ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy @ Franklin

mbdfan

Mar 17, 2007
thoughts on this matchup? What figures to be two of the best squads in the mountains this season are set to square off next Friday night at The Pit. Both teams will be without key players, Franklin without their star runningback Kloeppel and Murphy without their starting wingback/strong safety (and best defensive back) Creelman. Game at the Pit, notoriously difficult place to win.

I think the 'Dogs have the talent to be in it till the end, but will need to really cut down on penalties and figure something out as far as kickoffs and points after are concerned (hopefully Murray kicks off next week).

Franklin beat the brakes off Murphy last year at the Hill but I expect a much much better performance Friday from the 'Dogs. The Panthers will be the favorites in this one though.

Should be a good one! I was impressed with Murphy's performance Thur night & surprised with what Franklin did to Asheville Fri night. I'm glad it's at the Pit but the Bulldogs are overdue. Should be an awesome atmosphere Fri night!

Reactions: NC nole fan
Losing Creelman hurts more on defense than offense IMO. Murphy is loaded at offensive skill positions. Murphy has to shut down Franklin's run game to win. It doesn't matter who is running the ball for Franklin. If that big Franklin line is getting a push for 4 or 5 yard a carry it will be a long night for the Dogs. I agree with mbdfan, I'd like to see Murray kicking.

best Mountains probably start 1. ACR 2. Hibriten 3. Freedom 4. Watauga 5/6 Franklin/Murphy

Back to this game. I'm shocked Franklin has owned Murphy the way they have lately. Would love to see either them come off the mountain for non conference games. Both are great football towns

MBD: don't look into the sun tomorrow w/o your glasses!! Murphy population will swell due to this eclipse...

best Mountains probably start 1. ACR 2. Hibriten 3. Freedom 4. Watauga 5/6 Franklin/Murphy

Back to this game. I'm shocked Franklin has owned Murphy the way they have lately. Would love to see either them come off the mountain for non conference games. Both are great football towns

We've tried. We had a home and home with Charlotte Christian and a one off at Chase. We now have a home and home with a homeschool team out of Pickens, SC. The rumors were that we were going to get a home and home with Shelby, but that didn't pan out. I think we'd go most anywhere at this point to get a game, but nobody wants to come to The Pit.

Have a hard time getting used to people saying we're a football town, but I'm glad it's true these days.

Murphy is the real deal.Don't know about Franklin , Asheville not the team of years past.Think dogs get the monkey off their back.Murphy by 7.

Is Franklin that much better than last years team? Just curious. They should win this game but it will be close. Panthers by 7

Is Franklin that much better than last years team? Just curious. They should win this game but it will be close. Panthers by 7

I think Franklin is better. Largely the same offense as last year, but a year older. The passing game looked really sharp against Asheville, and the run game was as bludgeoning as usual. Front 7 looked solid, but the same old story with deep plays in the secondary could be a problem (welcome to Franklin).

The secondary giving up big plays is what worries me with Murphy. Asheville had a couple chances they missed with wide open receivers, and I don't think Franklin can afford to give Murphy those chances.

Truth be known, coach brooks probably has this game circled every season. Franklin always seems more than ready to hand it to the Dogs year in and year out. Hopefully Murphy can put an end to the losing streak, especially after last years beatdown.

I agrer if this game was week 10 murphy would have a few wins over the last 8 years. That offense is more difficult to learn. I still say Franklin eins and keeps the dogs from becoming the 2nd smc team to be 16-00.

16-00 only happens with alot of luck. We wad lucky to beat dade coubty abd rabun that year. They wasnt near as good as murphy but it took some luck

Yes but Murphy's offense is more complicated so they need longer to gel.

I usually refrain from putting the Murphy posters in their place until they get out of line, and what do you know....each and every year one of you fellas forgets Murphy's place. I could understand if Franklin won last year in a close game, or even a competitive game.....but the firrrrrssstttttt and ten Bulldogs were absolutely BLOWN OUT! Play that game any part of the season last year and Franklin still beats Murphy, plain and simple! I can ASSURE each and every one of you that Coach Brooks doesn't circle a 1A game every year(against a team we've beaten 13 of the last 15 times), even the mention of that is quite comical even coming from the inbred Murphy faithful. You guys are the biggest sore losers we encounter on a yearly basis and that's saying something! Please do us all a favor and don't blame the refs once again like you guys ALWAYS do when we crush what hope Murphy had of a perfect season this year. So tighten them suspenders up, reach over and kiss your toothless sister/wife again, and get put back in your place! Franklin makes it 14 of the last 16 and wins by 14+

Reactions: Champ_24
Let me go ahead and put some distance between myself and my fellow 2001 Franklin alumnus. Even with last year's anomaly, you have to remember that of the 8 straight wins Franklin has had, 4 were by less than a touchdown. We don't schedule them every year for the win. I'm pretty sure they are on the schedule because of history, gate receipts, and the challenge they offer. 1a or not, they usually have athletes that push our limits. Murphy was a better opponent than 75% of the WNCAC for most of the years of that dreadful conference. I don't think Coach Brooks circles the Murphy game, but nobody takes a David Gentry coached team lightly.

I will agree that the officiating comments do get old. It's not like we go pick them up at the Hot Spot before the game and slap a uniform on them. You can't tell me the officiating is any better in the SMC.

I don't think murphy wins at any point last year but I do think it would of been a lot closer. I agree with some things you said about murphy and some you didn't, lol.
If I was franklin I would schedule Andrew's as much as possible because andrews has a winning record against franklin. I would schedule them twice a year if possible. JS.

Since 1960, Murphy leads the series 32-25. From 1986-1992 Murphy won 7 in a row over Franklin, oustscoring them 229-61. Franklin has won the last 8 meetings dating back to 2009, outscoring Murphy 258-143.

I'm in the same camp as Squirrel is but, if you all don't realize that 2001 is just trying to stir the pot........well, your a lot more naive than I thought!

I was unaware that Franklin is more in the sticks than Murphy.

And LOL to BK13Ts point about Andrews. Good one

I don't think murphy wins at any point last year but I do think it would of been a lot closer. I agree with some things you said about murphy and some you didn't, lol.
If I was franklin I would schedule Andrew's as much as possible because andrews has a winning record against franklin. I would schedule them twice a year if possible. JS.
Come on Bk. Don't go hating on Andrews

You are right NC Nole. Franklin is definitely in the sticks.

I always forget that Murphy is so close to the sophisticated urban and cultural influence of Ducktown

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
NC Cole......spell assume for me, because that's exactly what assuming will get you, it'll make an a** out of u and me. Definitely not old enough to graduate in 2001, I played for both Coach Goldsmith and Coach Brooks so i'll let you figure that one out for yourself. I also was born and raised right here in Macon County. Nobody on here wants to hear about all time records or what Murphy did this back in 1960...newsflash it's 2017! You fellas just keep your mouth shut about the refs after Friday night and things will be A-Ok! Oh, and $50 reward for whoever knocks Murphy's announcer out cold and hollers firstttttt and ten PANTHERS after doing it, video evidence must be presented. Also, fellas, inbreds, whatever you call yourselves....don't get so butthurt over someone stirring the pot, yall punks should be used to it!

Xtra point conversions will be the difference in my opinion. Also with Franklins workhorse out for this game I think it will be close. Franklin wins 28 to 24. This was a tough one to call

Get back to talking about the game, no more trash talking.

This entire board is dead. I have been posting on here for over 14 years and I am right at the point of hanging it up because of stuff like this. Trash talk is good for the board!!

Reactions: Champ_24
This entire board is dead. I have been posting on here for over 14 years and I am right at the point of hanging it up because of stuff like this. Trash talk is good for the board!!

I have no problem with some trash talking, but this one got vulgar and ugly. Do you want your children reading what I deleted?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT