ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy @ North Surry

Mt Airy vs Graham scrimmage. I was there. Graham is the best team Mt Airy will see before playoffs. They are a Class 2 VA powerhouse. The score was 1 touchdown each for Mt. Airy and Graham. Graham is wide open and likes to throw it. The field was soaked and lots of mud. That helped Mt.Airy. Mt Airy will beat North by 17 pts and North Surry would get walked on by Graham.
Not really true at all It would be 3 to 2. Since they throw flags and scrimmages but do not count them. Mount Airy had two touchdowns called back from flags. Both of them on Graham so the touchdowns counted. One was unsportsman like conduct after a touchdown run. The other was a severe past interference call. Graham had a touchdown that wasn't really a touchdown because of pass interference from a Mount Airy defender. Which was a straight-up mugging. But you're right they are the best team they will play until the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs. I think you'll have to wait and see what a young bear squad will do to North Surry. I think of veteran gram squad which had what 17 seniors out of what it looked like 28 players will come up with against North. I personally think with the youth of the bears. Considering they only have I believe four maybe five senior starters that the upside is considerably higher. However it is good to see somebody else on here that's objective. Keep posting Love the input.

Not really true at all It would be 3 to 2. Since they throw flags and scrimmages but do not count them. Mount Airy had two touchdowns called back from flags. Both of them on Graham so the touchdowns counted. One was unsportsman like conduct after a touchdown run. The other was a severe past interference call. Graham had a touchdown that wasn't really a touchdown because of pass interference from a Mount Airy defender. Which was a straight-up mugging. But you're right they are the best team they will play until the 3rd or 4th round of the playoffs. I think you'll have to wait and see what a young bear squad will do to North Surry. I think of veteran gram squad which had what 17 seniors out of what it looked like 28 players will come up with against North. I personally think with the youth of the bears. Considering they only have I believe four maybe five senior starters that the upside is considerably higher. However it is good to see somebody else on here that's objective. Keep posting Love the input.
We watched 2 different scrimmages. Mt Airy had 1 score and Graham 1 score and Mt Airy had one touchdown called back due to an obvious holding call. I don't know which scrimmage you watched. Like I wrote, the field conditions favored Mt Airy as it dramatically took away from Grahams passing game and helped neutralized Grahams speed.

We watched 2 different scrimmages. Mt Airy had 1 score and Graham 1 score and Mt Airy had one touchdown called back due to an obvious holding call. I don't know which scrimmage you watched. Like I wrote, the field conditions favored Mt Airy as it dramatically took away from Grahams passing game and helped neutralized Grahams speed.
If field was wet and sloppy would that not hurt MA with all their speed on both sides of the ball??

Reactions: kingbluedevil
I have an observation from the scrimmage, it is easy to be a passer when you can’t be touched by the defensive rush. And how exactly did the field conditions help Mt Airy and hurt Graham speed. Mt Airy has as much speed as Graham so it hurt us as well plus Mount Airy didn’t play our nose tackle that absolutely shuts the run down. Graham was good and was a good test for the Bears but they thought they would out muscle and intimidate the Bears and that did not happen. The ends were held almost every play and not one of them called. Bring on the regular season

49 hours and counting until kickoff.
Surprise to me is that around 12:30 today, North Surry had only sold 105 advance tickets. I would have thought for this game, the excitement that I hear is at North, I would have thought 10 times that amount would have been sold.

I actually bought the first 5 tickets at 9:10 Tuesday morning.

If field was wet and sloppy would that not hurt MA with all their speed on both sides of the ball??

I know this. Since 1930, teams that pass the ball more dont seem to be able to do that as much on rainy wet fields. When fields are wet and rainy, there's generally less passing yards statistically. That's a fact. I don't know if Graham "thought they would out muscle" Mt. Airy. I do know that scrimmage wasn't even equal in total plays to one half of football if a real game, so neither team was going to be out muscled in that short time frame. Now, if an entire second half or 3rd and 4th qtr played, things might be different. I watched 2 very good football teams.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Oh and that was an offsetting penalty in the end zone. The hole in the personal foul. The touchdown counted. But you go g man
Wet field and flags everywhere. I'm from Radford, VA area (Fairlawn to be exact) and we won the Class 2 VA title last year and beat Graham in the semi's. Graham is kind of an old historic rival for us when we played in regular season for many years in the past and would meet in the playoffs. So, when you make the "Go Gman," comment, you have ASSumed I'm a Graham fan. I'm not. I'm someone who was there and watched the game against 2 evenly matched teams and I never ASSume like you did. I'm being objective and that bothers you. It doesnt set well. When one ASSumes, they attempt to make an as$ of you and me but the end result is just making an as$ of themselves.

P.S. Did you know Mt. Airy has 130 more student than Graham? Graham would be a Class 1A team under the current NC system and next year when NC changes back to 8 classifications, Graham would be a 2A school and not a 3A school. Not that this matters. Mt Airy was darn good from what I watched and this is the 3rd year I've seen them play and I think this team is equally as good or close to the same level as the previous 2 which won titles. I hope we can land the running back to VA Tech. He's got D1 written all over him.

Wet field and flags everywhere. I'm from Radford, VA area (Fairlawn to be exact) and we won the Class 2 VA title last year and beat Graham in the semi's. Graham is kind of an old historic rival for us when we played in regular season for many years in the past and would meet in the playoffs. So, when you make the "Go Gman," comment, you have ASSumed I'm a Graham fan. I'm not. I'm someone who was there and watched the game against 2 evenly matched teams and I never ASSume like you did. I'm being objective and that bothers you. It doesnt set well. When one ASSumes, they attempt to make an as$ of you and me but the end result is just making an as$ of themselves.

P.S. Did you know Mt. Airy has 130 more student than Graham? Graham would be a Class 1A team under the current NC system and next year when NC changes back to 8 classifications, Graham would be a 2A school and not a 3A school. Not that this matters. Mt Airy was darn good from what I watched and this is the 3rd year I've seen them play and I think this team is equally as good or close to the same level as the previous 2 which won titles. I hope we can land the running back to VA Tech. He's got D1 written all over him.
I did know that. 510 students versua 581 students. Difference is if they were in North Carolina play in 1A football they wouldn't play all the cupcakes they play. Let's face it Western Virginia 1A and mostly to a football not very athletic. Now they look athletic because everybody else is not athletic. And if they came to North Carolina and played one a or two a football they get smacked around all the time with all that junk talking. Coach reminds me of the typical Coach in North Carolina not the exceptional ones. Electric kids run that mouth. He lets them. Until as you saw at the end of the game when things started to get punishingly physical for her his boys. He stopped the game and said that was enough. That's literally what happened he stopped the game and said that was enough. I think they were pretty good like I said. But don't nobody care about you being from Radford. Y'alls claim to fame is the best party in college and the country. But hell y'all screwed that up too. I just don't like you seeing you running your mouth about this area's football. You had no depth with kids going both ways a lot. By halftime early third quarter in a real game they would get that ass whooping they deserve.

VT getting good talent in the area. Peterkin from Mt Tabor committed last week. He may play football and basketball

Lets get back to the subject of this thread and I have a comment about why is it that only North Surry is selling presale tickets and MA people were told they couldn’t put there stuff out early for seats. Plus was told by the principal that people from mount airy should tailgate on south street. WTH. Last year I know the school let a huge north crowd tailgate at mount airy and visitors are always welcome to tailgate and put seats out. And when presale tickets have been sold in past both schools sell them. Now I don’t know if that is trying to be funny or just being mean but you can take this to the bank. I wouldn’t want to be adding any fuel to the fire with a very strong Bear team headed to toast Friday night and you can bet bear nation will be there in full force. You can’t avoid that.

Reactions: Bearmod1
Not sure why anyone is arguing over a scrimmage game?
Said it last year , with the tradition of the G-men and the Tradition of the Bears both with multiple titles this would be a great non conference game. The schedule opens up next year with most of the non conference games coming to in conference games and should give the bears a spot or possibly 2 to schedule. In My opinion this is the best junior class from top to bottom in the history of the program ( I said in my opinion) As seniors next year this will be a very nasty bunch. Would love to see them tested in a big way before the playoffs in the new classification. I mean outside of being freshmen on a varsity team and losing to East as freshmen I can’t ever remember this group losing. Never seen a more dominant middle school team when they were there and it has translated over to the high school years

Said it last year , with the tradition of the G-men and the Tradition of the Bears both with multiple titles this would be a great non conference game. The schedule opens up next year with most of the non conference games coming to in conference games and should give the bears a spot or possibly 2 to schedule. In My opinion this is the best junior class from top to bottom in the history of the program ( I said in my opinion) As seniors next year this will be a very nasty bunch. Would love to see them tested in a big way before the playoffs in the new classification. I mean outside of being freshmen on a varsity team and losing to East as freshmen I can’t ever remember this group losing. Never seen a more dominant middle school team when they were there and it has translated over to the high school years
QB will be the question next year!

Agreed , but have this year to develop. It’s this year but always looking to the next. We all know what the expectation is for this one and we would tend to agree that it’s playing for the title again. This group is as good if not better than the last and would imagine anything else would be a disappointment. Winning is a habit and this group is pretty damn good at winning

Reactions: sbbbfan
So, does anyone have a final tally of transfer players to Mount Airy and North Surry? Been outta the loop for a while.

• Haha
There is a 100 house development coming to Franklin Rd in the North Surry district. That could be alot of talent moving in.

I did know that. 510 students versua 581 students. Difference is if they were in North Carolina play in 1A football they wouldn't play all the cupcakes they play. Let's face it Western Virginia 1A and mostly to a football not very athletic. Now they look athletic because everybody else is not athletic. And if they came to North Carolina and played one a or two a football they get smacked around all the time with all that junk talking. Coach reminds me of the typical Coach in North Carolina not the exceptional ones. Electric kids run that mouth. He lets them. Until as you saw at the end of the game when things started to get punishingly physical for her his boys. He stopped the game and said that was enough. That's literally what happened he stopped the game and said that was enough. I think they were pretty good like I said. But don't nobody care about you being from Radford. Y'alls claim to fame is the best party in college and the country. But hell y'all screwed that up too. I just don't like you seeing you running your mouth about this area's football. You had no depth with kids going both ways a lot. By halftime early third quarter in a real game they would get that ass whooping they deserve.
You seem angry or have some kind of personal issue with Graham and I have no idea why. I simply gave an objective opinion about the scrimmage and it seemed to bother you, and I have nothing to do with Graham, and actually have relatives in
Mt Airy. What western VA football has to do with anything or Grahams coach or schedule or rather 'anyone cares about Radford VA or Radford University" has no meaning to the scrimmage and what Graham 'deserves" in your opinion has zero merit to the scrimmage. I will disagree on one thing after watching the scrimmage. Graham was the more physical team and not Mt.Airy. Just my opinion though.

There's treatment for anger my friend. I suggest you get some and avoid all the personal attacks and childish red herrings. You will sound smarter and more believable next time.

Happy Hour Football GIF by Washed Media

You seem angry or have some kind of personal issue with Graham and I have no idea why. I simply gave an objective opinion about the scrimmage and it seemed to bother you, and I have nothing to do with Graham, and actually have relatives in
Mt Airy. What western VA football has to do with anything or Grahams coach or schedule or rather 'anyone cares about Radford VA or Radford University" has no meaning to the scrimmage and what Graham 'deserves" in your opinion has zero merit to the scrimmage. I will disagree on one thing after watching the scrimmage. Graham was the more physical team and not Mt.Airy. Just my opinion though.

There's treatment for anger my friend. I suggest you get some and avoid all the personal attacks and childish red herrings. You will sound smarter and more believable next time.
A highly disagree. But I'm sure you wouldn't get that. I guess what I would have to say is I think your opinion is wrong but that's my opinion on your opinion which is your opinion on my opinion. Anger's healthy my man. Keeps the dogs out front. You know me Tarzan. You Jane. And you're definitely smarter than I am.

So, does anyone have a final tally of transfer players to Mount Airy and North Surry? Been outta the loop for a while.
Probably something like 35 of the 39 on the rooster are portal transfers. I am sure of. If you do not think so, just ask any of the 10 to 15 Mt Airy haters on here and I am sure they have names, addresses, school grade and status from last year ready to publish them.

Probably something like 35 of the 39 on the rooster are portal transfers. I am sure of. If you do not think so, just ask any of the 10 to 15 Mt Airy haters on here and I am sure they have names, addresses, school grade and status from last year ready to publish them.
I was looking for an honest answer, not a smart alek response. Why do you need to act like that? I really was wondering. Transfers happen every year.

Reactions: footballstar_17
A highly disagree. But I'm sure you wouldn't get that. I guess what I would have to say is I think your opinion is wrong but that's my opinion on your opinion which is your opinion on my opinion. Anger's healthy my man. Keeps the dogs out front. You know me Tarzan. You Jane. And you're definitely smarter than I am.
Righteous anger is healthy. Unrighteous anger isn't healthy. As for me being "smarter" then you, again...has zero relevance to the scrimmage. I think one thing is clear for Mt Airy....big difference in VA Class 1 and Class 2 as Galax one the title last year and Mt Airy dominated them in the scrimmage, but pretty obvious Galax ain't Graham. Also, keep in mind Mt Airy had one scrimmage under its belt going into the scrimmage with Graham. This was Graham's first scrimmage as VA is 1 week behind NC.

As for opinions, a diversity of both are a good thing and you have yours and I have mine. I'm staying with mine and I'm telling you (my opinion only) that if that were a regular season 4 quarter game, Graham would have came out on top. I know you feel opposite and I respect that.

TD Thursday Night picks his battles. Hence the hate. Just admit kiddos come from outside the district and we’ll be good.
Him and Whitley. No one said they cheated or did it illegally. They just get upset when someone says they have players out of district. Some of the people that live out of district go through MACS their whole life but they're still out of district! Feelings are fragile with some of them.

Reactions: BigRedFan27
No we just get bothered when we get asked the same question 100 times and the answer has already been told 50 times

North Surry is looking good. That East Surry North Surry game could be a good one. I am not sure what I am see with Mount Airy here. They just look disorganized.

Funny thing is #5 is still Mason, just a different one. He was pretty good on JV last year in his own right. The DBs better get their coverage figured out though. Not a lot of passing teams on schedule, but Starmount may make them pay if they don't figure it out. Collins is a good QB.

Bears got work to do in the secondary, so it appeared but after they pulled 15 back instead of man up it seemed they found a little something. Typical 1st season laundry all over the field. 4 was a stud , need to see more from 22 in the backfield wasn’t as impressive as I had heard. Outside of one throw to open the game , 2 ran it and threw it well. 4th down stop in the second seemed to change the entire game. We can talk about the secondary all we want but there wasn’t much pressure on the north qb all night. A lot of the issues were due to a much improved greyhound squad. Qb was impressive, rb was pretty good and they were physical on both sides of the ball. I will go out on a limb and say this will be north’s only loss till second round of the playoffs. Great job coach smith and staff. So with that said when you beat your cross town rival 50 - 14 when they are much improved from a year ago after losing what you lost all on a night that wasn’t your best, well that’s a hell of a job and a testament to how great this team can be once they get the kinks worked out

Last edited:
Bears got work to do in the secondary, so it appeared but after they pulled 15 back instead of man up it seemed they found a little something. Typical 1st season laundry all over the field. 4 was a stud , need to see more from 22 in the backfield wasn’t as impressive as I had heard. Outside of one throw to open the game but outside of that 2 ran it and threw it well. 4th down stop in the second seemed to change the entire game. We can talk about the secondary all we want but there wasn’t much pressure on the north qb all night. A lot of the issues were due to a much improved greyhound squad. Qb was impressive, rb was pretty good and they were physical on both sides of the ball. I will go out on a limb and say this will be north’s only loss till second round of the playoffs. Great job coach smith and staff. So with that said when you beat your cross town rival 50 - 14 when they are much improved from a year ago after losing what you lost all on a night that wasn’t your best, well that’s a hell of a job and a testament to how great this team can be once they get the kinks worked out
Gdawg not much pressure on qb????? MA had 6 sacks! Much respect but you wrong on this one. Not much 1st qrt then they turned it up.

I can agree with that somewhat, did have some penetration when they moved Dj down the line. All and all a good night. Pretty stoked for that East game next week after that robbinsville win. If anyone knows the Bears it’s this new coaching staff at East, Gonna be lots of emotions attached to this one. I dont it was as much what the bears done wrong in this one it is what North done right. Make no mistake about it this was a very good north team. They had a qb that was very good , receivers that run good clean crisp routes and caught the ball out front and a running back that was slippery ,quick and run the ball really hard. Look we said here saying this was a really good north team and the bears won 50 to 14. So you have to ask just how good can this bear team towards the end of the year? West looks good again, the usual pain in the A$$ picked up a big win against eastern Alamance tonight and Mountain Heritage has a lot of ambition behind them. Then just because the SMC had a bad opening night you have to believe one of those teams will be filthy good by years end. By season end this team will have established their own identity and I imagine they are gonna be just fine. Starmount game is gonna be a fun one, not to mention all of the bears non conference foes won big last night, which means someone will have to knock off the bears in the granite city late in the playoffs this year

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT