ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff ranking system

MaxPreps has them at 9'th...?

Robbinsville is 20th in the NCHSAA RPI rankings which will be used for the playoffs seedings. But if they play and win in remaining games they'll move up.
In conference 43 aka SMC with 6 teams 2 will be automatic qualifiers which are seeded first and if Robbinsville wins the conference they'll still probably get home field at least until the west championship if they make it that far.

Last edited:
Robbinsville is 20th in the NCHSAA RPI rankings which will be used for the playoffs seedings. But if they play and win in remaining games they'll move up.
In conference 43 aka SMC with 6 teams 2 will be automatic qualifiers which are seeded first and if Robbinsville wins the conference they'll still probably get home field at least until the west championship if they make it that far.

Unless I am reading this wrong, the conference champions get seeded first and then everyone else that qualifies gets seeded with the rest of the highest rated teams based on RPI. So just because you finish 2nd and automatically qualify, you still get seeded based on RPI.

Seeding
• Conference champions will be seeded before any other qualifying teams by RPI rating
• All other teams will be seeded after the conference champions by RPI rating of the school, regardless of conference finish
• Each region (East/West) will be seeded independently of one another, utilizing the RPI rating of the school

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
So why the change from the MaxPrep formula?

Probably because everyone complained they had no idea how MaxPreps formula works. Everyone would complain they would win but the team would drop in the rankings. Plus some said that the points scored/point spread was calculated in the MaxPreps rankings causing teams to score last minute touchdowns even if they were up by 20+ points.

“This marks the first time RPI ratings will be used by the NCHSAA for the purposes of seeding the state playoffs. The association has used power rankings from MaxPreps in the past, but some people expressed concern about the lack of transparency behind the MaxPreps formula.”
Thanks, I was never crazy about the algorism of the MaxPrep system anyway.

Reactions: strikerHHS
Probably because everyone complained they had no idea how MaxPreps formula works. Everyone would complain they would win but the team would drop in the rankings. Plus some said that the points scored/point spread was calculated in the MaxPreps rankings causing teams to score last minute touchdowns even if they were up by 20+ points.
part of an article in 2017 about using MaxPreps...
"there is one major issue – no one knows what the MaxPreps formula is. That means coaches don't know exactly what the criteria is and how much things are weighted in the formula. If you beat a team by five points, does it count the same as if you win by ten points? Are other statistics go into the formula?"
"Margin of victory will be used in the formula to generate the rankings, but MaxPreps does not encourage blowouts to help a team's rating. There is a point at which margins are no longer considered. We don't know what those specific margins are for each sport. If you look at the ratings, the difference between the two teams is roughly considered to be the predicted margin of victory. For example, a team with a rating of 80 should beat a team with a rating of 60 by 20 points."

Not surprising nchsaa decided to come up with their own formula.

RPI = (0.3 x WP) + (0.4 x OWP) + (0.3 x OOWP)
• Winning Percentage (WP): Divide the number of wins by the number of total games played. A tie is worth half a win. If a
win in an individual contest gives that contest a winning percentage of 1.00, a tie will give that individual contest a winning
percentage of .500 for both teams.
• Opponents’ Winning Percentage (OWP): Average the winning percentages of a team’s opponents. (Note: This is not
calculated via the opponents' combined record, instead of by averaging each winning percentage of the opponents.) All
games involving the team whose RPI is being calculated are ignored in this process.
• Opponents’ Opponents Winning Percentage (OOWP): The same process as described above, except calculated for the
opponents of a team’s opponents. (Note: There is an exception for out-of-state teams, which is addressed below.)
Out-of-State Opponents
Out-of-state opponents from the following states will be counted the same as in-state opponents provided they have a verified
MaxPreps account and schedule:
• Georgia
• South Carolina
• Tennessee
• Virginia
All other out-of-state opponents will be handled in the following manner:
• Their direct winning percentage (for example, .750) will count toward the formula, but each of their opponents will have a
.500 winning percentage assigned.
• The .500 figure was selected because it is the average value of opponents’ opponents winning percentages across all sports
in data gathered from the states using RPI, such as Colorado, Utah, and Washington.
• Note: It is the NCHSAA member school's responsibility to ensure that the data from their out-of-state opponent is correctly
listed on MaxPreps.

Unless I am reading this wrong, the conference champions get seeded first and then everyone else that qualifies gets seeded with the rest of the highest rated teams based on RPI. So just because you finish 2nd and automatically qualify, you still get seeded based on RPI.

Seeding
• Conference champions will be seeded before any other qualifying teams by RPI rating
• All other teams will be seeded after the conference champions by RPI rating of the school, regardless of conference finish
• Each region (East/West) will be seeded independently of one another, utilizing the RPI rating of the school
right, I didn't write that correctly. My point was it's still ( as long as the games are played) in Robbinsville hands if they win the conference they should still get home field advantage until the west championship if they make it that far and then it'll depend on who the other team is and their seeding.

Reactions: footballstar_17
Using computers is dumb. There needs to be no split conferences with 2 classes. Seed teams by how they finish in their conference. Then teams could play a harder non conference and not get punished for it.

Using computers is dumb. There needs to be no split conferences with 2 classes. Seed teams by how they finish in their conference. Then teams could play a harder non conference and not get punished for it.
As far as split conferences yes in a perfect world it would be preferable not to have any and if I remember correctly when the new conferences were announced last year one of the goals were to have less of them but where some schools are located it's really difficult not to have any.
With the new as far as that goes the old playoff formula does award teams on finishing first and in 6+ conferences second as automatic qualifiers but what happens you'll run into teams in different conferences with the exact same records then you need something as a tie breaker for qualifying and seeding. I'm not saying their new formula is the right one as far as that goes no matter what you come up with someone isn't going to like it but I personally prefer some kinda mathematical formula or a computer agorrhythm over something like a coach's poll or anything else that involves human bias the math or a computer doesn't care if your school has long history of championships etc just what you've done the here and now the same rules for every school.

As far as split conferences yes in a perfect world it would be preferable not to have any and if I remember correctly when the new conferences were announced last year one of the goals were to have less of them but where some schools are located it's really difficult not to have any.
With the new as far as that goes the old playoff formula does award teams on finishing first and in 6+ conferences second as automatic qualifiers but what happens you'll run into teams in different conferences with the exact same records then you need something as a tie breaker for qualifying and seeding. I'm not saying their new formula is the right one as far as that goes no matter what you come up with someone isn't going to like it but I personally prefer some kinda mathematical formula or a computer agorrhythm over something like a coach's poll or anything else that involves human bias the math or a computer doesn't care if your school has long history of championships etc just what you've done the here and now the same rules for every school.

agreed. the idea is to find the most objective way possible to compare teams.

Dang, looks like we’re gonna be spending thanksgiving weekend in Weldon lol

Can someone explain to me how Elkin is ranked above Mount Airy ?
The winning percentage of Elkins’ opponents is better than Mt. Airy’s.

And

The winning percentage of Elkins’ opponents opponents are better than Mt. Airy.

Look at the numbers… multiply them together and u get the RPI #.

It’s early… no worries…. Y’all will move up for sure.

Elkin will drop after Mount Airy and probably Starmount & Wilkes Central beats them. I had Questions on 1 or 2 more being ahead of Mount Airy but as you said they will move up. If this goes bad for the NCHSAA, look for the state to step in again. I have never heard of RPI ratings. Where did they come from ?
There are people on these boards that can explain this far better than I can.
I do know it’s brand new.

Reactions: thekidd12
So how does the process work for a team like Thomasville or N Rowan that are playing this week and the winner will be the top 1A team from the 1A/2A CCC in the 1A side. Does losing to defending state champion Salisbury penalize the 1A teams since Salisbury will obviously win the conference as a 2A team. No 1A team in the West or East can beat Salisbury right now so does the teams in a non-split league get a better seed or deal for being in an all 1A league? Curious?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Elkin will drop after Mount Airy and probably Starmount & Wilkes Central beats them. I had Questions on 1 or 2 more being ahead of Mount Airy but as you said they will move up. If this goes bad for the NCHSAA, look for the state to step in again. I have never heard of RPI ratings. Where did they come from ?

RPI is prominent in college basketball. It’s a major piece in determining selection/seeding for March Madness.

So how does the process work for a team like Thomasville or N Rowan that are playing this week and the winner will be the top 1A team from the 1A/2A CCC in the 1A side. Does losing to defending state champion Salisbury penalize the 1A teams since Salisbury will obviously win the conference as a 2A team. No 1A team in the West or East can beat Salisbury right now so does the teams in a non-split league get a better seed or deal for being in an all 1A league? Curious?

All conference champions will be seeded first (RPI rankings will determine the order). The rest of the bracket will then be filled out based on RPI rankings.

Just like in past years, the highest ranked 1A team in a split 2A/1A conference will be designated as a conf champion and seeded accordingly among that group.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Simply put… for me at least… it’s

Your record, your opponents record and your opponents opponents record!

I would think a loss to Salisbury would be ok….because Salisbury’s record will be very good…which counts under your opponents record!

Can someone explain to me how Elkin is ranked above Mount Airy ?
(1) Well you have their winning average ×.3
(2) then their opponents average minus the game played with team (1) ×.4
(3)then their opponents opponents ×.3

Elkin 2-1 (.667 ×.3=.2001)
opponents ( .750 ×.4 = .3)
opponents-opponents (. 648 ×.3 = .1944) .2001 + .3 + .1944 = .695 RPI

MA 4-0 ( 1× .3 = .3)
opp ( .458 × .4 = .1832)
opp - opp ( .583 × .3 = .1749)
.3 + .1832 + .1749 = .658 RPI

I assume their trying to work in strength of schedule.

one thing I don't understand is were the multiplication of the .3 and .4 comes from.

Last edited:
Well you have their winning average ×.3
then their opponents average ×.4
then their opponents opponents ×.3

Elkin 2-1 (.667 ×.3=.2001)
opponents ( .750 ×.4 = .3)
opponents-opponents (. 648 ×.3 = .1944) .2001 + .3 + .1944 = .695 RPI

MA 4-0 ( 1× .3 = .3)
opp ( .458 × .4 = .1832)
opp - opp ( .583 × .3 = .1749)
.3 + .1832 + .1749 = .658 RPI

I assume their trying to work in strength of schedule.

one thing I don't understand one is were the multiplication of the .3 and .4 comes from.
My bet is the NCHSAA can't explain it. LOL

I noticed that the RPI formula is used by other states but with one difference states like CO also figure in classification match ups like 3A playing 2A. Each classification has a value system like 2A 1.5210 and 3A 1.7491 the larger schools get two exemptions like a 3A playing two 2A schools if they win counts the same as beating another 3A but any after that doesn't a third 2A opponents value will be 1.5210 not 1.7491 which won't add as much to their RPI and if even in one of the exemption games if they play two classes down to a 1A it will only count as playing a 2A.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
"One thing I don't understand one is were the multiplication of the .3 and .4 comes from"

From there a**es
Reading more about it kinda get it now its putting more importance percentage wise on different parts of the schedule, some states like Utah are based 45% on winning percentage, 45% on opponents’ winning percentage and 10% on opponents’ opponents winning percentage.
and others like CO is like NC using 30% , 40% and 30%. The most common used it 25% ,50% ,25%, with a higher percentage on opponents which relates to strength of schedule. But several states seems to use a variation of the RPI rating for high school rankings and playoffs. The NCAA division 1 uses it for basketball, baseball, softball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, and volleyball for their rankings.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT