MW 1 - W8
MW4 - W5

MW3 - W6
MW2 - W7

W2 - MW7
W3 - MW6

W4 - MW5
W1 - MW8
no matter how it looks,side by side up ,down it belongs 2 mallard creek or butler check with d oddmakers

I'm sure they will be seeded 1-16, therefore, W1 vs MW 16 and E1 vs ME 16 and so on. (Playoffs teams will be seeded by 4 groups of 16 teams)

The NCHSAA said over the summer that they would post a template on their website detailing what the bracket would look like to use as a guideline. Last time I checked (a couple of weeks ago), the template still wasn't up.

Before seeing the template, it's really just a guess, since there's a few different ways it could be done.

Last edited:
I'm sure they will be seeded 1-16, therefore, W1 vs MW 16 and E1 vs ME 16 and so on. (Playoffs teams will be seeded by 4 groups of 16 teams)
Football has a different split than most sports this year. The NCHSAA is calling it "regional groups" this time around instead of the old pod system, but it's the exact same thing.

The 64 team 4A field will first be subdivided big and small (32 teams each), and then each subdivision divided into 4 pods containing 8 teams. Each pod is then seeded, and then the #1 seed in the East will play the #8 seed in the Mideast, and so forth and so on down the line. The #1 seed in the West will play the #8 seed in the Midwest, and so forth and so on down the line.

That's as far as the NCHSAA description gets, however, and the actual brackets could actually be arranged in several different ways from that point.

IMO, take the bracket arrangement that makes the absolute least sense, and that's the one the NCHSAA will go with.

Reactions: RD28327
Ither way teams will be seeded 1-16 W1 vs MW 16 and E1 vs ME 16 and so on. (Playoffs teams will be seeded by 4 groups of 16 teams) I know a couple of people @ the NCHSAA. Plus, it's in the new seeding process.

Ither way teams will be seeded 1-16 W1 vs MW 16 and E1 vs ME 16 and so on. (Playoffs teams will be seeded by 4 groups of 16 teams) I know a couple of people @ the NCHSAA. Plus, it's in the new seeding process.
Dude, that's not true at all. Here's a link to the competition section of this year's NCHSAA football handbook...

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Competition_1.pdf

The sections you're looking for 4.1.18 Seeding and 4.1.19 Bracketing. The subdivision information can be found in section 4.1.2 Classifications.

Dude, that's not true at all. Here's a link to the competition section of this year's NCHSAA football handbook...

https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/Competition_1.pdf

The sections you're looking for 4.1.18 Seeding and 4.1.19 Bracketing. The subdivision information can be in section 4.1.2 Classifications.

Seeding ª Once the 64 team have been determined • Divide into 4 groups of 16 based upon the longitude of the school › East, Mideast, Midwest, West ª Seeding • Seed all conference champions by 10- game record • Then, seed all at-large teams by 10-game record ª 1 East vs 16 Mideast, 1 West vs 16 Midwest, etc…..Just as BK posted...Now if this isn't correct, I will be the first to track you down and apologize to you.

Last edited:
Wow... this is over my head...We still got 3 reg. Season games to play... lol then I'll take a look see.

hows that template correct theres only 32 teams in each
championship bracket total, 16 on each side with each side
broken down into 2 groups of 8. that graph shows 32 teams
on each side, so a template using the pod set up could be whats in reply 1, although theres a couple ways to do it.

hows that template correct theres only 32 teams in each
championship bracket total, 16 on each side with each side
broken down into 2 groups of 8. that graph shows 32 teams
on each side, so a template using the pod set up could be whats in reply 1, although theres a couple ways to do it.

I posted this on another thread but it is like stated above.

Here is the seeding section from NCHSAA:

Seeding:
(a) Once the qualifying teams are determined, they will be divided into four (4) groups, (i.e. East, Mideast, Midwest, West) based upon the longitude of each school.
(b) Seed all first place, regular season conference champions by 10-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse) followed by;
(c) Conference tournament champions by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse), followed by;
(d) All other qualifying teams by 22-game winning percentage (10-game, football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling & Lacrosse)
(1) All ties for seeding in (a), (b) or (c) will be broken by:
(i) All Head-to-Head Competition Note: The non-conference game(s) that are dropped for seeding purposes may still be used in breaking a tie. Note: All teams involved in the tie must have played each other.
(ii) 24-game record (11-game, Football; All games, Tennis, Wrestling and Lacrosse) (iii) MaxPreps Ranking (last available ranking at the time of the seeding)
(iv) Draw
They get the qualifying teams. Split them between A and AA. Then split them by region (west, midwest, mideast, east) and then finally rank them between 1-8 for each region. Then it will be just like this:
1 MW vs 8W
4W vs MW5

2W vs MW7
3MW vs W6

1W vs MW8
4MW vs W5

2MW vs W7
3W vs MW6

Last edited:
Dude, it's exactly true and here are the Football rules for 2016-17 Playoffs.

Seeding ª Once the 64 team have been determined • Divide into 4 groups of 16 based upon the longitude of the school › East, Mideast, Midwest, West ª Seeding • Seed all conference champions by 10- game record • Then, seed all at-large teams by 10-game record ª 1 East vs 16 Mideast, 1 West vs 16 Midwest, etc…..Just as BK posted...Now if this isn't correct, I will be the first to track you down and apologize to you.
There's no need for an apology, but you didn't even post all of the relevant info...

4.1.2 Classifications: A, AA, AAA, AAAA for all sports except:
(a) Football for playoffs, classes are subdivided to 1-A and 1-AA, 2-A and 2-AA, 3-A and 3-AA, 4-A and 4-AA.

Football does NOT follow the guidelines that you've posted, period, which are for all other sports EXCEPT for football.

Do the math in your head, dude, and you'll quickly realize that what you've posted doesn't make sense and isn't even mathematically possible. How do you take a 64 team field, split into two 32 team subdivisions, and then split each 32 team subdivision into 4 regional groups and end up with 16 team pods? 64 / 2 / 4 does NOT equal 16. It never has and it never will.

I've already talked to the NCHSAA about this last week. They informed me of the following

Of the 4A schools they will pick the best 64, from that point the top 32 with the highest admissions will be classified as 4AA. Then bracket itself is set up as Midwest8 vs west 1
Midwest 1 vs west 8 and so on.

There's no need for an apology, but you didn't even post all of the relevant info...

4.1.2 Classifications: A, AA, AAA, AAAA for all sports except:
(a) Football for playoffs, classes are subdivided to 1-A and 1-AA, 2-A and 2-AA, 3-A and 3-AA, 4-A and 4-AA.

Football does NOT follow the guidelines that you've posted, period, which are for all other sports EXCEPT for football.

Do the math in your head, dude, and you'll quickly realize that what you've posted doesn't make sense and isn't even mathematically possible. How do you take a 64 team field, split into two 32 team subdivisions, and then split each 32 team subdivision into 4 regional groups and end up with 16 team pods? 64 / 2 / 4 does NOT equal 16. It never has and it never will.

Hokiemtc, I've found you and I'm apologizing. It's just that the NCHSAA didn't make it clear about how they would seed by numbers.

Last edited:
It's no biggie, I just like for the most up-to-date info to be out there for the world to see.

All sports except for football are very well documented right now. There are complete rules, bracket templates, etc, already in place, and I don't think anyone has any doubt as to what the process is and how it works.

Football, however, is still a shot in the dark for this season even though we're already 75% done with it. The NCHSAA has been very vague about this whole experimental playoff trial, and it's been VERY poorly documented so far, which is why there are threads popping up like this one on every board in the state wondering what the heck is going on. Seriously, NCHSAA...time to get your butts in gear.

It's no biggie, I just like for the most up-to-date info to be out there for the world to see.

All sports except for football are very well documented right now. There are complete rules, bracket templates, etc, already in place, and I don't think anyone has any doubt as to what the process is and how it works.

Football, however, is still a shot in the dark for this season even though we're already 75% done with it. The NCHSAA has been very vague about this whole experimental playoff trial, and it's been VERY poorly documented so far, which is why there are threads popping up like this one on every board in the state wondering what the heck is going on. Seriously, NCHSAA...time to get your butts in gear.

I agree 100%....As a Mallard Creek fan I really don't care because frankly it really just comes down to one game with one team in my opinion. However, for there to be this much confusion amongst people who actually know what they are talking about is unacceptable. Feels like because of that confusion there is going to be major issues in 4 weeks that could hamper the integrity of the entire system and some kids are going to get screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT