ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the pairings are "officially" posted...any thoughts?

just when you think they may be getting the process better, they're not. Seed the conference champions and let Max Prep seed all the rest. No 2's, 3's just good football teams.

All these teams with losing records in the playoffs is an absolute joke. Way too many teams making the playoffs just to generate additional gate. Money is the root of all evil. The number of eligible playoff teams should be cut in half and eliminate the first round of this crap.

If Whiteville and South Columbus both win this week and have to travel to the mountains to play Mountain Heritage and Hendersonville, perhaps they should carpool as Mountain Heritage is only an hour further away. :eek:
If S. Columbus wins they will host either Graham or Lincolnton in the 2nd round.

trust me wolfpack69...it won't be Graham that goes to the 2nd round....truly pitiful team that somehow got into playoffs by finishing 2nd in mid-state behind Reidsville...Rams destroyed Graham last nite in a downpour 50-0 with a running clock whole 2nd half...to keep it from being worse...I know Lincolnton is down a bit this year but they won't have a problem....Lincolnton and S. Columbus in 2nd round would be an intriguing matchup......................

North Wilkes has a lot of size but not a lot speed. Their RB Grimes is their main weapon. Last year, he led the state in rushing.

I know that Whiteville has had some really good teams and would expect the Wolfpack to win this one. It’s going to be a long ride from Hays/Traphill (home of Stone Mountain State Park) to Whiteville.

There is a damn team in 1A that is 5-6 record and a top 4 seed with a bye in the first round? What a joke.
In 4A, South Caldwell is getting a bye at 1-10. They are in a split conference and finished above the only other 4A school in their conference, so they are seeded as a conference champion.

This has been going on for years, and nothing is ever done about the way split conferences are handled. The rule was set up so that lower classification teams in split conferences won't be punished for finishing behind teams of higher classification, but I guess no one at the NCHSAA feels that it should only be applied that way and not the opposite way.

Reactions: seadog28
I think the NCHSAA should use both of the systems. They could use the old formula to put the teams with the best records in and if there are ties, use Maxpreps to break the ties. Just a suggestion, but I don’t like any 7-4 team not making the playoffs and teams that only won 3 games in. I know there are many variables in figuring the power ratings, but the teams can’t help who they play in their respective conferences. Just my opinion.

Reactions: beamer24
Playoffs need a complete overhaul to include reviewing moving away from the standard alignment classifications fir the playoffs. A lot of variables involved and there are always going to be scenarios that bring questions.

trust me wolfpack69...it won't be Graham that goes to the 2nd round....truly pitiful team that somehow got into playoffs by finishing 2nd in mid-state behind Reidsville...Rams destroyed Graham last nite in a downpour 50-0 with a running clock whole 2nd half...to keep it from being worse...I know Lincolnton is down a bit this year but they won't have a problem....Lincolnton and S. Columbus in 2nd round would be an intriguing matchup......................
Simply incredible that Graham is a #5 seed. In no sane world should this happen.

But then again the whole seeding process is insane, so maybe this is what should be expected.:(

Simply incredible that Graham is a #5 seed. In no sane world should this happen.

But then again the whole seeding process is insane, so maybe this is what should be expected.:(

Graham would have been a 2 seed regardless and probably not seeded much differently since 7 of the 9 conference champs in 2A went into the AA bracket.

we know that sasha but a 3-8 team should not get a high seed simply because of a 2nd place finish....common sense by the nchsaa is called for here............

we know that sasha but a 3-8 team should not get a high seed simply because of a 2nd place finish....common sense by the nchsaa is called for here............

Every time the NCHSAA has changed the seeding process, the first year has never gone smoothly. I am sure that they will hear about it from the member coaches and will tweak it next year. If you have 15 3-8 teams seeded as #1s and #2s, then it would be different, but the results are no different really than the previous attempts and can be fixed with a few clarifications of the seeding rules. If a team qualifies as a conference champion or 2nd seed, whether in a split conference or regular conference, they should finish with a certain record to get the top seeds. If they do not, place them after the other 2 seeds but before the wild cards. Not completely fair, but a reasonable compromise. The only other option is to have the NCHSAA to start rigging games to control how games/conference seedings will turn out.

Well the state posted to quick and didn't wait for the rankings to be updated.... West Stokes goes to Bunn, who is ranked below West... West should have the home game!

Well the state posted to quick and didn't wait for the rankings to be updated.... West Stokes goes to Bunn, who is ranked below West... West should have the home game!

The final brackets were based on the updated numbers; however, I am not sure that the updated numbers have been released to the public. However, if that is correct, then your AD should have contested the seeding after the prelims were released and before the finals.

Per CalPreps, Bunn was expected to win by 7 but won by 21 on Friday; West Stokes was expected to win by 22 but only won by 1. I am not sure what the rankings were prior to the game, but that certainly could have made the difference that gave Bunn the home field.

There is a damn team in 1A that is 5-6 record and a top 4 seed with a bye in the first round? What a joke.
thats what ive been saying about 1A all along. even in past years. its not that the better 1A teams cant play with "anybody" because teams like Wallace Rose Hill, James Kenan, and Tarboro play and beat bigger schools all the time. its just that the average 1A team is not usually that good. 1A is very top heavy.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
By reading some of the posts on these boards the last 2 days you would thing the NCHSAA just threw the brackets together.... From all I know and can gather the rules have been out there since before the season started which means that if people really payed attention all the things that happened with the release of brackets could of been predicted long ago.... I’m not saying the system worked to perfection by any means but there was no collusion involved in the making of brackets!!!! There are quite a few things that probably be tweaked but just like March Madness I don’t think either association will EVER make everyone happy

I guess the rankings were supposed to fix some of the seeding problems, but second-place teams with bad overall records were sure to happen.
Everybody needs to just think of this first week as a play-in game for the real tournament. It will be interesting to see if any 10-to-16 seeds advance.

In the soccer playoffs, a 25-seed (Southwest Onslow) is in the third round. Sometimes, a No. 1 team from one conference isn't as good as a third-place team from another conference.
So having more teams qualify than less prevents any chance of a deserving team being left out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
I'm still trying to figure out how a team with a 6-5 record (East Davidson) doesn't get into the state playoffs yet you have teams in there with sub .500 records. The NCHSAA really needs to take a look at this.

I'm still trying to figure out how a team with a 6-5 record (East Davidson) doesn't get into the state playoffs yet you have teams in there with sub .500 records. The NCHSAA really needs to take a look at this.
I would like to have seen East make it. But, if you look at the records of the teams they beat, those six averaged better than eight losses each. Every team they beat had a losing record.
Let's face it. Except for North and Ledford, nobody in our conference probably deserved to be there.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I would like to have seen East make it. But, if you look at the records of the teams they beat, those six averaged better than eight losses each. Every team they beat had a losing record.
Let's face it. Except for North and Ledford, nobody in our conference probably deserved to be there.

Your probably right OC but the way they have it set up now is really frustrating. Who knows, improvements may be made down the road. Just have to keep practicing and get ready for next year. That is all you can do at this point.

The final brackets were based on the updated numbers; however, I am not sure that the updated numbers have been released to the public. However, if that is correct, then your AD should have contested the seeding after the prelims were released and before the finals.

Per CalPreps, Bunn was expected to win by 7 but won by 21 on Friday; West Stokes was expected to win by 22 but only won by 1. I am not sure what the rankings were prior to the game, but that certainly could have made the difference that gave Bunn the home field.

The prelims had West playing Ledford up until the final seedings were released on Saturday and they changed it to Bunn. Our AD did contest it on Sunday when the NEW rankings came out. The state didn't wait for the new revised power rankings. Calpreps has nothing to do with the state power rankings, it's all Maxpreps with the rankings from what I understood. They should have made it right, but didn't. All I'm saying is if the state said they were going to seed the playoffs according to the Maxprep power ranking, then they should have waited and got it right.

The prelims had West playing Ledford up until the final seedings were released on Saturday and they changed it to Bunn. Our AD did contest it on Sunday when the NEW rankings came out. The state didn't wait for the new revised power rankings. Calpreps has nothing to do with the state power rankings, it's all Maxpreps with the rankings from what I understood. They should have made it right, but didn't. All I'm saying is if the state said they were going to seed the playoffs according to the Maxprep power ranking, then they should have waited and got it right.

The NCHSAA did issue the first set of preliminary brackets with the wrong MaxPrep rankings; however, they pulled those so they could use the updated rankings which were to be provided for that purpose, but not released to the public. Even though their information is updated daily on their website, the rankings page says they are generally updated on Tuesday and Friday. As for CalPreps, I didn't say that CalPreps had anything to do with MaxPreps or the seeding process; I used CalPreps score predictions as an example of a factor that could have played into the MaxPreps ranking. West Stokes was predicted to win by 22 and 24 by CalPreps and Simmons, respectively - they won by 1. Bunn was expected to win by 7 by CP and lose by 1 by Simmons - they won by 21.

There could have been an error in the some piece of info provided to MaxPreps that was not caught until Sunday that helped Bunn and hurt West Stokes. Or it could just be human error that someone was supposed to put West Stokes as the higher seed and screwed up. If so, that is tough luck. However, after the final brackets are published, especially 24 hours after the fact, it is too late to contest.

Reactions: daagoob
East Davidson sucked. As somebody else already said if your 6 wins were against middle school teams and you finished in the back half of your league then you should be at home. The only good thing about using maxpreps rankings is it gets rid of these teams for example that built their schedules in previous years to get to 5-6 wins against cupcakes just to say they made the playoffs because they’d get a wild
Card based on win total.

To bad south point want play reidsville the Rams are the best 2a team in the state.

East Davidson sucked. As somebody else already said if your 6 wins were against middle school teams and you finished in the back half of your league then you should be at home. The only good thing about using maxpreps rankings is it gets rid of these teams for example that built their schedules in previous years to get to 5-6 wins against cupcakes just to say they made the playoffs because they’d get a wild
Card based on win total.

How can you say maxpreps rankings gets rid of certain teams when you still to this day have sub .500 teams making the state playoffs. Yeah, it really makes a lot of sense for a team with a losing record going to the state playoffs over a team that has a winning record. I'm including all teams with winning records, not just East.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT