ADVERTISEMENT

Page's Top Prospect Transfers to Dudley High

Page top recruit 6-5 285 pound Rising Sophomore Jr. Saunders who has offers from NC State and Virginia Tech transferred to Woodberry forest. He reclassified to the class of 2027 also and I expect him to be a top 100 player nationally in his class. He was dominant in the trenches as a freshman last season.

Hits keep come on coming

Reactions: New3ra
Page top recruit 6-5 285 pound Rising Sophomore Jr. Saunders who has offers from NC State and Virginia Tech transferred to Woodberry forest. He reclassified to the class of 2027 also and I expect him to be a top 100 player nationally in his class. He was dominant in the trenches as a freshman last season.
From what I've heard, this is just his adoptive parents sending him to the same all boys school where they sent their other kids. Just a tough break for Page. I think it's more of wanting a change of environment for the kid. Which just highlights even more that we cannot wait for the new Page High to be built.

Last edited:
Unpopular HS Football opinion. Jared Rolfes was better for Page Football than Doug Robertson! Robertson comes in and ushers in the Grimsley era in Greensboro. Lets take a walk down memory lane. East Forsyth beats Grimsley and Grimsley loses every single person on offense and their JV was just a bit above average. Page fires Jared Rolfes after he was the winningest coach in the Metro Conference over those 3 years. (I don't care if you think those players would've won with anyone) When Page fires Rolfes I heard that Robertson came in and told his bigtime D1 QB he was going to have to move and play safety on defense. Page also failed to hire Ethan Albright as their AD. When they told the QB he was moving to Safety he transferred to Grimsley and half of Greensboro went with him because they knew the defense was returning everyone.

Grimlsey hires Albright, and Alonza Barnett leads Grimsley to the State Championship. With that happen more D1 talent moves in and in 4 years Grimsley is the team to beat and Page is as average as they have been in 20 years.

Unpopular HS Football opinion. Jared Rolfes was better for Page Football than Doug Robertson! Robertson comes in and ushers in the Grimsley era in Greensboro. Lets take a walk down memory lane. East Forsyth beats Grimsley and Grimsley loses every single person on offense and their JV was just a bit above average. Page fires Jared Rolfes after he was the winningest coach in the Metro Conference over those 3 years. (I don't care if you think those players would've won with anyone) When Page fires Rolfes I heard that Robertson came in and told his bigtime D1 QB he was going to have to move and play safety on defense. Page also failed to hire Ethan Albright as their AD. When they told the QB he was moving to Safety he transferred to Grimsley and half of Greensboro went with him because they knew the defense was returning everyone.

Grimlsey hires Albright, and Alonza Barnett leads Grimsley to the State Championship. With that happen more D1 talent moves in and in 4 years Grimsley is the team to beat and Page is as average as they have been in 20 years.
No dog in the fight but he did take over a 14-2 team that beat Dudley and left them at 3-9 getting blow out by Dudley.

Dang no one sticking around for page

i think the hiring of Albright has more to do with it than coach Rolfes being better than Robertson….Robertson has won everywhere he has been except page and still has won there just not to there expectations….just my 2 cents

Dang no one sticking around for page

i think the hiring of Albright has more to do with it than coach Rolfes being better than Robertson….Robertson has won everywhere he has been except page and still has won there just not to there expectations….just my 2 cents

Yeah that eastern guilford job was masterful. Eastern guilford was a top 2 or 3 team in guilford county for a time

Reactions: BlackKnightNut

The unpopular opinion is unpopular for a reason.

Rolfes took a great program built by Gillespie and ran it into the ground. We saw it with our own eyes, week in and week out (Especially in year 2). It happened over a 3 year period. He inherited a great team and didn't really do much to keep it sustained or heck, even build upon it. Ultimately, he was unable to develop a talented quarterback in Javondre Paige and played favorites with a few of the guys on the team, and left everyone else out to dry, which is why the effort and willingness to play for him was not there by a majority of the kids on the team. This was extremely evident after a while especially in his last year. It wasn't hard to be the winningest coach in the Metro at that time, because mostly everyone else was sorry. Robertson didn't tell the D1 QB (Barnett) that he had to move and play safety, he told him that he would like his top athlete to help out the team and play some at safety in certain situations. Where are you getting this crap that they wanted him to change positions and only play Safety???? To me and I think every other fan on these boards would tell you that 99% of kids would love to do anything it takes to help the team win, especially when you're in a rebuilding process (which Page was because Rolfes screwed everything up). A kid packing it up and transferring in this situation is selfish imo. But it is what it is, he only wanted to play QB. I know other kids who played QB for Page also helped out on defense.. James Summers for example (anyone remember that monster INT he mossed over Ferguson in the endzone against Butler en route to the 4AA State Title?)

Everyone knows that Page had a very very small chance of hiring Albright as the AD. Grimsley hired Albright before Page even started the hiring process for the AD spot. Even if the timing was better, there is no shot he turns down the Grimsley job over the Page job, Grimsley is his alma mater.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, Barnett's father came to a Page game late last season, and we talked to him about it. They didn't want Alonza playing both sides of the ball, they only wanted him playing QB, so they moved. It wasn't because Robertson wanted to move him solely to Safety. That's fabricated nonsense.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
The unpopular opinion is unpopular for a reason.

Rolfes took a great program built by Gillespie and ran it into the ground. We saw it with our own eyes, week in and week out (Especially in year 2). It happened over a 3 year period. He inherited a great team and didn't really do much to keep it sustained or heck, even build upon it. Ultimately, he was unable to develop a talented quarterback in Javondre Paige and played favorites with a few of the guys on the team, and left everyone else out to dry, which is why the effort and willingness to play for him was not there by a majority of the kids on the team. This was extremely evident after a while especially in his last year. It wasn't hard to be the winningest coach in the Metro at that time, because mostly everyone else was sorry. Robertson didn't tell the D1 QB (Barnett) that he had to move and play safety, he told him that he would like his top athlete to help out the team and play some at safety in certain situations. Where are you getting this crap that they wanted him to change positions and only play Safety???? To me and I think every other fan on these boards would tell you that 99% of kids would love to do anything it takes to help the team win, especially when you're in a rebuilding process (which Page was because Rolfes screwed everything up). A kid packing it up and transferring in this situation is selfish imo. But it is what it is, he only wanted to play QB. I know other kids who played QB for Page also helped out on defense.. James Summers for example (anyone remember that monster INT he mossed over Ferguson in the endzone against Butler en route to the 4AA State Title?)

Everyone knows that Page had a very very small chance of hiring Albright as the AD. Grimsley hired Albright before Page even started the hiring process for the AD spot. Even if the timing was better, there is no shot he turns down the Grimsley job over the Page job, Grimsley is his alma mater.
Did you not read anything i wrote? Rolfes had a bad yr in yr 3 because all his talent was sophomores. If you Page fans would have given him some time with Alonza he would have been right there competing for a State Championship. If you would have given him as much time as you've given Robertson he might have showed you. Just like I said Robertson comes in and tells the D1 QB you're playing safety too?!? This is 4A football not 2a Reidsville. Your QB could have his career taken from him if he gets a shoulder injury trying to tackle someone like Ahmani Marshall from East Forsyth or Quan Nora from Grimsley.

You can sit there and say he wasn't the right guy for the job and maybe he wasn't but he didn't have D1 players leaving for Grimsley and Dudley. How many more .500 seasons and how many more D1 players need to leave before you Page fans think maybe we got this one wrong too? 🤔

Just to clarify, Barnett's father came to a Page game late last season, and we talked to him about it. They didn't want Alonza playing both sides of the ball, they only wanted him playing QB, so they moved. It wasn't because Robertson wanted to move him solely to Safety. That's fabricated nonsense.
So he did tell him he had to play safety? Someone tell him this is 4A football not 2A.

Did you not read anything i wrote? Rolfes had a bad yr in yr 3 because all his talent was sophomores. If you Page fans would have given him some time with Alonza he would have been right there competing for a State Championship. If you would have given him as much time as you've given Robertson he might have showed you. Just like I said Robertson comes in and tells the D1 QB you're playing safety too?!? This is 4A football not 2a Reidsville. Your QB could have his career taken from him if he gets a shoulder injury trying to tackle someone like Ahmani Marshall from East Forsyth or Quan Nora from Grimsley.

You can sit there and say he wasn't the right guy for the job and maybe he wasn't but he didn't have D1 players leaving for Grimsley and Dudley. How many more .500 seasons and how many more D1 players need to leave before you Page fans think maybe we got this one wrong too? 🤔
We (reidsville) never have our qb playing both ways

• Haha
Reactions: Warhead1
Just saw this tid bit of news..
Norman Weeks is coaching his last game of HS Football in the 2023 East/West All-Star game.
He was the defensive coordinator under Gillespie at Page for many years, and was the defensive coordinator at Grimsley for the past 3.
We wish him well.
Those are big shoes to fill.

Just saw this tid bit of news..
Norman Weeks is coaching his last game of HS Football in the 2023 East/West All-Star game.
He was the defensive coordinator under Gillespie at Page for many years, and was the defensive coordinator at Grimsley for the past 3.
We wish him well.
Those are big shoes to fill.
Norman’s swan song for coaching. A fine teacher in the classroom and on the field.

Reactions: PagePirates44
So he did tell him he had to play safety? Someone tell him this is 4A football not 2A.
Man, give it a break or give him a call. I'm sure a shrine bowl coach would love to hear your opinion on the matter. Or, better idea, don't believe everything you hear. You think Eastern Guilford players played one way when Coach Robertson was there lol? Not a chance. And, that led them all the way to competing for a state championship. Some programs don't have that luxury to pick from a ton of guys. Bryant Barr (starting QB for EG at the time and went on to play college football) played DB too and actually reeled in the game-winning pick against Western Alamance to help clinch the conference championship that year. Why? Because he was an all-around athlete and willingly wanted to better his team. It paid off. Jarius Morehead is another two-way player who went on to play for State. If you don't think that the best 11 should be on the field then that's doing a disservice to your program. And, I hate that kids suffer injuries I really do but it's a high-contact sport and injuries can happen at any given point (even at QB) so let's not use that as an excuse.

You can sit there and say he wasn't the right guy for the job and maybe he wasn't but he didn't have D1 players leaving for Grimsley and Dudley. How many more .500 seasons and how many more D1 players need to leave before you Page fans think maybe we got this one wrong too?

No dog in this fight, however, saying that the D1 qb could possibly get hurt making a tackle and this is not 2a reidsville its 4a football is kind of ironic considering he transferred to Grimsley who's previous QB also started in the defensive secondary....

I respect @Warhead1 but in this certain topic of conversation, he is just off base. I understand that Rolfes was a coach at NW Guilford and whatever, but that doesn't mean you can twist it so he seemed like a success at Page. He just wasn't a good fit.

While Robertson is a good fit (even with his so called shortcomings). We see the type of effort the kids give for Doug on a weekly (and daily) basis. If things keep going on the same trajectory, and the assistant coaching staff isn't solidified and some continuity isn't established fairly quickly (going into next year), then I can see the temperature increasing on his seat. Page should be fairly strong going into year 4 of a rebuild. But because so many coaches have left the building recently, its probably another year around .500 --- this isn't acceptable. We expect greatness. We will see how it goes. Given the fact that the school is being rebuilt soon, and we are installing a turf field as we speak. Page should turn things around, and I hope Coach Rob is here for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warhead1
I respect @Warhead1 but in this certain topic of conversation, he is just off base. I understand that Rolfes was a coach at NW Guilford and whatever, but that doesn't mean you can twist it so he seemed like a success at Page. He just wasn't a good fit.

While Robertson is a good fit (even with his so called shortcomings). We see the type of effort the kids give for Doug on a weekly (and daily) basis. If things keep going on the same trajectory, and the assistant coaching staff isn't solidified and some continuity isn't established fairly quickly (going into next year), then I can see the temperature increasing on his seat. Page should be fairly strong going into year 4 of a rebuild. But because so many coaches have left the building recently, its probably another year around .500 --- this isn't acceptable. We expect greatness. We will see how it goes. Given the fact that the school is being rebuilt soon, and we are installing a turf field as we speak. Page should turn things around, and I hope Coach Rob is here for it.
He’s a keeper.

I've said this before to people and i'll say it again. I could be wrong but from knowing a lot of the folks involved in that first year of coach Robertson at Page, i honestly believe the issue was that Coach Robertson brings that no nonsense approach and no player or parent was going to have a say so in how he ran his team and although i think Rolfes is also a great guy, I dont believe they were ready to go from the way he ran the team to the way Robertson does. the QB playing both ways was just an excuse. His previous qb might have played 3 total snaps on defense over the two years he spent in Thomasville and they were all in desperate hailmary type situations. Then they transferred to a team whos previous year qb was also the starting cornerback? lol now i can't attest to whats going on over at page now with the transfers and the coaches leaving but i strongly feel that was the case in year one.

Hmm. Is it that way in Guilford? In CMS the athlete would lose eligibility. Once you declare a sports school in CMS in 9th grade that's your school for sports unless you have another home school. If you go magnet in 9th grade you have to sit out 365 if you go to any other magnet school. The only way to change is to "move" and establish another home school. magnet to magnet or home to magnet after 9th grade is auto 365. That's why guys moved so much in CMS, and why magnet schools (WC, NM, POB, EM) lose so many kids to their home schools after 9th or 10th grade.
Totally inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t put much stock into folks who don’t really know much about Guilford County Football those schools are way outta order

Reactions: New3ra
I think what he's saying is this guy looks like or sounds like he could have been reading this off of a MaxPreps roster. Dudley being Dudley grimsley returning everybody but the quarterback but we know they're going to be okay there. Stuff like that. Who is listening to this anyway.

I think what he's saying is this guy looks like or sounds like he could have been reading this off of a MaxPreps roster. Dudley being Dudley grimsley returning everybody but the quarterback but we know they're going to be okay there. Stuff like that. Who is listening to this anyway.
I know that one of the guys didn’t seem to really know much about Guilford and the other seemed like he knew a little more. Just conversation at the end of the day.

Reactions: tarheel fan1
What do you think those guys got wrong? Just curious.
His list is terrible tbh! Smith should be higher than HPC, Southern should be below Northern and SW. If he really knew what he was talking about SW should be 4th this year. That alone let me know he doesn’t know what he’s talking about and Eastern shouldn’t be ranked top 5 this year.

Let’s rearrange the list!

Grimsley
Northwest
Dudley
Southwest
Northern
Eastern
Page
Smith
Ragsdale
HP Andrews
Southeast
HPC
Northeast
Western
Southern

Let’s rearrange the list!

Grimsley
Northwest
Dudley
Southwest
Northern
Eastern
Page
Smith
Ragsdale
HP Andrews
Southeast
HPC
Northeast
Western
Southern
Northwest is not better than Dudley this year. Player for player they’re just as loaded as Grimsley now and I wouldn’t put Southeast that much lower than Smith. Smith Defense will be good but their offense will need a lot of work.

Reactions: reddawg01
NW is explosive on Offense, Dudley doesn’t have the same defense from the State championship team! It starts up front. And Southeast graduated 22 seniors who contributed I’d say they’re in a tough spot!

NW is explosive on Offense, Dudley doesn’t have the same defense from the State championship team! It starts up front. And Southeast graduated 22 seniors who contributed I’d say they’re in a tough spot!
Yeah it’s clear you don’t know what they have. NW is good but Dudley was just young last year. He had the top 3 right but that’s it.

Last edited:
Yeah you must not know what they have. NW is good but Dudley was just young last year. Jerron just about beat Grimsley by himself last year for starters. Northwest Offense won’t be better than Dudley’s. They have 3 D-1 receivers (not including Blackwell cause he plays defense) and their two running backs will be good as well (both better than NW transfer RB, I know this for a fact) Don’t go off of last year, you better actually look into each player. Bartley is the most explosive WR in Greensboro.

It would be interesting if they could start a series.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Really good list, I would just put Smith over HPC
Could somebody not go into Smith and build a program? Similar demographics to Dudley right? I don't mean that derogatory. I just mean they got to have some freaking crazy good athletes there. I feel like and I don't follow it very much that they were pretty good a few years back but I'm not sure. Do they have some potential?

Could somebody not go into Smith and build a program? Similar demographics to Dudley right? I don't mean that derogatory. I just mean they got to have some freaking crazy good athletes there. I feel like and I don't follow it very much that they were pretty good a few years back but I'm not sure. Do they have some potential?

They have potential. Last time they were good was about 10 years ago? They are pretty good I’m basketball though

Grimsley’s DT that just graduated went there before transferring. They always got a few good pieces but people transfer before HS or within the first few years. I think the coach they just brought in will stay for the long run though and that’s what they’ve been missing is stability and discipline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT