BlackKnightNut

May 13, 2007
North Davidson at Watauga
Oak Grove vs Hibriten
Ledford vs Providence Grove
Central Davidson at Eastern Randolph
Montgomery Central vs Piedmont
Asheboro vs Randleman

Here we are... nonconference action almost over except next week.

North has a big hill (mountain) to climb in this one. They go to Boone to face the powerful Pioneers of Watauga. Last years game was a real bloodletting and I honestly don't think it will be much different this year... thank God for that miracle win last Friday and for the bye week coming up cause I feel North is going to need it.

Oak Grove welcomes Hibriten, who is usually very good but appears to be down the last couple years... the Grizzlies are revving at full throttle after the West Forsyth game and should take this one as well imo.

Ledford scored another win against weak competition last weak, beating East 51-42 in a track meet. They get another opportunity for a win against PG. We shall see how that goes... the offense has finally shown up for the Panthers the last two weeks but with the exception of Wheatmore the defense has been nonexistent this year.

Montgomery Central takes on Piedmont, who has only one win but against better competition than MC has faced. MC may be able to get another win before conference play starts... they really have improved alot the past two years.

Aboro has also improved but they have rival Randleman coming to town. I'm not sure they can handle the Tigers but I am impressed with the job their coach has done. Aboro may just be able to get a conference win this year... time will tell.

Hats off to North Davidson for hittin' the road to Boone to face Watagua. Maybe yall can pursuade some of your conference members to do the same. ( Asheboro never plays up and neither does their basketball team. ) It still baffles me how West Davidson could beat Ledford a few weeks ago. Has West improved that much or is Ledford that down ? Was Ledford missing players that night, or have all their players transferred to Oak Grove ? Mister Simmons has Providence Grove a two point favorite over Ledford , one of the few occasions I can remember Providence Grove being the favorite.
P.S. How long has it been since Asheboro won a conference game ?

Although Asheboro just lost a heartbreaker to Randleman tonight in OT, they should/could beat Montgomery Central , Ledford, possibly North Davidson, and maybe its a stretch, but they could be a long shot for a playoff berth this year . Asheboro's head coach and the head coach of Grimsley are brothers , and their grandfather was C.K. Siler, a gentleman that coached at Sumner HIgh School ( now Southern Guilford ) for decades. If anyone can get Asheboro back on the good foot, its the coach that is now there.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
My dad played at Allen Jay and my uncle played for CK Siler after Allen Jay was consolidated in 1979. Southern Guilford went to the state semis before losing to Ahoskie. The year after my dad graduated from Allen Jay in 1971 (1970 football season where they lost to Ahoskie in the Eastern State Championship) Southern Guilford went to the Eastern State Title and lost to Gates County, right next to and rivals of Ahoskie.

Ahoskie is now Hertford County. They lost to Lexington in 1986 and Thomasville in 1988 state title games. I Love history lol.

I agree with you @GSO-Triple5 i think Asheboro can win multiple games this year and the CK Siler family tree is alive and well.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSO-Triple5
They were all great ballplayers, Mister Black Knight. Mister Meridith always reminded me of Babe Ruth by the way he walked, similar to a penguin or Ron Cey, former Los Angeles Dodger , but he was a helluva football, basketball, and baseball player.

• Love
Watauga 47 ND 21
Ledford 17 PG 0
OG 34 Hibriten 3
Eastern Randolph 27 CD 21
Piedmont 20 Montgomery Central 14
Randleman 34 Aboro 27

Watauga 47 ND 21
Ledford 17 PG 0
OG 34 Hibriten 3
Eastern Randolph 27 CD 21
Piedmont 20 Montgomery Central 14
Randleman 34 Aboro 27
No big surprises, but losing to an excellent team in Boone by twenty six ain't all that bad. At least yall had the nuts to go on the road and play 'em. After Ledford lost to West Davidson, it appeared they were headed to the hind tit of the conference, but perhaps they just had what some call an off night. It appears Oak Grove should win the Mid Piedmont Conference fairly easily, but the rest is a crap shoot, although I do think Montgomery Central will again occupy the lodging facility in the cellar.

Asheboro might finally get their first win over MC. Ledford and ND better watch out too...

We lost but played much more competitively than I thought we would. Just gotta put it all together for foyr quarters...

Ledford got their shutout and the defense answered the call. Nice win but it only gets uphill from here. Panthers are pleased for another week at least.

Oak Grove is far and away the favorite. They have the offensive line and defensive front seven to give anyone headaches except bigger and more athletic teams... OG may get their deep playoff win yet this year. Rob doing fantastic.

MC loses to their toughest opponent yet in a competitive game. They will make the conference interesting even if they finish near the bottom again imo...

Central loses to a smaller but more athletic ER team. They will compete in the middle of the pack as per usual and may win a game or two They shouldn't...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT