMC team for the rest of their time in the tourney. I'm sorry that your girls lost. Hoping for a good game on Tuesday night.

Agreed officiating was terrible both ways, let the game get very physical which was a big benefit to cherokee slowing down East post game. If not for that East would’ve continued to blow it out they were up 18-2 to strt the game.
Nah man, the pressure them guards put on y’all was the difference. Not that the refs helped Cherokee. Y’all got the win. Take it with class. Act like you been there before.

East Surry are still the favorites in my book but if Sutphin has an off night they won't beat Avery/Murphy winner imo.

Murphy is one of the few teams with enough size to contend with East. Murphy doesn't have quite the size that they had last year but they're more athletic this year. The freshman Rogers is 6'0 or 6'1 and is not a lumbering player, she can move and is a future star. Addison is 5'10 or 5'11 and is also a very fluid athlete and just a real all around player.
I think Murphy and Avery deserve to go to final four. They have both played ma in last 2 final fours. I'm glad one of them will have another chance at state. Both teams wanted to beat ma. I know es is the favorite, and they have the best player. But these seniors for avery and Murphy are hungry for a state title. I am an Avery fan, but if Murphy beats us I want them to win it all.

Reactions: mbdfan
I think Murphy and Avery deserve to go to final four. They have both played ma in last 2 final fours. I'm glad one of them will have another chance at state. Both teams wanted to beat ma. I know es is the favorite, and they have the best player. But these seniors for avery and Murphy are hungry for a state title. I am an Avery fan, but if Murphy beats us I want them to win it all.
I know some Murphy fans think they are going to whip Avery. Imo this will be a competitive game from beginning to end. But I will agree that Murphy has played the best ball in the last month. We have lost few games in 4th quarter to a great mh team who has not even been tested in 2a playoffs yet. But an ugly win is a good win in playoffs. Survive and advance. Hughes has come off bench and played big minutes for avery last two games when our big girls have got in foul trouble. She is 5'11, and an excellent defender. I can't wait to see these senior backcourts go head to head. Also, Franklin and Addison head to head. Both super talented. Win or lose, I just hope for a good game from two great teams.

Reactions: mbdfan
I know some Murphy fans think they are going to whip Avery. Imo this will be a competitive game from beginning to end. But I will agree that Murphy has played the best ball in the last month. We have lost few games in 4th quarter to a great mh team who has not even been tested in 2a playoffs yet. But an ugly win is a good win in playoffs. Survive and advance. Hughes has come off bench and played big minutes for avery last two games when our big girls have got in foul trouble. She is 5'11, and an excellent defender. I can't wait to see these senior backcourts go head to head. Also, Franklin and Addison head to head. Both super talented. Win or lose, I just hope for a good game from two great teams.
I have nothing but respect for smc teams. They are competitive year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT