ADVERTISEMENT

Music ?

When I was in HS at Clinton back in 01-04 our band was so loud we got a flag on us for playing and never played when our offense had the ball, coaches would go crazy. We had 160 band members. 100+ of those were winds.

Has that always been the case? I remember the Bulldogs being flagged for our band playing at North Rowan during a NR offensive possession. But that was in the ‘80’s.
I know the bands In our area stop playing before the snap so I thought it might be a rule. In the playoffs I witnessed a band continue to play while the opposing team had the ball but not the home team. Never had seen that in my lifetime. Coach didn’t complain and evidently it had no effect on the field calling plays. Thanks for everyone help

Reactions: Maiden Creek
There's no NFHS rule regarding bands playing. So it's not illegal. It's is addressed by NCAA rules and is not allowed. The NCHSAA tells us to leave it alone, let game management deal with it.

I'd rather deal with an angry coach than an angry band mom! :)

Years ago I worked a football game in Columbus County where the band director refused to vacate the field to start the game. No one at the school was willing to tell him that he had to leave the field. They called him the Band Nazi. :)

Years ago I worked a football game in Columbus County where the band director refused to vacate the field to start the game. No one at the school was willing to tell him that he had to leave the field. They called him the Band Nazi. :)
He had that much pull? Why did he refuse to leave the field?

Nope I've never seen a band get flagged for anything during a game. My school's band has always played when we are on defense. Not as much as we did in my day (In 2008 we played Doors songs during the 2nd half when the visitors have the ball.)

I do have a funny story though. I'll never forget in 2016 though playing Carver in Winston at their homecoming. They had the entire homecoming ceremony in the allotted time (20 minutes.) Then they had to be foolish enough to send the band out and play a 5-10 minute session of whatever they did that year. They got flagged for delaying the start of the game in a 15 yard penalty. The fact that someone was foolish enough to go through with that was one of the silliest things I've ever seen. An omen for what hit their program those next few years.

To this day I still laugh hard about it 🤣

Reactions: Chute Boxe Hero
Our bad was flagged 2-3 times over my 4 years at Clinton for playing during the play while other team had the ball. We played so loud, and during the 00-04’ years our band was huge.

We didn’t dare play while we were on offense, Bob Lewis would’ve had our band director a$$.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT