ADVERTISEMENT

NC Athletes

PlayTom

Jul 10, 2022
Given all the issues school boards are facing with students and athletes using vape pens, or cannabis in general, why are these athletes not being subjected to drug testing and why is it not a conversation of concern?

Given all the issues school boards are facing with students and athletes using vape pens, or cannabis in general, why are these athletes not being subjected to drug testing and why is it not a conversation of concern?
$$$$$. Plus many believe that if you have random testing, it should apply to all extracurricular activities, not just sports.

Some athletes are subject in some districts.

But it's $$$ and I think we have bigger things to worry about and better ways money should be spent.

Last edited:
Enough with the drug testing in all aspects of life, certainly not for High School students or athletes. We have men playing women's sports but we want to worry about a teenager smoking pot? I've faced urinalysis ever since I turned 19 in my career and I'm now age 61. Can't wait till I retire and no longer subjected to drug screening. I dont even do drugs just tired of the invasive testing. It doesn't do anybody any good, it just cost companies money and often puts otherwise good, sound employees out of a job.

Reactions: daletec
Enough with the drug testing in all aspects of life, certainly not for High School students or athletes. We have men playing women's sports but we want to worry about a teenager smoking pot? I've faced urinalysis ever since I turned 19 in my career and I'm now age 61. Can't wait till I retire and no longer subjected to drug screening. I dont even do drugs just tired of the invasive testing. It doesn't do anybody any good, it just cost companies money and often puts otherwise good, sound employees out of a job.
Often puts otherwise good, sound employees that have always broken company rules for years and high as a kite by choice out of a job.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Im fine with doing this but you better drug test every band member, chess club member, drama club member, heck I say go ahead and drug test any kid that drives there own car to school. Don't just do it to atheletes

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Im fine with doing this but you better drug test every band member, chess club member, drama club member, heck I say go ahead and drug test any kid that drives there own car to school. Don't just do it to atheletes
I believe that's how most counties do it - for those that drug test.

Reactions: beamer24
Total BS. Invasion of privacy. People who support drug testing of High School athletes or students likely support speed cameras and will in the future oppose any human operation of any personal vehicle when FSD autonomous driving comes about.

Total BS. Invasion of privacy. People who support drug testing of High School athletes or students likely support speed cameras and will in the future oppose any human operation of any personal vehicle when FSD autonomous driving comes about.
While I agree with you in theory that none should be tested can see testing for athletic performance enhancing drugs. Not recreational. Was told by a coach at a local CMS school that a great majority of players come to practice high and its more rare that they have not smoked than that they had. Just part of the game. He said vaping amongst all students regardless of sports, or academics is super high and that the smoke before during, and after school. Just too hard to police.

Imagine is we randomly drug tested at work, church, or socially. LOL. The results would be crazy. But di agree with sports related drug testing to keep athletes safe and make sure no cheating going on. The band guy smoking weed aint getting better at his horn by smoking. LOL

While I agree with you in theory that none should be tested can see testing for athletic performance enhancing drugs. Not recreational. Was told by a coach at a local CMS school that a great majority of players come to practice high and its more rare that they have not smoked than that they had. Just part of the game. He said vaping amongst all students regardless of sports, or academics is super high and that the smoke before during, and after school. Just too hard to police.

Imagine is we randomly drug tested at work, church, or socially. LOL. The results would be crazy. But di agree with sports related drug testing to keep athletes safe and make sure no cheating going on. The band guy smoking weed aint getting better at his horn by smoking. LOL
I don't know, weed might be a performance enhancing drug for the horn guy.

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24
True. Just saying it wont impact anyone else like sports performance enhancers. LOL
What list are you going off of? The NFL/NBA/MLB banned substances? Is there going to be a new "committee" created to do the list and keep it up to date? Who's paying for that? Who's going to educate these kids that they can't consume certain items because it may show up on a drug test (even though it's not their fault)? You expect the kids to run everything by the coaches?

Basically anything that isn't FDA approved or approved through a private firm, that is approved by that league, to validate the label is prohibited in the major sports. The major athletes and colleges have teams of people that approve what they eat, medications they can take, etc. All that pre-workout, proteins, (majority of items sold at GNC), energy drinks etc. that these kids take could make them fail a drug test.

I'm not against drug testing for performance enhancing items, I just think it is a lot more in-depth than "let's test these kids". Is the goal just to test for anabolic steroids or a more in-depth testing?

Reactions: Middle Sound Heel
What list are you going off of? The NFL/NBA/MLB banned substances? Is there going to be a new "committee" created to do the list and keep it up to date? Who's paying for that? Who's going to educate these kids that they can't consume certain items because it may show up on a drug test (even though it's not their fault)? You expect the kids to run everything by the coaches?

Basically anything that isn't FDA approved or approved through a private firm, that is approved by that league, to validate the label is prohibited in the major sports. The major athletes and colleges have teams of people that approve what they eat, medications they can take, etc. All that pre-workout, proteins, (majority of items sold at GNC), energy drinks etc. that these kids take could make them fail a drug test.

I'm not against drug testing for performance enhancing items, I just think it is a lot more in-depth than "let's test these kids". Is the goal just to test for anabolic steroids or a more in-depth testing?
Not for drug testing athletes or general student body at all. Unless there is a serious issue or behavioral or crime reason to do so. Do think we need to do something about drug prevention in HS.

True, invasion of privacy refers to their private personal lives. So you're suggesting that kids are allowed to carry a knife and a weapon to school at that point or else its invading their personal life? LOL. This is not personal life, but rather these are athletes that colleges are going to invest time on film to look at. Why should universities invest more time and resources in a gifted student who is high on drugs than in a student who is passing every class and shows no indications of disruption or illicit substance use?

You're making no sense :D

Imagine is we randomly drug tested at work, church, or socially. LOL. The results would be crazy. But di agree with sports related drug testing to keep athletes safe and make sure no cheating going on. The band guy smoking weed aint getting better at his horn by
True, invasion of privacy refers to their private personal lives. So you're suggesting that kids are allowed to carry a knife and a weapon to school at that point or else its invading their personal life? LOL. This is not personal life, but rather these are athletes that colleges are going to invest time on film to look at. Why should universities invest more time and resources in a gifted student who is high on drugs than in a student who is passing every class and shows no indications of disruption or illicit substance use?

No it has absolutely ZERO to do with violence or the threat of violence. You are absolutely paranoid. It is when you boil it down the control, absolute control, that forces you to take out your penis, display it a semi controlled environment and urinate in in front of another male (monitor), which in normal context you would never ever do, all under the the condition that your job and livelihood depends upon complying with said directive and said lab results of urinalysis, no matter how well your job performance to date has been but simply because your SSN ends in digit 5 for example

No you are absolutely wrong. 100 percent. You are absolutely taking a major flaw in privacy ( urinalysis , whether legal or unlawful) under the guise of safety and suggesting that without said detection of a positive urinalysis result in testing leads to a a student bringing knife to school and killing other ( granted please detect sarcasm by me, just raising a point, nothing personal). But it goes in line with a safety culture that in its conception was maybe and likely well intentioned but has ZERO justification in having a teenage football player even remotely expose his penis to an adult urinalysis monitor whether accredited or not by the school board. As you can tell my argument is not so much about any individual or particular school board but just ever increasing restrictions on personal freedoms and privacy all justified Increasingly under the guise of "public safety"

No you are absolutely wrong. 100 percent. You are absolutely taking a major flaw in privacy ( urinalysis , whether legal or unlawful) under the guise of safety and suggesting that without said detection of a positive urinalysis result in testing leads to a a student bringing knife to school and killing other ( granted please detect sarcasm by me, just raising a point, nothing personal). But it goes in line with a safety culture that in its conception was maybe and likely well intentioned but has ZERO justification in having a teenage football player even remotely expose his penis to an adult urinalysis monitor whether accredited or not by the school board. As you can tell my argument is not so much about any individual or particular school board but just ever increasing restrictions on personal freedoms and privacy all justified Increasingly under the guise of "public safety"
LOL
You're lost. A random drug test conducted on student athletes is not considered a privacy breach, according to the United States Supreme Court. Its interpretation of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution that covers this. The drug testing policy for high school students will vary by school district. This is because the school district governs the school. Before playing, student-athletes often sign a consent form. This form says they agree to get tested. The athlete might face punishments or sanctions if there's a positive drug test.

If the penalty for a positive test for a performance-enhancing or street drug are strict in college why not set the high school level kids for success by creating an environment of understanding.

So an All American, all state High School QB , otherwise not been accused or convicted of breaking any laws whatsoever, you are totally okay of him losing his scholarship when revealed he tested positive for Marijuana on a state mandated drug test?

So an All American, all state High School QB , otherwise not been accused or convicted of breaking any laws whatsoever, you are totally okay of him losing his scholarship when revealed he tested positive for Marijuana on a state mandated drug test?
Q: was this his choice?

LOL
You're lost. A random drug test conducted on student athletes is not considered a privacy breach, according to the United States Supreme Court. Its interpretation of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution that covers this. The drug testing policy for high school students will vary by school district. This is because the school district governs the school. Before playing, student-athletes often sign a consent form. This form says they agree to get tested. The athlete might face punishments or sanctions if there's a positive drug test.

If the penalty for a positive test for a performance-enhancing or street drug are strict in college why not set the high school level kids for success by creating an environment of understanding.
It is an invasion of privacy whether you agree with it or not, or even if the Supreme Court agrees with it ot not. You are literally exposing your penis to an "observer" in the act of surrendering a bodily fluid.

No dog in fight. But the Supreme Court ruled that college drug testing by institutions is legal. Colleges suspend/reprimand for failed drug test. Do you feel same way about college athletes?

Q: was this his choice?
It's not a choice no. Just like you had the "choice" to not take the covid vaccine to keep your job. Yeah that's some "choice ". Get real man. All "choises" you take are not on your own free will but forced upon you under the guise of public safety. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.

It's not a choice no. Just like you had the "choice" to not take the covid vaccine to keep your job. Yeah that's some "choice ". Get real man. All "choises" you take are not on your own free will but forced upon you under the guise of public safety. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.
You're in the Twilight Zone

No dog in fight. But the Supreme Court ruled that college drug testing by institutions is legal. Colleges suspend/reprimand for failed drug test. Do you feel same way about college athletes?
I dont support drug testing on any level. But yes to your main point I do think your point is geared towards PED on the Olympic and high level of competition which is understandable I still dont support it But come on man we are going to rule out High School kids or even college kids because they smoked a joint?

Okay .Then let's have your urine sample submitted tomorrow for the sake of my my satisfaction and the interest of public safety. But wait you say why does anybody care about MY urine sample?
LOL
Once again you're lost but I will entertain this topic. I gave me uring every month for over 20 years and I had no issue or concern with it.

What else?

LOL
Once again you're lost but I will entertain this topic. I gave me uring every month for over 20 years and I had no issue or concern with it.

What else?
I'm also drug free. And like I said have been subject to urinalysis for the last 43 years. However it doesn't make it right and to pretend like it's a "choice" as you have implied is not correct or justified. I recognize drugs for what they are , simply bad. But if I do my job correctly and professionally, which I always do, why am I subject to urinalysis? My point isn't really a personal argument with you, forgive me if I come across as insulting with you. But I am against drug testing as a whole in any aspect of life. Obviously you disagree with me. But taking this a level further down to High School students and athletes as to to origin of this thread just takes the topic to another level.

LOL

What else?
If nothing else wasn't it not a pain in the ass? Just because you did it do you think it was really a necessary or good thing? In my 20 years in the Military and since my 23 years post Military which I'm still having to provide random urine nothing worse than having to stand in line of up to 100 or so people and wait to do something that I hated to do in the first place in providing a urine sample. Particularly when I had drank water or coffee to ensure I could provide sample when I reached the urine monitor after I reached front of line.

Honest question: Has anybody ever known or experienced a situation where in that an otherwise average or well efficient shop or office work environment actually "improved" in productivity or morale wise after an otherwise capable worker was let go because said worker failed a random drug test?

If nothing else wasn't it not a pain in the ass? Just because you did it do you think it was really a necessary or good thing? In my 20 years in the Military and since my 23 years post Military which I'm still having to provide random urine nothing worse than having to stand in line of up to 100 or so people and wait to do something that I hated to do in the first place in providing a urine sample. Particularly when I had drank water or coffee to ensure I could provide sample when I reached the urine monitor after I reached front of line.
You signed the dotted line. Man you're National Guard.

Back in line with original post, if you catch kids with possession of pot or drugs on school grounds, suspend or expell them by all means. But drug testing in High School , absolutely not.

Reactions: AmosAlonzoStagg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT