ADVERTISEMENT

New proposed 6-class realignment model

SimmonsRatings

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2008
I have created a new 6-class realignment model using just football schools first (smaller 6A and 1A with larger 5A thru 2A) and then adding non-football schools back in. I welcome any feedback you may have. You can find it at http://www.simmonsratings.com under the HS football section.

I love six classification aspect for football but I would not support it because of the other sports. I do not want to see baseball, softball, basketball, soccer, et al go to six champions. The parity in the non football sports is strong. Keep it that way.

The NCHSAA wanted to go a double alignment. Non football sports would align just as they do now. Football would align every four years by itself. A school would be in a football conference and then one for all other sports. The non football would stay four classifications. Football, which does not have as much travel due to single games and no varsity weeknight travel, would go to more classifications. Schools thought it was too confusing and would hurt rivaleries. It would have been the best move.

This looks like a great re- alignment . Most schools would be playing same size schools here. Very few splits,great.

My plan was to leave the alignment exactly like it is. For football 192 teams qualify for the playoffs. List them largest to smallest. Divide into six divisions with Division 1 being the 32 largest and D6 being the 32 smallest. Five rounds of playoffs. The classification you play in the regular season does not determine your division. Your current ADM does not the ADM from as far back as five years ago. A school with 4A numbers would not be in 2A or a school with very high 2AA numbers would not play 1AA.

Reactions: beamer24
I'm not going to lie a Football only alignment is something i'd 100% support. I've been saying for years that I feel that the re-alignment process is very pastoral and needs evolution; that would be a great start.

I don't think it would have ruined anything at all. Hopefully it will happen here before too long.

I have created a new 6-class realignment model using just football schools first (smaller 6A and 1A with larger 5A thru 2A) and then adding non-football schools back in. I welcome any feedback you may have. You can find it at http://www.simmonsratings.com under the HS football section.
Interesting proposal, Simmons, that makes a lot of sense.
From a Thomasville perspective, it would make for a lot more travel than the current conference, but certainly some real challenges competitively.
To illustrate part of Thomasville's current dilemma to be competetitive, I pulled a report I have of Thomasville High School's numbers as of April 7th of this year. There were 640 students rather than the 700 number that I assume came from the state report at the first of the school year. Still would put us in the conference you propose, but as the smallest member. More importantly and more relevant, compare that number to members of our current conference. North Davidson, Ledford, Oak Grove, East Davidson, etc.. An extra 300-500 students makes a huge difference.
When we had Allen and Benji Brown, we usually could overcome those differences. With our present administration and coaching staff, not so much.

I've written for a long time (starting maybe 10 years ago) that conferences should be aligned by geography with NO classification, although school size figures in somewhat. Then you divide the 192 or so schools by their current ADMs into 6 classes for playoffs.

Never again use outdated numbers that have been in place for five years (which is the case at the end of the 4-year realignment).

Never again waste time with the the realignment process.

My plan is similar to Simmons but I believe it was posted on here earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT