ADVERTISEMENT

MaxPreps Adjusted Rankings 10/28

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
I'll go ahead and say it. The MaxPreps adjusted rankings is one of the most foolish ideas I've heard of in a long, long, time. And to think these things are going to be used in playoff seedings. NCHSAA, shame on you for a such a ridiculous method. I have a couple of examples that stand out to me. They involve Charlotte teams. Ok, I know what you're probably thinking...Charlotte homer. Not really. My examples include Charlotte Catholic and Myers Park. Just so you know, my wife teaches at Charlotte Country Day, so actually my team is the Bucs. As far as the NCHSAA goes I have no horse in the race in Charlotte or anywhere else. I just enjoy good football.

First of all, I noticed in 3A, they have Charlotte Catholic at 21. Really? Granted, they aren't the powerhouse they've been the last couple of years, but my goodness, they're nowhere near being a 21st ranked team either.

Then I saw Myers Park. They have Myers Park at 12. 12! Really??? Who do they have ahead of Myers Park? For starters, Richmond and Mallard Creek. No problem there. In 4AA those three are a tier above the rest. Put those three in any order you want and it won't be a problem. Vance wouldn't be a problem, with their defense.

The others; East Forsyth, Reagan, West Forsyth. Then in the east we have Wake Forest, Pinecrest, Cardinal Gibbons and Jack Britt. Really?? Could any of those teams handle Myers Park? Maybe, maybe not. With 17 year olds, most anything could happen. But the odds are against it. Myers Park may or may not be the best team in the state, but I guarantee you I and anyone else who knows the sport, sure as you know what, isn't putting Myers Park at 21!!!

Somewhere come seeding and bracket time, someone is going to be burned big time by these adjusted ratings. It's just ridiculous. It is what it is for this year, but could be the NCHSAA be just a little more creative in their seeding process? I know it's hard, but they could truly do it if they tried.

Reactions: RD28327 and Crr1968
Mr Honda ur my hero, tell them how u really feel!!!:D
Lol. And while we're on the topic they have Wake Forest and Reagan ahead of Vance. Wake Forest this year....maybe but probably not. I've got Vance at 4 and Wake Forest at 6 in my ratings. But Reagan! Reagan? Geez. I know mine are by no means perfect, but this probably wouldn't disturb me as much, if I hadn't been working on my own ratings.

Who cares.....If your gonna take home a ring you gotta win either 4 or 5 games. Nobody is going to care where they are ranked ANYWHERE by Thanksgiving.

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
U know some of these guys...cry because they are 7 instead of 5 or 11 instead of 8. Like u said who care. We were 24 secs away in the state championship game vs the 3xs state champions and jus blocked their field goal. Nothing better than that feeling....these guys cries about polls, man theres nothing better than running out that state championship tunnel!!

I'll go ahead and say it. The MaxPreps adjusted rankings is one of the most foolish ideas I've heard of in a long, long, time. And to think these things are going to be used in playoff seedings. NCHSAA, shame on you for a such a ridiculous method. I have a couple of examples that stand out to me. They involve Charlotte teams. Ok, I know what you're probably thinking...Charlotte homer. Not really. My examples include Charlotte Catholic and Myers Park. Just so you know, my wife teaches at Charlotte Country Day, so actually my team is the Bucs. As far as the NCHSAA goes I have no horse in the race in Charlotte or anywhere else. I just enjoy good football.

First of all, I noticed in 3A, they have Charlotte Catholic at 21. Really? Granted, they aren't the powerhouse they've been the last couple of years, but my goodness, they're nowhere near being a 21st ranked team either.

Then I saw Myers Park. They have Myers Park at 12. 12! Really??? Who do they have ahead of Myers Park? For starters, Richmond and Mallard Creek. No problem there. In 4AA those three are a tier above the rest. Put those three in any order you want and it won't be a problem. Vance wouldn't be a problem, with their defense.

The others; East Forsyth, Reagan, West Forsyth. Then in the east we have Wake Forest, Pinecrest, Cardinal Gibbons and Jack Britt. Really?? Could any of those teams handle Myers Park? Maybe, maybe not. With 17 year olds, most anything could happen. But the odds are against it. Myers Park may or may not be the best team in the state, but I guarantee you I and anyone else who knows the sport, sure as you know what, isn't putting Myers Park at 21!!!

Somewhere come seeding and bracket time, someone is going to be burned big time by these adjusted ratings. It's just ridiculous. It is what it is for this year, but could be the NCHSAA be just a little more creative in their seeding process? I know it's hard, but they could truly do it if they tried.
What is the formula they use? It doesn’t appear they us the “eye test” formula.

It can matter if someone is screwed out of a home game or two.
Anyone who says it doesn't matter is fooling them self. Could be the difference in a home game or traveling 3 hours on a bus not to mention the loss of gate money on missing out on a home game. New England can win the Superbowl from the 6th seed in the playoffs but trust me they want that #1 and home field.

What is the formula they use? It doesn’t appear they us the “eye test” formula.
The eye test isn't always dependable either. With that, it's too easy for team or regional bias to come into play. The eye test is always according to one's perceptions.

Agreed Honda on Charlotte Catholic, that 21 rating
might be a little high with what I witnessed at Weddington. Maybe a little worse would be more in line.

Agreed Honda on Charlotte Catholic, that 21 rating
might be a little high with what I witnessed at Weddington. Maybe a little worse would be more in line.
Uhhhhh take a look again and see what Weddington has done to everyone they've played this season. It isn't just Catholic. Let's look at Catholic's losses this season. According to Calpreps, Catholic lost to Good Counsel, Olney, Md ranked 4th in the state of Maryland and 35th nationally (6-3), by a score of 7-0, Archbishop Rummel, Metairie, La. (8-0), top ranked in Lousianna and 64th nationally by a score of 7-3 and Weddington (9-0), 4th in North Carolina and 146 nationally by the score of 45-0.

What has Weddington done this year? They beat Ardrey Kell (8-1) 28-14, Porter Ridge (6-3) 33-19, South Meck 42-0, Catawba Ridge 45-7, Sun Valley 47-0, Catholic 45-0, Piedmont 50-0, Parkwood 45-3 and Marvin Ridge 52-7.

What else has Catholic done? Defeated South Meck 42-7, Monroe 41-10, Sun Valley 20-0, Piedmont 49-0, and Parkwood 23-14.

Yeah, they certainly deserve to be lower than 21, don't they?

Anyone who says it doesn't matter is fooling them self. Could be the difference in a home game or traveling 3 hours on a bus not to mention the loss of gate money on missing out on a home game. New England can win the Superbowl from the 6th seed in the playoffs but trust me they want that #1 and home field.

And yet you guys have been beaten on your home field two years in a row.

Hough beat Mallard Creek at their place.

Vance had home field taken away...still won

2016 Vance beat Butler on their field

2015 Creek won 3 straight road games to get to the title game.

All those years Butler won they were never allowed to play at home because it was too small.

There are very few TRUE home field advantages especially in the metro areas. In the end you gotta go play and execute. Period.

The eye test isn't always dependable either. With that, it's too easy for team or regional bias to come into play. The eye test is always according to one's perceptions.
Not always, but some of the time. The key to the eyeball test is being objective, which rarely happens. I’ve watched Catholic 3 times this year and my eyes tell me they’re nowhere near the past 2 year’s teams. Not even close. My eyes also tell me Weddington is better this year than last. Also, I think people sometimes rank teams solely on reputation. Do you know how the max preps adjusted rankings are formulated? As far as CC being ranked 21, I can’t speak to that because I haven’t watched too many teams ranked higher than them play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT