ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Airy vs Robbinsville Western Regional Final

Down in the gorge. Traffic backs up to Exit 20 (Maggie Valley) but if you get that far, you went the wrong way. Late Friday afternoon it can creep back to Exit 27 (Clyde/Waynesville) which is where you'll want to get off. You can also hit volume slowdown near Exit 33 where the creeper lane ends. We're stuck with this til May DOT says.

?????? Is it GOOD and what are the servicing towers AT&T, Verizon, or some other Cell Phone service ???????
I want to hear the game on our radio station.
They will probably have to call and get permission as there will already be a local radio station calling the game and I would bet that folks from out your way can tune in to that station to listen to it

So it is at least 20 seconds behind also because of the streaming lag time because of it's buffering.
No TD. NFHS will not carry this game. They are not saying the stream from grahamstarsports is behind, they are saying it has not been starting on time. The streaming for the North Rowan game Friday did not start working until the score was 6-0 already and Robbinsville was about to score again. You will have to keep refreshing until the stream comes online, which might be halfway through the first quarter. Could start streaming sooner, but they have had issues the past couple weeks getting the stream started on time.

Either way, it is unlikely to be timed in sync with the radio coverage. There is usually delays in relays, so they won't be matched exactly.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I posted this in a thread on Nov. 1 and thought it needed posting again. Playoff game seating requirements. Does Big Oak have 500 visitor seats ? The stadium now seats 1,665, up from 1,500 before the renovations. The population of Robbinsville was 597 in the 2020 census. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbinsville,_North_Carolina

4.5.5 Playoffs (General Requirements, Officials, Press Conference, Sites)
(a) Minimum Seating Requirements are as Follows - Class 1A — host 1000, visitors 500; Class 2A – host 1450, visitors 750; Class 3A – host 2000, visitors 1000; Class 4A — host 2500, visitors 1500. (1) The NCHSAA has authority to move a playoff game when the circumstances are perceived to warrant such action even if the host school meets the minimum seating requirements. (2) If additional seating is required to meet the above standards, the expense shall be that of the host school. (3) If the visiting team has a complaint regarding the playing facility, it shall be registered by noon on the Monday preceding the game. In the event of such a complaint, the NCHSAA shall have the authority to appoint a committee to investigate the facilities. This committee shall be vested with the full authority to set the site for the game. (4) If a neutral site is selected, the representatives of the two playing schools shall meet with a representative of the school furnishing the neutral field to agree on game management. (b) Game time is set for 7:00 p.m. (c) Game ball - The Wilson GST Football (WTF1003B) or GST Prime Football (WTF1103) are the official footballs of the NCHSAA championship and playoffs (with NFHS authenticating ball mark). (d) Selection of Officials (1) For the first two rounds of the state playoffs, officials are to be assigned by the regional supervisor of the higher-seeded team. (2) The NCHSAA Director of Officiating Services will assign a regional supervisor to assign crews to games in the quarterfinals and NCHSAA regionals. (3) Clock operators may be assigned starting with the second round, but this is strictly optional for schools. Clock Operators are the responsibility of the host school for playoffs; however, the use of a Clock Operator is not an allowable game expense. (4) The NCHSAA Director of Officiating Services will assign crews to all state championship games. A seven-man crew will be used in the championship games. (e) Championship Press Conference - A press conference and information session preceding the football championships will be held on Monday, December 4.. (1) All regional champions who qualify for the state finals are asked to bring their superintendent, principal, athletic director, head football coach and members of the media who cover their team. (2) This information session/press conference is mandatory; at least one of the aforementioned personnel from the school must be in attendance. (3) Failure to comply will include a penalty and possible forfeiture of complimentary tickets/VIP passes for the event. (f) State Championships - The state championships are scheduled for December 8-9, and sites and times will be announced on the NCHSAA Website. The Western teams will be designated as home.
This capacity argument has been thrown around for years and nothing has changed other than RHS has added an entire length of metal bleachers. This compares to not too many years ago when it looked like portable bleachers trucked in from a rec park softball field. Spout off the NCHSAA "requirements" all you want. RHS has been hosting playoff games for 50+ years so obviously, it passes muster. Thank you for your continued copy and paste efforts from the NCHSAA Handbook. No one knows how to click a link, apparently.

Do not waste your money on the Graham sports live stream
Well, I did end up getting the Swain game for free on YT after the fact. I haven't checked my CC to see if they refunded it or not. I guess it can go in as a donation.

No TD. NFHS will not carry this game. They are not saying the stream from grahamstarsports is behind, they are saying it has not been starting on time. The streaming for the North Rowan game Friday did not start working until the score was 6-0 already and Robbinsville was about to score again. You will have to keep refreshing until the stream comes online, which might be halfway through the first quarter. Could start streaming sooner, but they have had issues the past couple weeks getting the stream started on time.

Either way, it is unlikely to be timed in sync with the radio coverage. There is usually delays in relays, so they won't be matched exactly.
They've apparently been having internet trouble at the press box. According to their Facebook post, it is a school issue they have no control over. Last night it sounded like they had a kid doing the pxp. They must have caught a lot of grief from the tone of their post. Hit up the Graham Star Facebook page for what seems to be updated info.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
They've apparently been having internet trouble at the press box. According to their Facebook post, it is a school issue they have no control over. Last night it sounded like they had a kid doing the pxp. They must have caught a lot of grief from the tone of their post. Hit up the Graham Star Facebook page for what seems to be updated info.
I noticed. It was surprising at first. For a kid, they did a decent enough job, but if they are going to charge for it, they should at least do a professional job of it. As one poster suggested, get the Swain MDN guys to do it.

Verizon doesn’t work half the time and with the impending monsoon rain event with fogged in conditions Friday the cell service will be spotty at best. My weather comes from The Topton Weather Man

I noticed. It was surprising at first. For a kid, they did a decent enough job, but if they are going to charge for it, they should at least do a professional job of it. As one poster suggested, get the Swain MDN guys to do it.
Yeah, Gary does WCU also. I'm not sure why the Star changed announcers as the Swain game announcer was their sportswriter, I believe. I agree on professionalism, although I think they turn the revenue over to the school athletic programs. They just need to upgrade some and get better coordination with the system IT folks. They were streaming free and live on YouTube in prior seasons. I've got a couple of Robbinsville expatriates at my church and my uncle in SC married a woman from there so I'm sure there is pretty good interest outside of their immediate area.

This capacity argument has been thrown around for years and nothing has changed other than RHS has added an entire length of metal bleachers. This compares to not too many years ago when it looked like portable bleachers trucked in from a rec park softball field. Spout off the NCHSAA "requirements" all you want. RHS has been hosting playoff games for 50+ years so obviously, it passes muster. Thank you for your continued copy and paste efforts from the NCHSAA Handbook. No one knows how to click a link, apparently.
You can thank some of the posts from up that way talking like there would be no setting for the away team since the SMC would have all the sets taken before Mount Airy got up there. I will get your permission before I copy and paste again or just post the link to it. WOW there is always one whiner ! ! !

They will probably have to call and get permission as there will already be a local radio station calling the game and I would bet that folks from out your way can tune in to that station to listen to it
Pardon me but our media guys we take pride in they bring the games to us don't jerk there chain they only want to know how cell service is have some respect they when calling games give opponents respect when they make good play just like they do when our team makes play

You can thank some of the posts from up that way talking like there would be no setting for the away team since the SMC would have all the sets taken before Mount Airy got up there. I will get your permission before I copy and paste again or just post the link to it. WOW there is always one whiner ! ! !
Blah blah blah

Yes, it is quite possible that many folks west of Asheville may decide to take in a night of championship level HS football. The seats don't have anyone's name on them, that I recall.

Be sure to bring some cramp medicine.

Pardon me but our media guys we take pride in they bring the games to us don't jerk there chain they only want to know how cell service is have some respect they when calling games give opponents respect when they make good play just like they do when our team makes play
If they are that professional, I'm sure they know how to get in touch with a school principal and/or AD on Monday morning and not totally depend on the vagaries of an internet message board guy/gal.

• Haha
Reactions: Swain97
I’m not jerking any chain, just found out that it’s up to the state to let you guys broadcast and that a fee would have to be paid to the state. Which I am sure that would not be a problem.

Reactions: recycled2
Blah blah blah

Yes, it is quite possible that many folks west of Asheville may decide to take in a night of championship level HS football. The seats don't have anyone's name on them, that I recall.

Be sure to bring some cramp medicine.
According to the NCHSAA 500 of them do and are for the visiting team. Whether or not that is honored is seems up in the air.

According to the NCHSAA 500 of them do and are for the visiting team. Whether or not that is honored is seems up in the air.
I’m a visitor. I’m from Andrews and they will probably be at least 100 more of us. Same for Probably 20 other towns and their respective teams that will come to watch and will set on the VISITORS side. This is the only show in WNC Friday night. Do you think people at the gate are really going to ask each person if they are visitors and asign them a seat ? NO They will take your money then you are on your own. Truth

Forgive me REWhitley. I haven’t made it to a Mt Airy game yet, I would love to go to see them this week but will be too much of a distance for me to make. If the game was at Mt Airy I could make it. If Mt Airy wins I will try and make it to see them in the State Championship game. I feel like Robbinsville n Mt Airy will be one of the best games to see this week.

It seems to me all the Robbinsville posters who have been calling us arrogant all season is now showing there arrogance guess they mad about whipping they fixing to receive
No it’s not Robbinsville fans. It’s everyone in Western North Carolina but not Robbinsville !!
We are very clannish mountain folk and it’s our time to be arrogant. #shotsfired

Really hate that this game is way up in the mountains with spotty signal and what sounds like poor streaming. Ruins it for us who can't travel to the stadium. Having signal and being able to broadcast should be requirements for hosting a Western Finals game.

In my opinion it probably won't matter that much, I don't think more than 500 will even travel that far from Mount Airy. I would guess between 300 to 400 and 200 of that would be parents and family.

No, you are not a visitor in this situation. Your team is not even in the game. It clearly states home and visitor, referring simply to the teams playing. I would not expect the gate worker to ask what team you are there for. I WOULD expect 500 ticket to be provided to Mount Airy High School for the parents and family to buy first to present at game and be admitted. If after the players families have not bought 500, they would report back how many were not sold and Robbinsville handle the rest of the visitor tickets however they would like. I am not a parent or family member. I don't really care on a personal note. However, if the parents of the visiting team aren't provided the opportunity to see their kids play. Well, that's just wrong, whether you or other SMC fans think they should be first come first serve. That is my opinion.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
In my opinion it probably won't matter that much, I don't think more than 500 will even travel that far from Mount Airy. I would guess between 300 to 400 and 200 of that would be parents and family.

No, you are not a visitor in this situation. Your team is not even in the game. It clearly states home and visitor, referring simply to the teams playing. I would not expect the gate worker to ask what team you are there for. I WOULD expect 500 ticket to be provided to Mount Airy High School for the parents and family to buy first to present at game and be admitted. If after the players families have not bought 500, they would report back how many were not sold and Robbinsville handle the rest of the visitor tickets however they would like. I am not a parent or family member. I don't really care on a personal note. However, if the parents of the visiting team aren't provided the opportunity to see their kids play. Well, that's just wrong, whether you or other SMC fans think they should be first come first serve. That is my opinion.
I’m sure the state provides the 500 allotted tickets to the visiting team each week

Really hate that this game is way up in the mountains with spotty signal and what sounds like poor streaming. Ruins it for us who can't travel to the stadium. Having signal and being able to broadcast should be requirements for hosting a Western Finals game.
Call your Senator, they will probably move it. Something similar caused dismantling NCHSAA.

Here in the mountains people get to the game 3 hours early when it’s a big game like this so they are assured of getting a seat. Those that wait have to stand on the fence it’s just how it is here

I don’t disagree with the premise of providing a reasonable number of tickets to the visiting team. But those are not reserved seats. So having a ticket wouldn’t guarantee a seat. You could have a ticket and still be standing behind three other people.

Who are you calling arrogant?
Well maybe you none of you want give media guys straight answer about cell service and talking about broadcasting fees and making jokes about rain and fog you better hope for hail storm cause mighty good football headedyour way

Reactions: NCBBFB

The handy-dandy handbook so kindly provided above indicates there should be 500 seats for the visitors. It doesn't say anything about holding their place in line to get in.

Sounds to me they trying to keep fans and media out of there Friday night might need to be reported to someone

Reactions: Sportsnut17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT