ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy Lady Bulldogs

Once again, the Lady Bears end the Lady Bulldogs season. Congrats to the Lady Bulldogs on an outstanding season!

Reactions: mbdfan
If MA had lost today, I would have had no problems pulling for Murphy to win next week. That team, both this year and last, is better than teams I've seen win state championships before.

I think Coach Gutierrez of Murphy didn't know what to say. He had his team prepared for all of the big guns, kept Jo and Shaunae and Asherah in check as much as you can, and then Alyssa Cox goes off.

The rest of the 1A teams in the West have to be glad so many of them are graduating in the spring.

Mt. Airy did an excellent job on defense. Really kept Murphy from ever getting in any kind of rhythm, especially in the 2nd half. Murphy was only down 4 to start the 4th, but that run at the beginning was all Mt Airy needed. To be so close 2 years in a row and lose again is very disappointing to say the least. Your right about Ray, he even mentioned they didn't scout Cox and said she was the difference maker. A championship team can and will find a player who normally isn't in the spotlight to come through when needed. Thats what makes them a championship team. Good luck to the Bears next week.

You probably don't know this, but I'm the sports editor for the Mount Airy News. I was in the interview room when he said it.

Coach Gutierrez couldn't have expected what Cox did. She wasn't even on the team last year. She's a great golfer--the low 1A scorer in the state as a sophomore and the leader of the low-scoring 1A team this season--but hadn't played basketball for two years before coming back to the sport this year. She's been great defensively all year but hasn't shot particularly well after not playing for so long. I think her season high before tonight was 10 points, and yesterday she had 15 against the second-best team MA has played this season. (West Forsyth could beat Murphy...no one else could touch you.)

MA is as good a defensive team as I've ever seen for a team with no one taller than 5'10". When they've played teams with weak guard play, it's not even been fair.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT