ADVERTISEMENT

NCPreps.com 1A Baker's Dozen - Week 10

Logistically the expense of some the mountain schools scheduling MIC is crazy. The Asheville area is feasible but SMC schools are a long way from MIC.

If MIC is such world beaters then why don't they take their show on the road and start playing some teams that might offer them competition? A program two years old with such a stout team shouldn't be afraid to play anyone. Just my two cents..... Until they do something they are just another flash in the pan team benefiting from a lack luster schedule. Nothing to see here at all if you ask me. West Montgomery has trouble finding teams to play due to their success. If not for old conference foes and a few here and there games West would struggle to fill their schedule. MIC could climb down from that mountain and visit Wadeville and we'd dang sure give them a stick they could measure themselves by. I don't think I've ever seen a team with 4 or 5 sub 4.5 guys. Aside from the NFL of course...... I guess that MIC will win the 4x100 relay at State this year handily. We'll keep our team home since that title already is hanging in the rafters numerous times.

MIC was picked to finish 5th in the conference, and a double digit underdog in almost every game until Highland Tech. I know the coach reached out to plenty of teams to try and schedule more competitive teams but wasn't successful. The next couple of years I think you will see a major difference scheduling wise! But like you said why are teams avoiding them? Would you want to see your powerhouse mountain school get upset by a 1A charter that's a 2nd year program?? Probably not! I agree with you 100% that TJ or BC wasn't the same after those games. I've seen both play since then. And I'm willing to bet any amount of money that if there were a rematch with BC it would be a totally different game!
I'd take your bet!

A Jacketfan

If MIC is such world beaters then why don't they take their show on the road and start playing some teams that might offer them competition? A program two years old with such a stout team shouldn't be afraid to play anyone. Just my two cents..... Until they do something they are just another flash in the pan team benefiting from a lack luster schedule. Nothing to see here at all if you ask me. West Montgomery has trouble finding teams to play due to their success. If not for old conference foes and a few here and there games West would struggle to fill their schedule. MIC could climb down from that mountain and visit Wadeville and we'd dang sure give them a stick they could measure themselves by. I don't think I've ever seen a team with 4 or 5 sub 4.5 guys. Aside from the NFL of course...... I guess that MIC will win the 4x100 relay at State this year handily. We'll keep our team home since that title already is hanging in the rafters numerous times.

They may or may not! As a previous track athlete and coach, 40 times don't always translate to 100m times. But the goal shouldn't be what you got hanging in the rafters but what those kids have hanging on their walls in a couple years in college degrees. "Reference a previous post by SmokingGun". It is likely 2 or 3 legs for that possible relay team will graduate in December and enroll early in school! I reached out to the HC about WM and WRH which both need games next year. Have to see how the conference alignment plays out for next year. They will get a full conference schedule of 7 games and have to go from there.

Wow that banner would look great in the rafters but MICS isn't focused on track since most of our seniors are graduating early to enroll in their college of choice. See when you advocate for your kids your focus is on them prospering in life rather than putting banners in the rafters. We collect college hats given to the kids when they sign their college letter of intent and then pose for pictures with their family. As far as the schedule we play who wasn't scared to accept the game. We did everything except beg teams and pay their fine to play them. Teams knew we were coming into the conference and still found ways to make sure their schedule was full without a call or email request for a game. Jamboree requests went unresponded to and ignored. So lets get past the schedule and leave that excuse on the last page. The schedule for this year cannot be changed but feel free to jump to the front of the list for next year. Feel free to come enjoy some great hospitality and witness that speed first hand on the gorgeous turf. You can find the head coach and or AD email information on the school website to set the game up. We have plenty of open slots to fill for the 2017-2018 season.

Am I missing something? Who is MIC and what have they ever done on the football field? I hope WRH has the chance to see you in the championship game. You will see what a Defense is and you will feel what it's like to get hit. We are the back to back state Champs so we have I little room to talk. But you haven't beaten anyone credible yet. Just keep preying on the bottom schools because when you rise to the top you won't last.

I am obviously not as fanatical as BD, but WM has plenty of hats from colleges as well. A good number of them every year, from plenty of colleges both big and small. And all those kids live in Troy or Mount Gilead. I'm sure Duplin County and Cleveland County and a multitude of others can boast the same from their respective towns.

Big discrepancy in e Montgomery and w Montgomery rankings in the rival sites. Who's better this year?

The transfer of the Havelock school record setting RB to East Carteret might change things a bit in the playoffs.

Am I missing something? Who is MIC and what have they ever done on the football field? I hope WRH has the chance to see you in the championship game. You will see what a Defense is and you will feel what it's like to get hit. We are the back to back state Champs so we have I little room to talk. But you haven't beaten anyone credible yet. Just keep preying on the bottom schools because when you rise to the top you won't last.

Love the word play. We are the raptors which are birds of PREY. However, we prefer to play any and everyone available. We have had a very difficult time filling our schedule and it is unfortunate our boys are suffering because of the OLE politics that stand in the way. As mention earlier in the chat. Our school website is http://www.micharter.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=230877&type=d&pREC_ID=577042

Please feel free to contact our head coach or Athletic Director to set up a game for the 2017-2018 season we have plenty of spaces available. I'm sure we can set it up for a few years where we come to each other alternating years. That way we won't be FORCED to fill our non conference schedule with so called "bottom schools" instead both of our kids can have a great game to showcase their skills and continue to increase opportunities for them.
Let me end with saying congratulations on your back to back state championships and all the glory that comes with it. We have not accomplished that glory and accomplishment to date great luck this year on your quest for a three peat. Personally a three peat opens the discussion to DYNASTY sir. THAT"S AWESOME!!!!!!

Love the word play. We are the raptors which are birds of PREY. However, we prefer to play any and everyone available. We have had a horrible time filling our schedule and it is unfortunate our boys are suffering because of the OLE politics that stand in the way. As mention earlier in the chat. Our school website is http://www.micharter.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=230877&type=d&pREC_ID=577042

Please feel free to contact our head coach or Athletic Director to set up a game for the 2017-2018 season we have plenty of spaces available. I'm sure we can set up up for a few years where we come to each other alternating years. That way we won;t be FORCED to fill our non conference schedule with so called "bottom schools" instead both of our kids can have a great game to showcase their skills and continue to increase opportunities for them.
Let me end with saying congratulations on your back to back state championships and all the glory that comes with it. We have not accomplished that glory and accomplishment to date great luck this year on your quest for a three peat. Personally a three peat opens the discussion to DYNASTY sir. THAT"S AWESOME!!!!!!
I just think it's cool that a school can be on a mountain and an island at the same time. Gives me hope about my volcano wetlands charter that I'm starting in a few years.

Was that supposed to be funny?? That was LAME! It's called a name. A name that comes from the area the school is located.

The transfer of the Havelock school record setting RB to East Carteret might change things a bit in the playoffs.
Might make for an eastern finals appearance for East Carteret, still won't have anything for WRH though.

Thomas Jefferson beat Bessemer City this past Friday 42-8. TJ held there running back who has 1000+ yards on the season to under a 100.

The Cherryville game was a painful but valuable lesson for TJ players about being "focused each and every week". TJ is a young team this year and they were ahead by 1 or 2 TD's for the entire game until they gave up two easy scores at the end of the game (both long pass plays). I also think Bessemer City may have been a bit overconfident when they showed up on Friday night. Enjoyed watching that running back from Bessemer...he is tough to bring down and surprisingly quick for such a big back.

Reactions: Smoking Gunz
MIC will never do what Murphy, WRH, Swain, Robbinsville have done. Because they play by different rules. A MIC state title would carry less credit that a true public school. Lol. For example would Dale Earnhardt be credited the same for winning a NASCAR race in his number 3 car as mmluch as he would if he won it in a VW Beattle. The win in the beetle would be much more impressive than the other

MIC will never do what Murphy, WRH, Swain, Robbinsville have done. Because they play by different rules. A MIC state title would carry less credit that a true public school. Lol. For example would Dale Earnhardt be credited the same for winning a NASCAR race in his number 3 car as mmluch as he would if he won it in a VW Beattle. The win in the beetle would be much more impressive than the other

You should be ashamed of yourself. Let's remember the young men play this sport not old over the top local football fans that get nervous at the first sight of rankings. I haven't heard a word about MIC until these ranking dropped. All summer and most of the season not a word. No preseason pick to finish nothing but now you want to comment because you scared.

You mean to tell me these young men don't deserve the same credit? Interesting that this mentality is starting to resurface.

This sounds like fear and fear often comes from ignorance. You crowning some one champs already??? While attempting to put a asterisk by something that don't exist. That's low especially the fact that kids are involved.

Now back to the ignorance. You will not be able to go back and forth with me spewing your ignorance and misinformation about charter schools. Try that with someone else. Different rules please enlighten me with your facts?

Last edited:
Anyone that comes on here saying that Charter Schools don't have an advantage over traditional schools needs to come to grips with the fact that Charter Schools have a HUGE advantage over traditional schools. Uwharrie Charter at the edge of Montgomery/Randolph counties pull from both counties but competes at 1A. They don't yet have football, probably never will, but were extremely competitive in basketball, baseball and a few other sports. There's no fear involved there noob. Facts are facts. For example. School A, B and C have boundaries they are pulling students from regulated by the state. Charter School XYZ opens. Now, if Charter XYZ wants to field a team it has the ability to pull the best students from Traditional A, B and C with zero ramifications, violations or fall out from the NCHSAA because it is permitted. Does it make it a "level" playing field with the other schools who pull from specific districts? NO. NOT AT ALL.

Now, let's say Charter School XYZ decides to field a football team. They are allowed to pull students from the districts of Traditional A, B and C. Instead of having 250 students to field a team from they now have 750 to field a team from. Now, I don't want to make this a math lecture or confuse you with statistical information but if you have 22 starting positions in football and you have 250 students to choose from as opposed to 750 to choose from who has the best chance of fielding a much, much more competitive team? Traditional schools should be classified by the highest classification of the school in which a student athlete left or should attend. Bottom line, Charter Schools and Prep Schools should not be in public school competition.

Anyone that comes on here saying that Charter Schools don't have an advantage over traditional schools needs to come to grips with the fact that Charter Schools have a HUGE advantage over traditional schools. Uwharrie Charter at the edge of Montgomery/Randolph counties pull from both counties but competes at 1A. They don't yet have football, probably never will, but were extremely competitive in basketball, baseball and a few other sports. There's no fear involved there noob. Facts are facts. For example. School A, B and C have boundaries they are pulling students from regulated by the state. Charter School XYZ opens. Now, if Charter XYZ wants to field a team it has the ability to pull the best students from Traditional A, B and C with zero ramifications, violations or fall out from the NCHSAA because it is permitted. Does it make it a "level" playing field with the other schools who pull from specific districts? NO. NOT AT ALL.

Now, let's say Charter School XYZ decides to field a football team. They are allowed to pull students from the districts of Traditional A, B and C. Instead of having 250 students to field a team from they now have 750 to field a team from. Now, I don't want to make this a math lecture or confuse you with statistical information but if you have 22 starting positions in football and you have 250 students to choose from as opposed to 750 to choose from who has the best chance of fielding a much, much more competitive team? Traditional schools should be classified by the highest classification of the school in which a student athlete left or should attend. Bottom line, Charter Schools and Prep Schools should not be in public school competition.

It's advantages in everything in some form or fashion. Let me keep it broad and simple.

Charters- Have to abide by the same rules as any traditional schools.

The Advantage is the 25 mile radius boundary

The Disadvantage: They don't have a large feeder MS schools to pull from like traditional schools do this is why they have a larger radius. Anyone can't just show up and attend even if they move into the district. They have a lottery and it's done by seats once a year. So if you don't get in or are not on the waiting list you can't just come. Traditional schools anyone can show up or move at anytime during the year.

I believe everyone will agree that "educational options" like charters should exist for academics. The problems starts when we add in athletics. Especially in a large populated area. People will complain once they start losing to these schools in sports. For example I haven't heard a pep about Sugar Creek Charter or former Kennedy Charter which both are/was in the most heavily populated areas of the state. Why? Because they're not a threat to beat anyone in sports.

Let's keep it real this is a sports issue. The truth is educators that make the rules and the state aren't going to change rules because of sports. These schools are considered public schools and any form of separation outside of the given rules is a huge legal issue. The 25 mile radius advantage is offset by not having larger feeders. My advice would be for anyone who consistently complain about charters to get over it and move on. This will save a lot of time and energy. Yes there is advantages for non-traditional school in certain areas vice verse with traditional schools. These are offsetting penalties. PLAY BALL!!!

Don't be a cheerleader! At least he had something to add on like your drunken ramble.

Since this is a sports forum and the discussion revolves around a newly formed charter school then I think it's of relevance to discuss the ramifications that the implementation of charters into the 1A football ranks has and will have in the future moving forward.

Not sure what you mean about middle school feeder programs. If the same kids that attend Traditional A, B and C schools can end up at the Charter XYZ how is that not feeding the charter? And you still can't justify the ability to pull from several schools whereas the high schools only pull from their assigned middle school(s). And the 25 mile rule only applies to transportation provided by the charter schools. That's a fact. If parents or members of a let's say...mmmmmm..... association affiliated with the Charter's XYZ enrichment group pick up students or student athletes then nothing is illegal. You are the one who's fighting a losing argument on this one. Charters and Prep schools should be at minimum 3A bottom line. All it's going to take is for one of these to become a power in football like WS Prep is in basketball and you'll finally see the changes take place that should have a long time ago.

Done with this topic. You are new to this board and you and the patriarchal schools, prep schools and the city schools can all justify unfair advantages all day long. At the end of the day traditional schools that win titles the right way with home grown talent will always outshine the bought and paid for teams that are popping up all over for the right to call themselves "champions."

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Since this is a sports forum and the discussion revolves around a newly formed charter school then I think it's of relevance to discuss the ramifications that the implementation of charters into the 1A football ranks has and will have in the future moving forward.

Not sure what you mean about middle school feeder programs. If the same kids that attend Traditional A, B and C schools can end up at the Charter XYZ how is that not feeding the charter? And you still can't justify the ability to pull from several schools whereas the high schools only pull from their assigned middle school(s). And the 25 mile rule only applies to transportation provided by the charter schools. That's a fact. If parents or members of a let's say...mmmmmm..... association affiliated with the Charter's XYZ enrichment group pick up students or student athletes then nothing is illegal. You are the one who's fighting a losing argument on this one. Charters and Prep schools should be at minimum 3A bottom line. All it's going to take is for one of these to become a power in football like WS Prep is in basketball and you'll finally see the changes take place that should have a long time ago.

Done with this topic. You are new to this board and you and the patriarchal schools, prep schools and the city schools can all justify unfair advantages all day long. At the end of the day traditional schools that win titles the right way with home grown talent will always outshine the bought and paid for teams that are popping up all over for the right to call themselves "champions."

Lol don't get ahead of yourself. Basketball is an entirely different situation but there isn't a single 1a charter/prep football team that would even be close to competing at the 3a level. Has a non traditional school even made a legitimate run in the state playoffs? I know csd went to the semis in 1a but obviously the competition at that level is less than stellar. The advantages are obvious in sports with a limited number of players but are not yet apparent for football.

Agree...but the slippery slope that has been created could create a major issue. One big donor could turn Uwharrie Charter into a powerhouse 1A football team. That's just an example off the top of my head. The seeds have been sown for a long time. Competing at the 3A level isn't the issue. Heck, some 3A teams can't compete at the 3A level. But the issue lies within the number of students available to pull from as well as the blatant unfair advantage of no boundaries from which to pull from. Uwharrie has kids from all over Montgomery and Randolph Counties. I can't even tell you how many high schools are in Randolph County these days.

I tried to talk you off the ledge. Go ahead and jump. As soon as facts are presented outside of you're non factual argument you want to be done with the topic. Don't be done. You just spewed a bunch of nonsense as a matter of fact.

Did I need to slow it up for you. Middle school feeder is the middle school programs that feed the high schools.

"If the same kids that attend Traditional A, B and C schools can end up at the Charter XYZ how is that not feeding the charter?"

Answer- This is not a set feeder system. Yes those kids could end up at a charter but only by family "optional" choice and through a lottery system. That does not guarantee automatic enrollment. Despite your irrational belief this is not a natural feeder system.

"And you still can't justify the ability to pull from several schools whereas the high schools only pull from their assigned middle school(s). And the 25 mile rule only applies to transportation provided by the charter schools."

Answer- Now you're spinning in circles. Yes charters can pull from other high schools but not in a system. Families have to APPLY for a lottery. Again with no guarantee of enrollment. The 25 mile radius only applies to transportation??? Where in the world did you pull that from. This is why people are misinformed. The 25 mile radius is in regards to sports.

Per The State rules-"(1) The student must live within the member school’s boundary as established by the (LEA); or (2) If the student’s member school does not have a boundary established by an LEA (e.g., charter school, non-boarding parochial school, etc.), then the boundary for the member school shall be considered to be: (i) The entire county in which the member school is located; and (ii) Any addresses within a 25-mile radius of the member school as measured by an NCHSAA designated computer program"

Moving forward please explain home grown talent? You talk like these families are property or something. That helps explain the entire mentality. Families are free to move and do as they please for whatever reason they choose. Just because they choose to go to a charter or another school don't make it a crime. Stop condemning folks, schools, ect on these public forums because you're scared your little way of life is being jeopardized by "them". Play ball and stop crying.

Last edited:
Agree...but the slippery slope that has been created could create a major issue. One big donor could turn Uwharrie Charter into a powerhouse 1A football team. That's just an example off the top of my head. The seeds have been sown for a long time. Competing at the 3A level isn't the issue. Heck, some 3A teams can't compete at the 3A level. But the issue lies within the number of students available to pull from as well as the blatant unfair advantage of no boundaries from which to pull from. Uwharrie has kids from all over Montgomery and Randolph Counties. I can't even tell you how many high schools are in Randolph County these days.

You sound scary. If one big donor? If pigs had wings? If I was the man I was 20 years ago? STOP IT! This sounds like a witch hunt at it's finest. You know once upon a time people hand wrote everything and then came a type writer. The type writer met the computer. Times change and things evolve. You sound like a GOOD OLE BOY that just can't accept change. I guess "we" got to keep "them" out of here. Hummmm I've heard this before.

OK been here before and this goes round and round. Usually someone with just a few posts comes on and tries to convince traditional schools that charters have no advantage. These traditionalists are small minded in their views and do not grasp the concept behind the charter explosion in NC. These schools have been created because students are not getting what they need at their mediocre local high schools so they move to a better educational facility.

When traditionalists point out the advantages that appear to be happening on the sports side from these popup high schools they are often shouted down for posting such nonsense and deemed ignorant of rules that restrict attendance to these institutions.

Then a moderator comes back and scolds everyone for beating this dead horse. Eventually thread is locked.

Sound about right?

Don't know MIC from Adam. Just do know from past research that 25 mile radius is actually that. Also know that the aforementioned Uwharrie Charter is within that 25 mile radius of all 7 high schools of Randolph county and of a couple in other counties. Also was told by an extremely reliable source that had a younger non sports playing sibling accepted through lottery at one of
the charters that they really wanted her older baseball playing brother to come now that she was in. What held him back was the 365 rule, among a few other personal things, that the charter has to follow now that they are in NCHSAA umbrella.

Also as far as lotteries I think those are at the beginning of the school years and some charters do not have them for someone who transfers mid-term.

Done now. About time for moderator.

Last edited:
"Families have to APPLY for a lottery. Again with no guarantee of enrollment. "

I am no bd fan but I must say,
How long has WSPrep been in existence? YET, they have not met their CAP? That's the maximum number of students for a charter school before they have to use the "lottery". If a charter school is below their max. students, everyone that applies is accepted! So in these cases, yes they are guaranteed. I have noticed that when charter schools have to actually use the lottery, the sports teams often go south. I am not against charter schools, they have value, but 1A schools have been victimized by the NCHSAA's decision to allow charter schools to rule 1A in all sports outside of football. And if things do not change they will rule it as well.

"Families have to APPLY for a lottery. Again with no guarantee of enrollment. "

I am no bd fan but I must say,
How long has WSPrep been in existence? YET, they have not met their CAP? That's the maximum number of students for a charter school before they have to use the "lottery". If a charter school is below their max. students, everyone that applies is accepted! So in these cases, yes they are guaranteed. I have noticed that when charter schools have to actually use the lottery, the sports teams often go south. I am not against charter schools, they have value, but 1A schools have been victimized by the NCHSAA's decision to allow charter schools to rule 1A in all sports outside of football. And if things do not change they will rule it as well.
I am not sure how many times this has been stated on this board, but quite sure I could retire if I had a dollar for every time that WSP has been called a charter school. They are not a charter, they are a magnet school in the WSFCS system.

OK been here before and this goes round and round. Usually someone with just a few posts comes on and tries to convince traditional schools that charters have no advantage. These traditionalists are small minded in their views and do not grasp the concept behind the charter explosion in NC. These schools have been created because students are not getting what they need at their mediocre local high schools so they move to a better educational facility.

When traditionalists point out the advantages that appear to be happening on the sports side from these popup high schools they are often shouted down for posting such nonsense and deemed ignorant of rules that restrict attendance to these institutions.

Then a moderator comes back and scolds everyone for beating this dead horse. Eventually thread is locked.

Sound about right?

Don't know MIC from Adam. Just do know from past research that 25 mile radius is actually that. Also know that the aforementioned Uwharrie Charter is within that 25 mile radius of all 7 high schools of Randolph county and of a couple in other counties. Also was told by an extremely reliable source that had a younger non sports playing sibling accepted through lottery at one of
the charters that they really wanted her older baseball playing brother to come now that she was in. What held him back was the 365 rule, among a few other personal things, that the charter has to follow now that they are in NCHSAA umbrella.

Also as far as lotteries I think those are at the beginning of the school years and some charters do not have them for someone who transfers mid-term.

Done now. About time for moderator.

Usually it takes us till basketball season to start talking about Charters. Hopefully I don't have to step in in football season.

Usually it takes us till basketball season to start talking about Charters. Hopefully I don't have to step in in football season.

I hope not either. If I have to talk about my prostate again this place will start to resemble one of those commercials they keep showing during the World Series.

I hope not either. If I have to talk about my prostate again this place will start to resemble one of those commercials they keep showing during the World Series.
Good news is game time tomorrow is 7pm, maybe able to stay up and see the end of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT