ADVERTISEMENT

My Breakdown of what 8 Classes Could be if they'd quit playing around

Nice work. I know that takes a lot of effort, but you've done really well. The Currituck/First Flight problem is a tough one, I don't see another way to solve it other than what you've done. I just wonder how they determine playoffs with that scenario.
Rpi is an even scale for everyone...it'll sort it out. Harder question would be how to determine conference champion qualifying.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Anything that takes Clinton , WRH , and ED out of the running to meet in the playoffs just don’t work for me.

The conference with McDowell, Freedom, S. Caldwell, Watauga, Hickory, St. Stephens and Alexander Central would be great-contiguous with all of the schools having a history against each other. Good facilities except for the gyms at Saint and S. Caldwell, which are both awful.

The conference with McDowell, Freedom, S. Caldwell, Watauga, Hickory, St. Stephens and Alexander Central would be great-contiguous with all of the schools having a history against each other. Good facilities except for the gyms at Saint and S. Caldwell, which are both awful.
I didn't have together initially, but looking at it more it seemed best to pair them like that. Glad you like it.

I imagine they'll use next year's ADMs so in the fall but I'm not sure
They said they would use October 2024 ADM’s. So expect the first draft to come out shortly after that. Remember they eliminated the lame duck year. This used to be the realignment year and then it wouldn’t go into effect for a whole other year and three months after it was passed. That’s why you saw teams like Burns who just barely had 3A numbers in 2015 have to play 3A for 2 more years because that was the numbers they went off of to realign and by the time the conferences went into effect in 2017 we had 2A numbers.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
That is really good work. However, I wonder if they could even create something like this since the by-law said, classification based solely on ADM. The enrollment differences in the non FB playing schools is pretty drastic, I can see that being a hang up in other sports.

That is really good work. However, I wonder if they could even create something like this since the by-law said, classification based solely on ADM. The enrollment differences in the non FB playing schools is pretty drastic, I can see that being a hang up in other sports.
Only 6 schools above 600 adm. They for sure could go 1A 1AA for playoffs...have 32 make it...split to 2 16 team fields off adm and then split 8east and 8west.

How did Freedom end up with almost 1600 kids again ? 😳

Burns and Shelby would basically be joining the Mountain Foothills sans Brevard and Patton.
I don't expect anyone to understand the peculiarities of Burke County politics/demographics so I'll see if I can explain this one.
About 20 years ago the school board decided we needed a third HS. Freedom had almost 2500 kids and E. Burke was at around 1700 (these are my recollections). But when they decided that the new HS would be just east of Morganton the people in Valdese threw a fit. They said that they had been promised "their own school" since consolidation and they wouldn't support a new school that wasn't in Valdese.
So, a compromise was worked out to build Patton to take the FHS excess and to split the E. Burke crew as best they could between E. Burke and Draughn (Draughn is only kinda sorta "in Valdese", but close enough).
But that whole "their own school" business implies that you can't make kids drive past one school to get to another, so each school serves a particular area with Freedom serving the western part of the county, which is the biggest part both geographically and in terms of population.
We've had a lot of people move to western Burke County recently, driving up property prices and I have personally seen a lot of new home construction near where I live. Many people have found that they can drive for less than an hour to work in Asheville and have a lot more house for the same price. When I refinanced my home to take advantage of interest rates, the loan officer told me that he had dealt with someone who worked in Asheville and commuted who was able to allow his wife to stay home, commute, own their home and still have more money than living in Asheville.
So, we have a lot more kids than the other schools, who draw from a smaller area with fewer people. We built facilities for a large student population in the 90s, so there is more than enough room.

They said they would use October 2024 ADM’s. So expect the first draft to come out shortly after that. Remember they eliminated the lame duck year. This used to be the realignment year and then it wouldn’t go into effect for a whole other year and three months after it was passed. That’s why you saw teams like Burns who just barely had 3A numbers in 2015 have to play 3A for 2 more years because that was the numbers they went off of to realign and by the time the conferences went into effect in 2017 we had 2A numbers.
I didn't know they took out that year in between release and going into effect.

This is what the playoffs would have looked like this year with 8 classes. Since conferences are much more jumbled up here...I used RPI as the indicator of conference finish. In split conferences...you had to have finished 1, 2, or 3 to be seeded as a champion, everyone else seeded based off RPI.

2A
1TarboroRobbinsville1
16Pamlico CountyCherokee16
8BertieMurphy8
9LakewoodHayesville9
--------------------
4Bear Grass CharterStarmount4
13Warren CountyAlbemarle13
5PerquimansMitchell5
12Gates CountyChrist the King12
--------------------
--------------------
2West ColumbusCS of Davidson2
15Northampton CountyBishop McGuinness15
7Southeast HalifaxSwain County7
10RosewoodAlleghany10
--------------------
3Northside - PinetownNorth Rowan3
14HobbtonCorvian Community14
6North DuplinMountain Island Charter6
11East BladenEast Wilkes11

3A
1NortheasternMount Airy1
16Camden CountyEast Rutherford16
8LouisburgPine Lake Prep8
9PrincetonThomasville9
--------------------
4WhitevilleShelby4
13HolmesChase13
5Farmville CentralWest Lincoln5
12James KenanProvidence Grove12
--------------------
--------------------
2Wallace-Rose HillEastern Randolph2
15Heide TraskTrinity15
7NorthwoodDraughn7
10MidwayEast Surry10
--------------------
3Hertford CountyMountain Heritage3
14Martin CountyLincolnton14
6Southwest OnslowNorth Stanly6
11BeddingfieldNorth Moore11

4A
1ClintonForest Hills1
16Red SpringsMount Pleasant16
8East DuplinBrevard8
9RandlemanMaiden9
--------------------
4West CravenLedford4
13Southeast AlamanceCentral Davidson13
5CummingsBurns5
12North PittAnson12
--------------------
--------------------
2ReidsvilleBunker Hill2
15Roanoke RapidsTuscola15
7South GranvilleAshe County7
10Southwestern RandolphEast Gaston10
--------------------
3SouthWest EdgecombePisgah3
14McMichaelSmoky Mountain14
6Eastern WayneWest Stokes6
11T.W. AndrewsNorth Surry11

Reactions: Maiden Creek
5A
1HavelockCrest1
16Southern WayneErwin16
8Western AlamanceNorthwest Cabarrus8
9HuntStatesville9
--------------------
4C.B. AycockMonroe4
13Rocky MountWest Rowan13
5RichlandsRobinson5
12West CarteretHibriten12
--------------------
--------------------
2Eastern AlamanceWest Henderson2
15CroatanNorth Gaston15
7Nash CentralOak Grove7
10FikeSouth Point10
--------------------
3Northern NashSalisbury3
14Northeast GuilfordNorth Henderson14
6Currituck CountyNorth Lincoln6
11Rockingham CountyEast Lincoln11

6A
1Southern AlamanceHickory1
16OrangeSoutheast Guilford16
8Southern LeeT.C. Roberson8
9WilliamsCharlotte Catholic9
--------------------
4Vance CountyA.C. Reynolds4
13Terry SanfordNorthern Guilford13
5South ViewSun Valley5
12PersonAshbrook12
--------------------
--------------------
2Southern NashKings Mountain2
15Gray's CreekGlenn15
7J.H. RoseEastern Guilford7
10White OakAlexander Central10
--------------------
3JacksonvilleDudley3
14St. PaulsFranklin14
6North BrunswickMount Tabor6
11South JohnstonAsheville11

7A
1Seventy-FirstWeddington1
16West JohnstonBen L. Smith16
8Middle CreekCox Mill8
9HillsideCuthbertson9
--------------------
4GarnerEast Forsyth4
13Southeast RaleighSouthwest Guilford13
5Southern DurhamDavie5
12New HanoverHickory Ridge12
--------------------
--------------------
2Cardinal GibbonsWatauga2
15Chapel HillParkland15
7HeritagePorter Ridge7
10Pine ForestPage10
--------------------
3ScotlandMooresville3
14South GarnerWest Mecklenburg14
6Cape FearButler6
11Fuquay - VarinaA.L. Brown11

8A
1RolesvilleGrimsley1
16AshleySouth Mecklenburg16
8ClaytonNorthwest Guilford8
9Leesville RoadMyers Park9
--------------------
4PinecrestLake Norman4
13JordanReagan13
5Holly SpringsWest Forsyth5
12Apex FriendshipIndependence12
--------------------
--------------------
2ClevelandHough2
15ApexProvidence15
7MillbrookChambers7
10Wake ForestMallard Creek10
--------------------
3HoggardMarvin Ridge3
14Jack BrittNorth Mecklenburg14
6LaneyWest Charlotte6
11RichmondArdrey Kell11

CSD is the only team in 2a currently that stays in 2a.

They’ll wreak havoc!

I see posts from the SMC in my future!😂
Perfect example of the NCHSAA not doing a better job of bringing up the continued issue of non districted schools in the smaller classifications ESPECIALLY charters, magnets, and Parochials. All of the current 1A and small 2A schools need to step up and stand up. Until they make a united challenge nothing will happen. Look at the state finals in non football 1A sports.

Mr. Grizz, any plans on any future versions or revisions of this???
Any revisions would be speculation at this point because everything's going to be based off next year's Adm numbers. Few extra students are a few less students could make a big swing

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
What he said, additionally, we'll wait and see how things are handled with Charters and Parochial schools. They'll no doubt change their east/west lines, but hopefully it all comes out sooner rather then later

they will probably will keep the east/west line. it would be interesting to see what it will look like without the east/west line

5A
1HavelockCrest1
16Southern WayneErwin16
8Western AlamanceNorthwest Cabarrus8
9HuntStatesville9
--------------------
4C.B. AycockMonroe4
13Rocky MountWest Rowan13
5RichlandsRobinson5
12West CarteretHibriten12
--------------------
--------------------
2Eastern AlamanceWest Henderson2
15CroatanNorth Gaston15
7Nash CentralOak Grove7
10FikeSouth Point10
--------------------
3Northern NashSalisbury3
14Northeast GuilfordNorth Henderson14
6Currituck CountyNorth Lincoln6
11Rockingham CountyEast Lincoln11

6A
1Southern AlamanceHickory1
16OrangeSoutheast Guilford16
8Southern LeeT.C. Roberson8
9WilliamsCharlotte Catholic9
--------------------
4Vance CountyA.C. Reynolds4
13Terry SanfordNorthern Guilford13
5South ViewSun Valley5
12PersonAshbrook12
--------------------
--------------------
2Southern NashKings Mountain2
15Gray's CreekGlenn15
7J.H. RoseEastern Guilford7
10White OakAlexander Central10
--------------------
3JacksonvilleDudley3
14St. PaulsFranklin14
6North BrunswickMount Tabor6
11South JohnstonAsheville11

7A
1Seventy-FirstWeddington1
16West JohnstonBen L. Smith16
8Middle CreekCox Mill8
9HillsideCuthbertson9
--------------------
4GarnerEast Forsyth4
13Southeast RaleighSouthwest Guilford13
5Southern DurhamDavie5
12New HanoverHickory Ridge12
--------------------
--------------------
2Cardinal GibbonsWatauga2
15Chapel HillParkland15
7HeritagePorter Ridge7
10Pine ForestPage10
--------------------
3ScotlandMooresville3
14South GarnerWest Mecklenburg14
6Cape FearButler6
11Fuquay - VarinaA.L. Brown11

8A
1RolesvilleGrimsley1
16AshleySouth Mecklenburg16
8ClaytonNorthwest Guilford8
9Leesville RoadMyers Park9
--------------------
4PinecrestLake Norman4
13JordanReagan13
5Holly SpringsWest Forsyth5
12Apex FriendshipIndependence12
--------------------
--------------------
2ClevelandHough2
15ApexProvidence15
7MillbrookChambers7
10Wake ForestMallard Creek10
--------------------
3HoggardMarvin Ridge3
14Jack BrittNorth Mecklenburg14
6LaneyWest Charlotte6
11RichmondArdrey Kell11

I can see some dynasties coming out of this like subdividing did

Changing the east west lines wont make a difference, the same regions will still dominate, Charlotte704-Piedmont, Triad-Piedmont, and AC Reynolds in between.

Great work. However, Wilson Prep does play football and after speaking with the AD of Hobgood Charter during our playoff volleyball game, they plan to go from 8-man to 11-man in 2024, so he says.

Great work. However, Wilson Prep does play football and after speaking with the AD of Hobgood Charter during our playoff volleyball game, they plan to go from 8-man to 11-man in 2024, so he says.
I want to say that I read in a HSOT article that Wilson Prep would not have football next year...maybe I misread.

I hadn't seen anything official on Hobgood so I haven't added them yet.

They'll be much that changes...I'll adjust over the summer....hopefully more concrete news comes out for all this.

I want to say that I read in a HSOT article that Wilson Prep would not have football next year...maybe I misread.

I hadn't seen anything official on Hobgood so I haven't added them yet.

They'll be much that changes...I'll adjust over the summer....hopefully more concrete news comes out for all this.
Wake Prep also plays football, though I don't think they were in a conference last year. Hobgood played eight-man football last season, though they could move up to 11-man football.

I don't expect anyone to understand the peculiarities of Burke County politics/demographics so I'll see if I can explain this one.
About 20 years ago the school board decided we needed a third HS. Freedom had almost 2500 kids and E. Burke was at around 1700 (these are my recollections). But when they decided that the new HS would be just east of Morganton the people in Valdese threw a fit. They said that they had been promised "their own school" since consolidation and they wouldn't support a new school that wasn't in Valdese.
So, a compromise was worked out to build Patton to take the FHS excess and to split the E. Burke crew as best they could between E. Burke and Draughn (Draughn is only kinda sorta "in Valdese", but close enough).
But that whole "their own school" business implies that you can't make kids drive past one school to get to another, so each school serves a particular area with Freedom serving the western part of the county, which is the biggest part both geographically and in terms of population.
We've had a lot of people move to western Burke County recently, driving up property prices and I have personally seen a lot of new home construction near where I live. Many people have found that they can drive for less than an hour to work in Asheville and have a lot more house for the same price. When I refinanced my home to take advantage of interest rates, the loan officer told me that he had dealt with someone who worked in Asheville and commuted who was able to allow his wife to stay home, commute, own their home and still have more money than living in Asheville.
So, we have a lot more kids than the other schools, who draw from a smaller area with fewer people. We built facilities for a large student population in the 90s, so there is more than enough room.
I believe had they went ahead just built one high school instead of 2, all 3 would be in better shape. Burke county didn't need 4 high schools. At the though you had some Valdese people on the board that was going to give them what they wanted.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT