ADVERTISEMENT

Jones Senior forfeits 2019 season

Not good news. Tarboro was expecting a huge homecoming weekend. Not having a game is going to hurt. Specifically the gate for the school and concession stand for the booster club. Was probably gonna be the biggest crowd in the regular season.

I was just about to ask about Tarboro's homecoming now. What in the world will they do now? Aside from the actual game, homecoming is an event. Crowning the king and queen in the gym doesn't have the same pizzazz.

Didn't they play for a state title a few years ago?
If they did it had to have been light years ago - seen them play twice and I truly believe Tarboros middle school team would give them a game. Sucks they folded but I’m not surprised.

Jones did not have a middle school team this year either. Not looking good for football in Jones County.

Any team out there have an open date next Friday night and want to play Tarboro??

Any team out there have an open date next Friday night and want to play Tarboro??
Roanoke Rapids does and they only have 10 games scheduled. Not sure that Tarboro can schedule another game though. Isn’t there an 11 game regular season limit? And technically Tarboro has 11 games scheduled. Just one of them is a forfeit.

Last edited:
Roanoke Rapids does and they only have 10 games scheduled. Not sure that Tarboro can schedule another game though. Isn’t there an 11 game regular season limit? And technically Tarboro has 11 games scheduled. Just one of them is a forfeit.

They would be able to replace Jones in the schedule.

If they could find a private prep school somewhere that hasn’t reached their game limit, perhaps there is a chance... But getting a place like that (Hargrave or Fork Union or something along those lines) would be difficult.

They would be able to replace Jones in the schedule.
I doubt if they can just replace the game with another one. It's just gonna be counted as a 2-0 win when the time comes.

The best bet might be to see if Northside-Pinetown would come play in Tarboro that week since they have a bye on the 18th. And then both teams would have a bye the week they were originally scheduled to play.

I would imagine we would have to offer them some sort of financial compensation since they’d be giving up a home game.

Reactions: SWE'98
Even with it being a conference game?

Teams are allowed to play eleven games as long as at least one is an endowment game which requires the state to get a cut. There is no set amount of conference / non conference games.

Replacing a team on the schedule should not be an issue if another school has an open date and has ten or less games scheduled.

Teams are allowed to play eleven games as long as at least one is an endowment game which requires the state to get a cut. There is no set amount of conference / non conference games.

Replacing a team on the schedule should not be an issue if another school has an open date and has ten or less games scheduled.

I'm thinking since the game was already scheduled it will go on their record with the forfeit and they wouldn't be able to add another game. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: TarVikes
I was told at the jv game tonight by someone in the program that some 2a, 3a and 4a schools had been approached about it with no takers and that Roanoke Rapids said they did not want to play.

why can't a school play someone twice..

They can. Two Cabarrus County schools are playing twice due to a common opponent School opening be delayed a year. One is conference, one conference.

Scotland and Richmond played twice a year a few times. First game non conference, second conference game.

Some schools in the remote eastern part of the state played three times a few years.

I was told at the jv game tonight by someone in the program that some 2a, 3a and 4a schools had been approached about it with no takers and that Roanoke Rapids said they did not want to play.
Only a few teams will have a current ten game schedule with the same open date. Would be curious to know what teams meet that criteria.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
When I posted earlier, I was half kidding. It's an nearly an impossibility that you can find a team with 10 or less scheduled games within a 2 hour drive with that open date that wants to play a one-off road game on short notice to be Tarboro's homecoming opponent. It seems to me you only have 2 options. See if someone on your schedule can swap dates or change the homecoming activities to a different week. None of those options is going to be easy.

As an old dude, I have to laugh when people think 2011 was light years ago.

Same here.. same year I graduated high school!

Such a shame.. Jones were very hard willed that year. I watched that entire game, loved how they were coached. Shame they've dropped so hard.

You can. Those Cherokee teams a few years ago benefited hugely from that playing Andrews for every preseason game (at least it seemed that way)! :)

Reactions: Mhsneer
Same here.. same year I graduated high school!

Such a shame.. Jones were very hard willed that year. I watched that entire game, loved how they were coached. Shame they've dropped so hard.
Shows how far a strong defense can take you.

Its going to hard to fill that spot by it being conference play & getting close to the playoffs. No would want to take that risk imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT