ADVERTISEMENT

New Bern

Had a lot of interest from outside Craven and school system. Unless the drag out the process, it probably will not be DC. At this point, the current DC may be ye best choice for the kids.

Had a lot of interest from outside Craven and school system. Unless the drag out the process, it probably will not be DC. At this point, the current DC may be ye best choice for the kids.
Some really good names. Nice to see interest from guys on the 2012 and 2014 State Title coaching staffs. The board wants an outside hire.

Some really good names. Nice to see interest from guys on the 2012 and 2014 State Title coaching staffs. The board wants an outside hire.
I had a coach tell me the board wants a “clean slate” and no one with any ties to the program. That’s crazy to me, especially this late in the game.

Reactions: ncjeff
Looks like New Bern is looking at some assistants over in Meck County. Hope it happens, this kid has some good experience with some really good coaching staffs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 87SwO and beamer24
I'm hearing a name but it's not from Raleigh. If true he will be a solid hire.
Yep. The solid hire you're referring to was, at one point, a long shot due to him not wanting to leave his star QB and the issue of Craven County pay. However, it looks like that has changed. Much prefer him over the Raleigh guy. Hopefully he brings the QB with him and you guys won't have to worry about him again this year.

Reactions: dogs79
Yep. The solid hire you're referring to was, at one point, a long shot due to him not wanting to leave his star QB and the issue of Craven County pay. However, it looks like that has changed. Much prefer him over the Raleigh guy. Hopefully he brings the QB with him and you guys won't have to worry about him again this year.
Yep that is the same guy. QB was an athlete for sure.

I'm hearing a name but it's not from Raleigh. If true he will be a solid hire.
Raleigh guy was always plan B. Guy you’re hearing was the target all along. There were interviews done with no intention of hiring the interviewee. Just to present the illusion of doing their due diligence. The new principal didn’t sit in a some of the interviews.

Raleigh guy was always plan B. Guy you’re hearing was the target all along. There were interviews done with no intention of hiring the interviewee. Just to present the illusion of doing their due diligence. The new principal didn’t sit in a some of the interviews.
Plan A was the guy they wanted but he was questioning whether to leave now with his star QB in addition to Craven County Pay. The principal isn't a very big athletics guy.

And they more so interviewed folks knowing the board wouldn’t approve. Was hoping Russell Stone would’ve gotten it and brought over his son to take over but the new hire is a good one, too. All in all, the best that could’ve been done with the season starting in a month.

So guessing there will be another job open soon but I'm betting it's not in Raleigh. If I were in the interview and the Principal wasn't even there, I'd politely excuse myself. That's so disrespectful to the Coach. Of course this is Craven County which has shown they are about as poor in leadership as our NCGOP.

Reactions: ncjeff
Raleigh guy pulled his name.

So guessing there will be another job open soon but I'm betting it's not in Raleigh. If I were in the interview and the Principal wasn't even there, I'd politely excuse myself. That's so disrespectful to the Coach. Of course this is Craven County which has shown they are about as poor in leadership as our NCGOP.
I agree with you about the Principle. He should have been in the interview. There has been a lot of talk in this county over the Havelock situation. I like Caleb King and I have a lot of respect for him. When he was in college he was a part of our staff. But I also know Brent Manning that is the chairman of the BOE. He is as fine a man as you will ever come by. I have heard the same said of Scott Murphy although I don't know him. I can't talk to Brent about this because he is not going to do that but there is something there that has caused this board to be in the predicament they are in. I'd sure love to know. It's not based on some of the things I have heard coming from Havelock. Brent would not take part in that. I hope it's soon settled cause Havelock needs to be able to prepare for the season. I hope one day we will find out what this has been about. Somehow I doubt it with confidentiality agreements being the way they are.

I agree with you about the Principle. He should have been in the interview. There has been a lot of talk in this county over the Havelock situation. I like Caleb King and I have a lot of respect for him. When he was in college he was a part of our staff. But I also know Brent Manning that is the chairman of the BOE. He is as fine a man as you will ever come by. I have heard the same said of Scott Murphy although I don't know him. I can't talk to Brent about this because he is not going to do that but there is something there that has caused this board to be in the predicament they are in. I'd sure love to know. It's not based on some of the things I have heard coming from Havelock. Brent would not take part in that. I hope it's soon settled cause Havelock needs to be able to prepare for the season. I hope one day we will find out what this has been about. Somehow I doubt it with confidentiality agreements being the way they are.
Brent officiated the wedding of my wife's best friend and can agree, he's a good guy. In regard to Caleb, Clay knows a lot of the reasons why the board and superintendent feel the way they do about Caleb.

Brent officiated the wedding of my wife's best friend and can agree, he's a good guy. In regard to Caleb, Clay knows a lot of the reasons why the board and superintendent feel the way they do about Caleb.
Yea but there is so much respect between them I'm not about to bring that subject up with Clay. I just hope Caleb is named the coach and everyone can move on.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
When some of the interviews happened, there technically wasn’t a principal in place. Can’t lay that at the former principal’s or his replacement’s feet.

Reactions: dogs79 and ncjeff
He has won at two schools and has a very impressive record. Winning matters. The triple option T formation or wing T still wins at the high school level. Thing is QBs and WR will leave or will find a way out of these schools. College and the pro game is about the QB and WR position. Now not a knock on these offenses just the way the game has gone
How's that eligibility at New Bern doing? Might want to dig into that. Heard there was some packing bags and getting out of town quick going on over there. Not just him but school wide. Might have been playing with three or four that were not eligible had it not been for some grades given out.

How's that eligibility at New Bern doing? Might want to dig into that. Heard there was some packing bags and getting out of town quick going on over there. Not just him but school wide. Might have been playing with three or four that were not eligible had it not been for some grades given out.
People have been digging and haven't heard anything come from it. But you should definitely get the person that is feeding this info to you to contact the NCHSAA because the NCHSAA is still touting the defending 4A Champs here 3 days before the official season starts. Also, the former coach didn't get out that quick as he was with the team doing workouts leading up to him taking the Hillside job. The kids had a good practice earlier this week with the new coach and they're looking forward to the season.

Last edited:
People have been digging and haven't heard anything come from it. The former coach didn't get out that quick as he was with the team doing workouts leading up to him taking the Hillside job.
He had been putting the word out for awhile that he was open to moving. Can’t blame him, too many agendas by people that make decisions.

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
He had been putting the word out for awhile that he was open to moving. Can’t blame him, too many agendas by people that make decisions.
Correct, he applied for jobs last year and again earlier this year with Rolesville. Best time to go out is on top, stock isn’t going to go any higher.

People have been digging and haven't heard anything come from it. But you should definitely get the person that is feeding this info to you to contact the NCHSAA because the NCHSAA is still touting the defending 4A Champs here 3 days before the official season starts. Also, the former coach didn't get out that quick as he was with the team doing workouts leading up to him taking the Hillside job. The kids had a good practice earlier this week with the new coach and they're looking forward to the season.
Oh snap. Looks like what we heard was right. Here's the facts he knew it happened. He helped it happen. He's been a crook ever since and before. Allegations of it happening before. It'll happen in Durham too. You just so proud of your team you didn't want to admit it. Here we are five ineligible players last year. A vacated state championship. Grades being changed, drug test being hidden. He wasn't waiting around. He knew what was coming. He just didn't tell anybody. Except for some people. Next time you defend him so wholeheartedly think twice.

Oh snap. Looks like what we heard was right. Here's the facts he knew it happened. He helped it happen. He's been a crook ever since and before. Allegations of it happening before. It'll happen in Durham too. You just so proud of your team you didn't want to admit it. Here we are five ineligible players last year. A vacated state championship. Grades being changed, drug test being hidden. He wasn't waiting around. He knew what was coming. He just didn't tell anybody. Except for some people. Next time you defend him so wholeheartedly think twice.
I definitely can’t sit around and watch you call this man a crook and say that he helped when I’m sure you have no proof of these allegations. A coach can’t play players if the AD doesn’t allow it and the principal doesn’t sign off on the forms. There are a lot of moving parts in this situation and all the finger pointing has to stop. The fact that you went back and responded to a thread from July let’s me know you, the hate you have for New Bern and Coach Nowell is real. Do everyone a favor and get a new hobby or go read a book.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swo1980
Hey roughtrader. Yessir, always been proud of my alma mater and the people that have done good and was expressing what I heard and will always wait until everything is laid out before prosecuting. Now we know, and I feel better about the protocols in place, even though they should’ve been there long before. I won’t delete the post you’re responding to, I left it out there in the open. Have a good one!

I definitely can’t sit around and watch you call this man a crook and say that he helped when I’m sure you have no proof of these allegations. A coach can’t play players if the AD doesn’t allow it and the principal doesn’t sign off on the forms. There are a lot of moving parts in this situation and all the finger pointing has to stop. The fact that you went back and responded to a thread from July let’s me know you, the hate you have for New Bern and Coach Nowell is real. Do everyone a favor and get a new hobby or go read a book.
I don't hate New Bern I was glad to see them beat grimsley. But his sorry ass took off running as soon as he knew he had finished the year. Because he knew what was coming everyone says he was looking etc etc. He's left Carnage in his wake everywhere he's been whether it be a culture or whatever. Yeah he's a part-time preacher you know presiding over weddings and stuff. Preaching the word of God. But when it comes to what he's doing those morals and ethics don't matter. What he did is put kids on the field who shouldn't have been playing who shouldn't have been because they weren't being responsible. So the lessons he taught them was to cheat. Because he's a cheater. He'll do it up the same way in Durham. And there will be carnage to follow. Don't be blaming it on the AD it's partly his fault but he knew. Somewhere deep down they made a decision to play those guys. Even though it's questionable or it was definitely evident that they weren't eligible to play. And that's part of being a high school athlete. Not being a part-time preacher who cheats his ass off. But being a good man as everyone says he is, and teaching those kids that they won't play if they don't study that's a privilege. So you can not stand by all you want. But the evidence is there.

Last edited:
I don't hate New Bern I was glad to see them beat grimsley. But his sorry ass took off running as soon as he knew he had finished the year. Because he knew what was coming everyone says he was looking etc etc. He's left Carnage in his awake everywhere he's been whether it be a culture or whatever. Yeah he's a part-time preacher you know presiding over weddings and stuff. Preaching the word of God. But when it comes to what he's doing those morals and ethics don't matter. What he did is put kids on the field who shouldn't have been playing who shouldn't have been because they weren't being responsible. So the lessons he taught them was to cheat. Because he's a cheater. He'll do it up the same way in Durham. And they'll be carnage to follow. Don't be blaming it on the AD it's partly his fault but he knew. Somewhere deep down they made a decision to play those guys. Even though it's questionable or it was definitely evident that they weren't eligible to play. And that's part of being a high school athlete. Not being a part-time preacher who cheats his ass off. But being a good man is everyone says he is, and teaching those kids that they won't play if they don't study that's a privilege. So you cannot stand by all you want. But the evidence is there.
As far as proof goes, look at what I made my original text or post. Look how lonely good it was. I went back and rehashed it and put it back on this board. Because you two idiots were calling me a fool and I knew I had information. Inside information which you don't have. Anyway might be a little boasting for me. I hate it for the kids. But I'm glad everybody sees him for what he is.

The teachers that came orward should be applauded. The administrators they reported to had no choice but to send it through the proper protocol for review. If not and caught they are would have faced serious consequences.

Some speculate the reason the HC did not leave earlier is because he did not have a job availabe sooner. May be not. I have found over the last few decades that word does travel quick especially in the general geographic areas.

I don't hate New Bern I was glad to see them beat grimsley. But his sorry ass took off running as soon as he knew he had finished the year. Because he knew what was coming everyone says he was looking etc etc. He's left Carnage in his awake everywhere he's been whether it be a culture or whatever. Yeah he's a part-time preacher you know presiding over weddings and stuff. Preaching the word of God. But when it comes to what he's doing those morals and ethics don't matter. What he did is put kids on the field who shouldn't have been playing who shouldn't have been because they weren't being responsible. So the lessons he taught them was to cheat. Because he's a cheater. He'll do it up the same way in Durham. And they'll be carnage to follow. Don't be blaming it on the AD it's partly his fault but he knew. Somewhere deep down they made a decision to play those guys. Even though it's questionable or it was definitely evident that they weren't eligible to play. And that's part of being a high school athlete. Not being a part-time preacher who cheats his ass off. But being a good man is everyone says he is, and teaching those kids that they won't play if they don't study that's a privilege. So you cannot stand by all you want. But the evidence is there.
This is why I don't go to church

Reactions: Swo1980 and btango
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT