ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA Proposals on Classification and Realignment

FOOTBALLFANTIC

Nov 16, 2001
NCHSAA is now proposing 5 or 6 classifications and realignment on a yearly basis.
Check out more on Highschoolot.com.

Your thoughts?

Why can't the NCHSAA do anything right? ALL teams qualifying for the playoffs? What in the world? You might as well just start with the playoffs, since the regular season won't determine anything.
I do like the thought of looking at ADMs every year and realigning as needed. That's something, I guess.

Why can't the NCHSAA do anything right? ALL teams qualifying for the playoffs? What in the world? You might as well just start with the playoffs, since the regular season won't determine anything.
I do like the thought of looking at ADMs every year and realigning as needed. That's something, I guess.
Are you advocating the possibility of realigning annually before each season starts? Or only realigning for playoff purposes?
Think of the chaos, especially with scheduling, if there's a chance that a conference could change members yearly.

Are you advocating the possibility of realigning annually before each season starts? Or only realigning for playoff purposes?
Think of the chaos, especially with scheduling, if there's a chance that a conference could change members yearly.
That's a great question!!! A lot of possibilities/consequences to ponder.

No, I don't like the possibility of every team making the playoffs, or the possibility of championships being held during the weekday, interrupting students' classtime.

Reactions: dogs79
I'm saying that the numbers should at least be looked at annually, instead of every 4 years, and if there is a school that was once 2A, but now has 3AA numbers, then that team should be placed in the 3A class at the earliest feasible moment that works.

Most states (South Carolina for one) realigns every two years.

All of these are just considerations right now. Just because it's considered doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

Plus, nothing happens unless the Board of Directors (made up of principals, AD's, superintendents, and coaches) approves it.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
Realign every two years since most schools schedule every two years.Don't believe everyone should be in playoffs.I have always thought championship game should be on high schools field like it use to be.Even a neutral field would be better that college field,like half way between each school.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
New realignment every year could be a nightmare to schedule for an AD.

Is it too simple to go to 6A, no splits, with realignment 3-4 years?

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Realign every two years since most schools schedule every two years.Don't believe everyone should be in playoffs.I have always thought championship game should be on high schools field like it use to be.Even a neutral field would be better that college field,like half way between each school.
That's a good idea, having a neutral hugh school field, so Murphy wouldn't have to travel to Manteo.

Reactions: Pisgah Bears
So this is interesting...we could have 5A, or even 6A in 2021. Or we could drop down to just three classifications with subdividing for the playoffs (NOOOOOO...too much of a gap in enrollment between the largest and smallest schools, I don’t see how the NCHSAA would go for that, fewer state championships). Or we could realign every year for the playoffs, which sounds to me like we wouldn’t change conferences every year but, had this been in effect in 2018 Burns could have played in the 2AA playoffs despite playing in a 3A conference. Just using that as an example. (If I am reading that correctly). I could get behind. But DEFINITELY against realigning conferences every year (I hope that is not what they are meaning ) and letting everyone in the playoffs!

I'm saying that the numbers should at least be looked at annually, instead of every 4 years, and if there is a school that was once 2A, but now has 3AA numbers, then that team should be placed in the 3A class at the earliest feasible moment that works.
As long as you are not annually changing the conference they play in, in the regular season, I’m all for this.

Allow counties and schools to make their own conferences or a school can remain independent. If schools decide to make a conference they must sign a 3-4 yr agreement or pay a fine (this will help with scheduling, keep rivalry games going, allow the conference to still have conference championships and tournaments, also allow counties that have schools of different sizes to stay together and not make one or two of those schools go to a conference that is going to bleed them dry) erase the notion that you get an automatic bid for winning a conference championship although they will be in but won't give them an automatic. Still utilize maxpreps ranking, take the top 192 schools in NC, 6 divisions, set your numbers accordingly. Each division 16 E 16 W, continue your playoffs accordingly. This will make sure each year numbers are equal, will allow schools to fluctuate in between classes, according to their current numbers. I'm sure there are some holes but just an idea

Everyone maing the playoffs is a joke more of that "Everybody gets a trophy" crap.....i still like State Championships being held at college fields just for the experience more than anything else. Lucky enough to get to experience it twice as a player something ill never forget

Every team making the playoffs has been discussed among the coaches. Do not see that happening though.

The realignment would be every two years but a school could be moved up or down after year one if enrollment circumstances made it necessary.

The schools (ie coaches) are going to push for subdividing whether it be five or six classes. If they subdivide to ten or twelve champions I would be disappointed.

Six classifications seems fine to me. Look at Alabama, there are 7 classifications in that state. Clinton, for example would be 6A in Alabama with their current enrollment, while many of the schools in the Charlotte, the Triangle and the Triad areas would be 7A. Alabama also has 4-8 regions, depending on the classification. They also have realignment every 2 years.

Six classifications seems fine to me. Look at Alabama, there are 7 classifications in that state. Clinton, for example would be 6A in Alabama with their current enrollment, while many of the schools in the Charlotte, the Triangle and the Triad areas would be 7A. Alabama also has 4-8 regions, depending on the classification. They also have realignment every 2 years.

Five, but not six.

Alabama is not a good state to use to compare to NC.

Alabama has a lot of schools with less than 400 students and even many with 300 and 200 some of which are private schools. The largest classification has about 35 schools with enrollment between 1,075 and 2,200. NC has 30 schools over 2,200.

Think Alabama does a “success” alignment where a very successful school can be moved up in class in that sport.

Every school makes playoffs? How is that even possible given the number of games and timeframe to fit regular season and playoffs?

what a joke

I get the frustration in the 4 year realignment and having schools that were once 2A numbers they year before realignment turning into a 3AA school in a few years with local realignment for example. Anything less than 4 years is tough to schedule for AD’s. Either do it every 2 years or keep the 4 year cycle, and look at admins every year and if a school has had a change in enrollment that would put them above 25% of the next class then they play up for the playoffs. Same if they lost enrollment numbers that put them below 25% of the next class down, they play down for the playoffs.

I get the frustration in the 4 year realignment and having schools that were once 2A numbers they year before realignment turning into a 3AA school in a few years with local realignment for example. Anything less than 4 years is tough to schedule for AD’s. Either do it every 2 years or keep the 4 year cycle, and look at admins every year and if a school has had a change in enrollment that would put them above 25% of the next class then they play up for the playoffs. Same if they lost enrollment numbers that put them below 25% of the next class down, they play down for the playoffs.
Good idea.

There are a lot of smart coaches out there who have good solutions to most of these problems if the NCHSAA would just listen to them. As usual, the NCHSAA wants to have all the power but pretend that schools are making the decisions.
"The ballot specifically mentions five or six classifications, with the possibility of dropping back to three or four classifications in subsequent years if the board of directors feels it is necessary."
1st of all there is a big dang difference between 5 and 6 classifications. And then that could change from year to year based on how the board feels? We have to have a majority vote to change from how it is now but then that vote would give the board the power to change it based on what THEY FEEL IS NECESSARY!?
It seems like a very slippery road to me - no way schools should vote yes for this with this type of language in the amendment. And don't even get me started on every school in the playoffs - there is NO coach that would support that.

Alabama is not a good state to use to compare to NC.

Alabama has a lot of schools with less than 400 students and even many with 300 and 200 some of which are private schools. The largest classification has about 35 schools with enrollment between 1,075 and 2,200. NC has 30 schools over 2,200.

Think Alabama does a “success” alignment where a very successful school can be moved up in class in that sport.

I like that successful alignment idea

Reactions: burnsbulldogtweeter
And don't even get me started on every school in the playoffs - there is NO coach that would support that.

Oh, I assure you it has been discussed at a coaches association meeting before.

There are variations of the idea. Drop a regular season game add one round to playoffs. A few teams may not make it to keep the numbers correct.

I like less teams in the playoffs and less champions but I would be fine if teams that did not make the playoffs were allowed to do a “bowl” game against a rival school. The coaches could do an underclassmen only or the regular team.

Reactions: Mavrick69
We only need 3 classifications.

1a is anything 749 and under.

2a is 750-1499.

3a is 1500 and up.

3 state champions and titles that actually mean something.

2a is 750-1499.

3a is 1500 and up.

We know that will not happen and even I would have a hard time with that from a fairness standpoint. Would love to see the four classes we have with no subdividing for football championships.

I would be fine with three classifications and subdivide to six champions for all team sports. That has been presented to the schools but they did not like the ADM differences although they liked six champions. Football coaches did not like losing two champions.

2a is 750-1499.

3a is 1500 and up.

Your proposal would gurantee that a school with 1500 students would never win a State Championship. I get your statement. But times have changed . I believe the more teams that have a shot at a championship means more kids might keep playing football. This year's championship games were mostly mismatches , the last thing we need to do is make it worse.. not saying I'm right about my opinion . I also respect your opinion, we all want whats best for HS Football in out state.

Reactions: BK13T-$ and Ooooner
Your proposal would gurantee that a school with 1500 students would never win a State Championship. I get your statement. But times have changed . I believe the more teams that have a shot at a championship means more kids might keep playing football. This year's championship games were mostly mismatches , the last thing we need to do is make it worse.. not saying I'm right about my opinion . I also respect your opinion, we all want whats best for HS Football in out state.

A big part of mismatches is subdivided playoffs. How often are the two best teams in opposite subclasses? Also, the two best teams often meet in the regional final. Reasonable to say the five best teams in 4AA were from the west.

Reactions: ocdavis31
If we are still going to go with two state champions in each division .Why not play one more game between those two team for a real state champion?You could easily do that by only having a ten game schedule for everyone.

If we are still going to go with two state champions in each division .Why not play one more game between those two team for a real state champion?You could easily do that by only having a ten game schedule for everyone.
Still wouldn’t be a real state champion, in my opinion, because you will have one school that’s gone through an easier gauntlet. For instance, the best western teams in 2A are in the 2AA. I would love to see everyone battling it out in one division to advance to the state championship. Wouldn’t you love to see Reidsville having to play the likes of Shelby, South Point in most years, Burns, Pisgah, and Hibriten in one division, rather than seeing them dominate a weak 2A West year in and year out. No shade at them, they are an all time great program, just calling it the way that I see it, though. Their ADM, which they cannot help, does have them in a great position, and they benefit mightily from it. One division is where it’s at!

Last edited:
Reactions: btango

No! If you want to do that and stick with four classifications go to ten game regular season and six round playoff. No subdividing.

Last edited:

2a is 750-1499.

3a is 1500 and up.

A 1500 student school versus 3000 kids is crazy. That is 1500 more kids to choose from on all sports, not just football. Huge enrollment differences is a large part of the problem now. That is why 5 classifications is needed to equal opportunity for all schools and have leagues with “like size” enrollments. Need like size schools and no more than 8 in a conference.

We all give the NCHSAA hell every time they do something.
Still after reading all these posts if they gave up the right to draw up this proposal we couldn't never come to an agreement either .:):):p

Reactions: KW23
A 1500 student school versus 3000 kids is crazy. That is 1500 more kids to choose from on all sports, not just football. Huge enrollment differences is a large part of the problem now. That is why 5 classifications is needed to equal opportunity for all schools and have leagues with “like size” enrollments. Need like size schools and no more than 8 in a conference.

Fair enough.

Make it 4 classifications with 4a being 2250 and up.

But thats it! 4 classifications with 4 real state champions. Boom!

Even crazier is 300 vs 650. That's 150 males and that's counting almost 40 freshman.
With 1500 you will at least have some good athletes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT