ADVERTISEMENT

Legion Baseball

Rowan will host Davidson Co at Newman Park this Wednesday at 7pm in the playoffs

Last edited:
Asheboro didn't make the Area 3 playoffs but they still are going to make it to the regional they are hosting?

Area IV Quarterfinals (Best of 5)

(1) Shelby vs (9) Burke
(4) Gaston Braves vs (5) Asheville

(3) Cherryville vs (6) Union
(2) Rutherford vs (7) Gastonia

All series' start tomorrow, July 3rd.

Reactions: smashmouth5
What happened ER, y’all start your team back and Randolph couldn’t lock up all the Randolph county talent?
Well see what had happened was…

Think actually the story really was since Post 81 didn’t field a team last season, the players that played elsewhere could continue to play there. I know one pitcher did but Asheboro still couldn’t pick and choose like they did last year.
Also with the new Chatham Co team, glad to see that by the way, several HS they used to draw from now feed that team. Liberty (ugh) fielded a young Legion team this year, and an even younger junior team. If they can keep the boys coming should be pretty good in a couple of years.

Cat scratch,

Just curious, where is Buggy Town?
Carthage, in Moore County, is known as Buggy Town...I'm assuming its because they used to ride horse and buggies in and about town. Buggy Town plays their games at Union Pines High School.
P.S. What field/stadium does the Asheville Legion team use for their baseball events ? Thanks in advance.
The following paragraph was copied and pasted.

The Tysons and Jones Buggy Company earned the reputation for producing the "Cadillac of carriages." The horse-drawn buggy factory brought property to Carthage that is still apparent today when looking at many of the old homes around the town.

Post 82 over Burke 12-1 in 6. Colby Putnam had a grand slam in the 6th then Steven Spaes hit a 2 run homer to end it early. Putnam went the distance for the win.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
-Cherryville beats Union County in game 1 , 4-3 in eight innings on July 3, game played at Marvin Ridge.

-Union County beats Cherryville 9-5 in game 2, on July 4, at Cherryville.

Game 3, tonight will also be played at Cherryville.

-Cherryville beats Union County in game 1 , 4-3 in eight innings on July 3, game played at Marvin Ridge.

-Union County beats Cherryville 9-5 in game 2, on July 4, at Cherryville.

Game 3, tonight will also be played at Cherryville
Area 1 {1} Wayne County over {4} Roanoke 3-0 Series
{2}Pitt County over{3} Wilson- 2-1 Pitt County
Area 2 Hamlet 2-0 over Buggy Town
Hope Mills deafted Wadesboro 2-0
Carteret beat Tabor City 2-0
Area IV
1Shelby 2-0 over9 Burke
4 gaston braves vs5 ashville 1-1
2 rutherford 1-0 over Gastonia
3 Cherryville 1-1 vs.6 Union

It appears the Asheville Post 70 squad has " tryouts " at T. C. Roberson and play their games at West Henderson High School.
P.S. Since Whiteville evidently is not fielding a Legion team this year, are their players playing for Tabor City ? I've never heard of a Legion team in Tabor City before this year. Its also hard to phantom Area III only having eight teams participating. Hats off to the coaches, players, fans, and sponsors that are still danglin' by a thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidd12
Shelby closes out Burke County 7-1. Wyatt McSwain had 2 RBI's and Caleb Summey was on the mound.

Will face Gaston Braves/Asheville winner.

Reactions: SHS LION
It appears the Asheville Post 70 squad has " tryouts " at T. C. Roberson and play their games at West Henderson High School.
P.S. Since Whiteville evidently is not fielding a Legion team this year, are their players playing for Tabor City ? I've never heard of a Legion team in Tabor City before this year. Its also hard to phantom Area III only having eight teams participating. Hats off to the coaches, players, fans, and sponsors that are still danglin' by a thread.
Back in the 1970s - 1990s, Whiteville Post 137 was one of the best teams in the east. I am not sure when they stopped regularly fielding teams but it has been on and off over the last decade.
Back in the day, Post 137 drew kids from Nakina, Williams Township, Tabor City, Whiteville, Hallsboro, Clarkton, East Bladen, and Bladenboro.

Several of these high schools were consolidated into South Columbus just outside of Tabor City. I believe their legion coach is the S. Columbus head coach. Whiteville players are on the Tabor City team.

It’s difficult for me to understand the legion baseball decline. I attribute the decline to the following.

Travel ball has marketed their product well and have parents believing they are the only way to a college career. In fact, travel ball pits you against players your age and legion ball forces young players to compete with older players - just like in college.

Travel associations rank their players and the parents believe these rankings.

Travel ball players know they are going to get a lot of playing time as long as mom and dad come up with the funds. Players are not guaranteed to make the legion team and play time is definitely not guaranteed.

If you can play baseball, colleges will find you. Save your money folks and play legion baseball- for those that can make the team.

Lastly, it does not appear the legion posts are funding the programs like they did back in the day.

On a side note, players are playing year round and arm surgeries are unbelievably high even with the restrictive pitch counts. In the 1980s, baseball was not year round and pitchers started and finished 9 inning games. Sure there were injuries but not at the rate of todays players. Let your son play multiple sports.

That should about complete my rant for today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT