ADVERTISEMENT

Mideastern Conference predictions

So you have changed your mind and made a prediction before conference play?
The conference is def a two team race. It would not surprise me if NH wins the conf this year. I am hearing Smith is going to run the offense out of the spread like the Cats are use to but he plans on running it a lot more. I am also hearing NH doesn't have quality RB's this season. That isn't a good formula for winning the conference. Hoggard run def should be very strong. We will see.
So you took the bait? Never met you but figured that statement would draw a response. You have blinders on when talking about the Vikes which makes you an easy target. Hoggard could easily finish behind NH, Laney and West Brunswick. Where is the offense going come from? The three teams I mentioned all have offensive stars and at the high school level that usually makes the difference when conference time rolls around. That defense you are bragging on better be a good one.

So you took the bait? Never met you but figured that statement would draw a response. You have blinders on when talking about the Vikes which makes you an easy target. Hoggard could easily finish behind NH, Laney and West Brunswick. Where is the offense going come from? The three teams I mentioned all have offensive stars and at the high school level that usually makes the difference when conference time rolls around. That defense you are bragging on better be a good one.

What ever. You flip flopped and I called you out. That has nothing to do with what team I pull for. If you want to some how turn this into a middle school type game I can give you the names of a handful of posters who would love to play with you. As for me, I will pass.

EPIC! Bro, don't be mad. Even though they are never useful I still read your posts.

EPIC! Bro, don't be mad. Even though they are never useful I still read your posts.
I am not mad. I just struggle knowing when people are serious and when they are playing middle school games. It's been a while since I played those games so please forgive me. As for reading or not reading my post, I will not loose any sleep over that.

BB&T Jamboree schedule
South Columbus-Laney (edge to Bucs)
WRH-Hoggard (Bulldogs will have at least 2 long TD runs, edge to Bulldogs)
West Brunswick-Ashley (edge to Trojans)
Whiteville-New Hanover (Wildcats by 2 tds, wolfpack not as talented)
South Brunswick-North Brunswick (edge to Scorps)[/QUOTE

Beautiful night for football with great crowd.
Laney 21 SC 0 (SC looked weak and slow)
Hoggard 14 WRH 7 (Vikes had 4 def staters out still no long TD)
WB 19 AHS 14 (Eagles were scrappy)
NH 7 Whiteville 0 (Whiteville controlled ball but couldn't score)
NB 34 SB 7 (Complete beat down)

That doesn't sound too good for my stallions. I don't know if I can take another LONG season!

I hate it for SC. They have a proud program and great fans. Laney is not a strong team this year. They do have a great RB but they are average at best everywhere else. SC has some size on the lines but they weren't getting any kind of push against the smaller Bucs. Good luck to the Stallions.

portcity FB said.."If you want to some how turn this into a middle school type game I can give you the names of a handful of posters who would love to play with you. As for me, I will pass.
hotterhand says.."bullshirt" I know you are but what am I?

My take from last night.
Laney- Small team across the board. Watkins is a great looking kid and will lead the conference in rushing this year. The Bucs defense really swarmed to the ball and tackled well. Green may be a more accurate passer than Lane but isn't as explosive. They will play hard but I don't see them beating Hoggard or NH.
Hoggard- Hoggard surprised many with a 14-7 win over a loaded WRH team. Hoggard defense played well despite have 3 DL and the MLB out. Two of those players may be their best defensive players this season. If they get better in their secondary they will be a very good defensive team. The offense looked good and the smaller O line got good push. Both QB throw well and they will take what you give them. They will not be an explosive, quick strike offense. Penalties and negative plays will kill drive with this team. I still think they are the favorites to win the conference.
Ashley- The Eagles came out with a lot of energy and their defense really swarmed to the ball. The defense doesn't have a lot of size and not much speed. Their offense looked awful at times and much better than much better. Turner will try to change the culture and the attitude of these kids. I don't see them making any noise this season.
NH- The wildcats have a good looking team and they have good size on both lines. The QB missed some throws but I think he will be the best QB in the conference this year. Walston is a player and a difference maker. They don't have those one or two guys that can break it on any giving play. They did run the ball a lot out of the spread. If they can beat Hoggard they will win the conference.

Last edited:
Port, good thoughts on the New Hanover county teams ... Let me add

Laney - will be ok, but hard to tell against South Columbus (I thought I would never said that). Running game looks good, but Watkins isn't the only weapon .... Beckett got some touches and looked very good. If the Bucs can give him several touches and Greene continues to throw well, they will be how to defend. I agree that New Hanover and Hoggard are still the teams to beat.

Hoggard - Line is small, but was moving the ball really well on the ground and in the air. Hoggard mixed the run and pass really well. The defense gave up some big gainers, but against Wallace ... That's a given. I'll be interested on how well Hoggard will do against a school that throws the ball. Overall I'm surprised how well the Vikings played and looked better than I thought they would be.

Ashley - Is truly a work in process. Turner looks like he has the players in the right spot, but not the athletes to make the play. The players are playing with a lot more passion, but still have a long way to go. Ashley ran the ball a lot and I don't know if that is the right offense for those type of players (what do I know ... I'm a old man who never coached a down in his life). I see a lot improvement and a lot of hope. Screamin' Eagles will win some games and yes ... one or two conference games are possible.

New Hanover - I don't know why, but this was a difficult game to watch against Whiteville. I think it was the flow of the game. I think new Hanover had the ball for five or six plays in the first 12 minutes. Defense looked better, but kept giving up first downs and giving Whiteville opportunities. Bottom line is that they didn't let them score. Offense is going to be solid. I felt Estes was looking for Walston too much. I know one time he threw in triple coverage to Walston. Still have my money on the Wildcats to win the conference.

West Brunswick - Played well, but it was against Ashley. West looked better and looked fast than they did a year ago. Looked like the Trojans were trying to throw a little, but didn't looked good doing it. They looked improved and I think West is better right now than South.

South Brunswick - I thought they would be better this year, but the Cougars played so poorly (and I was tired) ... I didn't stay for the whole game, but what I saw was a lot of issues. It's early and Finn made adjustments last year. I expect the same this year.

After this weekend's scrimmages ... Second thoughts on conference standings

1. New Hanover - They are still my pick, but I don't feel as comfortable as I did originally. It's not New Hanover's performance against Whiteville, but how well Hoggard and Laney looked. Defense stayed on the field too long, but I see hope

2. Hoggard - A lot of questions a month ago ... Seemed to be answered in a good way for the Vikings.

3. Laney - I feel stronger about them contending, but they haven't been there and the others above them have ... Could be the difference

4. West Brunswick - Looked better, but need a passing game. Their athletes will keep them in games.

5. Ashley - Turner has them playing harder and not quitting. West looked like they were going to run over the Screamin' Eagles, but they kept fighting. I can see a 3-8 or 4-7 season. You got to crawl before you can walk.

6. South Brunswick - Wow .... I really thought they could improve from a year ago, but they have lost a lot from the year before.

7. Topsail - When your coach talks about how well the JV played in a scrimmage and no thoughts on the varsity (Star News article) ... Doesn't sound like the varsity has much. Could they be worse than a year ago?

I know it was a scrimmage and not a lot is shown, but glad the official start is a week away

7. Topsail - When your coach talks about how well the JV played in a scrimmage and no thoughts on the varsity (Star News article) ... Doesn't sound like the varsity has much. Could they be worse than a year ago?

Well Monk, without spilling the beans too much I'm gonna say the Pirates varsity WILL NOT finish in last place. I saw them play last night and although the competition wasn't formidable they took care of business with precision. They could be the surprise team in this area. Can't wait for Friday Night Lights!!

I think to be fair I need to make them before the first week.

#1 New Hanover-Once conference starts I think their offense will be rolling
#2 Hoggard-They actually looked decent on offense which was a ? Sasser needs to tighten that spiral or there will be some pic 6's
#3 Laney-They have talent but not sure they can go 4 quarters with NH and Hoggard
#4 West Brunswick-Bubba McCray will carry them past most conf teams.
#5 Topsail-Shhhhhh...sleeper
#6 Ashley-May be better than I'm giving them credit for but if history repeats.....
#7 South Brunswick-They have a Top 3 conf RB and little else
Feel good about #1,#6 and #7. #2&#3 could flip flop as well as #4&#5.

Has anyone seen or heard from ct147 lately? Seems Northside put a hurting on his bears at the Onslow county jamboree. What's up ct? You seem to lurk on posts everywhere, yes I know you will see this.

I think Laneys win was against a down SC team. I don't see them being better than last season on offense. Green may be more accurate but he isn't a treat to score like Lane. The defense was flying to the ball but SC didn't have much speed and the O line wasn't exactly firing off the ball. This isn't a defense that's going to win games.
NH defense didn't look bad but whiteville moved the ball and controlled the click. This isn't the same whiteville team from last season. They lost a ton off that team.
SB stated off very slow last season. I was on the field and NB may have been the best looking team to the the eye, good size with plenty of athletes. I think SB will improve again this season.

I think to be fair I need to make them before the first week.

#1 New Hanover-Once conference starts I think their offense will be rolling
#2 Hoggard-They actually looked decent on offense which was a ? Sasser needs to tighten that spiral or there will be some pic 6's
#3 Laney-They have talent but not sure they can go 4 quarters with NH and Hoggard
#4 West Brunswick-Bubba McCray will carry them past most conf teams.
#5 Topsail-Shhhhhh...sleeper
#6 Ashley-May be better than I'm giving them credit for but if history repeats.....
#7 South Brunswick-They have a Top 3 conf RB and little else
Feel good about #1,#6 and #7. #2&#3 could flip flop as well as #4&#5.
Hotterhand,
I agree with what you are saying. However, I was impressed with West Brunswick at the Jamboree and I would pick them over Laney for 3rd. Also was impressed with the Jones kid, the other QB for Hoggard. Tall and seemed very composed. Wonder if he could be the eventual starter?

Hotterhand,
I agree with what you are saying. However, I was impressed with West Brunswick at the Jamboree and I would pick them over Laney for 3rd. Also was impressed with the Jones kid, the other QB for Hoggard. Tall and seemed very composed. Wonder if he could be the eventual starter?
I agree about WB. They looked great. I can see them beating Laney. Jones and Sasser are neck and neck, they will both have their opportunity to win the spot. They are really pushing each other.

Hoggard's QBs went a combined 7-10 for 107 yards & 2 TDs (according to the Star News). Sounds like a good problem

Poor ole Laney can't get a single bit of support. They will finish no lower than 3rd and could finish 2nd. For those that have seen Lane play QB last year and Greene this year knows that there is a quickness difference but what I saw from Greene was good judgement and he's still capable of running the ball effectively. That's where people get lost in predicting outcomes, Lane was quicker so he was better, not necessarily. That first game against WRH will probably be an eye opener for Greene but I get the feeling he will be just fine.

Hey PortcityFB looking forward to the Hoggard/Clinton...if I'm not mistaken believe this is the first meeting between the two teams

Hey PortcityFB looking forward to the Hoggard/Clinton...if I'm not mistaken believe this is the first meeting between the two teams
I think it is. I am good friends with the Lewis family and Im looking forward to the game. I know the darkhorses will be ready to play. I hope we can contain that running back, he is a stud!

DarkHorse,
Is this a Home and Home series with Hoggard? Would love to see the Vikings at Dark Horse Stadium. I was on that '76 Dark Horse team that lost to Canton Pisgah in the cold. Back in the Bobby Robinson Era.

Wildcat, is Estes getting any looks .... Kid has a great arm, but his size could hurt him. They have him listed at 5'11", but a parent on the team said he is probably 5'9" - 5'10"

Wildcat, is Estes getting any looks .... Kid has a great arm, but his size could hurt him. They have him listed at 5'11", but a parent on the team said he is probably 5'9" - 5'10"
Not sure since this is his first year as a starter. I know his parents went to Arkansas and are big fans. Great kids and has the grades to go wherever he wants.

Not sure since this is his first year as a starter. I know his parents went to Arkansas and are big fans. Great kids and has the grades to go wherever he wants.

I think he will be All Conference this year at QB ... Good luck to the kid wherever he ends up

DarkHorse,
Is this a Home and Home series with Hoggard? Would love to see the Vikings at Dark Horse Stadium. I was on that '76 Dark Horse team that lost to Canton Pisgah in the cold. Back in the Bobby Robinson Era.

Yes I believe so...next year the Vikings will make the trip to Sampson County...we just ended a home and home series with Laney over the last two seasons

He's got a big senior led offensive line that should give him time. Most important part of the offense no matter what you run.

DarkHorse,
If NH was not playing Scotland Co. the same night I would be there to see the Horses whoop up on the Vikings.

Would not go that far think it's going be a competitive game Clinton is breaking in some new linemen on the O line what concerns me is Hoggard returning 10 on defense....if the line performs we have the athletes to give Hoggard fits probably the fastest/best Clinton backfield since the mid 90's

Hoggard's defense is good but I think they have lost a few starters to transfer. The defense is still their strength.

High school talent cycles around every few years and Clinton looks to be in a good spot given their OL comes together. Kicking myself for not catching one of their games last year but that won't happen this season.

Another thing I'm concerned with is Hoggard will have plenty of games under their belt(4 games) and should be in form while Clinton will only have played 2 games before this Sept 18 meeting....but still looking forward to a great match up with 2 great programs

There is a lot of questions to be answered and plenty of things to work out with all our local teams. First two weeks are a good bar for Hoggard. HS played well against some of the stronger teams in Raleigh last year. I know 71st lost a lot from last year but I've heard they are looking good. I hope Hoggard is healthy and ready to go by week 5.

My thoughts on conference finishes is as follows (2014 ADMs included)

1. Hoggard- (1780) (6-0) 9-2 overall
2. New Hanover- (1665) (5-1) 8-3
3. West Brunswick- (1352) (3-3) 6-5
T3. Laney- (2128) (3-3) 5-6
5. Ashley- (1853) (2-4) 3-8
6. Topsail- (1254) (1-5) 4-7
T6. South Brunswick- (1090) (1-5) 3-8

I added the ADMs to show it's almost criminal that S.Brunswick is in a conference with schools that are such much larger. With that said Finn has done a nice job.

I have to add the hiring of Earl Smith is interesting. Last time he led the Wildcats for 2 years he started to turn around big-time after their dismal late 90s, but I thought the turnaround had already started prior to his arrival. In Meehans last year in 2000 the Cats were 1-9 but lost 5 games by 7 points or less. That may have been the most snake bitten team of all time. They were just a few plays away from being a playoff team. The 2 years Smith was at Hanover they were 11-11 but only had 4 wins against 4A teams and 2 of those were against brand-new Ashley. The 2003 NHHS team that lost to Hoggard 14-12 in 2nd round of playoffs the year after Smith left was way better IMO. Don't get me wrong he's a very good coach and did great things at Millbrook & WFR, but those schools have still been mostly succesful after he left. I just think it a strange hire to me and add in his age and the jury is still out to me....but then again the same thing can be said about Hoggard after Braswell stepped down and they replaced him with an unproven coach in Underwood.

Didn't catch any games Friday night (went to South Columbus , but got rained out and was busy Saturday). New Hanover seemed to roll in their first game, but heard Hoke didn't help themselves with turnovers. New Hanover took advantage of their mistakes and that is what you are suppose to do. Good win for the Wildcats. Wallace flexed their muscle against Laney and heard that Watkins was held in check for most of the night. If Laney can't run the ball, they are in trouble. I expect Watkins and the Bucs to get it rolling. Ashley seemed to put up a fight (which I thought would happen with Turner), but came up short against White Oak ( I have no idea what White Oak has). Hoggard won, but heard it was played in a down pour ... Port City could probably add more to this on how the Vikings played. Topsail (hotterhand's sleeper) got a big win over Trask, but it's Trask. West Brunswick looked good according to a buddy of mine. He said the defense played really well and gave a big play for a TD, but played stout the rest of the night. South Brunswick put up a lot of points against West Columbus, but gave up a lot too. If the Cougars can't stop anybody, it's going to be a long year.

Last edited:
Monk that was a good rundown of what went down this week. I only made it to the Topsail game and your right it's Trask. I think they dressed around 22 but they were scrappy. I know the box score said 32-12 but Topsail really was their biggest foe all night with the penalties ( over 100 yards) and blown assignments but that's to be expected in game one for all teams. Even the refs tried to help Trask with 2 drives that had 5 downs...wth?

My thoughts on conference finishes is as follows (2014 ADMs included)

1. Hoggard- (1780) (6-0) 9-2 overall
2. New Hanover- (1665) (5-1) 8-3
3. West Brunswick- (1352) (3-3) 6-5
T3. Laney- (2128) (3-3) 5-6
5. Ashley- (1853) (2-4) 3-8
6. Topsail- (1254) (1-5) 4-7
T6. South Brunswick- (1090) (1-5) 3-8

I added the ADMs to show it's almost criminal that S.Brunswick is in a conference with schools that are such much larger. With that said Finn has done a nice job.

I have to add the hiring of Earl Smith is interesting. Last time he led the Wildcats for 2 years he started to turn around big-time after their dismal late 90s, but I thought the turnaround had already started prior to his arrival. In Meehans last year in 2000 the Cats were 1-9 but lost 5 games by 7 points or less. That may have been the most snake bitten team of all time. They were just a few plays away from being a playoff team. The 2 years Smith was at Hanover they were 11-11 but only had 4 wins against 4A teams and 2 of those were against brand-new Ashley. The 2003 NHHS team that lost to Hoggard 14-12 in 2nd round of playoffs the year after Smith left was way better IMO. Don't get me wrong he's a very good coach and did great things at Millbrook & WFR, but those schools have still been mostly succesful after he left. I just think it a strange hire to me and add in his age and the jury is still out to me....but then again the same thing can be said about Hoggard after Braswell stepped down and they replaced him with an unproven coach in Underwood.
TRoy
What games do u have Hoggard and NH losing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT