ADVERTISEMENT

4a east

BlackKnight24

Apr 17, 2015
my question is how did new bern get a higher seed than richmond because richmond is higher in the rpi than new bern

New Bern received an automatic bid for winning the 4A portion of their conference. All Automatic bids are seeded first and then all other teams.

New Bern received an automatic bid for winning the 4A portion of their conference. All Automatic bids are seeded first and then all other teams.
it shouldn't matter richmond is ranked higher than new bern. rules clearly state that they have to go by rpi

richmond is ranked 15th and new bern is ranked in the late 30s. they should not be in the playoffs

it shouldn't matter richmond is ranked higher than new bern. rules clearly state that they have to go by rpi
Rules state that the conference winners receive an automatic bid and are seeded first. Then all other teams that qualify are seeded. The RPI is used to seed the automatic bids, i.e. Rolesville had the top RPI of all of the automatic bids so they are the #1 in the east. Then the RPI is used to seed all of the other teams. For example, Laney's RPI had them as the #6 seed in the east. However, all the Automatic bids from the 10 conference winners in the east had to be seeded first. Therefore, Laney is the #11 seed in the east.

Rules state that the conference winners receive an automatic bid and are seeded first. Then all other teams that qualify are seeded. The RPI is used to seed the automatic bids, i.e. Rolesville had the top RPI of all of the automatic bids so they are the #1 in the east. Then the RPI is used to seed all of the other teams. For example, Laney's RPI had them as the #6 seed in the east. However, all the Automatic bids from the 10 conference winners in the east had to be seeded first. Therefore, Laney is the #11 seed in the east.
From the NCHSAA Handbook:
4.1.18 Seeding (a) The pre-determined East and West Regions will be seeded independently of one another. (b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows: (1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system). NOTE: The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher in order to be seeded as a #1. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams. (2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths or conference tournament champions and at-large berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system). (c) Once seeding is complete: (1) Existing byes will be awarded to the highest seeds possible. (2) The higher seed is the home team unless otherwise determined by the NCHSA

regardless they cheated when they had those players that were not allowed to play academically and they should not be in the playoffs they did it to pinecrest one year.
Yes, I still smh on how all that has been handled. At the end of the day, I felt like you did but have arrived at I would hate to see the players who had nothing to do with the cheating and who can't enter a transfer portal be penalized. I know kids tranfer and teams recruit, but most kids can't afford to. They have to play where they are.

my question is how did new bern get a higher seed than richmond because richmond is higher in the rpi than new bern
Easier way to understand. A 2nd place conference finisher cannot be seeded higher then a 1st place conference finisher. NB won conference RC did not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncjeff
Easier way to understand. A 2nd place conference finisher cannot be seeded higher then a 1st place conference finisher. Same as 3 over 2. 4 over 3. NB won conference RC did not.
Actually, once all the #1 teams are seeded, then how they finished in their respective conference does not matter. After seeding all the #1 teams, then it goes strictly on RPI and does not look at the conference standings. One example is that Wake Forest is seeded higher than Heritage, but Heritage finished in 3rd place in the NAC and WF finished 4th. Wake Forst is a 17 seed and Heritage is at 21.

regardless they cheated when they had those players that were not allowed to play academically and they should not be in the playoffs they did it to pinecrest one year.
The players were signed off by the board to play, so they played. They forfeited the games and won all of their games they needed to in order to get in the playoffs.

Actually, once all the #1 teams are seeded, then how they finished in their respective conference does not matter. After seeding all the #1 teams, then it goes strictly on RPI and does not look at the conference standings. One example is that Wake Forest is seeded higher than Heritage, but Heritage finished in 3rd place in the NAC and WF finished 4th. Wake Forst is a 17 seed and Heritage is at 21.
Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: FB fan 92
The 4A east is down to 8 teams and the defending champs are still in the mix.

FV @ Rolesville
NB @ Cleveland
Laney @ Hoggard
Clayton @ CG

FV is in big trouble as this team really struggles to score point. They will probably need at least 40 to be in this game and they only average 16 pp.
This will be the best team NB has faced this year. The 2 best teams NB has played is Havelock which they beat 15-14 and Jacksonville who beat the Bears 41-18. Cleveland has beaten Hoggard and Clayton who are still alive in the playoffs. I see the defending champs impressive run ending against the Rams.
Laney and Hoggard know each other well. Hoggard beat Laney 49-15 earlier in the season. Braswell Stadium will be packed and electric as two Wilmington teams play each other in the 3rd round for the first time.
CG and Clayton should be a barn burner.

FV @ Rolesville
NB @ Cleveland
Laney @ Hoggard
Clayton @ CG

FV is in big trouble as this team really struggles to score point. They will probably need at least 40 to be in this game and they only average 16 pp.
This will be the best team NB has faced this year. The 2 best teams NB has played is Havelock which they beat 15-14 and Jacksonville who beat the Bears 41-18. Cleveland has beaten Hoggard and Clayton who are still alive in the playoffs. I see the defending champs impressive run ending against the Rams.
Laney and Hoggard know each other well. Hoggard beat Laney 49-15 earlier in the season. Braswell Stadium will be packed and electric as two Wilmington teams play each other in the 3rd round for the first time.
Cleveland is good but looked mighty beatable that last regular season game against Clayton where they needed a hail-mary to get the W. Bears are playing with some momentum right now and just had a freshman RB reach over 1,000 yards for the season. We'll be the underdogs but hopefully can continue scoring on D and special teams and make it interesting.

Reactions: ncjeff
Cleveland is good but looked mighty beatable that last regular season game against Clayton where they needed a hail-mary to get the W. Bears are playing with some momentum right now and just had a freshman RB reach over 1,000 yards for the season. We'll be the underdogs but hopefully can continue scoring on D and special teams and make it interesting.
I saw that Hail Mary play. I think Clayton is a good football team and that was also a rivalry game. How many times has NB-Rose game been close when it shouldn’t have? With that being said, if NB offense and secondary can make plays they will have a good shot at this game.

I thought Cleveland would decline once Omarion Hampton left and thought Rolesville would do the same once Rodgers left to Ohio State and the coach left. I need to start giving these 2 programs some respect.

I thought Cleveland would decline once Omarion Hampton left and thought Rolesville would do the same once Rodgers left to Ohio State and the coach left. I need to start giving these 2 programs some respect.
Not sure what year Rolesville opened, but Cleveland’s first varsity football season was in 2011. I think Roseville’s opening is probably similar to that. Hampton’s presence certainly created high expectations at Cleveland. He was hurt in 2020 and did not play in the State Championship game. In 2021, eventual champs, Cardinal Gibbons took them out in the third round.

Cleveland however was winning before Hampton arrived. The first year for the varsity football team in 2011, went to the 3A Eastern region finals. Has won 80% of its games in program history. Still chasing a championship.

From twitter page:
13 seasons- 136-33 record- 1 Regional Championship- 3 Regional Finals- 10 Conference Titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Any thoughts on cardinal gibbons vs Clayton?
Clayton is solid, but their primary weapon is the QB that transferred in from Knightdale. I understand he has an offer from Boston College. Not sure what other programs. Clayton will be defined by his success. He can pass the ball and is also able to scramble for yards. They also have a solid running back and a 6’4” tight end that I believe they could utilize more often than they do.

I have not seen Cardinal Gibbons, but from what I understand sounds like they have improved significantly as the season has progressed and are showing some pretty solid results now. I expect this to be an exciting game.

Not sure what year Rolesville opened, but Cleveland’s first varsity football season was in 2011. I think Roseville’s opening is probably similar to that. Hampton’s presence certainly created high expectations at Cleveland. He was hurt in 2020 and did not play in the State Championship game. In 2021, eventual champs, Cardinal Gibbons took them out in the third round.

Cleveland however was winning before Hampton arrived. The first year for the varsity football team in 2011, went to the 3A Eastern region finals. Has won 80% of its games in program history. Still chasing a championship.

From twitter page:
13 seasons- 136-33 record- 1 Regional Championship- 3 Regional Finals- 10 Conference Titles.
Ten conference titles in 13 seasons? That's pretty darn good.

Reactions: FB fan 92
I think this might be the best game played this week in the East. Clayton has played well all season. CG has really come on the second half of the season. I think CG pulls this one out.

FV @ Rolesville
NB @ Cleveland
Laney @ Hoggard
Clayton @ CG

Port City, how can I watch the Hoggard game tonight. I don’t see them on the NFHS app.

Man was that a close game. Clayton got into the red zone at least three times and could not score or fumbled. As a fan of the Greater Neuse River conf., I was hoping Clayton would get the victory. Congratulations to Cardinal Gibbons!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT