ADVERTISEMENT

MEC Week 7

Hoggard
Laney
NB
WB
Hoggard will be the underdog by at least 7 but I think they will put it together enough to win at home in a close one.

New Hanover @ Hoggard - I hate this is not at the end of the season. Hoggard's poor defense against New Hanover athletes. Might be too much for Hoggard ... Only chance is that New Hanover's QB has thrown five interceptions in the last two games. New Hanover should win this one.

South Brunswick @ Laney - South Brunswick has not looked good at all this season except for their win on opening night. Laney is quietly becoming the favorite to win the conference and is gaining confidence each week. Laney wins this one easily.

North Brunswick @ Ashley - Ashley is looking like it's old self after being dominated last week. North Brunswick is not very big, but they have athletes. Without the injured Plyer ... Ashley will struggle to win two more this year. North Brunswick by a couple touchdowns

Topsail @ West Brunswick - Topsail is having trouble stopping teams and having trouble scoring points. Not a good combination to have. West Brunswick continues to play solid football and McCray has a lot to do with that. West Brunswick wins big

I know there isn't a lot of talk about high school football in southeastern North Carolina, but I would of thought the New Hanover/Hoggard game would of gotten some attention. The Swett/Scotland game that is being played next week has gotten more interest. Is it that both teams are a little down this year? the game is being played in the middle of the season instead of the end of the season?

The usual NHHS posters have been absent or quiet this year and that includes me. The Wildcats schedule has been difficult especially with a new QB and OL. I expected more from the D. I think they are a tick better than most people think. Who knows what will happen tonight in a rivalry game but I expect the Cats to perform well through the end of the regular season. Not sure where Appst and Diamonds are hiding.

Looks like portcity FB is the only 'old school' ILM poster left on here. Since it's rivalry week I'll make an official appearance after lurking a bit, but haven't even stepped foot in ILM since 2014. Don't like the Vikes chances much, but in rivalry games strange stuff happens so there is hope...and remember ORANGE IS UGLY!!

The Cats are battle tested with their three L's coming to Myrtle Beach,Havelock,and Scotland. I don't see them losing the rest of the regular season.

I was very disappointed in the way the game turned out. Congrats to NH for taking advantage of what Hoggard gave them. I was very surprised that Hoggard did not play their best WR, who was cleared to play. He is a true difference maker and had I known he wasn't going to play I would not have picked Hoggard to win. With that being said Hoggard still could have won this game but more of the same for the Vikes. Four special team mistakes lead to a NH return for a TD and 3 poss inside the Hoggard 20. Hoggard ran 71 offensive plays and could only score 21 points. Hoggard coaches have made Jones the focal point of the offense. I feel Jones is a fine player but it really hasn't worked out the last 3 weeks. He is carrying the ball more than the RB's and is passing less than 50%. Hoggard is avg 14 points over the last 3 games. Wallace and Allen are 2 solid RB and they split time, one of them is on the bench every offensive play. With the lack of fire power it is hard to justify.
NH did what they needed to do. This is not a strong NH team but they have nice looking kids and the future is bright for them. The Soph QB isn't very accurate yet but when he gets there he could be special. Wiz played with a sore shoulder but it did not slow him down as he slashed thru the Vikes. Hoggard run defense played much better over all but the short fields were too much for them. NH - Laney game should be a good one.

NH 34 Hoggard 21
SB 0 Laney 46
NB 24 AHS 6
Topsail 0 WB 25
My win streak is snapped at 16.

port, it seems like Hoggard can't put a complete game together this year. From what I read and heard Hoggard lost it more than New Hanover won it, but that's how you win by taking advantage of what the other team gives you. New Hanover and Hoggard still have some tough games on the schedule ... Still a lot to play for. I'm real interested in the New Hanover/Laney game this week.

Reactions: portcity FB
You are right, and I am not making excuses for Hoggard, good teams don't do what they are doing. Hoggard has problems and I just do not see them turning things around. I too am looking forward to the NH-Laney game. I am not sold on Laney, but this is not a strong NH team either. If NH can hold Laney's running attack like WRH and Lee Co did they will win.

For anyone attending this conference deciding game, please do not be surprised at Laneys solid defensive play, #56playslikeJJ. With what Port said about NH not being a very strong team further strengthens my expectations that the Bucs are fully capable of winning the city title this year. Don't bring West Brunswick into the conversation about the conference title because I don't see them winning any games against the big three. Looks like we will have Thursday night lights because of Matthew so teams with good chemistry already established should do well.

I agree, Laney is capable of winning the conference. I do think NH front 7 is good enough to slow down the Laney running attack. Laney also has a solid defense but I think NH has enough firepower to get a few scores which might be enough. Should be a good game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT