ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy vs Cherokee Thread

Cold Biscuit

Dec 28, 2013
Excited about this game, it answers a lot of questions. Both teams coming off big wins, should make for a huge crowd.

Murphy jumped on Gilmer quick Friday night, offense seems to be finding a groove with 34 running a lot more physical. Run defense needs some work but solid performance over all for the dogs.

Big win for the Braves, glad to see them getting better. The conference is better with teams more even at the top. I expect the Braves to bring their A game and be ready to play, can't wait.

This game has huge implications on smc race. Murphy gave up over 400 yards of offense last night to Gilmer, but hung on for the win. Murphy did force 5 turnovers helping their cause. Cherokee seems to be getting better and better every week, and their duel threat qb could pose problems for the Dogs D. Home crowd, confidence, and momentum are key factors for the Braves. Should be a great atmosphere and game.

Man this could be biggest game at ray k in a long time ... Hopefully we can score and make it a game ...

I'm going to enjoy last nights victory for at least 24 hrs. before I even start to think about Murphy!

Can't remember the year but remember the 42-41 game at the Old Ray Kinsland Stadium? That was one of the best games I have seen. Hoping for another classic like that. This could be a forecast from both sides for who will rule the roost over the next few years in the SMC.

I am glad to see just the overall SMC competitive can't wait to see this game Friday . I think it's a great early season test for both sides .

Reactions: mbdfan
Cherokee has got better in all areas, according to their stats. I haven't seen the Braves play so I can only go off numbers. Yes, I know, numbers don't tell you everything, like the passion and heart the kids play with.

Truthfully, I just don't think the Braves are quite ready for Murphy. Sure it should be a good game, but only for a half, even three quarters. Murphy will physically wear the Braves down and come away with a hard fought victory.

I do look for Cherokee to win a playoff game this year though.

Murphy 34 Cherokee 21

Cherokee has got better in all areas, according to their stats. I haven't seen the Braves play so I can only go off numbers. Yes, I know, numbers don't tell you everything, like the passion and heart the kids play with.

Truthfully, I just don't think the Braves are quite ready for Murphy. Sure it should be a good game, but only for a half, even three quarters. Murphy will physically wear the Braves down and come away with a hard fought victory.

I do look for Cherokee to win a playoff game this year though.

Murphy 34 Cherokee 21

Good observations. Murphy has a huge advantage with sheer numbers. That comes into play in second half. When Cherokee has 5-6 standing on the sideline not dressed out, it hurts big time! Murphy simply reaches and grabs another quality player. Cherokee starts with a student body of about 275. Tough situation for football.

With that said, these Braves WILL NOT QUIT! No matter how tired, they fight to the end!
I still think it will be a good game! GO BRAVES!

if the Bulldogs can't stop the Braves offense could be an interesting night. Our defense played good Friday but I'm not sure they can stop Murphy. I've enjoyedwatching the Braves get better and better each week.

Murphy's run defense has been very poor this season. With a dual threat QB in Mintz it will make it even tougher for the run defense. I expect Mintz and Evans will get theirs running the football Friday night. Murphy's pass defense has been pretty solid all season, despite both of their starting corners being out since Week 2. The pass defense should get even better once Posey is back sometime next month. Posey is also Murphy's starting wingback, so it will have multiple benefit for the 'Dogs, who are down to their 3rd string wingback right now with Posey and Davis out.

On the flip side, I expect Murphy to be able to move the football on Cherokee's defense. When Murphy has wanted to, they've been able to pass the football on anyone this season. And running the football McRae has been able to pick up big yards on everyone besides Franklin so far.

I expect the Braves will come out fired up and play with a lot of energy and emotion early on, so I wouldn't be shocked if this game is close or even tied at halftime, but ultimately I expect Murphy's depth will wear down Cherokee in the second half. The 'Dogs get the win behind the offense doing their usual thing and the defense being opportunistic and creating a few turnovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: smcdogfan
Murphy's pass defense playing pretty good ball right now. Their weakness seems to be stopping the inside run game. I'm not sure how many folks realize how young Murphy is in certain spots. They have a lot youth that are growing up fast and it will pay big over the next few seasons. Sophomores were making huge plays on Gilmer all night. Overall I like how the dogs look rolling into conference play.

Mbd I think both Hensley and Creelman have been playing well with Posey out
I agree, Murphy is fortunate they have good depth this season. This should pay big dividends next season, 2016 should be Murphy's deepest team in a very long time.

Reactions: smcdogfan
Ahhh Yes, a matchup between the new kid on the block(Mintz) and the old seasoned vet(Kent)....Mixed with the experience and wisdom of coach(David Gentry) against the X & O expertise and motivational skills of Coach Kent Briggs....

This is going to be a fun season in the SMC!

Good luck to both teams this friday!

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: PolkHeel
I agree, Murphy is fortunate they have good depth this season. This should pay big dividends next season, 2016 should be Murphy's deepest team in a very long time.

Depth is something we do not have. It is what it is! We play with what we got and hope for the best.

I expect the Braves will come out fired up and play with a lot of energy and emotion early on, so I wouldn't be shocked if this game is close or even tied at halftime, but ultimately I expect Murphy's depth will wear down Cherokee in the second half. The 'Dogs get the win behind the offense doing their usual thing and the defense being opportunistic and creating a few turnovers.
Well Murphy's offense wasn't as potent tonight as usual (not sure if it was because of the weather or Cherokee's defense) but other than that, this game played out almost exactly how I figured it would.

Well Murphy's offense wasn't as potent tonight as usual (not sure if it was because of the weather or Cherokee's defense) but other than that, this game played out almost exactly how I figured it would.
Is #34 good to go? I heard he went down in the 4th but don't know exactly what happened. I don't know if he returned to the game or not but it was late. Hope he's okay with "you know who" coming up next week! Don't wanna see a repeat of last year.

Is #34 good to go? I heard he went down in the 4th but don't know exactly what happened. I don't know if he returned to the game or not but it was late. Hope he's okay with "you know who" coming up next week! Don't wanna see a repeat of last year.
I have no idea nole, if not Murphy is in trouble next week

I have no idea nole, if not Murphy is in trouble next week
That's what I'm thinking. I just heard the radio guys say he got twisted up and he was down. They then went to commercial and when they came back said he walked back to the sideline with minimal help. So I dunno. Hopefully he just got shook up. Surely rville can't get that lucky two years in a row, can they?

That's what I'm thinking. I just heard the radio guys say he got twisted up and he was down. They then went to commercial and when they came back said he walked back to the sideline with minimal help. So I dunno. Hopefully he just got shook up. Surely rville can't get that lucky two years in a row, can they?
surely Murphy can't be that UNLUCKY two years in a row,. before Cox it was Braswell. Basically when Murphy has a really good team lately, whoever the star player is, is destined to get injured.

surely Murphy can't be that UNLUCKY two years in a row,. before Cox it was Braswell. Basically when Murphy has a really good team lately, whoever the star player is, is destined to get injured.
They do seem snake bitten lately. But like I said, I have no idea exactly what happened. I didn't see anything. I just heard it on the radio. Hopefully he will be fine and good to go next week. I want both teams to come in at full strength. May the best team win. No excuses.

He looked fine walked off the field under his own power and was walking back and forth on the sidelines the rest of the game .

Yeah weird liking play but he walked off didn't look like a knee or leg so I don't know but he was able to get free in second half ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT