ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy Speed

I’m just glad that there is a semblance of parity in the west to talk about at all tbh.
I used to get to serious about it and may yet before the year is over but now, I look at stuff and laugh and try to go with the flow hoping to make friends along the way. Really trying to not let anyone pull my chain. LOL... But still, pull and brag about my team as others do about theirs !

If there is anyone that has earned bragging rights, it’s the SMC. Whether you guys want to believe it or not, it’s the best 1A conference in the state. It’s not even really close. It’s just funny when teams who have a stretch of 2-4 good years and then go back to irrelevancy/mediocrity for 10 years, come on here and brag like their team is contesting for the championship year in and year out. That being said, the only teams that can say that with any sort of consistency for the last 10 years is Robbinsville/Murphy/Tarboro.

Years back the speedy teams had an advantage of sorts but with the improvements in conditioning, weight training, demographics changing and solid coaching it has not been the factor it once was. Yes there are some traditionally very athletic teams in the 1A ranks with skill guys a plenty. However, the SMC, foothills and other west teams are more athletic than most folks give them credit for. Speed will get the occassional big play for a team but a well coached defense with hard nosed kids will mostly nulify the speed come playoff time. The West 1A is going to be so exciting this year once the "flatland" and "mountain" schools begin traveling to one another.

There is a possible chance East Surry gives the Bears a closer game than Robbinsville. After they did have a long ride, what is it 4 plus hours sitting on a bus? And that was not a rivalry game and MA vs ES is. ES plays well at home. Not saying they win ! 🙂

It won't be closer.

It should been a lot worse than it was

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Week 1 in the books and we are already talking about how fast Mt Airy is. We know what they are, what they have. Its the same bunch as last year. We all know how good and fast they are. I guess after week 2 it will be the same thing just a different post.
And if East Wilkes had the same type of athletes that Mt Airy has (thank you Lord) EW fans would be doing the same thing, and rightfully so.
And as would every other team if they were so fortunate. Except a couple of Draughn fans and I have no idea what they would be saying. Talk about chest thumping to the 100th level!

I'm not one bit jealous guys. You're in our conference and I know exactly what to expect and what's going to happen when we play. I also am glad for you all, I hope you win it all again. But the same post week after week is ridiculous. The whole board knows how good yall are, we dont need reminded every week.

I'm not one bit jealous guys. You're in our conference and I know exactly what to expect and what's going to happen when we play. I also am glad for you all, I hope you win it all again. But the same post week after week is ridiculous. The whole board knows how good yall are, we dont need reminded every week.
That is true. It is bragged a little bit about. We have tendency to do that around here. We did it on the two a board back in the day. I think there are some zealous posters. Most people get tired of hearing it because they're getting their ass kicked by it. But I understand.

Tell the SMC the same thing then, you are only telling us because you have to play us. ;) :cool:... The boards are full of braggers every week from all conferences. If not, the boards would dry up and go away. I can understand how you feel losing a great coach.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Let’s all remember that this is a message board , for fun. Although a lot of passion is here most times about a sport , communities that we all love immensely. With that being said it’s the Smc fans , the ER fans, thomasville , draughn and Bear fans East surry fans jabbing each other that keeps us all coming back. It’s the fun in it. Ask yourselves if you would be here without it. Man , have fun , nothing personal. If it’s personal then it might be time to move on or keep a box of Kleenex beside you. It’s gonna be a fun year , talking smack, watching the purest sports out there ( high school athletics ) supporting our communities and the kids that are still loving to play ball and live there. Last post this year. Gonna enjoy the season and continue to read all the undefeated Friday night bleacher coaching legends on here. Maybe at that point I will be ready to coach a little league badminton team or my local pickle ball squad. Have fun guys , Gdawg is out

Let’s all remember that this is a message board , for fun. Although a lot of passion is here most times about a sport , communities that we all love immensely. With that being said it’s the Smc fans , the ER fans, thomasville , draughn and Bear fans East surry fans jabbing each other that keeps us all coming back. It’s the fun in it. Ask yourselves if you would be here without it. Man , have fun , nothing personal. If it’s personal then it might be time to move on or keep a box of Kleenex beside you. It’s gonna be a fun year , talking smack, watching the purest sports out there ( high school athletics ) supporting our communities and the kids that are still loving to play ball and live there. Last post this year. Gonna enjoy the season and continue to read all the undefeated Friday night bleacher coaching legends on here. Maybe at that point I will be ready to coach a little league badminton team or my local pickle ball squad. Have fun guys , Gdawg is out
You left out rowdy Starmount fans

Haha, ok whatever man. Just have a little class and not boast week after week. We all know your good.
So, we should only say we are good the first week and not the weeks after as we get even better. If I remember correctly East Wilkes was doing a lot of bragging in 2015 going 13-1 and losing to Mitchell by only 3 points 17-14 in the 3rd round. They even beat Swain 22-7. Undefeated regular season. I remembered but had to look up the year. Great coaching and a great team. Mount Airy went 8-& 5 / 4 & 2 that year and lost in the 2nd round.

So, we should only say we are good the first week and not the weeks after as we get even better. If I remember correctly East Wilkes was doing a lot of bragging in 2015 going 13-1 and losing to Mitchell by only 3 points 17-14 in the 3rd round. They even beat Swain 22-7. Undefeated regular season. I remembered but had to look up the year. Great coaching and a great team. Mount Airy went 8-& 5 / 4 & 2 that year and lost in the 2nd round.
I would keep repeating they good every week in case new posters come on and don't know about the Bears. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT