ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell vs Draughn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good game by the wildcats. You all have a good ball team. 5 just ran through Mitchell last night. Game was different than I expected. Not the result just how it played out. Radio said like 800 total yards in the game. 38 first downs. Just a whole lot of offense with a little d scattered in. Not often you see a game with one back having 248 yards on the ground and the other team have 2 backs over 100. #30 had 118 and #4 had 174.

Can someone, anyone explain why the white hat had just the down marker go out on the field on the first and goal at the 1? Seen a lot of football and never seen that.

Go Mountaineers

Good game by the wildcats. You all have a good ball team. 5 just ran through Mitchell last night. Game was different than I expected. Not the result just how it played out. Radio said like 800 total yards in the game. 38 first downs. Just a whole lot of offense with a little d scattered in. Not often you see a game with one back having 248 yards on the ground and the other team have 2 backs over 100. #30 had 118 and #4 had 174.

Can someone, anyone explain why the white hat had just the down marker go out on the field on the first and goal at the 1? Seen a lot of football and never seen that.

Go Mountaineers
Don't know. Wasn't much of a crew they seemed confused on yardage among other things all night..

The easiest thing to do after a loss is to blame the coaches. Happens from little league all the way through the pros. The reality of it is that if a high school team puts 57 points on the board it’s not coaching or it’s not you beating yourself.

Reactions: VIKINGCOUNTRY1991
Mitchell has a great coaching staff, just made a bad decision on 4th down. They also need to get the plays in quicker to avoid waisting timeouts.
You are correct. The 4th down was big. I remember when I watched y’all play Murphy he went for it on 4th down and didn’t punt. I thought then that changed that game giving Murphy the short field. My buddy on the radio was wondering why Cooper didn’t get as many carries after he was running all over Draughn at 1st.

You are correct. The 4th down was big. I remember when I watched y’all play Murphy he went for it on 4th down and didn’t punt. I thought then that changed that game giving Murphy the short field. My buddy on the radio was wondering why Cooper didn’t get as many carries after he was running all over Draughn at 1st.
I can only guess, because he plays every down on defense as well and they were trying to keep him a fresh as possible.

Mitchell has a great coaching staff, just made a bad decision on 4th down. They also need to get the plays in quicker to avoid waisting timeouts.
From an unbiased view of someone that came up the mtn to catch a good game, the decision to go for it on 4th was not a great decision but it was a necessary decision. Mitchell’s D hadn’t stopped Draughn for the first four possessions. The Mitchell staff seemed to take that into consideration. I undoubtedly feel that Draughn would’ve scored from the 25 or the opposite 45. In games you know will come down to the wire I think decisions like that have to be made. If they would’ve gotten a 1st down and drove down the field and scored most would have applauded his riskiness.

From an unbiased view of someone that came up the mtn to catch a good game, the decision to go for it on 4th was not a great decision but it was a necessary decision. Mitchell’s D hadn’t stopped Draughn for the first four possessions. The Mitchell staff seemed to take that into consideration. I undoubtedly feel that Draughn would’ve scored from the 25 or the opposite 45. In games you know will come down to the wire I think decisions like that have to be made. If they would’ve gotten a 1st down and drove down the field and scored most would have applauded his riskiness.
I would have applauded but I would have said well they got away with a dumb decision.
What they should have done by the 2nd quarter was go out of the zone D like they finally did in the second half. Our secondary couldn't cover and in like one TD when it was well covered the QB just dropped it right in his receivers hands. You can't give him time I would have sent the house he might still burn you but couldn't be no worse.
Second half they started putting pressure on him and he wasn't as near accurate while running. Of course someone will say well it was over at halftime and Druaghn eased up but the thing is they didn't they keep playing the second as hard as they did the first and scored 14 points.

Last edited:
The easiest thing to do after a loss is to blame the coaches. Happens from little league all the way through the pros. The reality of it is that if a high school team puts 57 points on the board it’s not coaching or it’s not you beating yourself.
Coaching decisions cost us one TD otherwise coaching desisions also put 42 on the board so I’d say good coaching and most points Draugn has allowed other than their loss

I wish we they recognize coaches etc at Mitchell but they would study the history a little better. The night the recognized Coach Coggins he mentioned Mitchell football starting in 1978-79 season ( wrong) then last night recognizing the pass coaches funny after that flub they recognize Coach Doug Greene the first Mitchell football coach which the first year was 1975-76 season 78-79 was the first year the school itself opened. My oldest brother was co-captain on the first team they picked one from Bowman and one from Harris, he still has a poster with the team photo and schedule.
But then last night another flub he announced that Leland Riddle lead the first Mitchell team to have a winning season in the 1983-84 season wrong again my senior year with Coach Coggins 1982-83 season was Mitchell's first winning season 6-4 and the first team to play in the Mitchell field before that all the games were played at the Harris field , unfortunately we lost the first game in the new stadium to Enka.
1982 Scores....
Enka 14. Mitchell 6
McDowell 14 Mitchell 0
Mitchell 20 Avery 6
Mitchell 20 Hendersonville 18
Mitchell 20 Owen 14
Mitchell 27 Madison 21
North Buncombe 24 Mitchell 7
Mitchell 50 Polk Central 24
West Henderson 26 Mitchell 12
Mitchell 8 Mountain Heritage 7

I wish we they recognize coaches etc at Mitchell but they would study the history a little better. The night the recognized Coach Coggins he mentioned Mitchell football starting in 1978-79 season ( wrong) then last night recognizing the pass coaches funny after that flub they recognize Coach Doug Greene the first Mitchell football coach which the first year was 1975-76 season 78-79 was the first year the school itself opened. My oldest brother was co-captain on the first team they picked one from Bowman and one from Harris, he still has a poster with the team photo and schedule.
But then last night another flub he announced that Leland Riddle lead the first Mitchell team to have a winning season in the 1983-84 season wrong again my senior year with Coach Coggins 1982-83 season was Mitchell's first winning season 6-4 and the first team to play in the Mitchell field before that all the games were played at the Harris field , unfortunately we lost the first game in the new stadium to Enka.
1982 Scores....
Enka 14. Mitchell 6
McDowell 14 Mitchell 0
Mitchell 20 Avery 6
Mitchell 20 Owen 14
Mitchell 27 Madison 21
So football started playing at Mitchell bf the school opened????

Reactions: RealStihl
Old Mountaineer can you tell us the years Bowman and Harris didn’t play because of a riot that broke out at a game? I remember my great uncles talking bout it they were banned from playing ea other a year or so I’m thinking in the 50s?

Reactions: RealStihl
1982 Scores....
Enka 14. Mitchell 6
McDowell 14 Mitchell 0
Mitchell 20 Avery 6
Mitchell 20 Owen 14
Mitchell 27 Madison 21
Awesome you have those scores we had a good defense sounds like and I’m thinking we were 3a

So football started playing at Mitchell bf the school opened????
Yes the sports combined first after the consolidation was voted for while they started building the school. The last game between Bowman and Harris we knew would be the last one. My brother was a junior and that day had 104° temperature so he stayed clear of mom because he knew she would insist he wouldn't play but there was no way he was missing that game. Unfortunately Bowman lost even though they had the better team that year as far as record goes and had at least twice to win one a TD that would have won it was called back because of a stupid block in the back way back no were near the play then one a play in the end inside the 10 all the QB who was really good but when he could have just pitched the ball to the RB for the winning TD decide to keep it and he got stopped. And their kicker who had hit a thing all year hit the winning field goal.
But I believe over all Bowman won more football games than Harris over the whole history. The best teams Harris had was under Doug Greene who was Mitchell's first coach he was a Bowman graduate I have a photo of him and my dad in their football uniforms with leather helmets in the early '50s.

Old Mountaineer can you tell us the years Bowman and Harris didn’t play because of a riot that broke out at a game? I remember my great uncles talking bout it they were banned from playing ea other a year or so I’m thinking in the 50s?
No my dad was playing in the early 50's well I guess 49- 51 after quitting school at the beginning of his junior year and served in the Navy from '46 -'48 but they had more issues with Cranberry high school in Avery county he said one year after the game Cranberry stold their clothes and the Bowman boys had wear their uniforms home . My was QB in a single wing offence so basically a glorified RB and punter which he was offered a football scholarship for but didn't go they hit him while punting and the bone in his right arm was sticking out of the skin he's arm was a little crooked the rest of his life.
But dad was at that game it was at Harris sometime in the 60's and both stands went empty and was fighting he said he just stayed out of it. I believe he said something about a guy with a knife and a deputy sheriff hitting people with his billy club or something. But they was always fighting even at basketball games but this one was so bad that the state ban them from playing for two years.

Last edited:
I feel like draughn could have put up 14-21 more points easily. We’ll see who wins the Mitchell vs MH game.
While I won't go as far as saying Mitchell would win a rematch but I will say if they could have put up 14-21 more points they would have because it wasn't for the lack of trying. They kept their starters in trying to score more points including even putting their QB in the kick return in the second half. I thought was dumb keeping the QB in he hurt his finger or something in the second and one of the two TD's they got in the second he was tackled in a way that could have easily twisted his ankle. They even tried score again after Mitchell made it 57-42 after Mitchell kicked an onsides kick and Druaghn got it around the 50 by passing and even calling a timeout when all they had to do was take a knee which after about 15 or so yards of gain they finally did because just a few seconds left.

While I won't go as far as saying Mitchell would win a rematch but I will say if they could have put up 14-21 more points they would have because it wasn't for the lack of trying. They kept their starters in trying to score more points including even putting their QB in the kick return in the second half. I thought was dumb keeping the QB in he hurt his finger or something in the second and one of the two TD's they got in the second he was tackled in a way that could have easily twisted his ankle. They even tried score again after Mitchell made it 57-42 after Mitchell kicked an onsides kick and Druaghn got it around the 50 by passing and even calling a timeout when all they had to do was take a knee which after about 15 or so yards of gain they finally did because just a few seconds left.

I asked him after the game and He said wasn’t hurt. The kick return happened because the hands team was in anticipating an onside kick from Mitchell. He’s seems smart enough to know how to avoid big hits and get out of bounds when needed. Looking forward to the Madison game this week and the Rosman one next week. Running clocks I hope early

I asked him after the game and He said wasn’t hurt. The kick return happened because the hands team was in anticipating an onside kick from Mitchell. He’s seems smart enough to know how to avoid big hits and get out of bounds when needed. Looking forward to the Madison game this week and the Rosman one next week. Running clocks I hope early
Well I'm glad he's not hurt don't want any kid hurt I hope the one that was Friday night is because you could tell by his face he was in pain. But my point while yes I noticed he tries to avoid hits running out of bounds anything can happen in a game and the tackle I'm referring to that was on our side were I could see if clearly, I didn't mean he was hurt but the way he was tackled low on his legs which is the best way to bring him down with them long legs could have easily twisted his ankle.
The reason to put him on the kick team doesn't make sense this was earlier in the second half plus if you're expecting an onside kick then you put your good hands team in the front but this kick he was all the way in the back as the kick returner.

Well I'm glad he's not hurt don't want any kid hurt I hope the one that was Friday night is because you could tell by his face he was in pain. But my point while yes I noticed he tries to avoid hits running out of bounds anything can happen in a game and the tackle I'm referring to that was on our side were I could see if clearly, I didn't mean he was hurt but the way he was tackled low on his legs which is the best way to bring him down with them long legs could have easily twisted his ankle.
The reason to put him on the kick team doesn't make sense this was earlier in the second half plus if you're expecting an onside kick then you put your good hands team in the front but this kick he was all the way in the back as the kick returner.
I agree with you

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT