ADVERTISEMENT

Legion Baseball

Skools

Jul 10, 2009
What happened to all the Legion Baseball stuff on this forum? Standings ect?

I just saw the schedule last night for this year's NC/SC Challenge. It's this weekend at Campbell University hosted by Garner (formerly Fuquay-Varina).

Friday: 5:00 Pitt County vs Florence
7:30 Garner vs Florence

Saturday: 11:00 Wayne County vs Florence
1:30 Pitt County vs Horry County
4:00 Pitt County vs Rock Hill
6:30 Garner vs Rock Hill

Sunday: 12:00 Wayne County vs Rock Hill
2:30 Wayne County vs Horry County
5:00 Garner vs Horry County

Legion ball is dieing and I hate it…..hopefully people get smart and realize that colleges can’t talk to you til your a junior and go back to legion
I agree, but real problem from college standpoint is the portal. Take an 17-18 year old not proven or take a 2-4 year college player. Better be a real stud from HS. I think you are going to see Division II and juco blowup.

Reactions: nwguilford007
Area II South

Wilmington Post 10 7-1 (1-0)
Tabor City Post 507 3-1 (2-0)
Port City Post 545. 4-3 (1-1)
Hampstead Post 167 4-2 (0-2)
Carteret Post 99. 3-2 (0-1)

Area II. North

Hope Mills Post 32. 3-6 (2-0)
Hamlet Post 49. 7-4 (0-0)
Jacksonville Post 265 1-4 (0-0)
Wadesboro Post 446 0-8 (0-0)
Buggy Town Post 12. 0-8 (0-2)

I agree, but real problem from college standpoint is the portal. Take an 17-18 year old not proven or take a 2-4 year college player. Better be a real stud from HS. I think you are going to see Division II and juco blowup.
I agree….to be division 1 out of high school now you gotta be a true stud

I spoke to a Div I coach a few years ago and he had recently gone to a showcase type of event. I asked if he saw any potential recruits and he said you drive a long way to look at a couple of players.

I think moms and dads have to realize the a travel team needs 9 PAYING members just to showcase 1 to 2 players. Everyone thinks just because they pay their son is going to get quality offers. The D1 scholarships are limited and a coach has to be very judicious in their allocation. I don’t believe DIII can offer sports related funds.

I know Post 10 has sent countless players to D1 schools. We have 2 at NCSU right now.

I spoke to a Div I coach a few years ago and he had recently gone to a showcase type of event. I asked if he saw any potential recruits and he said you drive a long way to look at a couple of players.

I think moms and dads have to realize the a travel team needs 9 PAYING members just to showcase 1 to 2 players. Everyone thinks just because they pay their son is going to get quality offers. The D1 scholarships are limited and a coach has to be very judicious in their allocation. I don’t believe DIII can offer sports related funds.

I know Post 10 has sent countless players to D1 schools. We have 2 at NCSU right now.
I agree and a lot of times organizations like dirtbags have lots of lower level teams where they charge outrageous amounts to have 1 team that’s plays for free. Basically when you are on the free team you know your good

Speaking of Cherryville Post 100, Was thinking they might be really competitive this season, having lost only lost a single game to Post 23 from Gastonia. Then more recently shut out this same Post 23 team 4-0
Last week, made me wonder, though, as they lost to Wayne County in a tournament, then lost badly, twice, to Rutherford County in a double header at home.

Area II South

Wilmington Post 10 7-1 (1-0)
Tabor City Post 507 3-1 (2-0)
Port City Post 545. 4-3 (1-1)
Hampstead Post 167 4-2 (0-2)
Carteret Post 99. 3-2 (0-1)

Area II. North

Hope Mills Post 32. 3-6 (2-0)
Hamlet Post 49. 7-4 (0-0)
Jacksonville Post 265 1-4 (0-0)
Wadesboro Post 446 0-8 (0-0)
Buggy Town Post 12. 0-8 (0-2)
Tabor City beat Port City last night 19 t0 6. Play Post 10 on Thursday in Tabor City. I know post 10 is loaded but maybe we can hang in there.

Tabor City beat Port City last night 19 t0 6. Play Post 10 on Thursday in Tabor City. I know post 10 is loaded but maybe we can hang in there.
I was planning on making the trip to South Columbus but will not be able to make it. Word is that y'all have a very strong team. Post 10 is down a little bit this year but it should be a good one.

Speaking of Cherryville Post 100, Was thinking they might be really competitive this season, having lost only lost a single game to Post 23 from Gastonia. Then more recently shut out this same Post 23 team 4-0
Last week, made me wonder, though, as they lost to Wayne County in a tournament, then lost badly, twice, to Rutherford County in a double header at home.
Cherryville Post 100 is currently in first place in the Area IV standings. Since their double header loss to Rutherford they were off for a week and got started back this week with two road wins (Wednesday vs Hickory and last night vs Caldwell County). There is a good bit of parity in Area IV this year as you can tell by the standings listed below.

Cherryville has 5 games left to play in the regular season (all at home) prior to the playoffs. They play Gaston Post 144-266 Saturday, a double header Sunday vs Union County, Queen City on Tuesday and finish up with Shelby on Wednesday. Come on out to see them play at the newly renovated Fraley Field. Lots of improvements...new digital scoreboard, new fencing including padded OF fencing, enclosure of the bull pen areas, upgrade of the handicap area, cosmetic improvements, and better restroom facilities (use of the restrooms next door in Beam Intermediate School).

Cherryville is hosting this year's state legion tournament (7/20 thru 7/24) and has lots of activities coming up related to that event. On Thursday 7/18 there will a kickoff celebration in downtown Cherryville between 7 -10 PM with the Band of Oz providing free entertainment. On 7/19 there will be parade through downtown Cherryville beginning at 4:30 that will include all the players and coaches from the 8 participating teams followed immediately by a 6:00 banquet at the First Baptist Church that will include an induction ceremony for 6 new NC American Legion HOF members including Lincoln County's Jay Heafner. Following the Banquet a Home Derby (free of charge) will be held in Fraley Field. State tournament play begins 9:00 Saturday morning with 4 games on tap Saturday as well as Sunday. The theme for the state tournament is "Fans in the Stands" as we are trying our best to fill the stands and keep American Legion baseball alive and well in Cherryville, NC.

N.C. Area IV 2024 - through games played 6/20

Current Standing

Cherryville Post 100 12-3 15-4
Rutherford County Post 423 11-4 11-4
Union Post 535 11-6 11-6
Shelby Post 82 10-6 13-6
Gaston Post 144-266 10-6 10-6
Asheville Post 70 9-7 9-7
Gastonia Post 23 8-8 8-8
Caldwell County Post 29 7-8 7-8
Burke County Post 21 4-12 4-12
Queen City 2- 12 2-12