ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA adopts more inclusive language for transgender, home school students

mhs95

Sep 7, 2017
Just wow...

https://www.highschoolot.com/nchsaa...or-transgender-home-school-students/18358832/

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — The N.C. High School Athletic Association Board of Directors voted to approve a transgender inclusion policy for high school athletics in North Carolina.

The policy states that students may play sports based on the gender listed on the student's birth certificate. However, students who identify as a gender other than the one on their birth certificate have a course of action to become eligible to play sports based on the student's gender identity.

Students who identify as a different gender must submit a Gender Identity Request Form to the NCHSAA prior to participation in any sport that could be deemed ineligible by the NCHSAA.

"The request should be based on the gender identification of that student in current school records and daily life activities in the school and community," the policy reads.

The student must submit documentation that lists parents or legal guardians, friends, and/or teachers to "affirm that the actions, attitudes, and manner demonstrate the student's consistent gender identification."

Students must also submit a complete list of treatments or medications relative to gender identity, a complete list of interventions that have happened as it relates to the gender identity of the student, and written verification from a healthcare professional of the student's gender identification.

Once the Gender Identity Request Form is received, it will be referred to the NCHSAA Gender Identity Committee for consideration.

"The Committee will approve the request if it finds that the student genuinely identifies as the gender indicated in the request," the policy says.

NCHSAA opens door for home school participation
Home school students in North Carolina can now play high school sports at public schools.

The NCHSAA Board of Directors approved language on Wednesday morning allowing home school students to play sports at the school in which the student is assigned by the local board of education.

Home school students must be dually enrolled as a home school student and a student at the public school though. These students must submit documentation indicating dual enrollment, immunization, transcript, school number, etc.

"Home school students must communicate athletic intent at a member school in which they are domiciled and follow the enrollment and assignment procedures/policies established by the local board of education," the policy says.

A notice to the principal must occur within ten days of the first day of practice in each sports season.

HighSchoolOT.com's Nick Stevens is at the Board of Directors meeting in Chapel Hill and will have much more information soon.

Just wow...

https://www.highschoolot.com/nchsaa...or-transgender-home-school-students/18358832/

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — The N.C. High School Athletic Association Board of Directors voted to approve a transgender inclusion policy for high school athletics in North Carolina.

The policy states that students may play sports based on the gender listed on the student's birth certificate. However, students who identify as a gender other than the one on their birth certificate have a course of action to become eligible to play sports based on the student's gender identity.

Students who identify as a different gender must submit a Gender Identity Request Form to the NCHSAA prior to participation in any sport that could be deemed ineligible by the NCHSAA.

"The request should be based on the gender identification of that student in current school records and daily life activities in the school and community," the policy reads.

The student must submit documentation that lists parents or legal guardians, friends, and/or teachers to "affirm that the actions, attitudes, and manner demonstrate the student's consistent gender identification."

Students must also submit a complete list of treatments or medications relative to gender identity, a complete list of interventions that have happened as it relates to the gender identity of the student, and written verification from a healthcare professional of the student's gender identification.

Once the Gender Identity Request Form is received, it will be referred to the NCHSAA Gender Identity Committee for consideration.

"The Committee will approve the request if it finds that the student genuinely identifies as the gender indicated in the request," the policy says.

NCHSAA opens door for home school participation
Home school students in North Carolina can now play high school sports at public schools.

The NCHSAA Board of Directors approved language on Wednesday morning allowing home school students to play sports at the school in which the student is assigned by the local board of education.

Home school students must be dually enrolled as a home school student and a student at the public school though. These students must submit documentation indicating dual enrollment, immunization, transcript, school number, etc.

"Home school students must communicate athletic intent at a member school in which they are domiciled and follow the enrollment and assignment procedures/policies established by the local board of education," the policy says.

A notice to the principal must occur within ten days of the first day of practice in each sports season.

HighSchoolOT.com's Nick Stevens is at the Board of Directors meeting in Chapel Hill and will have much more information soon.
Anyone know the definition of “dually enrolled”? Where does the money go? What about test scores, graduation rates, etc..? Those can be mportant, especially to small school systems.

Pisgah and OAR, exactly. I have found the politician that is patting you on the back and asking about the local football team is also voting for private school vouchers and charter school expansion.

I do not have an issue overall with charters as they can serve a purpose. May be somewhat sensible in urban areas but with the removal of the limits on the number of charter schools it has hit the small town and community schools. Also, I scratch my head that for profit companies are involved in establishing these.

Pisgah and OAR, exactly. I have found the politician that is patting you on the back and asking about the local football team is also voting for private school vouchers and charter school expansion.

I do not have an issue overall with charters as they can serve a purpose. May be somewhat sensible in urban areas but with the removal of the limits on the number of charter schools it has hit the small town and community schools. Also, I scratch my head that for profit companies are involved in establishing these.
And now they plan to remove the limit on “virtual” charter schools. Even though the performance of the existing ones is questionable.

So we should vote for murder instead?

Well while you're distracted by abortion, the state legislature is destroying the schools you love. Which is why they distract you with things like abortion. Pay attention to what really goes on in Raleigh and realize any abortion law made will be struck down by a higher court for being unconstitutional. You don't have to agree with abortion but you also must realize it's an issue states are wasting time addressing. Once again pay attention to what goes on in Raleigh or you won't be able to enjoy your Robbinsville football much longer.

As much as i love football I'd have to say goodbye I guess. The cases will eventually make it to the supreme court. Thats what the states are shooting for. So pay attention to whats going on, its bigger than states.

So we should vote for murder instead?
No, perhaps you can get off your butt and contact your state legislator about their position on charters, otherwise don’t bother to get on here and complain about them.

Keep buying their distractions. Meanwhile the legislatures fighting so hard to end abortion, they're daughters will still have access to it while others will be forced to give birth in a world in which that Republican legislator doesn't care about the child after birth and destroys their chance for a quality education. You're not going to stop abortion. Just abortions for the lower and middle class.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pisgah Bears
I hate I'm late to this thread. This post is fantastic and true.

I hate I'm late to this thread. This post is fantastic and true.

As much as i love football I'd have to say goodbye I guess. The cases will eventually make it to the supreme court. Thats what the states are shooting for. So pay attention to whats going on, its bigger than states.
What has the state GOP done to stop abortions?

Keep buying their distractions. Meanwhile the legislatures fighting so hard to end abortion, they're daughters will still have access to it while others will be forced to give birth in a world in which that Republican educator doesn't care about the child after birth and destroys their chance for a quality education. You're not going to stop abortion. Just abortions for the lower and middle class.
Not sure I understand the point here. Bringing charter schools and school choice into low income areas has brought more quality to the education and gives low income families a choice. Are you suggesting low income families are unable to choose for themselves? Although charters and early college has taken a toll on the athletics, I dont think there is a argument to be made that it has hurt the quality of education.

Not sure I understand the point here. Bringing charter schools and school choice into low income areas has brought more quality to the education and gives low income families a choice. Are you suggesting low income families are unable to choose for themselves? Although charters and early college has taken a toll on the athletics, I dont think there is a argument to be made that it has hurt the quality of education.

Where are the bulk are charters at? It seems to be very few are being put in low income areas. Especially in the western part of the state. I have no issue with charter schools. I have issue with the way the state is handling the whole process.

Where are the bulk are charters at? It seems to be very few are being put in low income areas. Especially in the western part of the state. I have no issue with charter schools. I have issue with the way the state is handling the whole process.
Ok, I think there is one key point you may be missing here. The local county legislature has the power to allow charters in the county. State legislature has provided a Avenue and funding. If the issue is Charters not being in your area you can point directly to the local school board, which locals have the power to change.

Ok, I think there is one key point you may be missing here. The local county legislature has the power to allow charters in the county. State legislature has provided a Avenue and funding. If the issue is Charters not being in your area you can point directly to the local school board, which locals have the power to change.
Just to add, the problems charter schools present public athletics is a NCSHAA issue not a state legislature issue. Unfortunatly we are at the mercy of the NCSHAA (big voice in the sky) and its bylaws.

Just to add, the problems charter schools present public athletics is a NCSHAA issue not a state legislature issue. Unfortunatly we are at the mercy of the NCSHAA (big voice in the sky) and its bylaws.

The legislature will not let the NCHSAA do anything about charters. They have no choice but to let them participate since thet are technically public schools. Charters are big money machines in many instances for someone. Follow the money.

The legislature will not let the NCHSAA do anything about charters. They have no choice but to let them participate since thet are technically public schools. Charters are big money machines in many instances for someone. Follow the money.
That's not how it works. NCSHAA has bylaws that have to be voted on by each school in the association. If a school doesnt vote it is considered a nay (no) vote. Each school has a voice and would take 75% of the vote to change a bylaw. State Legislation has no authority. The only reason Charter schools and private schools exist in NCSHAA is because the schools in the association simply didn't vote. If the schools in the state would have simply voted than I'm sure charters and privates wouldnt exist in the NCSHAA. So once again it falls on local government and local schools. Look inward not outwards.

Edgecombe county (Tarboro) is about as low income as it gets in the state. Local officials made a choice in charter schools. I personally dont like what it does to high school athletics and have been very vocal about that. I do support low income families in the area to have a choice.

Last edited:
That's not how it works. NCSHAA has bylaws that have to be voted on by each school in the association. If a school doesnt vote it is considered a nay (no) vote. Each school has a voice and would take 75% of the vote to change a bylaw. State Legislation has no authority. The only reason Charter schools and private schools exist in NCSHAA is because the schools in the association simply didn't vote. If the schools in the state would have simply voted than I'm sure charters and privates wouldnt exist in the NCSHAA. So once again it falls on local government and local schools. Look inward not outwards.

I know how the NCHSAA by laws process works and I am well aware that the 3A and 4A schools did not vote when they tried to stop it one time. I am also aware that when the subject was breached again shortly after the NCHSAA was told to leave charter schools alone. It's a large can of worms.

I know how the NCHSAA by laws process works and I am well aware that the 3A and 4A schools did not vote when they tried to stop it one time. I am also aware that when the subject was breached again shortly after the NCHSAA was told to leave charter schools alone. It's a large can of worms.
I agree, its definately complicated. I feel the more success they have in athletics over normal public schools the better the chances something is done. I think it would be easy to do for the NCSHAA to incorporate a formula to take into account adm numbers from the charter and the affected local public school.

I know how the NCHSAA by laws process works and I am well aware that the 3A and 4A schools did not vote when they tried to stop it one time.
If you know this, than you are aware that the 3A and 4A didn't get the support from 2A and 1A when they tried to keep private schools out long before charters were even thought of. Its 75% of 400 some odd schools, plenty of blame to go around.

The State Board of Education approves charter school applications. A local "legislature" is involved when the local government under that boards governance such as a municipality (see Matthews in Meck County) applies for a charter school.

I do not understand the school board involvement. Can you please explain how the local school board has any involvement in application, approval, or management of a charter when the charter is founded and ran by a non government entity.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
I agree, its definately complicated. I feel the more success they have in athletics over normal public schools the better the chances something is done. I think it would be easy to do for the NCSHAA to incorporate a formula to take into account adm numbers from the charter and the affected local public school.

I can assure you the NCHSAA has been told "hands off" on charter schools. Treat them exactly like a traditional school which we know in 1A is a very questionable entity in many places.

About seven years ago I was told a legislator from eastern NC wanted home school athletes to be allowed to play sports. The first push on it was the player could select a school and go play. There was pushback and it eventually went away. I was told by a state administrator that it would be back and it would be implemented as it was viewed as a legislative pet just as charters are. Home schoolers can now play at their home district school under the LEAs guidelines.

I am pretty confident the last vote on removing schools from the NCHSAA was directed at the three Parochial schools only. Had nothing to do with charter schools. Charlotte Meck Schools supported the Parochial schools so whether they voted or not their vote or non vote counted as they wished. I really believe that this should be somewhat of a classification thing but as I have tried to explain to people, voting out charters still leaves an urban magnet or a traditional school that has many players that do not live in their district playing sports. The problem is now bigger than charters.

David Gentry (Murphy head coach) fought hard for a resolution on charters when he was on the board. He was basically shunned. I told Coach Gentry that he was fighting an entity bigger than the NCHSAA BOD.

Charters are an issue. No one paid attention and then they were winning state titles and then dominating 1A sports. The legislature then removed the cap for number of charters and they are more dominant in 1A sports. I believe it will take a charter winning a 1A football title for any changes to occur and that point it will require the 1A schools to draw a line in the sand and for them to look at leaving the NCHSAA. They would not support of their legislators but we know the problem is that most of the politicians are for school choice and charters.

I can assure you the NCHSAA has been told "hands off" on charter schools. Treat them exactly like a traditional school which we know in 1A is a very questionable entity in many places.

About seven years ago I was told a legislator from eastern NC wanted home school athletes to be allowed to play sports. The first push on it was the player could select a school and go play. There was pushback and it eventually went away. I was told by a state administrator that it would be back and it would be implemented as it was viewed as a legislative pet just as charters are. Home schoolers can now play at their home district school under the LEAs guidelines.

I am pretty confident the last vote on removing schools from the NCHSAA was directed at the three Parochial schools only. Had nothing to do with charter schools. Charlotte Meck Schools supported the Parochial schools so whether they voted or not their vote or non vote counted as they wished. I really believe that this should be somewhat of a classification thing but as I have tried to explain to people, voting out charters still leaves an urban magnet or a traditional school that has many players that do not live in their district playing sports. The problem is now bigger than charters.

David Gentry (Murphy head coach) fought hard for a resolution on charters when he was on the board. He was basically shunned. I told Coach Gentry that he was fighting an entity bigger than the NCHSAA BOD.

Charters are an issue. No one paid attention and then they were winning state titles and then dominating 1A sports. The legislature then removed the cap for number of charters and they are more dominant in 1A sports. I believe it will take a charter winning a 1A football title for any changes to occur and that point it will require the 1A schools to draw a line in the sand and for them to look at leaving the NCHSAA. They would not support of their legislators but we know the problem is that most of the politicians are for school choice and charters.
Thank you Btango. I always appreciate your input.

The State Board of Education approves charter school applications. A local "legislature" is involved when the local government under that boards governance such as a municipality (see Matthews in Meck County) applies for a charter school.

I do not understand the school board involvement. Can you please explain how the local school board has any involvement in application, approval, or management of a charter when the charter is founded and ran by a non government entity.
That is correct I was putting it in simple terms. There are counties in the east where the county board votes on whether to submit the application to the state board. I know this was voted down in Bertie county twice. Any time state and local taxes are used (which is exactly where some funding comes from) for charter schools, it has to be voted on by each respective board, state and local. Then the charter school votes an independant board to handle the non for profit side of funding. Alot of this money comes from local businesses and trust funds. Its when taxes come in where state and local government have oversight. If a community wants a charter school, the avenues of local government is where it starts.

Last edited:
That is correct I was putting it in simple terms. There are counties in the east where the county board votes on whether to submit the application to the state board. I know this was voted down in Bertie county twice. Any time state and local taxes are used (which is exactly where some funding comes from) for charter schools, it has to be voted on by each respective board, state and local. Then the charter school votes an independant board to handle the non for profit side of funding. Alot of this money comes from local businesses and trust funds. Its when taxes come in where state and local government have oversight. If a community wants a charter school, the avenues of local government is where it starts.
Davidson County has three school systems, Lexington, Thomasville, and Davidson County. The first charter school opened in Davidson County last year. I don't recall any of the three systems' boards voting on the issue. I attend most meetings of the Thomasville board, and never heard it mentioned.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
Davidson County has three school systems, Lexington, Thomasville, and Davidson County. The first charter school opened in Davidson County last year. I don't recall any of the three systems' boards voting on the issue. I attend most meetings of the Thomasville board, and never heard it mentioned.
Did they allocate ANY city/municipality/or county funds? This may be the difference if the non profit allocates all the funding.

We have charter schools in Columbus County,doesn't effect sports,but hurts our per student money leaving the County system going to the charter schools.

Did they allocate ANY city/municipality/or county funds? This may be the difference if the non profit allocates all the funding.

I am not that in tune to this part and I although I am sure there may be some I have not heard of a charter being approved by local government nor getting funding to start the school except in a few cases where the municipality was breaking away from the count school sytsem (Charlotte Mecklenurg). Once the school is established and in session the school system of the students enrolled at the charter lose the money from the state and local (and federal) governments for that student's allotment (example: Thomasville $1,200).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT