SEEDING | May 9
1st ROUND | May 10
2nd ROUND | May 13
3rd ROUND | May 17
4th ROUND | May 20
REGIONALS | May 24-28
STATES | Jun 3-4

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Here's the breakdown of conference bids per teams in conference.
qualifiers

Automatic Qualification​

• Each conference will be allotted playoff berths based on the number of schools fielding a team in a particular sport
    • 1-5 Teams = 1 Berth (Conference Champion)
    • 6+ Teams = 2 Berths (Conference Champion + 2nd Place or Conference Tournament Champion)
  • The highest finishing team from a given classification in a split conference will automatically qualify, regardless of overall conference finish (minimum of 2 schools per classification)
  • Addition of RPI rating to Handbook for conference tie-breaking procedure as the final tiebreaker
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Wildcards​

The remaining non-automatic teams in each region (East/West) will fill the remaining berths based solely upon their RPI rating.

Seeding​

• Conference champions will be seeded before any other qualifying teams by RPI rating
    • All other teams will be seeded after the conference champions by RPI rating of the school, regardless of conference finish
    • Each region (East/West) will be seeded independently of one another, utilizing the RPI rating of the school
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happens if two (2) teams are tied in the final RPI standings?
There is a tiebreaker for this unlikely scenario.
It is as follows:

1. Head-to-head results between the tied teams
  2. Overall Winning percentage
  3. Opponents’ winning percentage
  4. Opponents’ opponents winning percentage
  5. Highest-rated win (according to the final RPI standings)
  6. Next-highest rated win (exhaust all possibilities)
  7. Draw

Last edited:
Just curious….under the “AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS” section…it says the highest qualifiers per classification… in a split conference….automaticly qualify regardless of finish as long as there is 2 teams per classification.

Wouldn’t that mean the “Super Six” or “Mid-Carolina” or even the PAC 7 1a….would have a team in the playoffs?

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
Just curios….under the “AUTOMATIC QUALIFIERS” section…it says the highest qualifiers per classification… in a split conference….automaticly qualify regardless of finish as long as there is 2 teams per classification.

Wouldn’t that mean the “Super Six” or “Mid-Carolina” or even the PAC 7 1a….would have a team in the playoffs?
You are probably right! I check my calculations?? I'm thinking in a split conference that both teams must be in the top 3 and a .500% overall record.

Is a team from a split conference automatically seeded with the 1 seeds or do they have to finish in the top half of the standings?

My understanding of split conferences is…

the highest finisher per classification qualifies regardless of overall finish as long as there are 2 teams per classification in that conference.

If that team finishes .500 or better…that team would be seeded with conference champions.

This is my interpretation of what I have read only. I could be wrong.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
4.1.19 Seeding:
(a) The pre-determined East and West Regions will be seeded independently of one another.
(b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows: (1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).
NOTE: The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher in order to be seeded as a #1. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams. (2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths or conference tournament champions and at-large berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).

4.1.19 Seeding:
(a) The pre-determined East and West Regions will be seeded independently of one another.
(b) The teams in each region will be seeded as follows: (1) Seed all 1st place automatic berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).
NOTE: The highest finishing team in its half of a split conference must finish in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place overall and/or have an overall winning percentage of .500 or higher in order to be seeded as a #1. Otherwise, the team will be seeded with all other at-large teams. (2) Seed all 2nd place automatic berths or conference tournament champions and at-large berths by RPI rating (or other NCHSAA selected ranking system).
Thanks @Hon Dines

Reactions: Hon Dines
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT