ADVERTISEMENT

Mallard Creek 7-3 Dillon final

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article96857212.html

I thought I was finished here until I read this article.....

Let's get this point the MC coach said first " We like playing games like this because it exposes our weaknesses, i want to do this every year". Well sign us up! Invite us to The Creek next year.... Last years offense would have hung 30 or more points on what I saw last night... Just saying

Now on to the rest of this bull hokie.... I don't think that there was a fan in the house, a coach on the field or a player that got off the bus, or even a cheerleader or band member that wouldn't agree that the Refs sucked.
As far as the chain crew goes, they are under the direction of them same sorry azz Refs. To say that this mess was one sided is cheesy not fair.... Be honest to yourself Dillon had two TDs waved off. An illegal shift on Johnny Allens pass, and the other pass they ended up calling him out of bounds and called a pushing call.... As I said earlier, MC D1 filled Offensive line was holding all night long.... I seen one MC player swing a punch and several dirty plays that didn't get called. Would someone please post the stats and penalties from this game. This article makes it sound like your nationally ranked powerhouse was cheated so bad that they almost lost. I respect the fact that Mallard Creek plays Dillon when no one else will. Honestly, if MC is ranked in the top ten in the nation, Dillon should fall into the top 15 or so. We are content with our 1300th in the nation ranking, just keep us on your schedule.

Blue and gold, if you don't mind me asking. Who are the others that you are referring to.

Clock operators on the last drive twice never started the clock on Dillon offensive plays. The very first play of the drive and then the one after the pass interference called on #10.

At least 3 times in that final 4 minutes the chain gang flipped the down marker back when Dillon has ball inside the 7 . Once resulting in an additional play. The 2nd time the side judge caught it.

Mallard Creek had a 3 down series late because either the official or the chain gang made it third down rather than 2nd after a penalty call.

I hate to make this game about all that and trust me when I say none of that stuff occurred in 2013 but this was strange from the get go and got really out of control the last 5 minutes. Its not the first place I have been to where this stuff occurs but it was the most blatant I can remember. Was it dishonest??? Lets just say it was either unethical or extreme incompetence .

I can tell u this blue, over here in Dillon. The fans feel the same way you guys feel. It was terrible officiating, I mean horrible. I was standing right there when our receiver caught the TD and he was not out of bounds. Do you remember the 4th and 6 and holding penalty was called on the creek? After the penalty, it was half a distance to the goal. That made it 4th and 3. Dillon was made aware that it was a automatic first down. That's why our offense stayed on the field after that play. They were thinking it was 2nd down. The ref's screw up a lot, but it went for both sides.

Clock operators on the last drive twice never started the clock on Dillon offensive plays. The very first play of the drive and then the one after the pass interference called on #10.

At least 3 times in that final 4 minutes the chain gang flipped the down marker back when Dillon has ball inside the 7 . Once resulting in an additional play. The 2nd time the side judge caught it.

Mallard Creek had a 3 down series late because either the official or the chain gang made it third down rather than 2nd after a penalty call.

I hate to make this game about all that and trust me when I say none of that stuff occurred in 2013 but this was strange from the get go and got really out of control the last 5 minutes. Its not the first place I have been to where this stuff occurs but it was the most blatant I can remember. Was it dishonest??? Lets just say it was either unethical or extreme incompetence .

Schedule us in week zero next year in Charlotte.... Use your refs, your chain crew, and your clock. Dillon plays smash mouth football and does not need help from the Refs. We are very used to getting bad calls as well. My sorry doesn't make it better, but I have seen almost every game Dillon has played since 1987 and I assure you, Dillon don't play with mess like this. I didn't watch every second tick off the clock therefore I cannot dispute you. I can tell you that the man that runs the clock is my uncle, and he is upright honest christian man that has been doing this for years. No way he would of did this in any attempt to throw the game.

The refs were very confused and if what you say about the chain crew is correct, then I can see them being confused too! If we had this rigged than the two TD we had waved off would have stand and we would have won 17-7.

Again, Congrats on your win and PLEASE invite us to the Creek.

One of the best defensive games that I've ever seen!!! I've never seen where the refs had to huddle up so many times to discuss the simplest penalty. That slowed the game down and any momentum. Great atmosphere. A big shout out to MC for scheduling us. It's hard to get other teams to do that.

Lol exactly, if the ref's was really on our side. We need to get our money back from them. Because we could use them two TD's.

We could go round and round on the penalties all night long. It should take nothing away from the Dillon kids. Tough as nails, fought like warriors until the final tick.

As far as national ranking as you are aware we dont control that but i would think you are gonna have to get a Byrnes, Northwestern or Dutch Fork type of squad and this is the important part. Beat them. As good as you are lets not forget MC has lost 3 times in the last 2 years. You have had tem in your place week zero and played them very tight but in the end came up with two losses.

Gonna have to take a big program down all the way. Love to see it.

We don't care about national rankings blue, we only chasing rings in Dillon. We would love to play them big boys of SC. I doubt it will ever happen.

We don't care about national rankings blue, we only chasing rings in Dillon. We would love to play them big boys of SC. I doubt it will ever happen.

Mallard Creek only had 44 yards of TOTAL offense in the second half. I need someone to please explain away this stat line. The refs have nothing to do with that stat . That is called Dillon Defensive Domination. OUR Defensive front 7 Actually dominated those guys mostly every play. THe only way they could stop them was by holding.(Which should of been called alot more) Don't let theThese folks spin the game wrong. There were bad calls made on both sides. WE actually lost 14 points because of it. One of the refs committed STRONG ARMED Robbery when they took that TD away from Kanore(#14) in the corner of the end zone. That was a Touchdown folks. He burned the D1 committed corner quite well on that play. I didn't see the illegal shift on that play with Johnny Allen Either. Not to mention that our operations had our head coach mixed up. He thought it was 1st down when it was really 4th. It was just a MESS for both sides. Please don't try to act like we didn't get COOKED to because we did.

Thought the penalties on MC D kept most drives alive for Dillon. Dillon also made some plays but their offense was not electric by any measure.

Note MC had two punts of less than 15 yards in critical field position.

MC also had some defensive drops.

On the catch I think you are citing the receiver was out of bounds. There were a lot flags and only remember one being waved off.

MC played at times like they looked, ragged and somewhat confused. Gold, red, yellow, lime, and green cleats to go with black and white plus multiple colors of gloves, socks, and spats. Call me old fashion but it looks terrible. Does that signify a lot of individuals? Once again saw a stupid personal foul penalty on MC player cost them huge. Was glad to see the HC dig in his butt.
Thought the penalties on MC D kept most drives alive for Dillon. Dillon also made some plays but their offense was not electric by any measure.

Note MC had two punts of less than 15 yards in critical field position.

MC also had some defensive drops.

On the catch I think you are citing the receiver was out of bounds. There were a lot flags and only remember one being waved off.

MC played at times like they looked, ragged and somewhat confused. Gold, red, yellow, lime, and green cleats to go with black and white plus multiple colors of gloves, socks, and spats. Call me old fashion but it looks terrible. Does that signify a lot of individuals? Once again saw a stupid personal foul penalty on MC player cost them huge. Was glad to see the HC dig in his butt.

Btango,

That clarifies the most confusing play. The kid was out of bounds. Couldn't tell from my seat. I didn't get how Dillon thought they were on first down after that other call. It would have been 4th down again, but it really looked like Dillon thought or had been told it was 1st. To quantify my statement about Dillon moving the ball, by no means was either side electric on offense. Defensive game through and through.

That's it from an unbiased viewer...kudos to the kids playing hard and watching some great knocks out there. Great there were no injuries.

There is probably a hundred teams that would smoke the Creek with that offense. The good Independence teams would never get shutdown like that. All the talk all preseason was of this awesome line but you can't run the ball. come on

I may have gotten some wrong info, but I was told it was a two year deal. One in Dillon and one at the creek.

I have been told by staff at MC that is not the case. It has always been my understanding that Dillon had little interest in coming to Charlotte. If I am Dillon I prefer to pay a team to come to Dillon and play at home.

I didn't see the illegal shift on that play with Johnny Allen Either. Not to mention that our operations had our head coach mixed up. He thought it was 1st down when it was really 4th.

The flag on the shift was thrown as soon as the ball was snapped. When a teams shifts a defensive alignment would normally shift. When multiple players are moving at the same time or a an illegal alignment is set up a defense would normally have some issues in aligning the coverage. With that said, MC has had issues on numerous occasions with the vertical passing game.

I figure first or fourth down they are running the best play they have from the one, QB read run from the shotgun.

Mallard Creek only had 44 yards of TOTAL offense in the second half. I need someone to please explain away this stat line. The refs have nothing to do with that stat . That is called Dillon Defensive Domination. OUR Defensive front 7 Actually dominated those guys mostly every play.

I totally agree Dillon front seven controlled the game. Note the two biggest gains in the second half for MC were called back. One was a personal foul which was marked from the spot of the foul. Total loss of yards was a 17 yard gain and then 12 yards (due to spot). 29 yards lost. First and ten became second and 22. Watch the film and see how many times MC penalties that were not a direct part of the play cost them huge on offense. That has been a recurring problem also. Sure some of the penalties helped the play but on some it made no difference in the gain.

In high school football there is no automatic first down administered on most penalties. I think only the roughing penalties now carry the automatic first down. The play at the goal line that resulted in the much questioned fourth down was defensive holding it appeared. The ball was thrown toward the back near the line of scrimmage. The flag was thrown on the defender covering in the end zone near the sideline. Half the distance to the goal line and replay the down. If the ball is placed beyond the first down marker due to the penalty mark off it is obviously a first down but it is not automatically a first down. I watched the chain crew discussing while the replay of the fourth down was being set up and they were changing the down marker but the ref was not instructing them to do so at that time.

Great game by both, now it's Time for the creek and the Wildcats to hit our stride. They going for four in a row and the cats is going for five. Good luck mavericks

MC you are an embarrassment to NC football and all you have proven is how weak NC 4A football really is.
All your references to other classifications as weak compared to 4A just lost all credibility.
Be glad you are where you are.
You would not be a three-peat champ in a lower classification.
This is priceless. 7-3.
Now try and run your mouth with your excuses.

Avery McCall would have killed you.
Nice duck job to get a first year QB instead of a Shrine Bowl MVP.

Bad snap on the 2 !?
Muffed punt at Dillon 35 !?
How much help did you need to beat a 2A team by 4 ??

In high school football there is no automatic first down administered on most penalties. I think only the roughing penalties now carry the automatic first down. The play at the goal line that resulted in the much questioned fourth down was defensive holding it appeared. The ball was thrown toward the back near the line of scrimmage. The flag was thrown on the defender covering in the end zone near the sideline. Half the distance to the goal line and replay the down. If the ball is placed beyond the first down marker due to the penalty mark off it is obviously a first down but it is not automatically a first down. I watched the chain crew discussing while the replay of the fourth down was being set up and they were changing the down marker but the ref was not instructing them to do so at that time.

They had it marked as 4th down before the snap and switched it to 1st during play.

In my opinion from a football prospective, a good defense almost always beats a good offense early in the season. One of the main reasons for this is it usually takes those big o-linemen several games to get into game shape and find their cohesion as a group. It doesn't matter if it is five d-1 linemen or zero, the big guys need time to get into game shape. Once the big guys on the o-line find their groove than you will see the whole offense click and become more consistent overall. Because of this early in the season good defensive front sevens make it difficult on good offenses to run the ball effectively. It sounds like that is what happened in this game on both sides.

On a second note from a coaching prospective, if I coached a really good program that wasn't as hyped as MC especially a loaded program outside the Charlotte area in a community that really supported my program, I would love to play the Creek in week zero of the season for several reasons. The first reason is from a coaching prospective you can use the upcoming Creek game as off season motivation for the whole year whether that's in the weight room or field. Every time someone doesn't work to get better you can remind them of MC coming to town to embarrass them in front of their family and friends. Secondly MC in week zero will not be the same team as MC in week eight, week eight MC will be a wrecking ball of a team. Third you can completely focus on and analyze one of the top teams in the country which will make you better while MC isn't focused on you so much. MC coaches may know better but their players will look at the game as just another game. Last the hype of a MC coming to town will generate tremendous support including financial for the program. Just my humble prospective.

In my opinion from a football prospective, a good defense almost always beats a good offense early in the season. One of the main reasons for this is it usually takes those big o-linemen several games to get into game shape and find their cohesion as a group. It doesn't matter if it is five d-1 linemen or zero, the big guys need time to get into game shape. Once the big guys on the o-line find their groove than you will see the whole offense click and become more consistent overall. Because of this early in the season good defensive front sevens make it difficult on good offenses to run the ball effectively. It sounds like that is what happened in this game on both sides.

On a second note from a coaching prospective, if I coached a really good program that wasn't as hyped as MC especially a loaded program outside the Charlotte area in a community that really supported my program, I would love to play the Creek in week zero of the season for several reasons. The first reason is from a coaching prospective you can use the upcoming Creek game as off season motivation for the whole year whether that's in the weight room or field. Every time someone doesn't work to get better you can remind them of MC coming to town to embarrass them in front of their family and friends. Secondly MC in week zero will not be the same team as MC in week eight, week eight MC will be a wrecking ball of a team. Third you can completely focus on and analyze one of the top teams in the country which will make you better while MC isn't focused on you so much. MC coaches may know better but their players will look at the game as just another game. Last the hype of a MC coming to town will generate tremendous support including financial for the program. Just my humble prospective.
Good Post

Well we don't need the creek for motivation, we do this in Dillon no matter who we playing. We train year around in the weight room to win state championships, that's our motivation. Not week zero.

Well we don't need the creek for motivation, we do this in Dillon no matter who we playing. We train year around in the weight room to win state championships, that's our motivation. Not week zero.

Bullshit. I've been there twice now and spoken to dozens of Dillon fans and coaches. Lets not kid ourselves the intensity that game was played at last night looks nothing like the battle against mighty Mullin or Latta. You guys haven't even been in a game in two years . Sure the titles are important buy Hayes and the boys are starved for larger recognition than the little 3a program that could. Will there be a pregame hype video for Mullins?? That's what I thought. Its also why I love the match up.

That said don't think for 2 seconds that MC wasn't focused entirely on Dillon last night. They have heard for months how tough a team and place that is to win. They new very well about 37 straight. The difference between MC and Dillon is next week you get 3 time state champ Butler, then 12 time title winner Byrnes, then 3 time title winner Southpointe.

They have to bring it every week.

That's what had me confused...the chain gang. I thought they had 1st down, so I thought maybe unsportsmanlike/roughing call had been made. It wasn't very clear when everybody around me noticed too. Best of luck to both teams going forward.

Good post and your right about a ton of stuff except trust me Dillon has been on MC's mind all summer. SC schools do have a advantage in week zero because they get full contact in spring and earlier than NC .

The reason this game gets played is MC is looking for a tough gut check game on the road week 1. Dillon is just what the doctor ordered.

You obviously missed the point of the post that I made...

They had it marked as 4th down before the snap and switched it to 1st during play.

There is no doubt that there may have been some confusion, hell I was confused with the way it was officiated. I honestly don't think it was meant on purpose to screw over Mallard Creek. Mallard Creek wasn't robbed of a TD like Dillon was due to sorry refs, now THAT was a game changer. The issue with first down fourth down was eventually corrected.

There is no doubt that there may have been some confusion, hell I was confused with the way it was officiated. I honestly don't think it was meant on purpose to screw over Mallard Creek. Mallard Creek wasn't robbed of a TD like Dillon was due to sorry refs, now THAT was a game changer. The issue with first down fourth down was eventually corrected.

I cant speak to the TD catch. I was obviously on the other side. I have seen some tape but none were even close to having an angle on it.

The more i watch tape the more i am impressed with tbe Dillon front 7. Very active and fast.

What I'm saying is we do the weight room year around and not for the creek. Of course,we was pump up to play you guys. That's common sense. Dillon has been going hard for years and our motivation is rings.

It appears that Mallard Creek supporters feel the need to defend their 4 point win over Dillon more than Dillon supporters do. Yes I was at the game. Mallard Creek has athletes all over the field. Facts are simply this... Dillon game them all they wanted while playing a defensive end at quarterback!

Last edited:
Good post and your right about a ton of stuff except trust me Dillon has been on MC's mind all summer. SC schools do have a advantage in week zero because they get full contact in spring and earlier than NC .

The reason this game gets played is MC is looking for a tough gut check game on the road week 1. Dillon is just what the doctor ordered.

I agree with you that Dillon has been on MC's mind all summer and that it is a good opening game for MC to get ready for the season. The difference is in these type of communities with these type of games, MC has been on Dillon's mind all YEAR or however long the game was scheduled, that's the difference. I can almost guarantee that many of Dillon's players were reminded of the MC game every time they stopped by the barbershops, out to eat, church, etc by family, fans, and ex-players. I've lived in Charlotte and in a small town community where football is huge. There is a difference. I lived in Matthews when Butler had it rolling pretty good and there were several Butler kids with d-1 offers that I would talk football with every Saturday morning in the barbershop and no one else really showed much interest and how those guys or their team were doing football wise. A barbershop in a football town is all together a different beast for players and coaches lol. Also let me add for the purpose of some on this thread, a win is a win. Congrats Mavericks.

Dillon’s 37-game winning streak fell by the wayside in a 7-3 loss to national power Mallard Creek (N.C.) on Friday night.

Darnell Walker scored the game’s lone touchdown for the Mavericks with 3:53 left in the second quarter.
The Wildcats held Mallard Creek to 44 yards of total offense in the second half, but were unable to move the ball inside the red zone.

On several different occasions, Dillon had the ball inside the Maverick’s 20-yard line, but only came away with a field goal in the second half.

A Wildcat fumble at the 1-yard line proved to be the straw that broke the camel’s back as South Carolina’s four-time defending Class 2A Division I state champions came up just short against North Carolina’s three-time reigning Class 4Aa state champions.

Dillon's Jermaine McDaniel finished with 14 tackles, including nine for loss and two sacks while teammate Demario Currie added 13 tackles.http://www.scnow.com/sports/article_596b39bc-668d-11e6-81f1-a7a4c113a949.html

Reactions: dillon wildcats
What I'm saying is we do the weight room year around and not for the creek. Of course,we was pump up to play you guys. That's common sense. Dillon has been going hard for years and our motivation is rings.
I am not a MC fan. I like great high school football and follow teams in both Carolinas pretty closely, some more closely than others. Dillon has a great program and I was aware of that well before MC existed. I can remember when you guys and Pageland were going at it back in the day. I have the almost respect for Dillon, Fairfield Central, etc. out of SC and teams like Shelby, Monroe, etc. out of NC. Smaller schools who I think can play with anybody most years. I think it is a shame that the big SC schools cannot or will not play you guys. Good luck the rest of the year.

Reactions: dillon wildcats
It appears that Mallard Creek supporters feel the need to defend their 4 point win over Dillon more than Dillon supported do. Yes I was at the game. Mallard Creek has athletes all over the field. Facts are simply this... Dillon game them all they wanted while playing a defensive end at quarterback!
This is what Mallard Creek fans on this site do when they boast about being big, deep, D1 laden and then only score 7 points on a school one third their attendence. Same guys, same bullshit.

It appears that Mallard Creek supporters feel the need to defend their 4 point win over Dillon more than Dillon supporters do. Yes I was at the game. Mallard Creek has athletes all over the field. Facts are simply this... Dillon game them all they wanted while playing a defensive end at quarterback!

North Davidson. 46 pts

Flags were 16-2 in Dillons favor. Just saying you can say all you want. I was there. This game was setup for MC to lose. My girlfriend even admitted it and she's from Greensboro but she's a huge football fan. Dillon is a fine program, much respect but stop with the gimmicks and bs like you didn't see twice MC went from 2nd down to 4th down. Every positive play was negated by a flag, I could go on and on. MC is 2-0 after friday night, wins over both dillon and the home cooking refs

Btango, you are correct, only the roughing penalties carry automatic first down. You are also correct in if the play started on the 6 and they had defensive holding, it should be next snapped from the 3 and repeat 4th down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT