ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Hoggard not to play?

Originally posted by 1Twister:
Originally posted by raiderLAW:

lol...it's not an excuse...it's a fact.....we play with what we have got....and they play hard!.....the sidelines used to be crawling with scouts from D1 schools....they aren't there anymore......11-2 this year with this group is a great year.....
Law, I talked to a former college scout and his answer was that Richmond is not getting our kids qualified in the classroom so the scouts don't bother coming anymore. You can have all the talent in the world but you may not see a single scout.

I don't mean this a slap to teachers, etc. It is probably kids and parents or lack of but it really doesn't matter to the colleges. If you don't have the grades you are not going D1. The talent pool may be down but it isn't dry. We were not out manned last night.

We were out played only because we couldn't hang on to the ball and turning the ball over held no consequences for the players that did so. Not one was put on the bench for a series or two to get his head right and cover the ball up better. No doubt not one of the guys wanted to fumble but it kept happening. A little time of reflection and rest might make a difference. Besides it's not like we didn't have 5-6 running backs on the team.
...now that's another matter altogether.....if a program wants a kid they will get them qualified...prep school etc....the fact that this has not been a problem at all this year discounts benching someone...it was an anomaly last night.....plan and simple.....

Originally posted by Heel yes:
The scouts are not in richmond because they can't get the best players past their admissions dept.

There is talent to burn on the field. You will not find anyone anywhere to claim that milbrook has more talent than richmond.
I will, from what I saw Millbrook was much more talented and much bigger than Richmond. I thought Richmond was better coached.

As for grades, well that is on the student athlete. they must get it done in the class first.

In the 2 games Richmond lost this year, one team had a vastly superior roster, and the other team had by far the best player on the field.

I don't think the talent at Richmond is much worse than what it used to be, but football is so big these days. Every school that cares and tries is gonna be able to put similar talent on the field. It's not like the residents of Richmond County have superior football genes.

You have to ride the ups and downs with talent these days. You can't rely on things like passion and tradition anymore, because just about every town these days has passion, and lots of them have tradition. The ones that don't have tradition have a chip on their shoulder, which is probably more valuable.

Originally posted by Dangerboytwelve:
In the 2 games Richmond lost this year, one team had a vastly superior roster, and the other team had by far the best player on the field.

I don't think the talent at Richmond is much worse than what it used to be, but football is so big these days. Every school that cares and tries is gonna be able to put similar talent on the field. It's not like the residents of Richmond County have superior football genes.

You have to ride the ups and downs with talent these days. You can't rely on things like passion and tradition anymore, because just about every town these days has passion, and lots of them have tradition. The ones that don't have tradition have a chip on their shoulder, which is probably more valuable.
Millbrook must have alot of seniors this year.

@TWISTER I agree with your post, I am sure we could have a D1 player every year but who would invest 100K for four year if you will not be eligible for all 4 years academically. I think the "D" came to play and never ran out of gas. @Law you sound like a coach or a former coach!

Originally posted by dcov33:
@TWISTER I agree with your post, I am sure we could have a D1 player every year but who would invest 100K for four year if you will not be eligible for all 4 years academically. I think the "D" came to play and never ran out of gas. @Law you sound like a coach or a former coach!
...leave Coach Barnes outta this.....

All these fanboys withstanding, I lot is being thrown out there to get everybody off the real subject. The great and wonderful Coach Hogg, is more than ready, to throw Richmond's program under the bus, just so his boy can play at being a QB. After spending all week on the sidelines at practice, he shows up at the game and reclaims his starting job. That is why the offense was making the mistakes on handoffs. Hoggard being the great and kind man, that you hear all the good ole boys on here talk about, then proceeds to trash the job the JV QB did the week before, in the Daily Fishwrap. That line about how he had to dumb down the offense was very caring. Then he had the nerve to make the statement, I'm glad we didn't have to get too complicated last week.We definitely could have used another week of simplicity. It's one thing to want your boy to play, it's another thing to trash the other kids. Raider fans used to want the best for the program, but now it seems that winning a few games and getting run out of the playoffs early is good enough. I know there are a lot of people that are ready to do something else on friday nights until whoever? decides that the school has lost enough money behind this coaching mistake. Please, If you aren't part of Raider Nation, keep your comments to yourself. If I were in your shoes, I would want this coaching staff to stay. It would guarantee the Raiders will stay out of the hunt. " Just Keeping It Real ".

Originally posted by crysnake:
All these fanboys withstanding, I lot is being thrown out there to get everybody off the real subject. The great and wonderful Coach Hogg, is more than ready, to throw Richmond's program under the bus, just so his boy can play at being a QB. After spending all week on the sidelines at practice, he shows up at the game and reclaims his starting job. That is why the offense was making the mistakes on handoffs. Hoggard being the great and kind man, that you hear all the good ole boys on here talk about, then proceeds to trash the job the JV QB did the week before, in the Daily Fishwrap. That line about how he had to dumb down the offense was very caring. Then he had the nerve to make the statement, I'm glad we didn't have to get too complicated last week.We definitely could have used another week of simplicity. It's one thing to want your boy to play, it's another thing to trash the other kids. Raider fans used to want the best for the program, but now it seems that winning a few games and getting run out of the playoffs early is good enough. I know there are a lot of people that are ready to do something else on friday nights until whoever? decides that the school has lost enough money behind this coaching mistake. Please, If you aren't part of Raider Nation, keep your comments to yourself. If I were in your shoes, I would want this coaching staff to stay. It would guarantee the Raiders will stay out of the hunt. " Just Keeping It Real ".
....man...I really hope you get beyond your bitterness....crysnake....cry a river......apparently your kid could not make the grade....best of luck dude....

Hey Law, I wasn't even going to read any post after that game I saw Friday but like a dummy, here I am. First of all, you can be pro Hoggard all you want and guess what, nobody cares anymore. I'm not gonna bash coach or son but I will tell you that there were more than one player standing on sideline that should have been on the field at least at times that hadthe dang talent to play and some could even start. I stated and several more that the problem was that Luke wasn't quick enough to run the option and teams would catch up to us. NEWSFLASH Mr. LAw, it happened. I was also told by a Scot supporter about 6 weeks ago that they had already watched film and that the game plan was simple, cover pitch man and leave QB alone. The quote from Scotland was 'The qb will not hurt us with his speed''. As far as Millbrook having all this superior talent over Richmond. that's BS. They had a good team but not all this great superior talent that some people want to use as an excuse. And oh by the way LAw. don't throw the oh you must have never played or you don't know what goes on at practice or your kid must not got in the game because you are dead wrong on all three so go find another excuse to throw out there as to why our kids had to suffer the consequences because coaches are afraid to make a freaken change for whatever the reason. I await your expert raider reply. Will get back to you after church.
wink.r191677.gif

To the Richmond poster that made a feeble attempt at showing Richmond was the underdog because millbrook has a bunch of d1 players, I say Richmond could have those too if their players had grades. Richmond rarely has kids with grades due to many factors. This fact is well known.

Millbrook was touted as a top team in Wake County in the pre-season due to their talent. They are talented. I have not seen them play so no idea if they have more talent than Richmond. They lost by one point to the team that lost in the second round to Scotland by two TDs. Other loss was to Wake Forest, which has their strongest team this season.

Richmond did not have a lot of size this season. In the two games I watched they were about equal with Butler, which has been smaller the last two years than in previous seasons, and Scotland was a larger squad.

I have not seen the other two quarterbacks but if you watch film of a QB running a triple option there are many situations where the QB apparently does his part but if you understand the offense you will see there was more that could have been done from a fundamentals standpoint. May appear very small in the movement or timing but it can make a large difference.

Scotland did not beat Richmond by leaving the QB alone, they won by crashing the line. Their tackles were firing straight ahead nearly every play and getting penetration. That is the first thing that causes issues for an option offense.

I was told before the Millbrook game that they were strong at defensive end. When a defense crashes the QB has to read for the first handoff and if he keeps the ball he must read the end. I expect the Millbrook end was taking the QB forcing a pitch. This is where Hoggard has been his strongest and what was noted by the Butler HC for delaying the pitch until the last instant.

Anyone around high school football will probably tell you that the JV team does not have as thick nor as complicated of a playbook. That is common. If a player plays JV all season, especially a QB, he will not have the same depth at the end of the season. May be more importantly he will not have the knowledge of what the other players on the field have to do on those plays.

To be an option qb at some point you need to be able to run the ball. This kid can not do that at a high level. He just can't. He may be the smartest kid out there, debatable, but it is clear he is the least athletic option richmond has put out at qb in a long time. If you are going to put in a new passing offense, I wish they would, then this would not be a big deal. However if you are going to run the option you need a legit running threat at quarterback.

These coaches have constantly told people that the kids at Richmond can't be taught. You hear it here over and over. It is time to let someone else try without these preconceived beliefs.

This is ugly and it is only getting worse. The younger hoggard doesn't deserve what he is and will be put through.

This post was edited on 11/23 6:25 PM by Heel yes

Isn't it true that crysnakes brother was dismissed from Richmonds team years ago for legal issues? Isn't it true that Raiderdev23's son or stepson wasn't good enough to beat out some of the players playing in front of him this year? Isn't it true that Heel Yes NEVER goes to the games and is just a puppet to others, so he changes tunes with the wind?

Axes to grind??
grin.r191677.gif

Maybe you would like your son to be led by a Coach that plays illegal players and have to forfeit the season or maybe you want him led by someone that blows a .18 and gets charged with DWI. As long as you win, to heck with teaching life lessons in Richmond County.
chairshot.r191677.gif

No ax to grind here buddy. Just making a true observation of the game. Love the game and have been a supporter since the beginning. As for who you think I am, you don't know me and I will be glad to discuss my feelings at any time. I will be there next year supporting them as I have since the school started. If you read my post I never said the current QB was inferior but I stand by my observation that I stated early in the year along with 90% of raider fans that the speed was not there to run the option and it would get figured out. Guess what, it happened. NEXT
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 11/23 9:23 PM by Raiderdev23

Our offense has not been a problem all year... We gave up 500 yards to Butler, and out scored them..... Gave up 600 yards to Vance, and out scored them.... Set a 40 year old record for most points scored in a game against Lumberton... And came close to setting a record for most points in the regular season.... Why are we complaining about a QB?... We didn't lose to Scotland cause we had 3 and outs on every possession ... We lost cause the defense could not get off the field and could not stop them..... And we didn't lose to Millbrook cause they shut our offense down.... Mark Arthurs starts his 3rd season with us next year of defensive coordinator and we will be in a great place.... he coach two of our top defensive teams in 01 and 05 and will finally have his players in place

The issue at Richmond regarding college eligibility may swing more to test scores. Some of the brightest there have to work a little extra on the SAT/ACT. Grades are an issue everywhere. One of the very best players in NC is not getting written scholarship offers he should because of his core GPA.

Doesn't sound like the quarterback was the problem if your whole team had that many fumbles. That means the entire offense was having a problem, especially the running backs and offensive line. But people will blame the quarterback just because...

As has been noted, Richmond's defense was the weak link. If you're disappointed in how the season ended, blame it on not being able to stop good teams consistently. To win State, you need offense, defense, and special teams.

At least fingers can't be pointed at the defense for this game. As many times as they were sent back onto the field after 1 or 2 plays and Millbrook was given pretty good field position to boot. Defense played as well as I have seen all year. Again thats just my opionion. Sure someone will disagree.
wink.r191677.gif

btango - you are correct about the test scores and qualifying. The test scores have been a problem even for some of the top students at Richmond the past couple of years. I'm talking about kids with over 4.0 gpa not being able to get into some of the top state schools because of test scores.

Originally posted by TarheelRaider:
btango - you are correct about the test scores and qualifying. The test scores have been a problem even for some of the top students at Richmond the past couple of years. I'm talking about kids with over 4.0 gpa not being able to get into some of the top state schools because of test scores.
I know this may be taking the thread in a different direction but why is this?

Originally posted by 1Twister:
Originally posted by TarheelRaider:
I know this may be taking the thread in a different direction but why is this?
Well I think that other horse has been beat to death. lol

I'm not sure what is causing this issue but I know for a fact there where several students that where in the top 20 in there class the did not get admitted to state schools due to lower test scores.

Richmond offers the ACT free to all Juniors in the spring. I don't think the prep courses are being offered like they where in the past but I may be wrong.

These test are as much about knowing how to take the test as they are about the information on the test. There are many little tricks or tips offered in the prep classes to help the student maximize there score with the knowledge they have gained through school.

There is no excuse for that. Those tests are test you can prepare for and in a short time improve significantly. Richmond's problem is change. Nobody there will change, anything. That has destroyed everything in the county.

How can anybody complain about an offense that averages almost 40 points a game???? Clearly that's not where the problem is. The defense is where the problem has been for the last several years. I thought this was probably the smallest group of guys on defense I've ever seen at Richmond. They were fast but just didn't tackle very good. The offense was fine all year. They lost two games all year. The Scotland game was not the offense's fault. Hard to score when the other team has the ball for over 30mins in a 48min game. The Millbrook game was just a bad all around game. Way to many turnovers. The defense did play a great game. Just put in to many bad situations. Having said all that I was very impressed with the JV QB. Should be a interesting battle for QB next year. Either way it turns out Richmond offense will be fine. The defense is where the help needs to be. Bye the way I believe the coaches did a outstanding job this year. 11-2 with the schedule they played is pretty damn good. No matter what people think this team was not loaded with a bunch of big time talent.

This post was edited on 11/24 6:54 PM by The Clash

This post was edited on 11/24 6:55 PM by The Clash

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT