ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Airy at Reidsville-net broadcast

Old rivalry renewed. Greatest rivalry ever!!!! If you doubt it read on. I will prove it.

Haven't played since 1970. At one time these 2 programs dominated the State with one or the other playing for a State title. In a span of 15 years from 1937-1951 either Mt. Airy or Reidsville was in the State Championship game!!! Reidsville won 6 in this span and Mt. Airy won 4 State championships. Reidsville was 6-3 in championship games in this time period and Mt. Airy was 4-2. During the 15 year period the schools were 7-7-1 against each other.

Rivalry started in 1927. From 1927-1936 the record was 4-3-3 in favor of Reidsville. Reidsville had 3 State Championships in this time frame and Mt. Airy had 1.

So, from 1927 - 1951 the teams went toe to toe with Reidsville having a slight edge in victories 11-10-4!!

Reidsville won 9 State titles in this span and Mt. Airy won 5.

They kept playing until 1970 with Reidsville winning 4 more titles and Mt. Airy won 1. Reidsville has an overall record of 23-16-5 against Mt. Airy.

Usually whoever won this game went on to play for bigger stakes!

Show me a closer rivalry during any time period!!!

Reactions: gdawg74
Thomasville/Lexington maybe...just glanced over the rivalries tradition and numbers,just woke up gotta work tonight

Thomasville/Albemarle also not near as long,but numbers wise it's close

Thomasville/Reidsville was long and close in numbers

Reactions: gdawg74
Thanks, but just speculation of some good rivalries, but where is the proof? If you read my post clearly, it is unbelievable how competitive Reidsville and Mt. Airy were and at the highest level of State competition for so long.

Thomasville/Lexington maybe...just glanced over the rivalries tradition and numbers,just woke up gotta work tonight

Thomasville/Albemarle also not near as long,but numbers wise it's close

Thomasville/Reidsville was long and close in numbers

I’ve heard the stories that back in the day (due to crowd size & safety) a couple of the games were played at Bowman Gray Stadium

actually the played at Bowman-Gray in Winston for about a dozen years 1941 thru 1953 season
Actually it goes way back to 1929. In 29',30' and 32 the big game was played in Winston-Salem at Hanes Park
In 1934 the game was played at Memorial Stadium in Greensboro.
Many more played on neutral fields due to the biggest game of the year in North Carolina.

Also, the 1941 game was played in Mt. Airy. I have several articles from that game and every game. 1942 was played at Bowman Gray.

Reactions: Bearfan71
Actually it goes way back to 1929. In 29',30' and 32 the big game was played in Winston-Salem at Hanes Park
In 1934 the game was played at Memorial Stadium in Greensboro.
Many more played on neutral fields due to the biggest game of the year in North Carolina.

Also, the 1941 game was played in Mt. Airy. I have several articles from that game and every game. 1942 was played at Bowman Gray.
wish you could post some of these stories...would make interesting reading...……...

Reactions: Ooooner
Never thought I would be saying this but I am afraid Mount Airy will have the worse lose in like forever Friday night against Reidsville. Just a bad feeling with so few seniors and so many sophomores ! :(:(:( . Also must watch out for WSPrep and of coarse a lose to East Surry probably coming. Been a many years sense I did not feel good about our Bears. Of coarse every school has rebuilding years. Reidsville will take that lose to East Surry out on Mount Airy. . Just hope no one gets hurt on either team ! o_Oo_Oo_O

Daddy Doug, where is the Mt. Airy field located compared to where it was when Reidsville last visited in 1969 (twice) and it was called Floyd Poore Park?

Daddy Doug, where is the Mt. Airy field located compared to where it was when Reidsville last visited in 1969 (twice) and it was called Floyd Poore Park?
It was at Floyd Poore Park many a Friday night and a group of us already out of school used to play football on Sunday afternoon on the field beside Floyd Poore Park, no pads and I had to work at Proctor Silex the next day so sore I could hardly move. Loved it though. Any on here remember that dought it. Also in the earlier years, it was played at South Main School which was the High School before the new High School was built at its present location.

Last edited:
It was at Floyd Poore Park many a Friday night and a group of us already out of school used to play football on Sunday afternoon on the field beside Floyd Poore Park, no pads and I had to work at Proctor Silex the next day so sore iI could hardly move. Loved it though. Any on here remember that dought it. Also in the earlier years, it was played at South Main School which was the High School before the new High School was built at its present location.
Basically beside it now but at a different angle.
Sorry, I just noticed you asked Daddy Doug. but the field ran at an angle around about 15 to 20 degrees to the left of what it does now. Daddy Doug, correct me if I am wrong on the angle. I spent a lot of time there but many years ago.

Was Floyd Poore Park on the high school campus? And were there not permanent stands on the home side?

Was Floyd Poore Park on the high school campus? And were there not permanent stands on the home side?
Basically where it is now. Just all totally new.
Floyd Poore Park had bleachers on both sides but when the new field was built it was not facing the exact same direction and new bleachers field house and the old field house is used for the visiting team both sides. Food stands not on both sides but you had pay booths on both sides.

Last edited:
Not to rain on your parade but...how many of these state titles were actually only for our half of the state. Elkin in 1967 for example

Basically where it is now. Just all totally new.
Floyd Poore Park had bleachers on both sides and I am remembering a press box on both sides or it was on the visitor side, both sides I think, but when the new field was built it was not facing in the same direction and new bleachers field house and food stand were built on both new. It was a whole new field totally built around 1974 to1976 best I remember.
If I remember correctly, the vacate field we played on ran in somewhat the same direction it does now.

Last edited:
Not to rain on your parade but...how many of these state titles were actually only for our half of the state. Elkin in 1967 for example
The NCHSAA had regional "state champions" from 1961 to 1971 ... pretty much subdivided champs as there are today (since 2002). Anytime a school wins the final playoff game the association allows, they are state champs, IMO.

The NCHSAA had regional "state champions" from 1961 to 1971 ... pretty much subdivided champs as there are today (since 2002). Anytime a school wins the final playoff game the association allows, they are state champs, IMO.
1968 was only a western and eastern championship and Mount Airy won the state western championship. The East never played the west until a few years later for a State east-west champion,

1968 was only a western and eastern championship and Mount Airy won the state western championship.
And Reidsville did the same in 1969, defeating Mt. Airy 35-12 at Floyd Poore Park to end the Bears' 25-game winning streak. Mt. Airy and Reidsville were in the same conference at that time and Mt. Airy had won the regular season game two months earlier 14-0.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
The 1969 Reidsville team was just inducted into the Reidsville Football Hall of Fame last weekend.

The 1969 Reidsville team was just inducted into the Reidsville Football Hall of Fame last weekend.
Reidsville has it this year, the first year since 1969 or 1970. Thinking 1970 was the last year they played,may be wrong. I keep no records, just go by memory which is failing some.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Correct, last meeting was in 1970 at Reidsville's Kiker Stadium. Reidsville won that game 34-0 as part of an undefeated (12-0-1) season that ended with a championship game win over Pisgah.

This year will be tuff for the bears when they go to reidsville, next year close. But one thing is for certain, high school football needs rivalries like this one to remain. Awesome to see it renewed

This year will be tuff for the bears when they go to reidsville, next year close. But one thing is for certain, high school football needs rivalries like this one to remain. Awesome to see it renewed
You cannot honestly think that MA will play Reidsville close next year. The talent that MA has is young, yes, however I don’t see their ceiling being anywhere near where Reidsville consistently is. Nobody in MAs program can contain #1 Pass he will dominate next season!!

Reactions: Illuminati704
Unless MA rolls out a Boaz or Gosnell, they just will never have the athletic ability to keep up with Reidsville.

You cannot honestly think that MA will play Reidsville close next year. The talent that MA has is young, yes, however I don’t see their ceiling being anywhere near where Reidsville consistently is. Nobody in MAs program can contain #1 Pass he will dominate next season!!

Rams also will have their Qb back next season.

shout-out to Daddy Doug /TGT on the history; was 7 years old the last time these 2 met so I remember nothing; always good to hear about the past history of your schools program; good luck to both!

Reactions: DaddyDoug
shout-out to Daddy Doug /TGT on the history; was 7 years old the last time these 2 met so I remember nothing; always good to hear about the past history of your schools program; good luck to both!

Thank you Bareman. Coming from the most knowledgeable, involved and dedicated Bear supporter, that means a lot to me. I was 15 and a Sophomore at Mount Airy High School when the two last met. We still have a lot of players around from that team and they are great to listen to and learn.

Thank you Bareman. Coming from the most knowledgeable, involved and dedicated Bear supporter, that means a lot to me. I was 15 and a Sophomore at Mount Airy High School when the two last met. We still have a lot of players around from that team and they are great to listen to and learn.
Dang, 1970 I was 19 turning 20 in December. Time sure flies.

Not entirely true. Robbinsville has 13 + 1 that was a regional basically. 1965 was basically a regional but 1969 was a real title just like any other. 1a played state titles starting in 68. Other classes started later.

Thanks to all, I’ve lived in MA my entire life and didn’t know the places existed, really enjoy the old broadcasts of the football games. 80 percent of the people I work with live in reidsville or the surrounding area. I hear a lot about Reidsville football. Always great to here the history of teams that are as tradition rich as s the Bears and Rams. Thanks to daddy Doug and bareman for all they do. Thank you to td, enjoyed your trip down memory lane as well

I don't think this was answered but yes it was and the school parking lot was used as parking plus street-side parking on several streets around the school area, especially in rivalry games. I did say there were permanent stands on both sides. I meet and dated my first true love and dated for 2 years at a Mount Airy North Surry rivalry game. Of course, she was from NS or I would not have brought this up. She still has a place in my heart today ! LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT