ADVERTISEMENT

Mallard Creek/Georgia High School:

If Westlake is playing MC I would think the game would make more sense to be played in Charlotte due to Cam being in Charlotte.

If MC is playing an out of state team they need to be playing a team that is a top five team in that state of at all possible.

I figured Westlake eould come to Charlotte especially with its most prevalent and iconic alumni Cam Newton residing in Charlotte. You say you have great community support and backing, schedule a trip here in Charlotte

No Nepsy7 they can get I-20 west off of 285 south going toward Birmingham and bypass going through the downtown area and exit off of 20 at exit 44 which will take you to Westlake.

If you arrive in Atlanta @ 4 or 5pm there is no route that can save you from Traffic. If MC did schedule a game, they would leave early in the am or they would stay overnight. Traffic would not be and issue. I believe since this years game is a no go. I do believe they are working on a game for Westlake to travel to MC next year.

I figured Westlake eould come to Charlotte especially with its most prevalent and iconic alumni Cam Newton residing in Charlotte. You say you have great community support and backing, schedule a trip here in Charlotte

Let get both AD's talking bring fans to Charlotte is not a problem also the band will be coming also with their following. Let get it on Mallard Creek and do a home and home either a Friday of Saturday is good. The Lake don't have a problem traveling. Peace.

Reactions: nepsy7
Let get both AD's talking bring fans to Charlotte is not a problem also the band will be coming also with their following. Let get it on Mallard Creek and do a home and home either a Friday of Saturday is good. The Lake don't have a problem traveling. Peace.

They started talking about 3 weeks ago.

Why not just create an event. "Cam Newton Invitation". 4 games putting teams from GA vs. Teams from NC. Games played at UNCC or memorial stadium. All day event. Just dont see why ppl can't get creative and try something different

Not a bad ideal Champ_24 Ga teams vs NC teams and if NC can teams would beat the GA teams the Carolina teams would get more exposure beating a team like North Gwinett,McEachem,Camden County,Colquitt County,Westlake, Tucker, Archer, Carterville etc. because of the supposedly better talent from the metro Atlanta area and plus beside California,Florida,Texas, Georgia is ranked with them as far as the best talent overall in the country for football.

At the moment as far as trying to play teams out of state isn't the main focus at this time but if the right proposal is there the Lake would consider it. What the Lake has been focus on since Cam left is to bring back the glory days of the nineties with a consistent winning program and with coach Love who came from Camden County is ideals are working because the Lake has won their conference the last two season. But the other things and most importantly are making sure the kids do their academic work in the classroom especially all athletes not just the football players so they can better their lives and their family. This is why the Lake has an academic coach for the athletes and the football players must be in the library by 4:00pm for study hall before they start practice at 5:00pm if they aren't in study hall they don't practice and the AD and the head coach is very strict about the study hall because they realize that when the kids get home from practice most are not going to be doing their home work like they should and it has been working because every year their are almost ten kids that get an athletic scholarship. Westlake has at their spring practice,summer practice,and regular season recruiters and coaches from the top colleges in the country such as Notre Dame,Kentucky,Duke,South Carolina,Georgia,Stanford,Florida etc. they already has national recognition but once coach Love get the kids where he want them to be at on the playing field then like they did when he was at Camden County they will start really looking for out of state teams to play. Peace.

Westlake is a up and coming program. Although their players get national attention. They are not a National recognized team. You have to win some State Championships for starters. Having Cam Newton as a Alumnus helps, but their year to year record does not equate to National program.

Not a bad ideal Champ_24 Ga teams vs NC teams and if NC can teams would beat the GA teams the Carolina teams would get more exposure beating a team like North Gwinett,McEachem,Camden County,Colquitt County,Westlake, Tucker, Archer, Carterville etc. because of the supposedly better talent from the metro Atlanta area and plus beside California,Florida,Texas, Georgia is ranked with them as far as the best talent overall in the country for football.

Umm I think Crest, Scotland co. Charlotte Catholic, Butler could play with those teams. I would even spread it to 6 or 8 schools. So the event could start at 10 am and the last game start at 8 pm. All day event come bring fans from GA, SC, NC even TN. Could bring alot $$

Who going to be the promoter? MOSES!
Good luck.

moses-parting-red-sea-barrett-301889-print.jpg

Umm I think Crest, Scotland co. Charlotte Catholic, Butler could play with those teams. I would even spread it to 6 or 8 schools. So the event could start at 10 am and the last game start at 8 pm. All day event come bring fans from GA, SC, NC even TN. Could bring alot $$

Bet if they did not get really good corporate / business sponsorship it would may lose money.

Think we have a tendency to over value the draw of high school football outside the geographics of the local communities. Ever see some of the crowds at these powerhouse regional matchups. Some draw well with local fans but when played in neutral sites the stands are pretty sparse.

Reactions: btango
I've heard of nfl players sponsoring events like this ie Ted Ginn. Use it as a tax write off. I don't know. But if it only cost 10,000 to go out of state for a nationally ranked event why not do fun raisers throughout the school year. A school with over 2000 students, shouldn't be too hard to come up with $1000 for 10 months. Lol if each student alone brought in a $1 thats 25% of your budget already. Just a bit the MC administration haven't been more creative with a pretty simple solution with a student body that big

I've heard of nfl players sponsoring events like this ie Ted Ginn. Use it as a tax write off. I don't know. But if it only cost 10,000 to go out of state for a nationally ranked event why not do fun raisers throughout the school year. A school with over 2000 students, shouldn't be too hard to come up with $1000 for 10 months. Lol if each student alone brought in a $1 thats 25% of your budget already. Just a bit the MC administration haven't been more creative with a pretty simple solution with a student body that big

What makes you think the other 1900 kids at Mallard Creek have an incentive to raise money or donate their own so that the football team can travel to a football game?

Each student has a activity of their own which is lacking funds in some way . It really just isn't as simple as putting together a bake sale.

Pro athletes do donate funds but typically they go where they are needed which is in infastrucure. Cam donated a good amount to West Charlotte last year.

One of the best football programs in Charlotte doesn't have the facilities to host home playoff games. What does that tell you about the economics of the situation. ?

I would think any athlete would use the money for their sport and based on the crowds at the games it looks a lot of students do not care that much.

If you attend Mallard Creek games you will notice that the student body makes special appearances. They only show up @ certain games. The majority of the fans are adults who live in the area or football guys who just want to see them play.

My thought has always been that you don't need to travel to make one of these events work. There are 8- 10 premium programs inside of a 125 mile radius of metro Charlotte. I think a well run border clash featuring 2 maybe 3 games at Memorial or Rock Hill stadium between some of the elite NC teams facing the SC teams in week one would draw and make a decent amount of revenue. Ortho carolina already sponsors the opening week at Memorial. Expand that to include a Richmond against a Spartanburg or a Shelby against a Dillon and I think it's a money maker for everyone involved. No need to travel to Atlanta

Reactions: shutdownD24
I agree B&G. Always thought a NC v SC at UNCC would be the ticket but you have to get the good teams in it. A couple from York County, a real strong smaller school, and maybe a team from Gaffney / Spartanburg area goes against a few Meck teams, a Union County or Sandhills team (Scotland or Richmond), and a Gaston or Cleveland County squad. Four games one day or one on Friday and then three or four Saturday.

Reactions: shutdownD24
Are there not any nationally ranked hs teams in Tennessee. I heard about a school from Chattanooga, destroyed Erwin last year

Are there not any nationally ranked hs teams in Tennessee. I heard about a school from Chattanooga, destroyed Erwin last year

Maryville is the big school powerhouse but they don't travel and play some notoriously soft schedules. Brentwood academy is a small private with a great program and they travel to take on some good out of state squads.

A game with Brentwood would be similar to the Mcdonogh game MC played last year.

Erwin was first round exit in the 3A playoffs. Not sure that is a good measuring stick.

Maryville is the big school powerhouse but they don't travel and play some notoriously soft schedules. Brentwood academy is a small private with a great program and they travel to take on some good out of state squads.

A game with Brentwood would be similar to the Mcdonogh game MC played last year.

If you are going to Nashville I would prefer Colquitt or DeMatha for about the same ride time.

Try any of these schools Dematha MD, St Joes Prep PA, Don Bosco Prep NJ, Pittsburgh CC PA. They might travel

Try any of these schools Dematha MD, St Joes Prep PA, Don Bosco Prep NJ, Pittsburgh CC PA. They might travel

Dematha was already scheduled and they backed out. Have been talking to Don Bosco the last 2 years scheduling conflict. Currently have a team locked in from Va. Schedule should be complete within the next 2 weeks.

What makes Maryville so good is there coach.George Quarles is one of the best in the country.The private schools are pretty good.Brentwood Academy,Montgomery Bell Academy,Ensworth,and McCallie. All of those schools travel to other states.Christ Presbyterian Academy last year beat Peachtree Ridge High,Ga which was loaded with D1 players and CPA lost to Alcoa in the championship game 20-0.

It sounds like Mallard Creek is locked-

WK 1-@ Dillon 6 time 2a SC winner
WK 2- @Butler 3 time NC 4aa winner
WK 3- Brynes- Hearing Saturday night 7 titles??
WK 4- @ RH SOuthpoint Defending 3a SC winner
WK5- @ VA school to be named
MECKA

Its the toughest schedule in NC by far and on par with many in the southeast. I think people forget this is a 9 year old school that won its first state title in 2014. There has NEVER been a school in NC that has challenged its self like Mallard Creek, not Richmond, Butler or INdy.

Palmieri isn't interested in conf titles or coach of the year awards. He wants to win rings and send boys to play at the next level. As a fan and a supporter of the program I couldn't be happier win or lose with the 2016 schedule. Cant wait t make the drive to Dillon

What makes Maryville so good is there coach.George Quarles is one of the best in the country.The private schools are pretty good.Brentwood Academy,Montgomery Bell Academy,Ensworth,and McCallie. All of those schools travel to other states.Christ Presbyterian Academy last year beat Peachtree Ridge High,Ga which was loaded with D1 players and CPA lost to Alcoa in the championship game 20-0.

Montgomery Bell hosted Byrnes several years ago. Coached by Jeff Rutledge at the time I do believe. Former Alabama and NFL QB.

Still trying to figure why Grayson, Dematha dropped MC? Cant be in fear of competition. Was it a financial decision?

Looks like 4th game Bishop Sullivan: Moving Rock Hill(South Pointe) to 5th game. Their new coach is Chris Scott formerly of Ocean Lakes. He's bring along with him numerous players from Ocean Lakes including #3 rb in the Nation Khalan Laborn. Bishop Sullivan were Private State Champs 2013 season. Head Coach Carl Turner was fired after winning State Championship for running up the score on teams....SMH!

If they can't ink this deal, I'm confident this will be the last straw and a by week will happen.

There's a thread in the 2a forums about Laborn transferring to Shelby. Doesn't seem that anyone on that thread had a definite answer though. Will this be a home game?

Looks like he was convinced by his coach along with players that are joining him to attend Bishop Sullivan.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT