ADVERTISEMENT

Pisgah at Oak Grove

Based on what I have seen Oak Grove is no joke. Being something like 9-1 in the area they play is difficult to achieve with the great teams in the WS area.

Reactions: Drifter955
Wishing y’all safe travels to and from The Grove next Friday! Looks to be a good game, however I’m hoping the Grizzlies move on to round three!

Regardless, wanting an injury free game for both teams.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Based on what I have seen Oak Grove is no joke. Being something like 9-1 in the area they play is difficult to achieve with the great teams in the WS area.
Oak Grove only played one solid program in the WS area and that’s where that loss came from.

Reactions: Crestuff
I expect it to be a good game. Hoping for an OG win and more history made at this new school. I think Pisgah has the upper hand in experience and a conference rich in playoff tradition but I believe in OG as a school not to be taken lightly. As for not playing any solid programs…..ehhh maybe but West Forsyth had their hands full with OG this year although they gave up some points at the end of the game it was a close game.

OG is well coached and have built a good program in their less than a decade existence. They got five wins with sophomores and juniors the first year and won conference the very next year before a first round nightmare revenge game against ND in their second varsity season. They have yet to score a landmark playoff win but seem ready to take the next step of having a somewhat deep run. They have been by far the most impressive team in the MPC since realignment. They have fantastic line play, are well coached and a fundamentally sound, physical football team. They don't have overwhelming team speed but unless playing a Dudley or Crest they aren't slow either. First year coach and longtime assistant Rob Creason has a nice feather in the cap his first season as the head man.

Their lone loss was to West Forsyth (a respectable showing against a far larger school that also benefits from open enrollment) and they vaporized everyone else even on off nights. Perhaps the only thing working against them is that the conference is terrible and they havent faced a real team since the beginning of the year. Ledford and Central are OK but not great by any stretch. Central has offense but no D. Ledford beat literally nobody with a pulse this year. ND has off the field and on the field problems from top to bottom quite literally and the worst two year stretch in school history in three decades to go along with a mid-season firing/forced resignation of the head man that was ironically looking for greener pastures lately. Asheboro and Montgomery Central aren't even worth discussing.

I know next to zero about Pisgah this year but I know they have a proud history and that them mountain boys love physical football. No matter what happens or what the score is I expect a hard hitting game. Pulling for OG now as the coach was a younger teammate in my playing days. Some ND fans balk at this but I have no reason to hate OG. Their district includes where I grew up now in Arcadia and their coaches have been nothing but walk the walk, unlike ours who talk like pro wrestlers but lack any sort of substance whatsoever in recent memory, especially the clown in charge of defense.

That West Forsyth game was winnable for OG. They made a costly mistake that turned that game in the last 5 minutes.

OG has a solid defense and a strong run game. Their passing game can be really hit or miss. If Pisgah is down from their normal, I expect OG to win this one, but OG also tends to start slow, which can be fatal this time of year

Turnovers for OG may be key as well. I’ve seen more turnovers from them this year than all the past years combined. Very hopeful if they play as they have been and control the turnovers they win by 10 (they have a great kicker). They fumble the ball or have an interception Pisgah by 14. JMO!

Turnovers for OG may be key as well. I’ve seen more turnovers from them this year than all the past years combined. Very hopeful if they play as they have been and control the turnovers they win by 10 (they have a great kicker). They fumble the ball or have an interception Pisgah by 14. JMO!
I could see that. That pitch on the option looks absolutely disastrous half of the time. Fielding punts look dicey as well.

I’m not an expert and may be wrong but to me it looks like the QB has been pitching high and behind the RB on the option, and also waiting too long to make the pitch; both of which make it dicey and more difficult on the RB than need be.

Another observation is he frequently throws on the move even when he has time to stop and setup to make the pass; I feel this causes a lot of his over/errant throws. I understand that may be the design, but if you can’t make the throws on the move maybe re-evaluate and adjust (I’ve noted the same with their JV QB this season). That said, I’m not trying to badmouth him, he is solid (and very fast-a threat when he tucks and runs) and he puts the team in a position to win. I just think he could be more accurate if he sets his feet.

While I love the coaching staff and the relationships and accountability they build with the young men, I wish they would work on and implement the passing game a bit more. I think they’ve got a strong arm (both levels) and guys with good hands to make it work, unless there is something I’ve not seen (is it something like the QBs not being capable of going through their progressions and only throwing to the 1st read or just that running is the name of the game, IDK?). I’m sure that the coaches have more experience than me but it’s something I would like the see, especially to help the QB and pass catchers with potential next level play/recruiting.

Irregardless, I’m expecting a great game this week against a solid Pisgah team, a team with a strong history so I’m told. I’m hoping for an OG win and a trip to the next round, but we can’t look past this game, our D needs to stay strong and O needs to wake up a bit earlier in the game.

Either way, safe travels to Pisgah and an injury free game to both sides.

Last edited:
Please don’t take my last post as a knock on the coaching staff or the QBs.

The coaches do a great job and the culture/atmosphere is great there. They teach football and life lessons to the players. My son loves playing for them! The team is consistently in a position to win under their leadership. I’m just making observations while not knowing everything. The coaches really are great!

The QBs do a good job of leading the team and keeping the team in a position to win as well. I’m sure they can do everything a QB needs to be able to, I’m just chatting on a message board here, lol.

They need to make an executive decision about the pitch play. That play has had led to fumbles quite a few times this year and Friday was the worst. I do not trust this team to execute that anymore and the staff shouldn't either. In theory, the offense can’t be much worse than it was friday, because despite the score, it was an ugly ugly game ( defense was great for. OG)

Only thing I saw from pisgah …. The only game I saw of them this year is a kicker .. if they can get him to the 40 he’s good . Kid nailed a 50 yarder against west Hendo. I personally think this year’s version of the Bears is not as good as years past but they were also playing a very good west Hendo team… sooo

Reactions: SCRballer
Only thing I saw from pisgah …. The only game I saw of them this year is a kicker .. if they can get him to the 40 he’s good . Kid nailed a 50 yarder against west Hendo. I personally think this year’s version of the Bears is not as good as years past but they were also playing a very good west Hendo team… sooo
I think I would agree in some aspects, it’s not one of the best teams to come through Canton in a while. Mostly because of consistency. I will say that West was probably our 3rd worst game of the year (credit west for a lot of that) this has been an enjoyable bunch to watch. Most of them return next year so it’s relatively Junior, Sophomore heavy but they will lose a couple of guys that they will miss next year but relatively speaking they should be better in theory next year. However, I still think the current group has yet to put together a full game. Friday would be a good time for that to happen. They have flashes of looking really good but then go through lulls that they just look lethargic (see Tuscola game and 2nd half of WH game). Although I do think WH beats us 8 out of 10 times anyway. You’ve been able to tell which team shows up with this squad pretty much from the opening drives so it won’t take long to figure out if we have come to fight or lay down.
Also question for anyone from Oak Grove and or a team in conference or that played there. Still natural turf? Looks/looked like real grass in google maps view of the school? If so could be a factor I don’t think Pisgah has had a game this year that wasn’t turf. Thanks for the info and it could be an old picture or my eyes deceiving me.

I think I would agree in some aspects, it’s not one of the best teams to come through Canton in a while. Mostly because of consistency. I will say that West was probably our 3rd worst game of the year (credit west for a lot of that) this has been an enjoyable bunch to watch. Most of them return next year so it’s relatively Junior, Sophomore heavy but they will lose a couple of guys that they will miss next year but relatively speaking they should be better in theory next year. However, I still think the current group has yet to put together a full game. Friday would be a good time for that to happen. They have flashes of looking really good but then go through lulls that they just look lethargic (see Tuscola game and 2nd half of WH game). Although I do think WH beats us 8 out of 10 times anyway. You’ve been able to tell which team shows up with this squad pretty much from the opening drives so it won’t take long to figure out if we have come to fight or lay down.
Also question for anyone from Oak Grove and or a team in conference or that played there. Still natural turf? Looks/looked like real grass in google maps view of the school? If so could be a factor I don’t think Pisgah has had a game this year that wasn’t turf. Thanks for the info and it could be an old picture or my eyes deceiving me.
You know that actually answers some of the questions I was asking myself while watching them … now I’m NO expert on Pisgah football but it didn’t look like a normal Pisgah team (I catch at least 1 game a year ) they didn’t look like a team of grown ass men like normal… they looked quite small and I was wandering if they were playing a lot of younger guys… if so hopefully the future is bright for the Bears

For the Pisgah folks, that tall WR, just how tall is he? I was hoping to see a ball lobbed up to him in the End Zone once or twice.

For the Pisgah folks, that tall WR, just how tall is he? I was hoping to see a ball lobbed up to him in the End Zone once or twice.
He’s listed at 6’9”, I believe. They tried to get him in for a TD against East but the much smaller DB climbed him like a tree and took pass interference. 🤣

He sticks out on the field.

If you’ve ever listened to Pisgah on the radio, his dad is the voice you hear most.

Reactions: heelzfor2

OG's field is still grass. It looks to be in really good shape for this late in the year.

Reactions: beamer24
You know that actually answers some of the questions I was asking myself while watching them … now I’m NO expert on Pisgah football but it didn’t look like a normal Pisgah team (I catch at least 1 game a year ) they didn’t look like a team of grown ass men like normal… they looked quite small and I was wandering if they were playing a lot of younger guys… if so hopefully the future is bright for the Bears
Yeah actually our skill position guys are a pretty talented group. Don’t really have a guy that presents you a match up problem like it seems we have had one of for the past several years but we do have four solid Wrs and some backs that present good change of pace. The question on this team is the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Certainly not the biggest kids we have ever had and they have battled some injuries throughout the year. I know it’s the case in most football games but the two games Pisgah lost this year they lost at the line of scrimmage. Especially on the offensive side. They are mostly healthy right now to my knowledge and I think they have improved as the year went on, but imo the matchup to watch in this game is Pisgahs O-Line vs OG’s front 7. If Pisgahs O-line holds their own I like our chances. The D has for the most part minus a little 1 3/4 game hiccup been pretty solid and I think can keep Pisgah respectable. Just a matter if the Offense can get enough points on the board.
But it’s playoff time and I could be totally wrong it’s hard in games like this to have any idea what may happen. Most people from OG haven’t seen Pisgah and most of us (including me) know little to nothing about OG other than records. All about the matchups. I am going to say I think this will be a really good matchup and I look for it to be one of the best 2nd round matchups.

Wonder what they’ll do with that $250,000 that their state legislator gave them that they didn’t ask for…you know, our tax money?
Hopefully NOT put in turf (more the $250k anyway I’m sure)! I understand it’s easier to upkeep and is “prettier/brighter” but I prefer the look (even now when it’s getting colder/dormant) and reduced likelihood of injury to the players of grass.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Probly send it to Ukraine with the rest of our money.. 🤷‍♂️
I hope so. Imagine getting to test your equipment out on a modern battlefield without endangering the life of a single US soldier, all while destroying the biggest part of our old adversaries military might in Europe. Not to mention crippling their economy as well. We couldn't dream of a better scenario to protect the NATO countries in the Baltics and it all comes for the bargain price of around 20% of our annual defense budget. Our biggest failing is not getting Ukraine the Abrams tanks and F-16s they need much, much sooner. We can only dream of what a leader like Reagan or papa Bush would have made of this opportunity.

I hope so. Imagine getting to test your equipment out on a modern battlefield without endangering the life of a single US soldier, all while destroying the biggest part of our old adversaries military might in Europe. Not to mention crippling their economy as well. We couldn't dream of a better scenario to protect the NATO countries in the Baltics and it all comes for the bargain price of around 20% of our annual defense budget. Our biggest failing is not getting Ukraine the Abrams tanks and F-16s they need much, much sooner. We can only dream of what a leader like Reagan or papa Bush would have made of this opportunity.
That’s easy. It wouldn’t have happened under them . Oh and Ukraine and nato are not winning.

• Haha
Reactions: skillylander
The NF high school network has several Oak Grove games. They are big on both sides of the ball. Don't seem to throw a lot but they can if they have to. Very few players go both ways. Not a fast as some teams we have played .If Bears don't make mistakes and can control the clock with long drives they can win .Bears by 7.

OG's kicker (#81 Aiden Daugherty) hit one from 49 earlier this year. He's pretty accurate from the 40 as well. They may be tit for tat on that part of the game. If it came to the wire on the kicker I think either could win the game.

Reactions: Drifter955
Yes still natural turf!

Reactions: 91ths
Yes, I’ve preferred natural especially when it is well taken care of. Diving or being tackled on our field back in the day or Asheville’s felt like going onto a mattress.

I have always liked natural turf over artificial. Jmo
Totally agree i do as well as long as it’s manicured well and taken care of and it looks as if OG’s is. Actually before the days of turf I felt like most schools were. I can remember a few cow pastures, and I’m not talking late in the year from wear and tear. But I much preferred it also, and when I was in school never appreciated some of the old volunteers that kept ours looking good. It was a full time job and I honestly think that’s why most have went to turf, no many people going to volunteer the time it takes to keep it up on a weekly basis anymore. I was really just pointing out I don’t think this Pisgah team has played natural grass all year. Shouldn’t be that big of a deal I’m sure they all have at some point when they were younger, but they are calling for some weather Friday. So I’m sure Coach will get the guys out on the field as early as possible to get the feel for the footing and change some shoes up if they have too.

That’s easy. It wouldn’t have happened under them . Oh and Ukraine and nato are not winning.
Either you're listening to the Russian propaganda spewed by some of the clowns in congress about whats happening on the ground over there or you're being willfully ignorant. (probably a little of both) But you are correct that this isn't the place for that discussion. I'd be happy to educate you on the subject whenever you're ready to talk about it outside of this forum. Just say the word.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT