ADVERTISEMENT

Murphy at Robbinsville round 4.

Football overlap effects a lot of winter sports in 1a. When Mitchell was 2a there were not as many kids playing both sports. Now it’s essential. It takes our basketball team half the season to gel and get in basketball shape. Hats off to the kids for playing both sports.
Mitchell’s deep runs in the playoffs have killed the wrestling program. Mitchell has been consistently deep in the football playoffs since 2015 and the wrestling program has went south. The physical toll of football has them wore out and beat all to crap by the time wrestling starts.

Baseball in the mountains is a joke anyway. Baseball should start end of April playing first games in may.
The problem with baseball is kids are exhausted by the time it rolls around. At the 1A level it’s the same kids playing every sport. They’re ready for summer break and to get out of school. Murphy and Hayesville seem to field pretty good teams year after year. Murphy was in the state finals a few years ago . Please correct me, they lost in the final game of the series ?

The problem with baseball is kids are exhausted by the time it rolls around. At the 1A level it’s the same kids playing every sport. They’re ready for summer break and to get out of school. Murphy and Hayesville seem to field pretty good teams year after year. Murphy was in the state finals a few years ago . Please correct me, they lost in the final game of the series ?

Lost to Whiteville in Championship series in 2017. Beat West Columbus in Championship series in 2018.

Baseball in the mountains is a joke anyway. Baseball should start end of April playing first games in may.
It really is, with a couple exceptions. It's a shame too, because baseball is the sport that most of our boys around here would have the best shot at making a career out of. Most American born pros are rural folks, broad shouldered corn fed boys that slug it.

Yes it could lead to Some uncharacteristically performances but on the other hand it can help. The kids that do both are strong on Friday nights and in good shape for the mats. In a perfect world football would end a couple weeks earlier and wrestling start a c

As long as a kid doesn't have to miss one practice to make another I don't see an issue outside of slightly increasing risk of injury. I'm sure the coach isn't doing anything super strenuous or going to a wrestling match on Thursday knowing kids have a big game ahead of them on Friday.
It's a slippery slope, but imagine you have a vital piece of your team , during the vital part of your season, participating in another sports preseason, and that kid gets hurt ,"rolls an ankle , tweaks a knee...etc." that particular player being out could cost your team a chance to win, that would cause major tension between staffs, for me the best rule I have seen you cannot participate in an upcoming sport until your previous sport is finished.
This happened to us and it hurt 40 teammates that needed him to win a title.
Gary Thompson

Lost to Whiteville in Championship series in 2017. Beat West Columbus in Championship series in 2018.
Thank you sir , I didn’t realize the dogs went to back to back finals . Baseball not much of a joke at MHS . Wow ! Good luck to your dogs as they make the 45 minute drive over this Friday. Should be all that it’s expected to be .

It's a slippery slope, but imagine you have a vital piece of your team , during the vital part of your season, participating in another sports preseason, and that kid gets hurt ,"rolls an ankle , tweaks a knee...etc." that particular player being out could cost your team a chance to win, that would cause major tension between staffs, for me the best rule I have seen you cannot participate in an upcoming sport until your previous sport is finished.
Gary Thompson
Exactly

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Black Knights are going roll Murphy.

Some folks are putting to much on the Murphy ER game.
If Robbinsville wins I'd bet it's in close fashion like it always is. The only time a team gets truly "rolled" when these two play is when Murphy rolls Robbinsville.

Reactions: goknightgo
How many players are injured for Robbinsville this week. BK usually has at least 3-4 on the injured reserve list

Reactions: therealsquid
Black Knights are going roll Murphy.

Some folks are putting to much on the Murphy ER game.

Finally some $#¡+ talk. Weren't you the first one I saw exiting big oaks stadium when Murphy kicked yalls @$$ back in the spring?? Everyone saying Rville played like crap the 1st game last spring and the Knights would beat the Dogs a lot worse (21-28 pts) in the playoffs. Same thing was said after yall won earlier this season..... You gonna pull a houdini again if we win Fri night? As far as the ER game, are you gonna say Rville woulda hung 80 on them? Cmon BK!

No I think Murphy matched up better vs ER than Robbinsville would've.

Who do you think was the better team last year? Robbinsville or Murphy.

One word answer please

Reactions: 97Cougar
Who knows what's gonna happen in this game..Its according to which teams show up for Robbinsville and Murphy. Both have been very inconsistent at times this year. Robbinsville struggles with athletic qbs and good receivers.
Murphy struggles with power run games.
What gives?

Reactions: mbdfan and 97Cougar
Maybe, just maybe in my world… wrestling state titles and kids having the chance to win an individual state title, means just as much to them and their families as a football state title means to others. I have always given the kids the option to wrestle or not during football. Anyone who says different is a liar. It seems to me that those wrestlers are major contributors on Friday nights. How about this novel idea? Let kids be kids. Let them support their school and their respective sports every opportunity that they can. I fully support the football team, it’s players, coaches and staff. I truly hope they win it all. I’ve personally missed less than a dozen games in the last 21 years. I Coached football at Robbinsville for 4 years. What I don’t do is hide behind some alias on a forum and bash other programs at The Ville that have the same goals. I’ve dedicated the last literal 20 years of my life to this community and to insinuate that my program somehow lessens the football teams chances or focus is quite frankly idiotic. How about you post you real name and contact me and we can discuss your ignorant comments further. Or you can continue to be a forum Troll that doesn’t have a clue. Coach Todd Odom. 828-735-
Gary Thompson
Gary I appreciate the reply and your willingness to speak on the topic. Truthfully, many people from my town and yours agree with what you said. But what you “imagined” is every wrestling coaches reality. My reality. We have a shot at the state title this year and have been in this position for the last several years. Ankles, knees, shoulders, wrists are all injuries during football season that have cost kids and teams shots at state titles in the wrestling world. In my opinion, kids are either going to get hurt or not. Can’t change that destiny. Whether it be snowboarding, motorcycles, shooting a layup, or playing hide and go seek. That’s why it doesn’t bother me one bit for my wrestler to play football. I can’t change someone’s destiny. There again, my opinion on the injury possibility. Obviously in WNC, most people consider football the king. I don’t live in that world. For the record, I love the sport and encourage everyone I can to play. But wrestling is just as important. Just want to say that again… just as important. So is basketball, track, golf, XC, baseball, softball and any other sport we want to mention. I don’t put participating in one specific sport ABOVE the others. In my eyes they are equal. What really matters to me isn’t the championships. It’s about providing kids opportunities to become better husbands/wives, dads/moms, and citizens in their communities who will give back. Any coach worth their salt focuses on that, and if they do, the winning comes as a by product. Those opportunities only happen by allowing those kids the option to crawl on the bus whenever they can. Allowing kids at anytime to do the sports they love, represent their school with pride, and make memories. This to me far out weighs any negatives.
Any Coach at any school in any sport should encourage participation any time that they can. 1A schools especially have to share athletes amongst the sports. Will there be some potential conflicts possibly? Yes, but I personally try to schedule to minimize the impact on the football team. Even my practices start after football gets done . What I don’t want anyone to ever do, is to deny an athlete that one moment, that epic ripple in time that defines/changes/impacts their life.

Thanks for reading.
Todd Odom

Got too agree with Coach Odom on this one. People get bent out of shape over a 6 minute wrestling match but don’t think twice about all the boys chasing hunting dogs all weekend.

Reactions: coachtoddodom
Can’t let Mitchell and Mt Airy have all the fun this week. Robbinsville and Murphy fans get too quiet these days when playing each other.
This is true. I’m just happy these two are playing again this Thanksgiving weekend (against all odds this season, and due to missing Fall football because of covid last year). It’s becoming somewhat of a Black Friday tradition!

Last edited:
Robbinsville and Murphy fans get too quiet these days when playing each other.
A mutual respect has been earned. Both know at this point in the rivalry that one can beat the other on any given Friday. Robbinsville's program has leveled up in the last 5 or so years and Murphy doesn't have the same overwhelming talent year in and year out that they did back when the talk was really juicy between these two on here. Robbinsville is no longer the underdog story when these two play, it's a pretty even affair at this point and too much gum popping from either side would just be setting yourself up for a heaping of crow.

Try the last 8 years.
No, the respect wasnt there on Murphy's side of the aisle 7 or 8 years ago. Murphy had dominated the series for years and years before '14 and '15, a lot of us in Cherokee County figured it was just a blip perpuated in part by circumstance and that things would just go back to the status quo, but these last 3 years especially proved different. You earned respect. Learn to take a compliment when you get one BK, jesus 😄

A mutual respect has been earned. Both know at this point in the rivalry that one can beat the other on any given Friday. Robbinsville's program has leveled up in the last 5 or so years and Murphy doesn't have the same overwhelming talent year in and year out that they did back when the talk was really juicy between these two on here. Robbinsville is no longer the underdog story when these two play, it's a pretty even affair at this point and too much gum popping from either side would just be setting yourself up for a heaping of crow.
Yes been very even lately with both teams capable of winning. Looks to be swinging in Robbinsville favors the next couple of years. Be interesting to see how Adams and Williams finish up.

Who knows what's gonna happen in this game..Its according to which teams show up for Robbinsville and Murphy. Both have been very inconsistent at times this year. Robbinsville struggles with athletic qbs and good receivers.
Murphy struggles with power run games.
What gives?
Facts. I dont know what's going to happen Friday and not a lot would surprise me in any direction. Murphy has improved on D since the last time these two played but Robbinsville is also a lot healthier and have their stud RB back now. Robbinsville and Mitchell are bad matchups for Murphy on paper. On the other side of the token you could probably say Murphy matches up better with Mount Airy than Robbinsville or Mitchell do. I do know that Murphy's line better bring the same effort and intensity that they brought against ER next week if they want any shot of winning at Big Oaks on Black Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentle Knight
Robbinsville and Murphy respects no one in this State EXCEPT Robbinsville and Murphy. Rude,crude but true.

Will the game be online somewhere....didn't know if fyntv would cover it?

No, the respect wasnt there on Murphy's side of the aisle 7 or 8 years ago. Murphy had dominated the series for years and years before '14 and '15, a lot of us in Cherokee County figured it was just a blip perpuated in part by circumstance and that things would just go back to the status quo, but these last 3 years especially proved different. You earned respect. Learn to take a compliment when you get one BK, jesus 😄
You speak of respect or lack of, you are referring to yourself and the other fans , correct ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT